Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History Is Against Us

Riggo#44

From John Keim's ESPN Redskins Preview:

History is against them: Washington hasn't made the postseason in consecutive seasons since 1991-92. Since then, the Redskins have not posted strong follow-ups to playoff runs. They also own one playoff win since 1999, but none in their past three trips. They've won eight, five and eight games after their most recent three playoff seasons -- and once lost a coach when Joe Gibbs resigned. There's a reason Redskins fans are always nervous: the good times haven't lasted long. Also, the NFC East hasn't had a repeat champion since the Eagles won four straight 2001-04. It's a tough division to duplicate success. However, the Redskins are, by far, in their best position to build on a playoff season in the Dan Snyder era. That's the power of Griffin.

We've been here before, not often, but we have: 1999, 2005, 2007. We all know the 2000 Redskins, but we were expected to be in the Super Bowl in 2006 as well. We won a total of 14 games in those seasons. Add to that the topsy turvy history of this division--not even the "Great" Giants teams have won back-to-back division championships.

Plus the Curse of DC is very real--every time there are expectations on a DC team they fall well short of the mark. And it's ALL teams: the Caps, Nats and Skins have all failed in recent years with high expectations (I did not include the Wizards b/c well, no one expects anything of them).

I want to know--what's different? What makes this year, this team, different?

I think what makes this team different is that in 2005 and 2007, we had older teams. They weren't going to have sustained success. This is a much younger, hungrier team. They got a taste of the postseason last year and I think they want more.

Also, Kiem seems to be off. He said we haven't won a playoff game our last 3 trips. Which isn't right. Our last 3 playoff apperances are 2005, 2007, 2012. We beat the Bucs in 2005 in the Wild Card round.

From John Keim's ESPN Redskins Preview:

We've been here before, not often, but we have: 1999, 2005, 2007. We all know the 2000 Redskins, but we were expected to be in the Super Bowl in 2006 as well. We won a total of 14 games in those seasons. Add to that the topsy turvy history of this division--not even the "Great" Giants teams have won back-to-back division championships.

Plus the Curse of DC is very real--every time there are expectations on a DC team they fall well short of the mark. And it's ALL teams: the Caps, Nats and Skins have all failed in recent years with high expectations (I did not include the Wizards b/c well, no one expects anything of them).

I want to know--what's different? What makes this year, this team, different?

Uhhhhh, we were supposed to be in the super bowl in 2006? That's news to me, we had Mark Brunell at qb afterall.

See, that kind of statistic is fun, but it's hard to make a fact based argument that ancient history has much bearing on the present. But 2007 wasn't that long ago, right? By my count we have a total of 4 players and 0 coaches left over from that team.

What makes this team different? Better depth, and a stud qb. Great qb's give their teams stability in wins and losses. You allude to the giants not repeating, and that is because they don't have a great qb, so even when they had great o and d lines they couldn't maintain consistent success. If eli was his brother, I guarantee you the giants would have ran this division for most of the past decade. If Griffin improves upon his rookie season I think we can realistically look at making the playoffs repeatedly for quite some time, barring our rivals drafting a stud qb of their own.

What's different, you ask?

1) Those were Wildcard teams - this is a Division Champion.  Call me crazy, but that distinction matters.  This team earned it's post-season berth by TAKING the Division, so now they know how to contend in the Division, based on experience.  Those prior teams did not.

2)We have a sound football program.  We have a quality GM that goes out & gets players that fit our system, A proven Winner at Head Coach, continuity in our Offensive & Defensive systems (with schemes our players have played in for several years in a row), and a sounder Draft Philosophy.  That stuff matters.  Its the difference between sound football programs and the squads that produce the random 'good year'.

3)We have A Franchise Quarterback.

4)We have a young nucleus of core players that have grown together.  Look at every serious contender & you'll find the same thing - whether they are older or younger.  Winning teams have core personnel that pose problems for their opponents.  We have that, & our core is destined to get better.

5)We have more depth with players that fit our system.  We don't Win the NFC East without depth.  For example; Orakpo, our best defensive player was lost for the year in Week 2(!), and Rob Jackson came in & made plays.  Would that have happened with those earlier teams?

6)We have favorable matchups vs our Division Rivals.  Remember the belly aching coming out've other NFC East cities along the lines of 'Maaaan, we gotta play this guy twice a year now?'  Did that happen with those earlier teams?

The choice is yours, but I firmly believe in these Redskins.  The window has opened.  

