Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I don't get the Heat fans who are angry with Wade. Guy took less money and a backseat to deliver them two more championships, after already delivering them one on his own(okay he had Shaq but Wade was THE guy that Finals run). Someone did that for a D.C. team I would worship the ground they walked on no matter where they signed with after. Guy should be a God in Miami for life.

ugh the NBA is so image dependant and backwards... Wade should be gone if the NBA functioned properly, he's an aging veteran who's not worth the money on a team that's not winning a championship.  But, because there is so little to root for at a given time around the league, a distribution of players around the league just to appease fanbases is what is necessary since teams could literally just collapse like the 6ers at any minute since there aren't enough good players to go around for however many teams this league has.

It's the same source of issue with lebron in 20whatever, Durant now, Wade now, etc.  This whole meltdown any time a player leaves is more about the lack of depth on teams as opposed to anything else.  One player moving could destroy the whole house of cards each and every time and people need oxygen masks to get over it and move off the ledge. 

Again...I'm not worried about 2016 Wade not getting top guy money but I think it's kinda F up that dude made that franchise into a true great one and never was the top paid guy. It doesn't sit right with me. Honestly I'm cool with it because at least I get to watch a legend finish up his career with my squad. The team will be terrible but it'll be exciting lol

And I was just busting your balls Steve.

When I realized the Heat only have their 1st round pick this year and lose it the next two years, it makes more sense. They obviously want to tank to start a rebuild and this is a good draft to do that. Adding one of these pieces to their young core would be nice. Can't do that with Wade scrapping them into a low playoff seed

And I was just busting your balls Steve.

Derrick Rose was actually one of my favorite non-Wizard players. Not just his talent, but I liked the way he carried himself off the court too. Annoying little **** that he could be sometimes, I always liked Joakim Noah too. I liked the passion and competitiveness and IQ with which he played. I understand how it feels as a fan when your team kicks one of their iconic players to the curb after they get old or injured and decline.

In the calculus of fans + players + ownership and management, fans are the only ones who are expected to be loyal. And they're the ones who get crapped on constantly by both the players and the owners and have no real say in the operation of the league despite the fact they are the ones who ultimately pay for everything. Anyway the NBA is straying into dangerous water with how uncompetitive it has become. The best players don't give a damn about competition, they just want to increase their brand value and they achieve it by teaming up with their peers on super teams. The players are too stupid and selfish to actually care about the fans and the health of the league to police themselves and keep it competitive. And fans aren't able or willing to hold them accountable apparently. That much was made clear to me by reading all of the mental gymnastics that went on in this thread to try and excuse Kevin Durant's ****-ass decision. So it'll be up to the (mostly) stupid and incompetent owners to seize more control from the players during the next lockout and institute a hard cap to instill a semblance of parity in the league.

Derrick Rose was actually one of my favorite non-Wizard players. Not just his talent, but I liked the way he carried himself off the court too. Annoying little **** that he could be sometimes, I always liked Joakim Noah too. I liked the passion and competitiveness and IQ with which he played. I understand how it feels as a fan when your team kicks one of their iconic players to the curb after they get old or injured and decline.

In the calculus of fans + players + ownership and management, fans are the only ones who are expected to be loyal. And they're the ones who get crapped on constantly by both the players and the owners and have no real say in the operation of the league despite the fact they are the ones who ultimately pay for everything. Anyway the NBA is straying into dangerous water with how uncompetitive it has become. The best players don't give a damn about competition, they just want to increase their brand value and they achieve it by teaming up with their peers on super teams. The players are too stupid and selfish to actually care about the fans and the health of the league to police themselves and keep it competitive. And fans aren't able or willing to hold them accountable apparently. That much was made clear to me by reading all of the mental gymnastics that went on in this thread to try and excuse Kevin Durant's ****-ass decision. So it'll be up to the (mostly) stupid and incompetent owners to seize more control from the players during the next lockout and institute a hard cap to instill a semblance of parity in the league.

Serious question, when has the NBA ever been competitive?

I love the league but historically, there is rarely a point where more than 3-4 teams have a realistic shot at even getting to the Finals. Basketball can be influenced by one player more than any other sport. Even if KD stayed, that doesnt give the other 26-27 teams any bigger of a shot.

Basically you have to somehow draft an all time player. Those come around maybe every 5-6 years. Without that, you arent winning. So that in of itself, limits who realistically has a shot. 

And **** the owners. 

• Like 2

BRAVE is right. NBA is weird in the sense that its both the easiest and hardest to win a title in. Easiest in the sense that once you get that superstar player, you're pretty much a lock to be a top 4 team in the league for the duration of his career. But hardest in the sense that if you don't have that player you have a 0% chance.

• Like 2

Serious question, when has the NBA ever been competitive?

I love the league but historically, there is rarely a point where more than 3-4 teams have a realistic shot at even getting to the Finals. Basketball can be influenced by one player more than any other sport. Even if KD stayed, that doesnt give the other 26-27 teams any bigger of a shot.

Basically you have to somehow draft an all time player. Those come around maybe every 5-6 years. Without that, you arent winning. So that in of itself, limits who realistically has a shot. 

And **** the owners.

The last time there was real parity in the NBA was the 70's. But the last time the title was up for grabs by more than three or four teams was the 2014-2015 season. And prior to that, the dissolution of the Shaq/Kobe Lakers opened the league up to a decent variety of contenders that lasted basically until the Heatles formed and got through their growing pains. Now we're looking at a stretch where we might see the same three teams winning all of the championships from 2014 to 2024.

That little parity might have worked for the league when it was niche in the 80's and before the NFL conquered the landscape of major revenue American pro sports. But now the NFL has proven the value of the parity model and the NBA would be dumb to reject it.

You do usually need a HoF caliber player to win a title. But the league's landscape alters quickly and dramatically. And sometimes players make unexpected leaps to HoF status once they hit the right point in their careers and get the right chemical mix of teammates surrounding them. That's what happened with Steph Curry. No one, and I truly mean no one, foresaw him making the jump to becoming the best player in the NBA the year he won his first MVP. And that was true going into that very season.

The NBA could achieve an acceptable level of parity by limiting the power of star players to move around and still get max deals and engage in team building. They could disperse the star caliber talent throughout 14-15 teams. They could make it so that no team is realistically able to accumulate and horde more than two legit stars. And make it impossible to do what GS did and lure one of the game's best players away from a rival and add him to an extant title team without giving up any of your own stars in the process. All it would take is a hard cap.

• Like 1

That it is a hugely positive development for Houston and a show of good faith on their part. I didn't even know you could renegotiate contracts before they were over like that. Even though they've raised their cap commitment by doing this, they are raising it during a time when everyone has tons of cap space because of the lack of smoothing and so having a bunch of it doesn't give you much of a competitive advantage. The only downside for the team is the player option on the final year.

Simmons seems to have that vision that can't be taught.  You don't see passes like that commonly from bigs.  In fact you don't see the kinds of passes he's putting on the money from anyone other than good passing point guards.   

It would be interesting to see him running the point without any point guard on the floor.  Just three big wings that can make life difficult for the opposing teams guards.  Too bad the 76ers don't have the personnel to really try anything like that.     

Just hope the lost souls of Philly don't drag into the void his first year. I f he can get by this year and not lose the will/love to play basketball ( or have footage surface on worldstar of him fighting a transvestite in a dingy alley), the 76ers will be back in business

Edited by Mr. Sinister