Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Last year, it was hard to take the field over Miami. I think it's a lot easier to take the field over Miami this season....I don't think they'll win the championship this year.

I think Durant gets his first ring this year. But I could certainly see Duncan getting his last one too. And I could also see Miami pulling it together in the playoffs and going on a run.

OKC is the favorite for me though. Durant is on a mission this year.

SB Nation compiled a nice chart of all the 50 Win seasons in bar graph form... It wouldn't be SB Nation if they didn't take some shots lol

Reminds me of this. Saw it on reddit a few days ago

BkL-aTHCEAAed8V.jpg

Oh and sidenote on why it isn't a perfect 17 for 17 for Duncan on 50-win seasons: Lockout of '99. They only played 50 total games. Duncan and his Spurs went 37-13, 1st in the West.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

That's why they should go by winning percentage instead.

Death.  Taxes.  And the Spurs winning 70% of their games.

San Antonio's franchise history is ridiculous.  **** them.  They come in from the ABA and are immediately successful with Artis Gilmore and George Gervin.  Then they're bad for a hot minute in the early 80's before they get David Robinson.  Have one solitary fluke bad season and get Duncan.  Then the rest is history.

And it's clear they don't rely on Duncan and Manu and Parker to sustain their success now.  That's why the long predicted drop off isn't coming.  They're a superior organization from the top on down to the bottom.  That's their font of greatness.

Utah has a really impressive franchise history too considering.  Their current awfulness post Jerry Sloan is a total anomaly.

The Bucks and 76ers current predicament is sad when you consider their history.  Those teams should have so much more pride.  Their teams this season should be a black mark that they never live down.

• Like 1

I've never seen anyone wear that other than pharrell, but I laughed out loud several times looking at that picture. Thank you for bringing that to my attention hahahahaha

I had the same thought and reaction. Their must have been a party were a drunken challenge was defined and accepted. "Let's see if we can start a new trend by getting people to wear this stupid hat"

Pacers lost again, to the death spiraling Hawks, by 20. I still haven't heard a reasonable explanation for this sudden collapse. Maybe Danny Granger is a witch doctor.

Man, they are a mess.  Bynum factor?  LOL.  But who knows?  They have problems with each other that go beyond playing hoops. 

I know he made 10 but nobody should ever be jacking up 22 threes...ever.

Amare was pissed, and rightfully so.  I know he made 10, but that shot selection was....YUCK.

JR Smith will always be protected as long as he's with CAA.  Knicks are an absolute mess.

Also...let me ask.  Melo, individually, has had a great year.  However, the East is VERY weak.  There have been other guys in the East (in year's past) who have led their teams to the playoffs during a weak conference year.  Once the dust from the season settles, Melo will probably get some heat (no pun). 

Amare was pissed, and rightfully so.  I know he made 10, but that shot selection was....YUCK.

JR Smith will always be protected as long as he's with CAA.  Knicks are an absolute mess.

Also...let me ask.  Melo, individually, has had a great year.  However, the East is VERY weak.  There have been other guys in the East (in year's past) who have led their teams to the playoffs during a weak conference year.  Once the dust from the season settles, Melo will probably get some heat (no pun). 

He's already getting criticized.  The Knicks are pretty much done now that Melo's shoulder is messed up.  You simply can not play good offensive basketball when you've got JR Smith jacking 18-20 threes a game.

This was a nightmare season for the Knicks but the bigger issue runs deeper than injury problems.  First off, they've got a dysfunctional organizational structure that is going to take some time for Phil Jackson to clean up.  If he ever can.

Second, they need to get rid of guys like JR Smith and Andrea Bargnani.  You can't win with dumb players like Smith playing prominent roles and Bargnani is a terrible fit with Melo.

Third, if yoou're going to build a team around Melo, you've got to address his flaws.  You need a major PG IMO.  That's the only way to keep the offense balanced.  And you need defenders everywhere that can keep Melo accountable on D.  Rajon Rondo could transform the Knicks IMO.  But they've got no assets to get him.

The Amar'e boondoggle really sunk them.  They've committed the resources for one of the premium assets in the entire league to him and basically wasted three seasons on him.  Take that Stat money and say they had gotten Chris Paul with it instead.  Could have actually been a rival to the Heat.  Provided they actually got a real coach...

The team is a mess, the coach isn't good, they don't have attractive trade assets.  I don't know how Phil is going to rebuild them.  Especially if he wants to do it around Melo--whose window is closing in the next couple of years.

Great points, Steve.

The main problem with the Knicks is that there is little-to-no flexibility with the roster going forward.  They won't have much cap space until Amare is off the books, and by then Melo will be either 31 or 32.  It's just a really bad situation.  For as great as Melo is at scoring, he's an EXTREMELY flawed player.  He doesn't really have the capability to lead.  I'm not sure who would sign there in NY, seeing that James Dolan and the good folks at CAA still have their hands all over the roster.  It's really, really  bad.  On top of it all, you have young teams like Toronto/Washington, primed to make a big leap with their own development in the next year or two.  That's not even counting teams like Chicago and Miami, with Indy in the mix. 

I think we're seeing the ceiling of this KNicks team with Melo on the roster.  Makes you wonder what his plans are going forward. 

If I were him I'd opt out and leave.  He'd be demonized.  A lot like Dwight was in both LA and Orlando.  But it's not like Dwight really cares about what they say about him in LA now that he's in a good situation in Houston.

I think Melo wants to win.  He wanted to do it on his terms in New York.  That's impossible.  Not unless NY finds a miracle.  Now his best chance is by going to Chicago IMO.  Even if Derrick Rose is never the same, I think adding Melo would put Chicago in a place to contend.  Such an unselfish team.  Such a great defensive team.  And such a great coach.  These are the kinds of pieces you have to put around Melo to cover up his flaws IMO.  I know I'd be scared to play Chicago if Melo were there.  Factor in a healthy Derrick Rose and they could be really scary.

But I don't think Melo's considerations are just going to be about basketball factors.  First I think his wife is going to have a say in his choice.  And second I also think he still wants to get all the perks the Knicks gave him.  Off court considerations could keep him in New York.

Edited by stevemcqueen1