Im high on our chances this year but also very aware of a couple of things more pressing then just our recent playoff appearance next season results

1. QBs year two per the norm have slumps. Last year it took Cam until the 2nd half of the season to get it going.

2. Only starting QBs who didnt take a single preseason snap recently were Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. TB only lasted a half of a game for his season

3. Our schedule is tougher coming off a division title then coming into the season 5 and 11

But even with that said this team is loaded with talent outside of RG3. The Skins have the leagues 2nd highest rusher and has a nice complement of WRs and TEs. I say let the heads talk and lets show it on the field starting a week from today. Every writer like this is just fishing for a reaction and just because history might say otherwise all we have is NOW, our time is now. Hail!

Funny thing is; history was "against us" so many times last year and we almost always broke the trends.  Not worried about it.  With RGIII, the sky is the limit.

YES! Remember how last year we would all marvel at how many streaks, precedents, et al. RGIII would blow away in his rookie year?  The circumstances on the ground have totally changed.  Advantage Washington.

Ahem... Keim was sampling off my thread from over two months ago *cough cough*

http://es.redskins.com/topic/368244-trends-streaks-and-history-that-we-must-overcome-in-2013-to-be-successful/

Last season Robert Griffin, III and the Redskins were the proverbial streak busters.  Below are some things that this group will have to overcome again this season if they'd like to be successful.

If you have anything to add, please do!

-Back to Back Division Champions?: No team has won the NFC East back to back since the Eagles won 4 straight from 2001-2004 (The Redskins haven't won 2 or more consecutive division championships since we won three consecutive from 1982-1984).  Almost 30 years.

-Back to Back Playoff Appearances?: The Redskins have not made the playoffs in back to back years since we went three consecutive years in 1990, 1991, and 1992.  Over 20 years.

-Back to Back Winning Seasons?:  This may surprise some of you, but Norv Turner actually had back to back winning seasons in 1996 (9-7) and 1997 (8-7-1) which was over 15 years ago, now.  But more traditionally, the Redskins haven't had consecutive 9 win (+) seasons since we won 10 (1990) and 14 (1991).  That is crazy... and also over 20 years ago.

-1st Place Schedule Woes?:  Well, let's just go back to the Gibbs I era and have a look at our results playing a first place schedule (following a Division Championship Season):

1983: 14-2 (lost in Super Bowl)

1984: 11-5 (lost in Div Round)

1985: 10-6 (missed the playoffs)

1988: 7-9 (missed the playoffs)

1992: 9-7 (lost in Div Round)

2000: 8-8 (ah, those Fortune .500 Redskins)

2013: ???

(over 20 years since we've made the playoffs on a 1st place schedule)

-Win a playoff spot/Division without having to real off a winning streak?: Well, in 1999 we won the division at 10-6, and were 8-6 after a week 15 lost to the Colts.  Dallas finished 2nd in the division at 8-8... so I guess that would be the last time that we didn't have to real off a long winning streak.

I know this is more indicative of where we have been as a franchise the last 20 years... but some interesting nuggets nonetheless

That's an interesting perspective and I, for one, love looking at things through the eyes of history. But I think it's about as irrelevant as thinking that we'll win 10 games just because we did it the last time we went 4-0 in the preseason (1985).

This team is on the upswing and should be a serious contender to win divisions and compete for the NFC for the next several years. They will have down years, but hopefully our down years become 8-win seasons where things don't go our way instead of 5- or 6-win campaigns.

Unless we hit some bad fortune, I see us in most games, winning more than we lose, and playing for the playoffs up until the last week of the season. If we get some good fortune this is a team that could be playing the good type of meaningless games in week 17 and watching the wild card round from home while they prepare to host someone in the divisional round.

We have talent. We have continuity. We have winners on this team. It's our time (thank you, Goonies).

The easiest way to repeat history is to live in the past.

Frankly, I find it hard to identify myself with Redskins fans any longer. They`ve been disappointed so long... that they don`t know to find enjoyment is anything any longer. They`ve built in defense systems into their mindset to protect themselves for feeling the pain of disappointment... at the expense of enjoyment. They won`t celebrate the victories... because disappointment is *just around the corner*.

The scary part is... if you`ve utilized this strategy as a coping mechanism for being a football fan... it`s likely because you`ve used it with some relative success in other parts of your life too. I`m sure that makes you just a peach to be around for your circles of people.

The Redskins are the reigning NFC East champs.... until January. Life is good. Enjoy the ride.

Frankly, I find it hard to identify myself with Redskins fans any longer. They`ve been disappointed so long... that they don`t know to find enjoyment is anything any longer. They`ve built in defense systems into their mindset to protect themselves for feeling the pain of disappointment... at the expense of enjoyment. They won`t celebrate the victories... because disappointment is *just around the corner*.

The scary part is... if you`ve utilized this strategy as a coping mechanism for being a football fan... it`s likely because you`ve used it with some relative success in other parts of your life too. I`m sure that makes you just a peach to be around for your circles of people.

The Redskins are the reigning NFC East champs.... until January. Life is good. Enjoy the ride.

