Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Shame on him for growing up. Gee, how long ago was that?

Not gonna lie, I thought about that too, and have never been famliar enough with him to know whether he changed or not. But right now he is saying and doing what needs to be done.

The judge for Draymond Green's case is named........

Dick Ball.

I kid you not. Dray's so doomed... Does Michigan still use the electric chair?

I mean, this is reaching Adam Sandler comedy levels...

Let's just admit to this: What is happening with Lebron James as "the face of the game" is really kind of cool.

I don't know if he made the decision after he went to Miami, after he won his first title or after he made the decision to go back to Cleveland. I suspect it was somewhere between the first title and the move back to Cleveland, because the Heat did do the Trayvon hoodie pictures.

Anyway, at some point, he made the realization that he was more important to the NBA than the NBA was to him, and he was more important to Nike than Nike was to him. And he decided that they were going to meet him on his terms. And his terms was some form of real, impactful political activism.

After 30some years of athletes following the Michael and Magic approach of never upsetting the sponsors - unless you were some kind of nihilist like AI or Rodman - it's really fascinating to see these guys tell the sponsors that "We are going here, and you are coming with us."

It seemed like the athletes of the 80s and 90s sprinted from Ali, Jim Brown, Russell, Kareem, etc. as fast as they could run. And these guys are running back to them....and are bringing Nike with them.

It seemed like the athletes of the 80s and 90s sprinted from Ali, Jim Brown, Russell, Kareem, etc. as fast as they could run. And these guys are running back to them....and are bringing Nike with them.

I didn't think I could possibly dislike Jordan (undoubtedly the GOAT, I'm no hater) more than I already did but seeing LeBron and Co stand up there really laid out Jordan's failure on that front. You'd think someone who lost a father the way he did, he would have had something to say somewhere along the way but nope.

(I got more to say on this but I got someone I want to talk to about it first.)

Shame on him for growing up. Gee, how long ago was that?

It seems, to me, fairly reasonable to react to Melo's triumphant return to the topic of police and community interaction with raised eye brows.  A sudden positive move on his part is welcome, but why expect it to go without comment?  While it was long ago, it was also bizarre as hell and far from any standard list of youthful indiscretions.  People tend to remember that sort of thing.  Before that video surfaced, how many Americans do you imagine had even considered that street gangs produced their own PSA style videos and that they would be just as cringe worthy?        

• Like 2

I didn't think I could possibly dislike Jordan (undoubtedly the GOAT, I'm no hater) more than I already did but seeing LeBron and Co stand up there really laid out Jordan's failure on that front. You'd think someone who lost a father the way he did, he would have had something to say somewhere along the way but nope.

(I got more to say on this but I got someone I want to talk to about it first.)

All of their failures.

Magic is a mixed bag. He deserves a lot of praise for proving that athletes can invest in their own communities and get rich in the process. He's also a bland, corporate shill who spent a good ten years of life really working hard to prove he was not gay.

Bird has literally not uttered one interesting sentence in his life, aside from calling his teammates sissies on occasion.

Jordan wouldn't say "Don't smoke crack" if he wasn't paid to do so.

Barkley has a reputation as a truth teller, but whenever he gets political, he usually sounds like an email that has FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW in the title. His political philosophy is yelling "Pull up your damn pants" while sitting at a blackjack table.

Ewing played for John Thompson and seemed to think "Nope....not doing that."

Isiah has proven repeatedly that being unselfish on the court doesn't mean anything off the court.

It seems, to me, fairly reasonable to react to Melo's triumphant return to the topic of police and community interaction with raised eye brows. A sudden positive move on his part is welcome, but why expect it to go without comment? While it was long ago, it was also bizarre as hell and far from any standard list of youthful indiscretions. People tend to remember that sort of thing. Before that video surfaced, how many Americans do you imagine had even considered that street gangs produced their own PSA style videos and that they would be just as cringe worthy?

No, destino, I'm crazy. I have a problem with famous black people taking a stance on issues that affect the communities they are from. I'm very transparent in this.

Would Nike have supported it in the 80s and 90s?

Edited by Major Harris
  • Like 1

It seems, to me, fairly reasonable to react to Melo's triumphant return to the topic of police and community interaction with raised eye brows.  A sudden positive move on his part is welcome, but why expect it to go without comment?  While it was long ago, it was also bizarre as hell and far from any standard list of youthful indiscretions.  People tend to remember that sort of thing.  Before that video surfaced, how many Americans do you imagine had even considered that street gangs produced their own PSA style videos and that they would be just as cringe worthy?

