Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

I get your point but they won one cup when they could have 3ir 4.again whatever he won a cup. I hope he can draft properly and help address team weaknesses.

I guess I like his aggressiveness, but will that get the team a cup. Well see. Would be nice to have active trading for once lol, I'll give you that

I think I've been too hard on Shero. He did bold a Contender and maybe he just needs a new start. We'll see.

Exactly.

Guys, it's hard to win championships these days.  It doesn't matter if you're talking about the NFL, the NBA, the NHL, or anything else.  It's always been hard.

For me, the way I think about it is like this:

1) Do I think this team can win the big one?

2) If the answer to #1 is no, what do I think about the general direction the team is going?

For the Caps: the answer to #1 right now, to me, is no.  For the Pens (personnel): the answer to #1 right now, to me, is yes.

For the Caps: the answer to #2 right now, to me, is trending downards (pending new coach/GM). 

So, for me, I think Shero has put together teams that can win the big one.  I don't think McPhee was doing the same.  It DOES make me a little nervous, looking at some of the aspects of Shero's teams the past couple of years.  They have been teams that just didn't have enough physical presence.  Ditto on this for Bylsma, it makes me nervous that he couldn't take some of these teams further.  That said, it is, again... hard.  And they made it repeatedly (much like Boudreau did with us).  In many ways, that has to be respected, and not ignored.  Sometimes people get hung up on the star power of certain teams, and just assume that some other coach can take them further.  The Penguins can look at DC and see how that has worked out.

When I look at some of the stuff Shero did... especially like, getting Iginla last year which I thought was a stroke of genius.  I thought the Pens were a total lock last year.  When Bylsma didn't lead the Pens through the Bruins last year, I was a little surprised.  I think they had some fool's gold in Fleury, he was great for them in the Cup year but just seems to make too many mental mistakes otherwise.

At the end of the day, winning is hard.  If we regret letting go of Boudreau, I think you have to look at the Shero/Bylsma combination and what they've accomplished... and say, ok, let's get them.

Looking at what's out there, I'd be interested if not happy with Shero + Bylsma.

Dude did you honestly just post that Pittsburgh hasn't been as good as DC recently? Or did I read that wrong?

I said what the other dude said. Pittsburgh chokes in playoffs now just like dc. Penguins choke year after year now. This is indisputable.

I am surprised Bylsma wasn't sacked though. Apparently it's only Shero.

So hypothetically if Ovie can't play this year...

We're good for what, 12, 13 wins? I mean you have to pay for him but don't get any of the production. And that would be just awesome for trying to recruit a coach into that situation.

@SlavaMalamud: Ovechkin is taken off the ice. Can't support his own weight. Looks like a knee and it looks terrible. #Caps

And here's the gif. Can't tell how bad it is... http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2014/05/18/alex-ovechkin-injured-at-world-championships-gif/

@SlavaMalamud: Alex Ovechkin has been taken off in an ambulance. Evaluation still pending, but according to inside info, "it's pretty bad". #Caps

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if Ovie suffered a serious knee injury that causes him to miss a year, he will NEVER be the same player he was. He doesn't strike me as the guy at this point in his career that will dedicate himself enough to his rehab to get back to full strength. That loud banging sound you just heard was the last remaining remnants of the Caps window slamming shut.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if Ovie suffered a serious knee injury that causes him to miss a year, he will NEVER be the same player he was. He doesn't strike me as the guy at this point in his career that will dedicate himself enough to his rehab to get back to full strength. That loud banging sound you just heard was the last remaining remnants of the Caps window slamming shut.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that he won't work really hard to get back. That's some pure hating ****.

At first I thought the injury was a hyperextension, but his leg wasn't straight he was hit. BTW, that hit should be a huge suspension.

I'm hoping that it's not ligaments and maybe just a knee cap issue or maybe a hip issue.

Stupid international tournaments. That's the risk you take. 

With him going down and Tavares getting hurt for the Isles during the Olympics, how much longer will NHL risk having their players play in these tourneys. 

With him going down and Tavares getting hurt for the Isles during the Olympics, how much longer will NHL risk having their players play in these tourneys. 

I don't think the NHL has a choice. They would risk losing a lot of players if they tried that.

Ask Kuzya how he feels about that.

We'd have a shot at gold if we went back to amateurs though.  National pride is huge for a lot of these guys.

Archived