Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LINDY'S 2013 PRO FOOTBALL PREVIEW - DALLAS OVER SKINS

MWAI

Yes I spent my $8 today on my annual obligatory football magazine and I chose LINDY'S SPORTS PRO FOOTBALL 2013 PREVIEW. Well, not to my surprise, guess what? They love DALLAS to finish in FIRST PLACE in the NFC EAST. Redskins follow in 2nd place, then Philadelphia, and it's hard to believe but they have the N.Y GIANTS in LAST PLACE.

So the Dallas worship continues....meanwhile apparently so does the Michael Vick worship because they are projecting the Vick led team to surpass the Eli Manning led team. Will the madness never stop.

For those of you who only buy one magazine, I always choose this one NOT because they ever pick the Redskins, but because they give a good review of the draft picks of each team, also because they give an excellent preview of this years college studs at each position for next years draft, and they also list all available free agents currently not with a team, plus all of last years player stats. Good stuff.

I pay $8 and I consider it to be a valuable resource...and I assure you it has nothing to do with the color photos of all those scantily clad cheerleaders in the middle section of this magazine. Anyway, that is my review of the girls....uh..I mean the magazine.

I enjoy when I get a chance to read the Lindy previews.   NIce to see they've moved us out of the traditional 4 place finish in the NFC-East.

Frankly, the 2013 NFC-East will be hard to predict.  Philly has accumulated decent talent and we don't know what kind of results their new coach will bring.  The Giants have decent talent too, with proven champions at QB and HC  (and the Mara factor too.)    

Why pick Dallas?  First of all I think Lindy considers that  Monte Kiffin, and Rod Marinelli represent big upgrades over Rob Ryan's bunch, and that the Dallas D will probably improve enough to make the difference. Sure Dallas could have drafted better in 2013 , but they still have a big corps of talent from earlier drafts. 

Most tell is that during the off-season, Dallas went for a "The Future is Now" approach and will have serious cap issues in 2014.  But in 2013, they'll have a decent amount of talent, and a cagey veteran, playoff caliber QB in Romo sits to pee, to run the offense.  I suspect LIndy must have felt the Cowboys defense will improve enough to give Romo sits to pee enough chances to rack up the needed wins to steal the NFC-East.

They're counting on Monte Kiffin --- the guy who couldn't stop the WCO at Stanford or the read-option, high tempo attack at Oregon --- to come back to the NFL and transform that defense against a WCO team that runs the read option.

With no safeties, to corners who were drafted/signed to play man coverage that they're going to now force to play cover 2, defensive ends that'd be better as stand up OLB's, in a scheme that's EASIER to run the read-option on than a 3-4, with an undersized d-line.

...Ya know, somehow I think we'll be fine.

Its just the same crap. Drink more kool-aide. Oh look, dallass has more toys. And some new coaches. How is it that a team gets a new defensive scheme and improve in the off season. At this point you just have to laugh. Outside of questions about RGIII's knee and our depleted safeties we look set. Our running game and our QB is clearly as capable as any other in the division. I've come to the conclusion that we would have to win 3 straight rings before ww could get labeled as division favorites.

you picked the magazine that was actually the nicest to the Redskins.  The others that I have, have us last or 3rd.  mostly, last.  We were the best team in the division last league but that has earned us to be the hot pick for last place in nfl magazine world.  IMO a more apt topic would be -- NFL magazines think the division this year will be between the Giants and Cowboys with the Redskins and Eagles fighting for the cellar.

USA Today's magazine: 

1.  Cowboys

2.  Giants

3.  Eagles

4.  Redskins

Profootball Weekly

1.  Giants

2.  Cowboys

3.  Redskins

4.  Eagles

Sporting News

1. Giants

2.  Cowboys

3.  Eagles

4.  Redskins

Athlon sports

1.  Giants

2. Cowboys

3.  Eagles

4.  Redskins

Its just the same crap. Drink more kool-aide. Oh look, dallass has more toys. And some new coaches. How is it that a team gets a new defensive scheme and improve in the off season. At this point you just have to laugh. Outside of questions about RGIII's knee and our depleted safeties we look set. Our running game and our QB is clearly as capable as any other in the division. I've come to the conclusion that we would have to win 3 straight rings before ww could get labeled as division favorites.

