Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there a spot for Chris Thompson on the roster

Hitman21ST

Mike Shanahan is known for finding running backs out of nowhere and turning them into stars. But, every year it seems that he uses two running backs primarily. Last year it was Morris and Helu then Morris and Royster when Helu was injured. Two years ago it was Helu and Royster. Three years ago it was Portis and Torain.

So, going into this year we have Morris established, with chaos behind him. Helu, Royster, Chris Thompson, and Jawan Jamison all battling for no more than two spots. Helu was envisioned as the "change of pace" back, or the guy who could come in on third down and run routes and catch passes, the guy with the explosion to take anything to the house. With Chris Thompson, we have a very similar back, only moreso. All the reports coming out of camp are saying that he has a gear that no one else does.

So, my question is, does a healthy Helu keep Chris Thompson on the practice squad? Is there room for two change of pace guys on the 53? Does Thompson being here mean Helu won't?

Morris is going to be getting the bulk of the carries. This much we know. What we don't know, though, is just how will the other RB touches get divvied up. There's only one ball, so will having to split carries between each other cause problems for Helu or Thompson?

My guess is we're going to have Morris, Helu, and Thompson as the 3 active RBs.  Jamison will go to the PS.  Depending on how the preseason goes, I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see Thompson end up as #2 on the depth chart.  If it wasn't for his injuries, he would have been drafted much higher.  The kid has a ridiculous skill-set.  He's a playmaker. 

Seems like what could be called "chaos" would probably be termed "competition" by our HC. Of course there's a spot for Thompson if he outperforms two of the other three backs aside from Morris. Jamison's a rookie as well, we haven't seen Helu play a game since the days of John Beck, and Royster is, well, Royster.

Doesn't seem like bad odds to me. He probably makes it given he stays healthy and plays well.

Plus, I hate to say it, but who knows what the injury picture looks like at the end of camp. He could possibly make the roster by default.

I don't think there is any way in hell Thompson misses the 53 unless Jawan Jamison balls out of his skull in preseason, and at that point you're faced with the possibility of maybe cutting Helu, crazy as that may sound. Thompson's skillset is to valuable for him to not make the final roster.

I don't see any way Royster makes this team, unless some guys get hurt. Even though Thompson was drafted in the 5th, he is a late 1st-early 2nd round talent when healthy, and I don't think he was drafted with the team thinking he might "Maybe" make the roster.

My prediction is 1.) Morris, 2.) Helu, 3.) Thompson, and Jamison gets put on the practice squad .

Royster shouldn't even be in the conversation, imo. Royster needs to be an every down guy for him to be effective, and even at his best he's no where close to Alfred. But I envision us keeping 3 RBs also, with Alfred as the top guy, Helu spelling him when needed, and Thompson as the change of pace guy. 

If it did come down to only keeping 2 RBs, I think Thompson gets the nod with his return abilities on STs. I believe he returned some kickoffs in college.

Rumor I heard was Bobby Turner loves this guy and was the main reason Shanahan drafted him.  My hope is that a needy team talks to Skins about acquiring Helu or Royster.  It's a long ways away but I think Morris, Thompson and Jamison make up the 53 man roster as Helu is injury prone.  Just my guess. 

Rumor I heard was Bobby Turner loves this guy and was the main reason Shanahan drafted him.  My hope is that a needy team talks to Skins about acquiring Helu or Royster.  It's a long ways away but I think Morris, Thompson and Jamison make up the 53 man roster as Helu is injury prone.  Just my guess. 

Spot on RW ... just saw the FSU-NCS game on ESPNU "top 25 of 2012" and happily watched CT scamper for over 100 yds in the first half "out of the pistol"  no less.

A perfect fit for Skins and RG3.  Explosion, great moves, tough as nails, and can catch the ball.  Also did not show any fear blocking for Manual although at times he was overwelmed somewhat..

I agree the backfield should be from amomg ALMO, Helu, CT and Jamison.

Royster is on the bubble no doubt but Skins could find a way to keep all 5 backs by creative use of PUP, IR and PS manipulation.

I would not be surprised if CTwere PUPed because of ACL injury and need to rehab more.

Shanny has learned to be conservative in this Department.

Spot on RW ... just saw the FSU-NCS game on ESPNU "top 25 of 2012" and happily watched CT scamper for over 100 yds in the first half "out of the pistol"  no less.

A perfect fit for Skins and RG3.  Explosion, great moves, tough as nails, and can catch the ball.  Also did not show any fear blocking for Manual although at times he was overwelmed somewhat..

Royster is on the bubble no doubt but Skins could find a way to keep all 5 backs by creative use of PUP, IR and PS manipulation.

I would not be surprised if CTwere PUPed because of ACL injury and need to rehab more.

Could happen, Peck.  I think that Jamison will surprise in the preseason.  Have you checked out youtube video on him.  To me he reminds me alittle of a poor man's Ray Rice.

personally I was never that inpressed with Royster.  Helu showed signs of playmaking ability, but then was injured.  Everything I have heard from Fla State supporters is that CT is a heck of a playmaker, and has speed to burn.  Cannot see Shanny getting rid of him (or Jamison).  Think Williams, Royster, and others...are gone.  We keep Morris, Helu jr., CT and Jamison.....   Hopefully we can make a trade and at least get something in return other than a handshake as they walk out the door.....

Could happen, Peck.  I think that Jamison will surprise in the preseason.  Have you checked out youtube video on him.  To me he reminds me alittle of a poor man's Ray Rice.

Totally on board with JJ and the Ray Rice analogue!

I was pleasantly surprised these guys were avaiable in the "Shanahan Zone" of the Draft..

The thing I like about Chris Thompson is the way he puts on an extra burst of speed after making one cut and hitting the hole.  Also, I foresee many more screen calls with him coming out of the backfield... he reminds me of LeSean McCoy with this quick, agile moves after making the catch.

I know how they can do it. Cut Helu and Royster. Then, if someone gets hurt, or really stinks it up, give Helu and/or Royster a call.

I don't think there is any way in hell Thompson misses the 53 unless Jawan Jamison balls out of his skull in preseason, and at that point you're faced with the possibility of maybe cutting Helu, crazy as that may sound. Thompson's skillset is to valuable for him to not make the final roster.

I don't see any way Royster makes this team, unless some guys get hurt. Even though Thompson was drafted in the 5th, he is a late 1st-early 2nd round talent when healthy, and I don't think he was drafted with the team thinking he might "Maybe" make the roster.

My prediction is 1.) Morris, 2.) Helu, 3.) Thompson, and Jamison gets put on the practice squad .

I agree with ya Sin. I think it's possible that if Helu isn't 100% back that Thompson could be the #2 guy. I think Royster is gone and Jamison will go to the PS.

Archived