Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

So I was scratching my head over whether or not the Warriors are on par with the 18-1 Patriots over the worse ending to a great season or however you want to put it.  My initial thought is that the Patriots are worse because they lost a heavily favored game to screw up an undefeated season.  But I could make an argument for the Warriors.  They had the best regular season ever, had a 3-1 lead in the finals, and every step of the way were favored to win it all.  Basketball is not a single elimination playoffs so it's not like they had a bad game.  In the regular season they showed that they were the best ever.  In the finals, they proved otherwise.

I feel like both teams 5 years from now will have gone from best team ever? to maybe top 10?

Edited by spaceman47

I don't think anybody considers the Cavs best team ever or even top 5-10 now

I was referring to the Warriors and Patriots teams.  This year the talk was on how the Warriors may be the best ever and now that they have lost, I think 5 years from now they will be just another great team with a record.

I think he will retire a Mav, but I like Dirk's fit on any of the four power teams.

Big men with shooting ability like Dirk are unicorns that could literally help every single team in the league improve. You could realistically get 150 threes on good percentages from your PF or C spot with him.

Another thing: I think it's obvious Kevin Love's shoulder injury last postseason was pretty irrelevant, but Kyrie Irving's injury in game one of last year's finals becomes a big what if in my mind. Could they have taken Golden State to seven and beaten them last year too if he hadn't gotten hurt? It's crazy how much has hinged on these past two finals when it comes to player and franchise legacies. These are interesting times for the NBA, and I'm glad that Golden State got a championship last year because they might not be able to keep the team together and get another one. It would be a huge shame if this was their peak, but it does happen. Happened to Boston at the end of the last decade--one of the greatest teams in NBA history but only for a span of two or three seasons.

well to counter that point, what if Curry's knee wasnt wrecked or Bogut doesnt get injured?

that is why "what ifs" and asterisks are nonsense.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

I think he will retire a Mav, but I like Dirk's fit on any of the four power teams.

Big men with shooting ability like Dirk are unicorns that could literally help every single team in the league improve. You could realistically get 150 threes on good percentages from your PF or C spot with him.

They do need an iso player badly, also another big. Dirks older, but he kills two birds with one stone. I think you can play Draymond at the 3 when Barnes leaves. With all the attention going to Steph and Klay, even old Dirk will eat.

I feel like both teams 5 years from now will have gone from best team ever? to maybe top 10?

I think they're still one of the greatest teams ever. The two year run they enjoyed is the second best such run in NBA history. Losing a nailbiter game seven in the finals doesn't kill their legacy. And the truth is that they probably would have cruised to a ring if Curry hadn't gotten hurt in the Houston series. It's clear he was never right after that happened, and his absentee series in the Finals is ultimately what killed them. Despite the fact they got outstanding performances here and there from some of the role players, particularly Iggy and Green, that team is only invincible when Curry plays like an MVP.

• Like 1

If you can replace Festus Ezeli with Dirk Nowitzski...I think you do that.

So that the Cavs have an easier time playing iso ball when the Warriors switch everything?  Dirk would take Speights role if any, he doesn't replace a center and a rebounder, at least not without making a soft team softer.  The Warriors need a defensive center and some physicality in general. 

They should try to sign Nene for next to nothing, he gives them a physical defender a easily a guy that backs down from no one.  Used as rarely as they used Speights he can score in short stints as well.  Wouldn't be a big piece of the puzzle but it could help.  Instead of Durant they should go after a defensive center to replace Bogut, they can still go small to make up some ground scoring but the playoffs showed that they need some size around the rim that can actually stay on the floor.  Both the Thunder and Cavs exploited that.  

If they want Durant I think they'd have to choose which one of their three stars they don't want.  There just isn't enough cap room to have 4 max players.  They'd shorten their own window trying that. 

So that the Cavs have an easier time playing iso ball when the Warriors switch everything? Dirk would take Speights role if any, he doesn't replace a center and a rebounder, at least not without making a soft team softer. The Warriors need a defensive center and some physicality in general.

I dunno. They are largely an offensive team. I think you work within your wheelhouse. Bogut is a defensive center but is useless offensively. I dunno if you want yet another defensive center, unless you package Bogut and whoever else for one with some inside scoring ability.

I dunno. They are largely an offensive team. I think you work within your wheelhouse. Bogut is a defensive center but is useless offensively. I dunno if you want yet another defensive center, unless you package Bogut and whoever else for one with some inside scoring ability.