I don't know, as a fan, I wonder what is worse.  All the major football "experts" telling me that my mediocre team is good and so I expect 12-4 and get 8-8 (and was lucky to do that well) or everybody telling me my team sucks so I expect 7-9 but get 10-6 (pretty much because my team was unlucky),

you picked the magazine that was actually the nicest to the Redskins.  The others that I have, have us last or 3rd.  mostly, last.  We were the best team in the division last league but that has earned us to be the hot pick for last place in nfl magazine world.  IMO a more apt topic would be -- NFL magazines think the division this year will be between the Giants and Cowboys with the Redskins and Eagles fighting for the cellar. 

That's fine. You know this stuff just pushes Griffin, Fletcher et al harder. Let the preseason pundits cast their stones. I prefer to make fun of them at the end of the season...

The fact that the Redskins have been at the bottom for it seems forever, at times the laughing stock of the league, then all of a sudden bouncing back last season to take the NFC east crown.

They're probably still in shock that this happened; but then again, Dallas always gets praised and put on a pedestal, only to have one of the other 3 in the division knock them off. I've heard of this sadistic event, in ways its a sexual pleasure for them to get their rocks, but in reality it only proves their ability to reason is very limited.

It may take a few NFC east crowns before the mediots start to say 'hmmm, the Redskins have won the division for the last 4 years, maybe they will do it again";  until then, just sit back, relax, and watch another wrinkle appear in Jerruh's face when he's once again humiliated and humbled by a superior Redskins team, and now, owner...

That's fine. You know this stuff just pushes Griffin, Fletcher et al harder. Let the preseason pundits cast their stones. I prefer to make fun of them at the end of the season...

Yeah, people seem to have forgotten what light does...

I can understand picking Dallas to win the division. From an unbiased view, they have been in contention the last couple a years right down to the very end. Do I think they'll win it this year? No probably not.

The biggest shocker to me is to see the other magazines that have us picked to finish 4th. For a division winner to be picked to finish last the following year, with no major losses, is a shock to me. They must really have no faith in RG3 doing anything this year. And to pick us to finish last when the Eagles are in the middle of a rebuild with questions at QB and a new coach, is just horrible.

I both agree and disagree with your assessment Matt.

First the agreement...picking Dallas isn't crazy. They are always hovering around within a game or two of winning the division. You have to imagine that one of these years they will be able to do so unless a team (hopefully our Skins) really becomes the 2000s Eagles and takes over the East. If no one assumes that position, it's going to be several years of hot-potato with the division crown changing hands.

As for the Eagles, I'm concerned about them. They have plenty of offensive talent on that team and a very innovative coach. It wouldn't shock me to see them take the league by storm the way our Zorn-skins did in 2008. The question becomes how long will it take for defenses to adjust and counterpunch. I have more confidence in Chip Kelly staying ahead of the curve than I did Jim Zorn.

So, you're certainly correct that, on paper, the Eagles seem like a logical choice to struggle through growing pains and a rebuild, but I think they have just as good a shot of being over .500. I hope I'm giving them way too much credit!

I both agree and disagree with your assessment Matt.

First the agreement...picking Dallas isn't crazy. They are always hovering around within a game or two of winning the division. You have to imagine that one of these years they will be able to do so unless a team (hopefully our Skins) really becomes the 2000s Eagles and takes over the East. If no one assumes that position, it's going to be several years of hot-potato with the division crown changing hands.

As for the Eagles, I'm concerned about them. They have plenty of offensive talent on that team and a very innovative coach. It wouldn't shock me to see them take the league by storm the way our Zorn-skins did in 2008. The question becomes how long will it take for defenses to adjust and counterpunch. I have more confidence in Chip Kelly staying ahead of the curve than I did Jim Zorn.

So, you're certainly correct that, on paper, the Eagles seem like a logical choice to struggle through growing pains and a rebuild, but I think they have just as good a shot of being over .500. I hope I'm giving them way too much credit!

Good points about the Eagles. I guess I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't finish last, but of all the team in the East, right now, the Eagles seem the most likely to finish 4th. And it usually seems all these publication try to be conservative in their predictions, which is why I find it weird they all seem to be picking us to finish at/or near the bottom this year after winning the division the previous season.

At first read it's offensive to be picked last. On second breath, the Cowboys and Redskins were a hair's breadth apart. This year, RGIII starts out injured. The Giants are good every other year and last year they plopped. The Eagles are a question mark and so, it'd be pretty easy to pick the skins number 1, 2, 3. The real fault is that everyone is picking the same way.

I think you could easily make an argument that the reasons why Dallas falls short are still present, that the Giants may have peaked and that the Eagles will experience growing pains or that Mike Vick is at this point what he is and is unlikely to transform.

Archived