Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

Promoting Brian MacLellan to GM for Caps is baffling. Fire a guy too in love with his own players, promote someone in same dept.

This team needed fresh eyes in player personnel. Move reinforces they think they're closer to winning than anyone else believes they are.

I'm beginning to hate this team.

I put ZERO stock into the sour grapes that TSNSimmer is spewing...however, that Wysh quote is pretty telling.  While I'll hope for the best, we just promoted a man who was overseeing this mess of a roster WITH McPhee.  Love the Trotz hire, tho. 

I'm not about to give Ted the benefit of the doubt, but we don't know what happens internally. Maybe MacLellan was always the dissenting voice when GMGM decided to trade away our prospects for rentals, who knows...

I'm doubtful of this combo because I don't think two people with heads as big and round as they have can possibly get along with each other.

edit- actually might have just seen a bad pic of GMBM earlier. Another pic seems to indicate he has a normal shaped/sized head. I'm more optimistic.

I won't immediately call this a bad move at GM. It's very possible that it is, it's possible it works out.

Did we want the team to be blown up or just altered to be better? If we didn't want it blown up then this is a good thing.

But what is the point of keeping a assistant GM who has been here under Mcphee since 2000?  Ted said this was about have a fresh eyes.  What is fresh about that? The stuff coming out now makes it sounds like Patrick is running the show basically behind the scenes. 

I won't immediately call this a bad move at GM. It's very possible that it is, it's possible it works out.

Did we want the team to be blown up or just altered to be better? If we didn't want it blown up then this is a good thing.

There is no indication that this guy is going to alter the team. The young guys are his guys and he has said that he believes in them.

But what is the point of keeping a assistant GM who has been here under Mcphee since 2000?  Ted said this was about have a fresh eyes.  What is fresh about that? The stuff coming out now makes it sounds like Patrick is running the show basically behind the scenes.

There is no indication that this guy is going to alter the team. The young guys are his guys and he has said that he believes in them.

What changes to the roster would you guys say are needed?

How poorly is this team REALLY constructed?

Yeah I heard he said he had no problem with the defensemen pairings from last year.  Like seriously?

That's not the point.  Even if we thought we had a well constructed roster you can't change the culture of a organization with changing from the top.  They won't do that.  The fact is need a real defensemen and center.  Laich is not the answer.  But the fact is the organization just needs a complete change at the top.  If that results in some changes in the roster so be it.  It's not working right now.

Poor center depth so need to add a couple of centers.  Really need defensive help so need to add a couple. I'm not saying to blow it up, but I don't want to hear that the team is going to rely on Connor Carrick and that FA will be tough cause it's a thin group of players. I want to hear that this team is going to address the needs that every hockey fan on the planet knows the Caps have and that they will be aggressive in FA to address needs.

I always give a team a pass on FA if they legitimately try to land a couple players and just don't get it done but don't make excuses before FA even begins.

I'm fine with hiring Trotz but we needed a fresh set of eyes as GM. I really wanted that guy(name escapes me)who was the assistant GM in Boston.

Well what you got was essentially GMGM hiring Dale Hunter, but Trotz isn't in a hurry to get back to his minor league team.  Viva La Capitals.

I for one will wait and see how the off season shakes out before I pass judgement. However, if the caps don't make serious moves on the defensive end... Ill be boycotting the season again.

I'm dependent on Capitals hockey. If we don't address the defense, I'll know deep down that we're in trouble, but I'll convince myself we can win it all.

Archived