Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I was listening to the Russilo show, and they got into it. Talking about how skip can't take criticism, and it's easier to just leave him alone instead of dealing with him.

Yep. And SVP went into a rant about "the ones who have made a career out of bashing LeBron." He was called out on it and his response, "I didn't mention any names." Obviously he was talking about Skip Bayless.

Skip Bayless trolls for a living. I doubt he believes half the stuff he says, he just does it to stir up crap. It's part of his job.

Exactly. I thought Russilo and SVP came off as a little jealous though. It's been well documented that Skip will be making around $6M per year. That has to drive them crazy.

Exactly. I thought Russilo and SVP came off as a little jealous though. It's been well documented that Skip will be making around $6M per year. That has to drive them crazy.

He's good at his job. He says crazy, off the wall things and it gets people all riled up. That's what he's paid to do. That's what drives the ratings.

Lebron is the greatest player not named Jordan to ever play in the NBA. That's not anything to be upset about.

He could surpass him too. It's closer than it's ever been for me.

And That's all I've got to say about that.

(Stone cold middle Fingers up)

Whatever reason I used to have to dislike him simply isn't there anymore. It could be that I'm getting older but honestly I think he's really matured as an individual and I'm starting to like him. He's a good dude and I'm happy for him.

He worked his ass off to win a title for his hometown and he should be a god to Cleveland fans. I don't agree that he's on the same level as Jordan but I could be wrong about that as well. Either way the guys an incredible player and has grown up so much. Good for him.

Have anyone else caught how several ESPN personalities are taking shots at Skip Bayless over LeBron now that he's leaving after tomorrow? They had MANY opportunities, why now?

Clearly because he is leaving... I would venture that ESPN management encourages it as well.

• Like 1

I was listening to this afternoon and one person (I don't know who.  I don't normally listen to ESPN radio) said they felt like they could criticize Skip because he was leaving and that if you did it normally, you got called into the principal's office.

I'm not sure if ESPN is/and to encourage it now vs. they were pretty actively discouraging it before.

On the bright side, depending on what Durant does, I see no reason to think we won't get the rubber match next season.

Hopefully this turns into our generations Lakers/Celtics with the contrasting styles and genuine dislike etc

Cavs can ship off Love for some pieces that fit better and become a true force.

Warriors can reshape their team as well and get better. Hopefully they cruise in the regular season and entire the playoffs hitting their stride

Maybe.  I think Lebron really did not like some of the Warriors comments/trash talking or Curry's look in response.

So maybe you could see a real rivalry grow there.

(And I don't know how you can call the Cavs with Love not a true force when they've just been to back-to-back championships and won the last one.)

Edited by PeterMP

I'm glad Cleveland won, but those last 4 minutes of mostly missed shots on both sides were strange to watch for a 7th game. LeBron did a great job of blocking at the rim, but the difference between he and Jordan is that Jordan would have been dropping them in those 4 minutes. The NBA should have a new rule... any player with at least one foot completely behind the half court line whether standing or before a jump shot to the basket, and of course making it in... should be 4 points. I wonder if Golden State would have tried it. 

(And I don't know how you can call the Cavs with Love not a true force when they've just been to back-to-back championships and won the last one.)

Maybe a poor choice of words but I just meant that despite winning I don't think he's a piece that fits with them so moving him for players that fit better would make them even tougher by removing a very large weakness they currently have

I'm glad Cleveland won, but those last 4 minutes of mostly missed shots on both sides were strange to watch for a 7th game. LeBron did a great job of blocking at the rim, but the difference between he and Jordan is that Jordan would have been dropping them in those 4 minutes. The NBA should have a new rule... any player with at least one foot completely behind the half court line whether standing or before a jump shot to the basket, and of course making it in... should be 4 points. I wonder if Golden State would have tried it.

am i the only one who watched game 6 of the 1998 finals?

or game 7 of the Indiana/Bulls series that year?

• Like 3

Hopefully Curry will actually play like an MVP, that would've helped. Actually, in this case it would've been a mismatch for Golden State but he was so average at best, it evened the series.

If Curry put as much effort into getting better at defense as he does trying to hit shots from damn near half-court, we may never have this conversation ever again. If he comes into next season thinking he has to shot better, that will be his legacy.

Alright, let's move on from the legacy debate. Does anyone challenge Cleveland in the East next year?

Too early to answer that. There's a couple moves that could cause powershifts, and the truth is LeBron officially doesn't have to stay in Cleveland if he doesn't want to, imo. He doesn't owe them anything anymore.

Alright, let's move on from the legacy debate. Does anyone challenge Cleveland in the East next year?

Not unless Durant ends up in Toronto or DC. I think this championship is going to elevate Kyrie Irving to being a better and more complete player, such that he can be the Dwyane Wade for LeBron in Cleveland.

But injuries happen so you can't take anything for granted. I never would have thought the Warriors would become mortal like they did this postseason based on the way they destroyed the regular season. But Steph Curry's ankle and knee injuries completely changed them.

This postseason also showed that the seven game series is now much more of a crapshoot than it used to be. The team with a significantly better record used to be the easy favorite 9/10 times due to the nature of a 7 game series. But a 55 win team just bounced a 67 win team, came within a hair of bouncing a 73 win team, and a 57 win team ultimately did bounce the 73 win juggernaut that was on track for status as the GOAT team.

The NBA has become much less predictable. It's not nearly to the level of wildness of baseball or hockey playoffs. Or even the NFL. But it's opening up for a larger top tier of teams.

Another thing: I think it's obvious Kevin Love's shoulder injury last postseason was pretty irrelevant, but Kyrie Irving's injury in game one of last year's finals becomes a big what if in my mind. Could they have taken Golden State to seven and beaten them last year too if he hadn't gotten hurt? It's crazy how much has hinged on these past two finals when it comes to player and franchise legacies. These are interesting times for the NBA, and I'm glad that Golden State got a championship last year because they might not be able to keep the team together and get another one. It would be a huge shame if this was their peak, but it does happen. Happened to Boston at the end of the last decade--one of the greatest teams in NBA history but only for a span of two or three seasons.

I think it's clear that Cleveland has been underachieving in the regular season the past two years. The year before was understandable, as they were adjusting to a completely new roster. But this year's Cleveland team should have easily finished with mid 60's wins. This is a good group and they are head and shoulders better than the rest of their conference--they are on par with the best teams in the West. I think it's reasonable to expect them to win 63-65 games next year. Especially because they are going to have a ton of confidence and cohesion after going on a championship run together.

Bill Walton had an interesting take on James. 

Essentially he said..when the Cavs win, it's King James this and King James that. When they lose, it's Kevin Love's fault. Why is that?

Seems more accurate than sour grapes. I do wish the high road that James allegedly took didn't mean it gave him a new level to crow from. But whatever. 

To the victor..

am i the only one who watched game 6 of the 1998 finals?

or game 7 of the Indiana/Bulls series that year?

Im just wondering what kind of mechanism automatically makes people keep jumping to what Jordan would've done. Do his biggest detractors (not saying its anyone here) not realize that when all you have left to say is what Jordan couldve done better, you have lost?

Bill Walton had an interesting take on James.

Essentially he said..when the Cavs win, it's King James this and King James that. When they lose, it's Kevin Love's fault. Why is that?

Seems more accurate than sour grapes. .

Seems more like BS. The dude catches heat for even blowing a fart the wrong way

I think he was more talking about how James portrays it. It's at least how non-fans of his see it (whether it's accurate or not).

He did have a time during the middle of the season when I thought he was shortcircuiting. Not to mention the Twitter stuff from the season before. But no one really has to say anything to know that that was a bad trade.