Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

Berube also got eliminated in the first round and there's no guarantee he'll be a good coach. It's very difficult to pick a successful coach. At this point just give Trotz a chance and give him a new start. 

Watching the IIHF gold medal game on NBCSN right now. Ovechkin's Russia up on Finland. Ovechkin is captain of this team.

Doesn't answer my question at all.

I only cited Berube because DC9 tried to imply there was nobody out there with any Stanley Cup experience (he was referring to coaches).  My point was up in Philadelphia they just fired a coach with Stanley Cup experience, and hired a former player with Stanley Cup experience.  Their are options.  I am sure Laviollette would have listened on the Caps job as well.

Adam Oates never had a chance here in my opinion.  The strike year, a team in disarray, and what I consider to be a roster without any chance to compete in the playoffs.  There was so much pressure on Adam to make Ovechkin happy and help Ovechkin fit in.  Not saying he would ever be a great coach, but Trotz has had ample time to win a playoff series.  Oates could only dream of such an opportunity.

It really doesn't matter anyways because Ted Leonsis is afraid to hire a real GM.  Ted is Abe Pollin's twin.  Now I know why Abe sold to him.  Abe knew Steady Teddy cared more about loyalty to his friends (think Susan Omalley)) than fielding a real sports team.  The fact that he hired a coach before hiring a GM (even if he is going to promote from within) is yet another example why we are a long ways from winning a Stanley Cup.

Another couple years of mediocrity.  Hurray.  Oh well, I have lived this since the 70's.  Might as well live it forever.

I only cited Berube because DC9 tried to imply there was nobody out there with any Stanley Cup experience (he was referring to coaches).  My point was up in Philadelphia they just fired a coach with Stanley Cup experience, and hired a former player with Stanley Cup experience.  Their are options.  I am sure Laviollette would have listened on the Caps job as well.

No, that's not what I implied.  You implied that we didn't go after a coach who has a stanley cup winning pedigree...

The coaches that are available that do are all taken.  That's all I was saying.

I think Trotz was the best available coach.  Is he an ideal slam dunk?  Maybe, not of the top, but he may be one day.  What he's done is shown that he can play some vicious defensive hockey, make defensemen better, and make a goalie better.  That's been a problem for us.  This is how you fix it, you bring in a guy who is committed to a system that invites dump and chase into it's zone and then gets the puck out quickly to transition to offense.

The one thing we have here that he didn't have or NEVER had in Nashville, is the best goal scorer in the world.

I never said it had to be a coach to win the Stanley Cup.  We weren't in any rush to hire anyone.  The Flyers fired Laviolette who has shown he can both play hockey and coach in the Stanley Cup finals.  They hire Craig Berube a guy who played in the Stanley Cup finals and had a long NHL career as a player.  We hire a guy who has won in the AHL in the Caps organization and never played in the NHL.

The main problem with this team is our defensive makeup of players, and on ice leadership.  Not sure how promoting a GM from within and hiring a one and done coach fixes any of our problems.

Oh, and I don't know what players, assistants, etc are  in the league who have been to the Stanley Cup, I am sure there are a couple.

Trotz gives Steady Teddy exactly what he wants.  Annual trips to the playoffs.

Great players are not always great coaches.  The hard working ones are typically better than the naturally talented ones.  But I'd take a guy like Trotz, whose shown he can win in the NHL over a player whose never coached but has played in a final.

Wouldn't that be "same old Ted" with another first time head coach?

Wouldn't that be "same old Ted" with another first time head coach?

Not suggesting we had hire Berube.  Not at all.  I guess my biggest frustration is hiring a coach without a GM.  It might work out, but it's not how good teams operate.  Bringing Paul Fenton AND Trotz in wouldn't make me happy either.  Usually assistants from winning teams get plucked away, not teams who didn't make the playoffs the last couple of years.

Oh well.  I had my doubts on Ted bringing in a bonafide GM or President who had any sort of control.

Not suggesting we had hire Berube.  Not at all.  I guess my biggest frustration is hiring a coach without a GM.  It might work out, but it's not how good teams operate.  Bringing Paul Fenton AND Trotz in wouldn't make me happy either.  Usually assistants from winning teams get plucked away, not teams who didn't make the playoffs the last couple of years.

Oh well.  I had my doubts on Ted bringing in a bonafide GM or President who had any sort of control.

I'm with you 100% on making an internal hire for the GM job.  I really don't like that.

I don't know what the situation is or was like with Ted and what went on during the interview process.  I do firmly believe folks had little to no respect for McPhee at the trade deadline the last couple of years and that was apparent.  They knew he was sucking and needed to make moves.  But I'm also not 100% sure how much guys would like to work for Ted.  As much poop as we give Dan, Ted is in the same boat about not showing that he can sign a top level executive to run the show.

As much poop as we give Dan, Ted is in the same boat about not showing that he can sign a top level executive to run the show.

I remember that letter or blog Ted wrote his 10 point plan and we were all praising him as the best owner in town.  http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/2/26/772915/ted-leonsis-shares-his-ten

He has since been spiraling downward quickly.  He really isn't any better than any other teams owner in this town.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2014/05/24/report-caps-close-to-hiring-barry-trotz-as-new-head-coach/

Chip,

Check out some of the comments below the article here from RMNB.  There's a cat who covers the Preds but is a Caps fan.  Some interesting, no bull **** stuff in there.

And the usual hockey fan humor. :lol:

Some of those comments make me feel a lot better.  The one thing I always felt we lacked is grit, toughness, a mean streak.  Hopefully he brings that.  In the comments they also reference their goalie coach.  It would be nice to get him too.

Here's his goal during the game, btw.

At first glance I wondered why you posted that pic.  I thought it was some Asian kid.  I didn't recognize him at all.

I remember that letter or blog Ted wrote his 10 point plan and we were all praising him as the best owner in town.  http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/2/26/772915/ted-leonsis-shares-his-ten

He has since been spiraling downward quickly.  He really isn't any better than any other teams owner in this town.

I've never been a big Teddy guy.  The last few years I've actually been very sour on him.  Part of that is the praise he gets from the casual fan and part of that is the disdain that Dan gets from the same fan, for no reason....

Teddy and friends have lucked into one of the greatest players in the history of this game.  If he fails to win a cup with Ovechkin it will be something he should be held accountable for forever.

Outside of that he's really done very little for "the fans" except beat one or two up who are critical of him.

At first glance I wondered why you posted that pic.  I thought it was some Asian kid.  I didn't recognize him at all.

Didn't even notice that. :lol:   He probably hasn't smiled that big in a while. 

I honestly am not pleased by the GM signing. Yes, he's a guy who's already an insider in the organization and knows it but we don't need that. We do not want more mediocrity. We want Cups. 

In order to take the next step, I thought the Caps had to sign a GM that had won it before. I thought they'd have to get someone new outside the organization instead of someone who has already been in the organization and is already familiar with it. In some cases that can be a good thing. But going outside the organization is also a good thing too. This team needs a shakeup in the FO. Simply promoting someone who is already working there is not a drastic shakeup. Someone like Shero would have been aggressive and gone all-out to make this team a contender. 

The MacClellan hiring really perturbs me. Let's see how the boy does though. 

Very pleased with Trotz.

Really wanted Sweeny.  Not very happy with an internal GM hire.

Of course... the narrative here in the local papers will be about "patience" and "building an organization from within" and the like.  Not like that guy Dan...

The positives about MacClellan - he knows the team and he's won a Stanley Cup with the Flames. He has been with the organization since 2000. He has been the "Director of Player Scouting" before with this organization. 

The negatives - no experience as an actual GM and is just a guy promoted from within. 

I'm a bit more positive because of his experience as a director of player scouting. He's worked in this organization for over a decade...so does that mean he is just another McPhee or is he someone new? I would guess he's just another McPhee. 

Archived