Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History Is Against Us

Riggo#44

What was the division record in those last playoff trips?  The Skins pretty much went 6-0 in the division, and 5-1 is good enough to say they own it anyway.  Teams (giants) were actually vocal about how downright confused they were playing the Redskins.  So that's pretty unique.  

2000: Expectations were warranted. 1999 was a good, not great year where we took advantage of an easy schedule and a historically weak NFC (TWO 8-8 teams made the playoffs). In 1999 our defense hurt us, but ironically it was our offense that let us down in the playoffs loss at Tampa-- the game exposed Brad Johnson.

We spent all of our efforts in the off season on the defense, and contrary to popular opinion-- it worked. Our D was very good that year and again, contrary to popular opinion, Deion was one reason it improved so much. Wha screwed us in 2000 was Norv being Norv and Brad Johnson. He was awful. Killed us. Had Norv made the switch to Jeff George earlier we would have won the division. George was superior to BJ in almost all ways in 2000. That season was undone by our coach and QB... The popular opinion on this has always been wrong.

2006: Was reasonable to have expectations, but similarly to 1999, our offense at the end of 2005 started to show major weaknesses and was again exposed in the playoffs at Tampa and Seattle. If anyone had SB hopes prior to 2006 they were dreaming (I was probably one of them). That team had zero youth where it mattered and a broken down QB.

2008: This was one year where I think we pretty much all saw it coming. The run at the end of 2007 was fueled by emotion and Todd Collins capturing lightning in a bottle. The off season was a fiasco. I was very concerned going into 2008.... The hot start fooled me a bit, but we ultimately wound up being what we should have been--- a below average team with a down arrow. The carnage of 2009 was easy to see coming.

2013 is much, much different from 2006 and 2008. Not even on the same planet. The only real comparison I see to 2000 is that we were coming off division titles both years. The 2000 was significantly older with almost all key players on the downside of their career. We were clearly "going for it" in 2000 and had we gotten better QB play, we would have at least made the playoffs.

This year is different... Year four of a regime that has remade the roster and culture. Immense talent at RB and QB with all players with less than 3 years in. OL established and very strong... Players either currently in prime or approaching it. Moss is the only player on offense that is on the downside of his career and he isn't asked to do too much.

If your expectations are to win the SB this year is probably say you need to pump the brakes a tad, but if you expect another double digit win season and to be considered a contender in December--- I think that is totally reasonable and the team should e held to that standard.

Man, I was so pumped going into 2006. I thought we had a dominate defense, adding a "great" safety in Adam Archuletta. We had a dominant run game and added Brandon Lloyd and Randle El to join Moss and Cooley as receiver. Then Prioleau gets hurt on the opening kickoff (also early MNF game) and the season goes downhill from there... 

Portis disloacated shoulder in 1st preseason game - never right the rest of season and breaks hand in Philly

Shawn Springs abdominal surgery - missed first 5 games of season, never really healthy

Pierson Prioleau ACL - opening kickoff of season

From Wiki:

The 2007 Pro Football Prospectus[1] (later Football Outsiders) explained that the 2006 Redskins had "not a few injuries, but an astonishing cascade of injuries, affecting nearly every unit on the field. ... The injuries started in the the [sic?] preseason and never ended. "

The injuries that year were unreal. Add to that the signings/trades fro Lloyd, Archuleta, and Randle El and this season was OVER.

What was the division record in those last playoff trips? 

We were 5-1 in '05 (the one loss being a complete 36-0 ass whooping at Giants Stadium after Wellington Mara passed), and we were either 3-3 or 4-2 in '07. But yeah, last year was different. Neither the '05 team or the '07 team is going into Dallas and embarrassing them on national TV (before the defense let them back in it), or ripping the Giants heart out on MNF in a near make or break game.

Man, I was so pumped going into 2006. I thought we had a dominate defense, adding a "great" safety in Adam Archuletta. We had a dominant run game and added Brandon Lloyd and Randle El to join Moss and Cooley as receiver. Then Prioleau gets hurt on the opening kickoff (also early MNF game) and the season goes downhill from there... 

Adam Archuleta?  Great??  I've never seen those 2 words used in the same sentence.  The guy was half-ass mediocre at best.

Great teams make their own history. We crushed every historical barrier thrown our way last year, whether it be starting a rookie quarterback, beating divisional opponents, winning games on primetime, winning games against AFC opponents, winning games without key starters, etc etc. That is a sign of greatness.

First victory against Dallas EVER on Thanksgiving as well.  This is a new TEAM-forget the old history.  I realllly feel good about our team THIS year and the next decade will be beautiful.  Dammit I can't wait until Monday....this week is going to drag like no other,,,,HTTR 

I love a lot of the posts in this thread, so many great points being made and it's great to see the confidence the fans have in a group of coaches/players/staff who've earned it.

With that said, I think there's only one thing that makes this team different than anything in years past. Actually one word.

Continuity.

Its that simple. If we are to look back at every year in the past twenty where we fell well short if expectations after coming off a very good season (I don't count the 96-97 Norv teams here for obvious reasons, lol), the one thing that pops out at you is the amount of change those teams went through after having success.

For the first time in twenty years, that hasn't happened.

Simply put, there is no history here to repeat itself. We're in uncharted territory as an organization in comparison to the last twenty years.

This year is different... Year four of a regime that has remade the roster and culture. Immense talent at RB and QB with all players with less than 3 years in. OL established and very strong... Players either currently in prime or approaching it. Moss is the only player on offense that is on the downside of his career and he isn't asked to do too much.

If your expectations are to win the SB this year is probably say you need to pump the brakes a tad, but if you expect another double digit win season and to be considered a contender in December--- I think that is totally reasonable and the team should e held to that standard.

I agree Kleese.  In fact, I've been trumpeting recently that Washington's Championship Window has opened.  This time last year I figured we'd go 8-8ish, contend for the Division this year, and then do big things.  Well, since then favorable circumstances have shifted that thinking entirely.  The way The Skins jumped on people last year proved (to me, at least) that this team is ready to compete & contend now.  And you're right -- those are the expectations their 2013 performance should be judged by.

(And no, I'm not talikin' Super Bowl.....yet.)

Teams (giants) were actually vocal about how downright confused they were playing the Redskins.  So that's pretty unique.

a little off-topic, but the jared allen audio during the vikings game was classic. he had no idea what was going on with our offense. thats coming from one of the best pass rushers in the game.

I love that we stopped deferring the kickoff. We WANT the ball first and want to jam it down your throat. Shows the team wants it and wants to win. I hated when we would defer. We are jumping on teams first and making them play catchup.

I just like receiving to open the 2nd half but your attitude is inspiring!

We have more "team first" vice "me first" players on the roster since the Gibbs 1 years.

Let history prevail!

Only because we have more players on the roster overall.   B)

History says don't ever give up on this team.  1981. an 0-5 team jumped on the Bears and turned a season that was looking like a disaster into the begining of something special.  2001, we were 0-5 and fixing to fall to 0-6 in a 21-0 debacle.  2005, being 5-6 many Redskin fans were dour and ready ti give up on another year.  2007, despite great reason to give up, the team fought back to the playoffs.  Last year, at 3-6 it looked like we were done.

That 2000 team still irritates me.

The 1999 team was awesome. Brad Johnson was an excellent QB, with the skill and leadership that led what WOULD have been the most prolific offense in NFL history...except the Rams were even better the same year.

The defense wasn't all that great, but really only needed a couple of pieces.

When you have a team that is just on the edge of being elite, you don't make giant changes....but Snyder did. He decided that the way to a super bowl was to flush-out all of the hungry guys that had been fighting their way up the ladder together since 1997, with a bunch of big names. The chemistry was lost, and chemistry counts for far more than individual talent on a football field.

This year, all of the guys that fought to win-out and make the playoffs last year, are still on the team....except M. Williams, who was an addition by subtraction. The chemistry is there, the talent is developing, it all looks very promising.

All that team needed was a good kicker. They had FIVE kickers that year who only made 66.7% of the kicks plus 2 missed PATs. Kicking played a role in at least 3 losses.

As far as history goes, RG3 trumps all history. We saw last year every horrible streak, curse, or miserable historical note fall before RG3. This year will be the same.

Just my 2cents, but another reason to be optimistic that the trend won't continue is this is the first time, in a LONG time, where we have a playoff team and we aren't screwing around with team chemistry in the offseason.  The same philosophy and same core team that took us there is returning.

The previous 3 playoff teams were significantly altered in the offseason:

1999, the massive free agent spending spree took place in the offseason and team chemistry was radically altered with the likes of Deion, Bruce Smith, Jeff George, etc.

2005, Al Saunders was brought in to revamp the offense. Not a massive roster overhaul, but a new coordinator and a new way of doing business does change/alter team chemistry.

2007, Gibbs resigned in the offseason and the Zorn era began.. 'nuff said.

What did Keim mean by this:

"They also own one playoff win since 1999, but none in their past three trips."

If I'm reading this sentence correctly, there's all sorts of wrong contain in those words lol...

I think he was referring to 2005, 2007 and last year.  Notice that all three of our losses were against Seattle. 

Archived