Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

Defense is set. People can stop freaking out now.

Anyone care to reconsider their stance on BM being the same as GM?

I like the Niskanen and Peters deals, but not the Orpik one. Its just too long and too much money for a guy that age.

But I am not freaking out. I was not pleased with that deal, but I was not shaking my fist either. 

Uh no??

They just overpaid like crazy for someone that MAY make the defense average.

We didn't just sign Seabrook

I don't hate Niskanen tho so maybe I'll wait and see

I'm more pissed about letting Grabo walk

If you'll note, however, I singled out both Orpik and Niskanen as guys I was not interested in, so of course we took them both to high-paying long-term contracts, one of whom will be 38 by the time his contract is up and has already begun his regression. The other, I wasn't convinced was as good as his one good season implied, plus he's not the stay-at-home type we're lacking.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24602907/matt-niskanen-joins-capitals-on-seven-year-4025-million-deal

The consensus top free agent among defenseman has landed with the Washington CapitalsMatt Niskanen will join former Penguins teammate Brooks Orpik with the Capitals on a seven-year, $40.25 million contract. That's an annual average of $5.75 million for the 27-year-old defenseman.

He was the top scorer among all available defensemen with 46 points, including 10 goals in 81 games for the Penguins. He also was a standout performer in the postseason with nine points in 13 games for the Penguins.

Niskanen is an eight-year veteran of the league and has 167 points in 491 career NHL games.

If you'll note, however, I singled out both Orpik and Niskanen as guys I was not interested in, so of course we took them both to high-paying long-term contracts, one of whom will be 38 by the time his contract is up and has already begun his regression. The other, I wasn't convinced was as good as his one good season implied, plus he's not the stay-at-home type we're lacking.

Stated perfectly

I assume one will play 3rd line duty unless we trade Green and they're both on the 2nd D pair.

I posted this on HF but apparently Niskanen led the league in +/- for defensemen last season. We should at least have an NHL worthy defense next season.

I assume one will play 3rd line duty unless we trade Green and they're both on the 2nd D pair.

I posted this on HF but apparently Niskanen led the league in +/- for defensemen last season. We should at least have an NHL worthy defense next season.

Um what????????? With those salaries, I really doubt either will be playing 3rd line minutes and if they are, it means they were playing horribly

Um what????????? With those salaries, I really doubt either will be playing 3rd line minutes and if they are, it means they were playing horribly

Green makes more then both of them I think. So based on your argument Green should get more ice then them.

It's Obviously Carlson/Alzner, then we have Green, Orpik, Niskanen, Orlov.

I'd be perfectly happy trading Green for a true 2C.

Green makes more then both of them I think. So based on your argument Green should get more ice then them.

It's Obviously Carlson/Alzner, then we have Green, Orpik, Niskanen, Orlov.

I'd be perfectly happy trading Green for a true 2C.

There have been plenty of times where Alzner and Carlson have been split.

My point is that we brought them in for all that money so I doubt they are playing 3rd line minutes 

There have been plenty of times where Alzner and Carlson have been split.

My point is that we brought them in for all that money so I doubt they are playing 3rd line minutes

Right, but Alzner and Carlson are definitely not getting 3rd line minutes. So it's either one of the new two guys or Mike Green. Say what you will about Green but he is not a 3rd liner by far.

Makes the most sense that Green gets traded. That or Carlson or Alzner but I'd **** bricks if they get traded.

Right, but Alzner and Carlson are definitely not getting 3rd line minutes. So it's either one of the new two guys or Mike Green. Say what you will about Green but he is not a 3rd liner by far.

Makes the most sense that Green gets traded. That or Carlson or Alzner but I'd **** bricks if they get traded.

I agree that Green is gone and i won't shed a tear. 

You did this to us! Curse you a thousand curses!

I was holding off my GMBM judgments until at least seeing what he does in FA. ... I miss GMGM already.

I didn't say I wanted to spend 70 million on both of them.

Wouldn't be mad at the Niskanen deal, the Orpik deal sounds like Vinny Cerrato opined on it.

I think both of these deals are terrible. Everyone agrees on the Orpik deal so I won't get into that. As far as the Niskanen deal goes, I just don't trust guys that have that one seemingly great year in their contract year and one other decent year in an otherwise unremarkable 7 year career. The only redeeming part of the niskanen deal is that he is only 27 so I hopefully he could stay 2nd pairing defender under Trotz.

Here is my biggest concern with these two signings: we have a giant hole at the 2C spot with no money to fill that position and, after next year, the Caps may need to find a way to pay Holtby. I know Green comes off the books, but $6 million won't fill the 2C and pay Holtby if he has a great year. I won't even mention needing to pay Kuznetsov and Wilson in the next 2 years. These contracts are going to help crush this team in 3 years.

I just don't know what to think for the long term.  What I do believe is that this franchise realizes that the window to win w/ Ovechkin and Backstrom is slowly closing.  The money they spent today is absurd, but they are going all in on trying to compete for a cup.  There is no doubt that our defensive corps today is 10x better than what it was to end the year.  We have a legit top-4 and our bottom 2 aren't going to be shabby as well. 

Carlson – Green
Alzner – Niskanen
Orpik – Orlov

It's not bad.  What's done is done w/ the contracts.  All we can do is hope that Trotz works his magic and makes this unit elite.  He did wonders in Nashville, and on paper, this is about as talented of a group that he's probably coached in the pros.  Let's just hope for the best. 

*I wonder if this team has Green in the plans?  2C is still a mystery and the money isn't there outside of going dumpster diving.  For some reason, I don't think GMBM is done dealing.  I guess we should brace ourselves. 

Chuck Gormley @ChuckGormleyCSN

Caps GM Brian MacLellan says Mike Green still part of Caps' future

I'm pretty sure the Caps still have plenty of cap space.

EDIT

Nevermind, 1.1M.

We aren't getting anyone unless we move Green (6M), Laich (4.5M) or Brower (3.6M)

Brooks Laich will be the 2C. I'm bracing myself for it now so I won't be so disappointed when that happens.

This reminds me of when we had Semin and no 2C then we let Semin walk, get a 2C and don't have a 2nd line scoring winger.

D will be better, but O will be worse.

I think we trade Green.  No one is going to say Green is not in the plans if we are trying to trade him.

Finding the right place needs to happen sooner than later.

If we can trade him and clear up some room I would seriously give Nik Antropov a shout.  I know I'm the only one around here who supports that move, but why not?

I can't believe they committed that long of a deal and that much loot to Brooks Orpik... honestly I think us message board posters could have negotiated a better contract than that, not kidding in the least. The entire NHL feels bad for us Caps fans right now.

Happy to have Niskanen though. The Orpik deal is mind boggling

Ted has always spent money on players. It's his inability to hire competent GMs that has been his biggest downfall.

I hope Ted and GMBM are completely aware on how they Caps are being raked over the coals by everyone with regard to the Orpik deal. Watching a bit of NHL tv and it was a unanimous decision on what the worst deal of the day was. The commentators have been crushing the deal all day long.

There is no way GMGM makes either of those deals.

We would be without two new defensemen AND Grabovski would be gone. We would dumpster dive some patchwork defensemen or call up some lifetime AHL'ers. Our center situation would be just as average as it's always been.

Not happy about the terms, but at least he did something to address our needs as a team.

Archived