Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

MAF wasn't the reason the Pens lost the series.  While he wasn't spectacular, he wasn't terrible either. 

*edit*

You know who was terrible?  Sidney Crosby.  Hope he enjoys his summer of criticism and being treated like a Russian. 

They were already making excuses for him after the game. Olympic hangiover from captaining Canada to gold, to many games in the last 5 years blah, blah, blah.

I don't want Bylsma. He would suck here. He hasn't done jack since the Cup, the Penguins have basically been Caps style choking in the playoffs with loaded rosters.

Give me a young hungry up and comer from a winning organization like the Bruins or Blackhawks.

Say what now? :P

For the record (in case you forgot my stance) I loved Bruce. Loved him. But he had to go. When the voice gets old and players stop listening, you have to change it.

Also, to your earlier point, I don't think this team is full of losers. Granted, they've never one anything on a championship level, but the real problem with this team is the different styles they've had to learn over the years. Either full gun, stay at home, in the middle with Oates. The problem started after Halak went nuts and I think we just changed it up a year too early.

That coupled with some bad trades and offseason decisions and here we are.

Veteran leadership will help that, but it's more for the sports psychs to figure out or for us to find a coach willing to tell these guys to sack the **** up and then them listening to it.

I disagree about Bruce. In hindsight, I would have kept Bruce and traded any players who he thought weren't paying attention to his coaching. Any of them. Bruce should have been the face of the franchise.

Bruce will be a top tier coach long after Ovechkin, Backstrom and Green are relevant NHL players. Bruce has proven that he doesn't need any of them to be successful.

Anyhow, that's living in the past.

We need a coach, ASAP. Between Trotz and Bylsma I'd probably rather have Trotz. I think Bylsma would be decent as well.

So you would have traded Ovi and kept Boudreau?

I doubt that very seriously

In hindsight, yeah.

I didn't think that Boudreau would go elsewhere and take another team from the bottom to the top with the same coaching scheme he had in DC. I didn't think that Ovechkin would decline in all aspects of hockey other than goal scoring.

I think, in retrospect, that we could have traded any and all of the star players of this team to other teams and received players (or picks) that Boudreau could have turned into a good set of players.

Anahiem is basically one line. Perrault is their 2C for gods sake. That team is Perry, Getzlaf and about 12 plugs that Boudreau has playing out of their mind.

100% I would have kept Boudreau and traded away Ovechkin for say Towes and a first. Backstrom for Parise. Green for a bag of chips.

I disagree about Bruce. In hindsight, I would have kept Bruce and traded any players who he thought weren't paying attention to his coaching. Any of them. Bruce should have been the face of the franchise.

Bruce will be a top tier coach long after Ovechkin, Backstrom and Green are relevant NHL players. Bruce has proven that he doesn't need any of them to be successful.

Anyhow, that's living in the past.

We need a coach, ASAP. Between Trotz and Bylsma I'd probably rather have Trotz. I think Bylsma would be decent as well.

You have fun going bankrupt when you trade that once in a generation player to keep your coach.

Sometimes it is what it is.

You have fun going bankrupt when you trade that once in a generation player to keep your coach.

Sometimes it is what it is.

Exactly. While I seriously the doubt would be any better with BB still there and Ovi gone, the financial implications would be even steeper.

How does it look keeping a coach that loses every season over the HOF talent?

Exactly. While I seriously the doubt would be any better with BB still there and Ovi gone, the financial implications would be even steeper.

How does it look keeping a coach that loses every season over the HOF talent?

HOF talent that also continues to lose every season as well. HOF talent who has performed decreasingly worse since the loss of Boudreau.

Perhaps that coach that was fired is an HOF coach. The best coach (record wise) this team has seen by far. The same coach that finally took that HOF talent to his very first playoffs.

At what point do we put the failures of this team on the shoulders of the players who are actually out there?

Trust me man, I see what you're saying. I agree to a point.

But this was back in 2011

I know. That's why I qualified everything by saying "in retrospect". I went along with it begrudgingly. I didn't want Boudreau gone but I saw the reasoning behind it. I definitely wouldn't have traded Ovechkin and Backstrom to keep him, that's for sure.

It's kinda weird. All the players I hated on NYR don't play for them anymore so I don't feel bad about them making it to the ECF

glad I wasn't the only one who didn't feel all that dirty rooting for Hank and Marty.

HOF talent that also continues to lose every season as well. HOF talent who has performed decreasingly worse since the loss of Boudreau.

Perhaps that coach that was fired is an HOF coach. The best coach (record wise) this team has seen by far. The same coach that finally took that HOF talent to his very first playoffs.

At what point do we put the failures of this team on the shoulders of the players who are actually out there?

I'm not willing to put the blame of one season not making the playoffs on THE guy that did what he was told to do by his coach... also the product of that guy being on the ice is how we scored most of our goals.

When the coach can't put a line combo out there to get a five on five goal, it's not on Ovechkin.

Also, when the team is built (for whatever reason) the way it was this year, heck, most of us went into this season skeptical because we didn't address the defense in the offseason. 

It's like blaming Griffin for last year.  If he'd have just scored on every possession we wouldn't have needed to worry about the special teams giving us the second worst field position in the history of the league and our defense being a glorified speed bump.

One hand has to wash the other in team sports.  The Caps looked like puke for most of the season.

Shero to DC with Trotz.  He and Trotz have a relationship from when Shero was Assist GM in Nashville. Shero knows talent, and Trotz knows defense. 

If Shero to DC will he bring Bylsma too? I don't know if I want Shero. He didn't address team weak esses
Shero can't draft worth a Damn. Forget him

Shero STACKED that team. We all WISH we could have had Pitts grittiness and compete level.  We have the talent to compete right now, if we can augment and add that sandpaper....

The problem is that Pitt hasn't been as good as dc either. They got beat by lower seed 5 straight years. Shero did bad job and drafted poorly. Whatever. On paper he would be the best based on red season. But can he help caps win cup

I will support whoever we get and wish them luck

The problem is that Pitt hasn't been as good as dc either. They got beat by lower seed 5 straight years. Shero did bad job and drafted poorly. Whatever. On paper he would be the best based on red season. But can he help caps win cup

I will support whoever we get and wish them luck

Who built the Cup winner in Pitt?

Archived