They aren't supposed to be just an offensive team.  Playing that way is why they lost.  They can't get out in transition and dazzle the basketball universe if they can't get stops. 

• Like 1

Sorry Sin, but I wonder if Whiteside wouldn't be the ideal player for them to chase after this offseason? Definitely give them a tough defender and rebounder inside.

The Warriors are exceptional in that they are just about the only team in the league that can add any player without having to consider the question "what does this do to my floor spacing?"

This postseason also showed that the seven game series is now much more of a crapshoot than it used to be. The team with a significantly better record used to be the easy favorite 9/10 times due to the nature of a 7 game series. But a 55 win team just bounced a 67 win team, came within a hair of bouncing a 73 win team, and a 57 win team ultimately did bounce the 73 win juggernaut that was on track for status as the GOAT team.

The NBA has become much less predictable. It's not nearly to the level of wildness of baseball or hockey playoffs. Or even the NFL. But it's opening up for a larger top tier of teams.

I think it is pretty clear that Lebron, and I suspect that trickles down to some of the other Cavs coasts some during the regular season.

I think Lebron wants to be the #1 seed in the East, but he also has a sense of saving his body/energy.

You're probably a Curry fan or a Wall fan. Bottom line is he delivered be you boys couldn't! They dream of having handles like Kyrie. Why not just witness what you saw and appreciate it. And bow down to King James. 73 wins, was a failure. Last years championship was because of injury to the Cavs. Poetic justice served!

Not a GS fan, but this is exactly why I wished that GS won.

Because they got beat straight up? Don't give me Bogut. Cavs took two on the Dubs home court which no one thought was possible.

i think he was referring to the irritating "woot woot, in your face!!!"  first post... (which would probably be better placed at, and better received by, the Jim Rome show)

----but---- i see no reason to think that it would be any better or worse if GS or Cavs won... just DIFFERENT chickenhawks squawking in the schoolyard.

This is as ridiculous as arguing that LeBron can't be the best ever because he lost the 2007 Finals. Nobody was getting past Bird-McHale-Parrish and he didn't have a decent teammate until Pippen, who didn't become Pippen really until his third year in the league. Harping on him losing to teams filled with  Hall of Famers is unfair. Just as unfair as harping on LeBron  for losing when his teammates couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Last night was a sensational accomplishment for LeBron. When he retires, it's going to be him and Michael at a dinner for two, and then everyone else. Who is 1A and 1B we can debate until the cows come home but it's irrelevant at this point, this isn't an NHL situation where Gretzky put so much separation between him and everyone else. 

The pettiness on both sides of the debate shows how much we really can't just appreciate greatness in sports. I mean I really dislike LeBron, but the guy is an amazing basketball player and worthy of Mt. Rushmore.

you realize that you are AGREEING with him with this post.... right?

• Like 1

I didn't love the trade, and I still think at some level that Wiggins might be the better fit, especially longer term, but I also don't think Love is a bad fit in Cleveland, and some of it is just personality.  He's willing to be the 3rd wheel even if it means his contribution is to get a ton rebounds.  But there are games and teams that they need his scoring and his ability to space and post.

I guess if they could get a 3 point shooting/rim protecting 4/5 that would be a better fit, but those people aren't easy to find or get.

With Irving and Lebron though there are going to be games where there just aren't a lot of touches for a 3rd scorer (and even JR Smith into it in that he's a streaky hot shooter and if he's hot that's going to drain shots/scoring from others), and I don't think those guys are going to change their game.

Irving is never going to share the ball well, and while Lebron is a great passer, he's going to always want to dictate the offense, but there are also going to be games where they are going to need scoring from somewhere else.

He does need to find a way to more efficient in games where he doesn't get a lot of touches.  Some people seem to be able to go multiple possessions without touching the ball, and then when they get it, their still great.  Others can't (this is something I've struggled with.  The more I touch the ball, the better I am.).

But assuming he can make that adjustment, I think he fits pretty well.  I wouldn't trade him for a Gasol or Horford.

(For the Cavs, Irving is simultaneously the problem and the solution.)

Edited by PeterMP

If he had it to do all over again, I guarantee that Kerr would rest guys down the stretch and hit the playoffs with 67/68 wins.

This is pointless. The Warriors win if Curry plays decent or if Ezeli is benched all Game 7. In fact, if Ezeli missed his alarm clock they win Game 7.