I mean Carmelo was marching in Baltimore last year after the riots and was making statements like that.

People just dont pay attention, which is fine.

Barkley has a reputation as a truth teller, but whenever he gets political, he usually sounds like an email that has FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW in the title. His political philosophy is yelling "Pull up your damn pants" while sitting at a blackjack table.

Barkley is an idiot, sadly he does not know he is an idiot.

Isiah has proven repeatedly that being unselfish on the court doesn't mean anything off the court.

not sure what this means, but Isiah helps in Chicago.

Just the mainstream media and public by and large do not care because they tend not to care about black people acting on the cause of crime in the community. That with the fact that they hate Isiah Thomas as well leads to being ignored.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/8408360/isiah-thomas-turns-hoops-peace-chicago-gangs

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

It seems, to me, fairly reasonable to react to Melo's triumphant return to the topic of police and community interaction with raised eye brows. A sudden positive move on his part is welcome, but why expect it to go without comment? While it was long ago, it was also bizarre as hell and far from any standard list of youthful indiscretions. People tend to remember that sort of thing. Before that video surfaced, how many Americans do you imagine had even considered that street gangs produced their own PSA style videos and that they would be just as cringe worthy?

It is not a sudden positive movement because he's been involved for a while now. It was a thinly veiled attack on someone's character based on something stupid they said when they were young.

I know some of the geriatric people on this board have an issue with the younger generation but y'all are lucky we didn't have technology to capture all the stupid things you guys must have done/said back then.

• Like 3

It is not a sudden positive movement because he's been involved for a while now. It was a thinly veiled attack on someone's character based on something stupid they said when they were young.

I know some of the geriatric people on this board have an issue with the younger generation but y'all are lucky we didn't have technology to capture all the stupid things you guys must have done/said back then.

It's amazing how you can make up your mind about a person because of one tongue in cheek post. Gtfo out of here.

Except that what Carmelo said wasn't tongue and cheek.

What he endorsed back then was one of the very things that leads to the issues he's now battling as a changed man. That "movement" is one of the singular most damaging things a person in his position can ever endorse.

And seeing as how many people have died because of it, and how many people live in fear because of it, and how police react to communities where it is rampant, im not so sure I'd brush it off as something that anyone could say as a youngin.

What he's doing now is to be applauded, but in my mind, he lost the right to be viewed how he wants to be viewed when he did that. The fact he changed is fine. People who lived under the dark cloud of "Stop Snitching" can't change

They're dead, or are conditioned against the very thing he's now championing.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Post is dripping in irony to the point that I'm almost certain it's intentional.

Are you insinuating that because of my question about carmelo?

The post was tongue in cheek. I haven't even really defended the post, was not trying to make a big deal out of it, at all.

So, in order to clarify, and end this silliness, i fully admit i don't pay enough attention to know that carmelo has made a turn for the better. Good for him. I have no problem with this type of activism (which is y i never questioned any of the other 3) The stop snitching video definitely came to mind when i saw the guys message, and i posted what i posted. I'm not sure why that's so out of line.

Edited by Major Harris
  • Like 2

Are you insinuating that because of my question about carmelo?

The post was tongue in cheek. I haven't even really defended the post, was not trying to make a big deal out of it, at all.

So, in order to clarify, and end this silliness, i fully admit i don't pay enough attention to know that carmelo has made a turn for the better. Good for him. I have no problem with this type of activism (which is y i never questioned any of the other 3) The stop snitching video definitely came to mind when i saw the guys message, and i posted what i posted. I'm not sure why that's so out of line.

I get where you're coming from, and it should serve as a cautionary tale to everyone that just because we change, doesn't mean our past changes, and the people who's lives (directly or indirectly) we've negatively affected, and that some words can never be taken back. Edited by Mr. Sinister

Lol i really was not trying to fight and am surprised at how his this played out

Bad timing...

There is a lot of that type of rhetoric going around (different dialogue), and I think people are getting sick of hearing it.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

That's fair.  Though I suspect that it's also fair to say that most of the old people shaking their fists at clouds never appeared in a crazy gang land snitching PSA.  I'm not sure I've ever seen another street gang informational video.  It stands out.

It's like seeing Tupac doing the humpty dance.  Sure he evolved and changed over time.  But bruh....

• Like 1