Thank you for this DH, where's the fun in being a fan anymore? Where's the anticipation, expectation of your team showing you something new, something choice, something unexpected?

When I get to the point where I can't get up for the season, can't look forward with eager promise to a season not yet born, I'll stop watching the game.

Man, I was so pumped going into 2006. I thought we had a dominate defense, adding a "great" safety in Adam Archuletta. We had a dominant run game and added Brandon Lloyd and Randle El to join Moss and Cooley as receiver. Then Prioleau gets hurt on the opening kickoff (also early MNF game) and the season goes downhill from there... 

Nice post.

But, by God, get back inside before that other shoe drops!

What's different, you ask?

1) Those were Wildcard teams - this is a Division Champion.  Call me crazy, but that distinction matters.  This team earned it's post-season berth by TAKING the Division, so now they know how to contend in the Division, based on experience.  Those prior teams did not.

2)We have a sound football program.  We have a quality GM that goes out & gets players that fit our system, A proven Winner at Head Coach, continuity in our Offensive & Defensive systems (with schemes our players have played in for several years in a row), and a sounder Draft Philosophy.  That stuff matters.  Its the difference between sound football programs and the squads that produce the random 'good year'.

3)We have A Franchise Quarterback.

4)We have a young nucleus of core players that have grown together.  Look at every serious contender & you'll find the same thing - whether they are older or younger.  Winning teams have core personnel that pose problems for their opponents.  We have that, & our core is destined to get better.

5)We have more depth with players that fit our system.  We don't Win the NFC East without depth.  For example; Orakpo, our best defensive player was lost for the year in Week 2(!), and Rob Jackson came in & made plays.  Would that have happened with those earlier teams?

6)We have favorable matchups vs our Division Rivals.  Remember the belly aching coming out've other NFC East cities along the lines of 'Maaaan, we gotta play this guy twice a year now?'  Did that happen with those earlier teams?

The choice is yours, but I firmly believe in these Redskins.  The window has opened.  

Agreed with everything especially with #3 which should probably #1.  Even though he's coming off of major surgery, RG3 still makes this team a legit playoff contender.   The fact that this team isn't run by Snyderatto is HUGE.  The '06 team could have been something had they not gone all in by going after Randle-El and Archuleta.

That 2000 team still irritates me.

The 1999 team was awesome. Brad Johnson was an excellent QB, with the skill and leadership that led what WOULD have been the most prolific offense in NFL history...except the Rams were even better the same year.

The defense wasn't all that great, but really only needed a couple of pieces.

When you have a team that is just on the edge of being elite, you don't make giant changes....but Snyder did. He decided that the way to a super bowl was to flush-out all of the hungry guys that had been fighting their way up the ladder together since 1997, with a bunch of big names. The chemistry was lost, and chemistry counts for far more than individual talent on a football field.

This year, all of the guys that fought to win-out and make the playoffs last year, are still on the team....except M. Williams, who was an addition by subtraction. The chemistry is there, the talent is developing, it all looks very promising.

I think what makes this team different is that in 2005 and 2007, we had older teams. They weren't going to have sustained success. This is a much younger, hungrier team. They got a taste of the postseason last year and I think they want more.

Also, Kiem seems to be off. He said we haven't won a playoff game our last 3 trips. Which isn't right. Our last 3 playoff apperances are 2005, 2007, 2012. We beat the Bucs in 2005 in the Wild Card round.

Good point about us being young. Of course, the same could be said for the Capitals or Nationals. DC is cursed...big time.

That 2000 team still irritates me.

The 1999 team was awesome. Brad Johnson was an excellent QB, with the skill and leadership that led what WOULD have been the most prolific offense in NFL history...except the Rams were even better the same year.

The defense wasn't all that great, but really only needed a couple of pieces.

When you have a team that is just on the edge of being elite, you don't make giant changes....but Snyder did. He decided that the way to a super bowl was to flush-out all of the hungry guys that had been fighting their way up the ladder together since 1997, with a bunch of big names. The chemistry was lost, and chemistry counts for far more than individual talent on a football field.

This year, all of the guys that fought to win-out and make the playoffs last year, are still on the team....except M. Williams, who was an addition by subtraction. The chemistry is there, the talent is developing, it all looks very promising.

Thing is...the changes that Snyder made either worked or didn't harm that side of the ball. We went from a bottom-5 to a top-10 defense. I can't know for sure, but I would assume that adding Smith, Sanders, and Carrier helped with that.

The 2000 team was a division-championship team that was derailed by offensive injuries and a horrible kicking situation. The offense didn't hold up its end of the bargain (we lost Westbrook early on) so we were forced to win close, defensive games. If we had a reliable kicker, we probably win 10 or 11 games and repeat as NFC East champs.

Archived