Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

My team is the Sixers. But yesterday's game was decided by the refs and again, I was never all that much into the, "NBA is fixed" movement, but those technicals that stopped the Rockets momentum and gave the Heat free points right when the Rockets were about to take over the game is a little suspicious IMO.

Yeah, it's always easy to see things like that if you are looking for them.   But they really aren't there, IMO.  

Yeah, it's always easy to see things like that if you are looking for them.   But they really aren't there, IMO.  

How do you figure I was looking for things? I watch enough basketball to know you can call a 3 second violation quite often. But they wait until that last 6 minutes in a close game to call one knowing it would give the Heat free points. They got a delay of game technical when it looked like all Howard did was flip the ball back to the ref. Again, in a close game near the end, NOW they want to T him up? There was another T that I forget.

How do you figure I was looking for things? I watch enough basketball to know you can call a 3 second violation quite often. But they wait until that last 6 minutes in a close game to call one knowing it would give the Heat free points. They got a delay of game technical when it looked like all Howard did was flip the ball back to the ref. Again, in a close game near the end, NOW they want to T him up? There was another T that I forget.

Yes, fouls and T's always give a team free points.  You don't know what was said, what precipitated any of this.   So you assume what you want to assume.  

NBA refs aren't perfect and sometimes superstars get calls, but the game's not fixed.  

That delay of game technical was normal. The refs have been enforcing that rule all year. You can't touch the ball at all after your team makes a basket. Not a finger. The only contact they let go is if it bounces off you unintentionally. Otherwise if they see a guy touch it, they call it. First time a warning, every subsequent time is a T. It's probably the easiest and most straightforward call the refs make. There is no discretion about the rule whatsoever. There's no real way to misapply it. The rule is dumb, nevertheless, it's black and white.

But it is a ridiculous penalty.

It's ALWAYS been the rule though. I mean goddamn, I remember 20 years ago playing rec league basketball. My team was built on running. Our coach (my father actually) used to always, before games, tell the refs to pay attention to the delay of game penalties.

Running in basketball equals more points, more points means more highlights, more highlights means more exposure and thus the NBA finally decided to Crack down on it. I don't have a problem with it. It's not like the NFL where nobody is really sure what the **** a legal hit is. Just don't touch the ball purposefully. Pretty easy.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I don't like the new enforcement policy because it's got no room for discretion whatsoever. That just started this season. You shouldn't be penalized for being legit helpful. But you also shouldn't be able to mess around with the ball to cheat the other team out of a quick inbounds like they did before.

I've seen lots of players get whistled for passing the ball to the refs or the inbounder this season when they clearly weren't trying to delay the game.

In an ideal world, the ref would be able to tell a player's intention when they touch the ball. But I'm guessing they can't. The zero contact rule simplifies the calls for the officials specifically to protect the officials. I don't have much of a problem with that in the grand scheme of things.

Jay Williams just said that if Doug Mcdermott were African American the media would be talking about him and he'd be a lottery pick. I've watched him play and I'm not sure I agree because I don't think he has an NBA position.

Jay Williams is wrong.   McDermott is a good college player, but he has Adam Morrison Part 2 written all over him.  Well, perhaps not that.  Jimmer Fredette part 2?  Kyle Korver part 2?  

He has a sweet shot and a high basketball IQ, but he is not athletic and the moves that work so well in college are not going to work as well in the pros, and he is going to be a defensive liability as well.  He will make the rotation on an NBA team and be useful, but he isn't going to be a star.

Jay Williams is wrong.   McDermott is a good college player, but he has Adam Morrison Part 2 written all over him.  Well, perhaps not that.  Jimmer Fredette part 2?  Kyle Korver part 2?  

He has a sweet shot and a high basketball IQ, but he is not athletic and the moves that work so well in college are not going to work as well in the pros, and he is going to be a defensive liability as well.  He will make the rotation on an NBA team and be useful, but he isn't going to be a star.

I doubt McDermott will be a star, but he's a better shooter than Morrison (Morrison was a high volume shooter in college, yeah he could score, but he needed the ball in his hands a lot and needed a lot of shots he wasn't particularly effecient), and he's bigger than Fredette.

The other thing is the lottery is the top 14 picks.  Do you think there are 14 stars in this draft?

I doubt it.

I think McDermott will be a solid player IF he stays healthy.  He won't be a star, but he's got decent size, especially given his ability to shoot.

Yeah, he'll struggle on defense, but he'll find a spot.

I don't think it is that outrageous to suggest that he'll be one of the best 14 players in this draft.

I wouldn't take him top 5 for sure and probably not even a good bit after that given how good this draft is, but if he stays healthy, I wouldn't be shocked if you go back and look at history, most people would conclude that he was a top 14 player in this draft.

Edited by PeterMP

For the first time since 2004, the Denver Nuggets will not be in the playoffs.  Officially out after last night's loss.

Nuggets crap season had nothing to do with the new coach in Brian Shaw, they've been riddled with injuries all year.  Gallinari, Denver's 2nd leading scorer, missed the entire season.  Wilson Chandler was hurt a lot.  Ty Lawson missed 25 games.  Javele Mcgee missed more than 50% of the season.  Hopefully they'll be back to full strength next year.