Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

He's definitely the greatest passing forward ever besides maybe Larry Bird but any gap between the two is miniscule. No disrespect to Rick Barry.

Rick Barry was great and should be remembered better, but he was not in the same league as Lebron or Bird as a passer.  

I would put Pippen and CWebb up there with Barry in the second tier.   Some others too, but Lebron and Bird are a step above. 

Or doesn't pay attention to defense.   

Yeah I agree.  I would say it was more a bad gameplan than simply a failure to show up defensively.  Cleveland sold out all night to hound and double both Curry and Klay all over the court, hoping that the rest of the Warriors wouldn't hurt them.   That's a bad strategy, because the rest of the Warriors are not a bunch of stiffs and they happily took what was being given to them.

I also enjoyed it when Lebron threw his bench under the bus after the game.   He has a knack of looking bad at times like that.

To be fair, Cleveland's bench was terrible. Particularly Dellavadova. The turning point in the game was at the end of the third with 2 minutes left and he immediately helped spur the Warriors to a run with sloppy ball handling. Not to mention he passed up wide open threes when the Warriors sagged off of him to defend Lebron. He was worthless.

going into the series my money would have been on GS in 5 but game 2 is the one that could change things.  I don't think it's possible to go down 2-0 against GS and have any prayer of finishing 4-1 (and nevermind 4-0) in the series unless Steph and Klay both get severe injuries in games 2 or 3.

I am a mets fan and in the WS last year one of the extremely noticeable things was just how different the team chemistry was for either team, the Royals were truly together and played with a certain unity, while the Mets had a ton of talent but just seemed to have a more disjointed "business like" approach that doesn't have the same special-ness that the Royals were coming with.  That's just like these two teams.  GS, despite in my opinion having the best player on the planet anyway, regardless of if he won MVP this year or not (which he did unaminously), also happens to have an extremely unified team where the Cavs just feel emotionally cold from top to bottom.

I am indeed rooting for the Cavs however, because many of the particular reasons for me thinking Lebron is a playoff underachiever are the same reasons why he's not likely to explode for a 60 point game and "do what needs to be done to win" and which is why they will probably lose in 5 or 6, but I still root for him to "change" that.   This might be the final year though to root for him at 1a of the pecking order. He will be 32 next year and if Curry at 28/29 and on a much more stable team also has 2 rings, Curry will probably usurp him as the player who has the greatest chance of the greatest legacy of this generation (which is what I root for).  I guess lebron could still break the tie next year so I will probably get sucked into rooting for him again next year too, but that would be the final final year unless he wins the chip this year (or next year). 

1. Coaching is almost always over-rated.

2. Having said that, Kerr is a pretty good coach. And I think he has a pretty sharp staff.

3. This is two years in a row where a fairly basic adjustment by Kerr pretty much de-pantsed the Cavs.

4. The talk going into this was how Dellevawhiteguy was a defensive stopper off the bench. This Livingston match-up may make him unplayable for the rest of the series.

• Like 1

What adjustment did Kerr make? Livingston has been getting good minutes all season long, and has arguably earned himself a payday. Dellavadova has nothing to do with it.

The game was over when Lebron sat for the 2-3 minutes that he did at the end of the 3rd-beginning of the 4th. Without him Irving has to play point, and he still doesnt know how to do that.

4. The talk going into this was how Dellevawhiteguy was a defensive stopper off the bench. This Livingston match-up may make him unplayable for the rest of the series.

He's not going to stay that hot.  Livingston is being wildly over rated right now.  Foye and Waiters managed to defend him in the OKC series where Livingston barely contributed at all. 

The Cavs have the impossible task of hiding two starters on defense.  Three if you count JR Smith.  

• Like 1

What adjustment did Kerr make? Livingston has been getting good minutes all season long, and has arguably earned himself a payday. Dellavadova has nothing to do with it.

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA 5h5 hours ago

Lineup Kerr used to open 2Q and 4Q -- Barbosa/Livingston/Iggy/Barnes/Green -- had played 1 minute all season before Game 1.

• Like 3

1.  Count me as somebody that thinks the Cavs have no real shot.  Yeah, they might win a game or so, but I don't think it will even go 7.

2.  Dellavedova has to set his feet and shoot the 3 in those situations or draw the defender and keep the ball moving.  He can drive and kick, but that runner is just not a good shot.  But he isn't why they lost.

3.  Livingston, obviously, is not going to make 80% of his shots every game, but I suspect that he'll score on Dellavedova at a high rate through out the series to the point that match up is a loss for the Cavs.

