Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

There are like 3 GM vacancies and plenty of candidates available. Vancouver, Washington, and the other I can't remember. It really shouldn't take this long. 

The sooner they hire a GM, the sooner they can hire a coach. They should have just hired Shero the day after he was let go. 

As a Sabres fan... I found Pat LaFontaine`s GM search to be extra-ordinarily long (ie a few months). I thought it was unusual. Especially since Brian Burke (Calgary Flames) was also looking for a GM at the same time and might steal their guy. Burke dragged his feet as well -- hell, I`m not even sure he`s hired anybody yet! :-)

Perhaps this is the new M.O. for organizations.... performing due diligence in acquiring the G.M.  It seems like NHL GM`s have a longer shelf life than most other professional sports. Perhaps because it takes younger players (ie. drafted players) much longer to develop that you never know the competency of your GM for awhile... so you want to make sure you select a good one. Just a hunch.

Can I be GM? I'm looking for a job...

Sure, why not. There plenty of GM and coach candidates in this thread. Just look at how much more they know than the guys who get the jobs. A few haven't been posting as much since the end of the season. They must be working on their resumes. They come in every once and a while to get their "Pearls of Wisdom" from this thread to show how much they know about hockey. Otherwise, tney are quiet trying to prepare for that interview.

I personally love the "when all else fails blame ovechkin" group.  Not like he's the reason people still come to games or anything.  We don't need his goals anyway.  We score plenty without him.

the drive by fan.  I liken them to the group who say we're stupid for not wanting Bylsma... who is a "proven" coach.  The guy who just proved who can't win with what's probably the 2nd most talented roster in the league... might be the most talented. 

But I digress. 

No opinions on Halak yet?

4 years and 18 mil from the Islanders.

Also confirmed today were that Gretzky is "unlikely" and Trotz has an interview.

It's all happening according to plan. :wub:

No opinions on Halak yet?

4 years and 18 mil from the Islanders.

Also confirmed today were that Gretzky is "unlikely" and Trotz has an interview.

It's all happening according to plan. :wub:

I'll be perfectly honest, if the option for Don Sweeney means that the Caps start to resemble the Bruins in personnel, and we have our own goon squad to roam, smash people, intimidate - I'll take Door #2. 

I know everyone likes star power and I'm sure the Great One would draw even more celebrity plastic to the arena, have everyone atwitter, but I'd like to have some postseason success. I literally have no idea if he (WG) really has a keen front office mind. You know?

Give me gritty. 

but what about a GM?

sweeney_don_0913.jpg

Don Sweeney

Assistant General Manager

Don Sweeney is in his eighth season in the Bruins front office and is in his fifth year as Assistant General Manager. He joined Peter Chiarelli's staff in June, 2006 as the team's Director of Player Development and added the position of Director of Hockey Operations to his portfolio in July, 2007 before being named to his current position. 

He oversees the development of the team's drafted prospects at the AHL, junior hockey, college and European levels in addition to having a supervisory role in the day-to-day operations of the hockey department. 

Sweeney organized and ran the team's first off-season Development Camp in July, 2007, bringing the club's top prospects to Boston in advance of the main September training camp.

Development camp gives the prospects the opportunity to get to know each other on and off the ice while teaching them the level of dedication and training necessary for them to reach the next stage of their careers.

The Development Camp is now an annual event, with the seventh such camp held this past summer. 

Drafted by the Bruins as their eighth pick, 166th overall, in the 1984 NHL Entry Draft.

He played four seasons of college hockey at Harvard University. He earned both NCAA East All-American and ECAC First Team All-Star honors with the Crimson and played in the 1986 NCAA Finals before graduating with a degree in Economics. 

The defenseman played 16 seasons in the National Hockey League, including 15 in a Bruins uniform.

He is one of just two defensemen and four players in team history to play over 1,000 games in a Boston sweater and he still ranks third on the team's all-time games played list. He also ranks in the top ten of the club's all-time lists in career goals, assists and points by a defenseman.

He played his final NHL season with the Dallas Stars in 2003-04.

I know everyone likes star power and I'm sure the Great One would draw even more celebrity plastic to the arena, have everyone atwitter, but I'd like to have some postseason success. I literally have no idea if he (WG) really has a keen front office mind. You know?

Give me gritty. 

Agreed.  Give me a heavier game any day of the week.

I want nothing to do with Gretzky, so that was good news.  I dig Trotz, but only if the GM matches what he likes.  His style of play is what could be successful if given the right pieces. 

Archived