Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History Is Against Us

Riggo#44

Some of you are so doom and gloom, things change and history doesn't always repeat itself. Just because we were terrible for almost 20 years doesn't mean we're going to be terrible forever. The 49ers were terrible for a while and now they aren't, enjoy the ride ladies and gentleman. 

Funny thing is; history was "against us" so many times last year and we almost always broke the trends.  Not worried about it.  With RGIII, the sky is the limit.

RG3 was the QB that led Baylor to a bowl game for the first time in almost 20 years, the first winning bowl appearance in 20 years and the first back-to-back bowl appearances in 20 years.  It has been since 2004 since a team in the NFC-East has been good enough that winning the division was a possibility for all the teams in the division and the conerstone of that was having a QB that was significantly better than what anybody else had.

From John Keim's ESPN Redskins Preview:

We've been here before, not often, but we have: 1999, 2005, 2007. We all know the 2000 Redskins, but we were expected to be in the Super Bowl in 2006 as well. We won a total of 14 games in those seasons. Add to that the topsy turvy history of this division--not even the "Great" Giants teams have won back-to-back division championships.

Plus the Curse of DC is very real--every time there are expectations on a DC team they fall well short of the mark. And it's ALL teams: the Caps, Nats and Skins have all failed in recent years with high expectations (I did not include the Wizards b/c well, no one expects anything of them).

I want to know--what's different? What makes this year, this team, different?

Well, a few things, actually.

1. Much better coaching staff; at first I was a little uneasy about the Shannys coming here, but he's proven to me that he has high expectations out of his players, and he does have the respect of every one of them; they may not personally like him, but there's a long list of people who don't like their bosses.

2. Credability; he has rings, so he had to have done something right.

3. Snyder stopped just buying players who want to get paid, and put it on Shanny and Allen to build the team; they've weeded out most all of the money players and got players who do want to win and have pride in their work. We all hatefully remember Fat Albert lying on the ground like a seal on a beach, the failed regime of Zorn, the so-called breakout receivers who us fans kept putting on a pedestal, only to see them disappear in sub-mediocrity.

The only thing that will stop the Redskins is, the Redskins. If they go into this season wanting to prove last year wasn't a fluke, things will be fine. If they go in expecting opponents to lay down for them, then it will be a long season. But judging what Mike has done thus far, I doubt this team will be slacking anytime.

SIC

IMO, Green Bay is not a difficult place to play if you get them in Sept/early Oct before weather becomes a factor.

Also, I think a big factor in the Packers game will be to see how well or not well they handle the 49ers offense in Week 1.

The 'Skins offense is better and more dynamic then the 49ers' offense so if they drop 30+ on Green Bay then I think our offense can too and it will be more if the defense can hopefully not give up too many points.

I have this game as a loss on the schedule but it's one the possible flip-flop games.

What did Keim mean by this:

"They also own one playoff win since 1999, but none in their past three trips."

If I'm reading this sentence correctly, there's all sorts of wrong contain in those words lol...

If he is including the 1999 season, then we have 2 playoff wins (1999 wild card round vs. Detroit and 2005 wild card round at Tampa) and we've won within our last three trips. If he is excluding 1999 for some reason, then he's only wrong about the "last three trips" thing since 2005 was sadly within the past three trips to the playoffs.

This is a far better team than previous Redskins teams in the past…

You can see the chemistry on the sidelines…

We do not have a question mark at QB anymore and our backup is solid…

And just like everyone has been saying on this thread, we have lots of depth…

We just need to improve on our bend but don’t break secondary…

We cannot give up the big plays like we did with the Cruz and Bryant last year…

I don't think this is like the other years where we had bad years following playoff years.  I think we are going to see something similar to what the Eagles of 2001-2006 did.  I think we will be the dominate NFC East team for the next several years.  We do have some questions this year, but assuming RG3 is fully ready, we are the best team in the NFC East.  Dallas has some good players, but they have horrible depth.  The same thing with the Giants.  Their depth is very questionable.  The Eagles are in the process of implementing new systems.  It's quite clear to me we are the class of the NFC East.

I think we can beat Green Bay only if our pass rush can terrorize their pass protection. I'm confident in how the offense will look only if we keep the turnover numbers low like we did last year, now if our Defense can be explosive consistently this year then I think our team will be dangerous. 

Of course, the Eagles game is a question mark for the Eagles as well.

Remember, THEY have to execute their plays in order for them to work. Its a chain of sorts; one miss and the fast paced offense comes to a grinding halt, and with Vick's inaccuracies an uneven performance, I don't see them being more than a hype of what could-be on a team WITH a proven QB.  

If anything else, do as I do; re-write history...

SIC

Bro the "no consecutive playoff appearances" isn't a curse. It's because we had garbage management and were lucky to be in the playoffs at all.
A curse would be Atlanta or New England not being able to go to back-to-back playoffs. For us, it's the way it was supposed to be, given our team.

As we summed up in my previous thread... we've flat out sucked since 1992-ish.  Save for a spot here and there.  We've actually built for the future and we are about to reap the benefit of that.  Which we haven't done in 30 years (the building part).

Rather than taking the quick path to mediocrity, we've actually nutted out a few seasons of suck and we've hit on a lot of our draft picks and FA pickups.  We're different.  It's not just Griffin.  It's the whole team.

We are just not used to it, lol.

Agree with the song sheet or not, it's Mike's song sheet and the coaches and players are shouting it out.  

Can tell the difference by reading the predictions thread.  Most of the, few in number, negative ones say we will win but they think it will be an actual contest.  My impression is most people are fully expecting our O to be able to run and pass at will and our D to stop their O quite easily.  Sure there's the reasonable expectation that Vick (might) and Shady (probably will) make a play or two, but it will only be fluff.

If there's any fan of a team we play who looks at the schedule and thinks we should worry more about that match up than they do, they're wrong.  There's not a team in the league we can't/won't beat if we execute.  We have the system, we have the talent and a good chunk of that talent knows the system.  We haven't seen that since we last won SBs.

31 out of 32 teams don't win the Superbowl every year. I'm just excited that we are back in the mix. I've never been a Superbowl or bust guy, and I won't be this year...or any year. I don't mind that our team has that attitude, they should think that way.

Winning it all takes a special group of young men, a special group of coaches, and a special set of circumstances. It's really a perfect storm of great play and good fortune.

With that being said, some guys just seemed destined for certain things. I would be rather surprised if #10 and his newly constructed band of warriors didn't bring a championship to DC at some point. There's just something about that guy.

look around at all the dynasties of late.. all of the perennial playoff teams. what do they have in common?

a good to great qb, weapons on offense, consistent coaching, depth.

we have all of those things. we have already become a top notch team like the ravens, patriots, giants, steelers, 49ers, etc.

we could miss the playoffs, i think it's more than likely we dont. the future is bright.

Great teams make their own history. We crushed every historical barrier thrown our way last year, whether it be starting a rookie quarterback, beating divisional opponents, winning games on primetime, winning games against AFC opponents, winning games without key starters, etc etc. That is a sign of greatness.

Archived