4.  The hope that this year the Cavs would be better able to play with GS was not just based on the addition of Irving and Love, but also because of the addition of Frye and their style of play has changed.

5.  Realistically, I never gave them much hope.  They are trying to out GS GS, which just seems likely to fail.

6.  I was actually never for the Love trade.  Given how Wiggins played in the 2nd half of the year, I'd like to see a Cavs lineup of Lebron, Wiggins, and Irving against GS (now I guess realistically Wiggins might not have developed in the same way on the Cavs as he has done with the TimberWolves, but still given where Wiggins appeared to be in the 2nd half of the season, I think Wiggins-Lebron-Irving gives GS more trouble than Lebron-Irving-Love).

7.  I think it is clear that Cavs can't come with a Dellavedova,Matthew - James,LeBron - Jefferson,Richard - Love,Kevin - Shumpert,Iman lineup.  You can't hide Love, Dellavdova, and Jefferson on D against GS and Jefferson, Thompson, and Dellavedova don't play enough D together to make up for their lack of offense.

And if JR Smith is going to be a non-factor on offense, then Dellavedova,Matthew - Irving,Kyrie - Shumpert,Iman - Smith,JR - Thompson,Tristan is a disaster too.

8.  Any chance they try and dust off Mozgov?  I know he had some injury issues and never got right this year, but at times his size seemed to give GS issues last year.  Maybe in spurts he could give you something.

I really think with a healthy Mozgov and Irving last year the Cavs were better suited to give GS issues (i.e. the first game in the finals last year) than this year with a hurt Mozgov and a healthy Love and Irving.

Edited by PeterMP

They may go with Mozgov as that did give GS some fits last year. The problem was GS already figured out the adjustment to that lineup but starting their lineup of death. The Cavs couldn't defend that last year....and that's without Love and Irving and their defensive deficiencies on the floor.

The problem with Cleveland is that they have a very good defensive lineup and a very good offensive lineup but the only common factor between them is Lebron. GSW has an otherworldly offensive lineup and a top 3 in the league defensive lineup....and they are largely the same. So the Cavs either have to hit 3s at a ridiculous rate or make very dramatic lineup changes to win this matchup over the next 6 games.

It's not really Cleveland's fault. In nearly any other NBA season, they would be the clear favorite to win the title. They've just been unfortunate over the last two years to run into what is probably going to be remembered as an all-time juggernaut of a team.

It seems like we've spent two years trying to figure out how to beat this Warriors team and they've won like 90 percent of their games. OKC actually presented matchup problems for them because everyone on that team is either a 6'11 freak or the greatest pure athlete in NBA history. But OKC gets super-limited offensively sometimes and the Warriors eventually figured that out.

This Warriors' team really feels like one of those super teams from the 80s that had All-Stars on the bench because the league only had 23 teams. Having a weapon like Livingston on the bench is the equivalent of the Celtics throwing out Scott Wedman for 20 minutes knowing that he was a former all star who could hit 9 out of 10 shots just for the hell of it.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

They may go with Mozgov as that did give GS some fits last year. The problem was GS already figured out the adjustment to that lineup but starting their lineup of death. The Cavs couldn't defend that last year....and that's without Love and Irving and their defensive deficiencies on the floor.

I'd argue if healthy, Mozgov actually helps cover the defensive deficiencies over others because he gives you a real rim protector.

vs. people like JR Smith, Dellavadova, Frye, and Jefferson, which just magnify the defensive short comings of Irving and Love.

Look at how many easy baskets GS got last night in the paint.

And they figured it out last year on a team that really lacked perimeter shooting that Love and Irving give you and only one person that could really attack the rim.  Can they defend the post/offensive boards with somebody the size of Mozgov and the shooting of Irving and Love (or Irving on the drive and lob to Mozgov)?

If Mozgov is healthy, I think I'd give it a try.

(Now, I don't think that even a healthy Mozgov turns the series around, but I do think he makes it closer.  Against, GS I'd rather play a healthy Mozgov than Channing Frye or Richard Jefferson.)

Edited by PeterMP

They'll probably try that at some point. But, again, that more or less turns the game into a 3-point shooting contest.

I would argue that biggest issue for the Cavs this year is the utter disappearance of Lebron's jumper. If you play him with a big, the floor spacing becomes an issue because no one respects him from long-range.

OKC figured out in those last two games that it doesn't matter if you are making a ton of two-pointers if the Warriors are making the same number of 3 pointers.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother