Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

ESPN will have a 30 for 30 on the Bad Boys. It's no doubt that the NBA was a lot better in the 80's than it is today. You could play defense back then and you could be physical. Now the slightest tap is a dive leading to a foul. It's ridiculous. 

Everything was a lot better back in the day where you didn't get anything easy without a little something.

this is funny, there wasnt that much defense played in the 80s. Its one of the great myths.

Defenses today are way better than back then.

Game was more physical, but players were allowed to move. When Riley went to the Knicks, then you saw it become too physical.

• Like 4

right? chill out already...dang. i get the first block...but going out of his way to block the second? goofy.

the crowd laughed at him too when he fell LOL

Have you seen the one where the Denver mascot is shooting a half court shot and he jumps up and grabs it out of the air with both hands? lmao.

ESPN will have a 30 for 30 on the Bad Boys. It's no doubt that the NBA was a lot better in the 80's than it is today. You could play defense back then and you could be physical. Now the slightest tap is a dive leading to a foul. It's ridiculous. 

Everything was a lot better back in the day where you didn't get anything easy without a little something. 

I totally disagree.   The NBA is a lot better now, IMO.   The game was more boring and sloppy in the 80s and the talent was too concentrated on a few teams.

(and I was a fan of the Bad Boys back then, having lived in Michigan at the time)

this is funny, there wasnt that much defense played in the 80s. Its one of the great myths.

Defenses today are way better than back then.

Game was more physical, but players were allowed to move. When Riley went to the Knicks, then you saw it become too physical.

This.   Detroit figured out how to win with defense, but that doesn't mean that the basketball being played back then was very good.   Too many isos, too much grabbing, too little passing (unless you were Magic or Bird).  

Edited by Predicto

Chris Bosh is no clown. That dude can play.

Bosh is so much better than he's been able to show in Miami in terms of stats and people have forgotten. Wade hasn't been able to get healthy but we said the same thing last year and he did enough when needed to help win a title.

Also, as good as Lebron is he is not good enough to carry them to a title by himself.

Edited by Destino

I'm glad the Lakers season is coming to an end. This is the 1st time I have ever seen them this bad. This is some historical stink they displayed this season.

Also this marks the 1st time that there will be no Lakers, Celtics, Knicks or Sixers in the playoffs. I guess there is a 1st for everything.

The Lakers deserved this for giving up so much for Howard. I hated the deal to begin with and this is the end result. I hope they don't get too anxious and snag one of these over-hyped 20 year old guys in this draft. They are a mess right now, I have now real idea how to fix it all.

Chris Bosh is no clown.  That dude can play.

Absolutely.   Bosh is a terrific player who has been willing to subsume his game for the Heat team's needs.  He plays great defense, plays out of position half the time, does all the dirty work, and can score when needed.   Put him on the Warriors, please.  

oh, and we are screwed if Bogut can't play.  The Clippers will destroy us inside.  We would have a better chance against OKC, but that isn't likely to happen.

Edited by Predicto

Yeah, No one player is good enough to get it done by themselves. This has been shown for quite a while.

Shaq, Kobe, Jordan, Robinson, Wilkins, Paul, etc..

Dirk arguably won a title with no real second star. He had Marion, Terry, and some old guy claiming to be Jason Kidd. Sometimes the stars align just right. Sadly the Mavs decided that one year was enough of that model and blew that team up. Looking to get a second star. Now that they signed Howard and are favorites to win a title the wisdom of that plan is evident.

Without Wade and Bosh I don't think the Heat are even seen as likely to make it to the finals.

Edited by Destino

Dirk had plenty of help. No other superstar at that point (besides Kidd), but plenty of good players. They dropped 3's and played minimal defense, but you couldn't stop the inside presence of Chandler and Haywood if you wanted to stop the three-ball.

But even if considered debatable...that is one team in the last...how many years ?

I would debate the recent Pistons had no player that was really a superstar. They were simply a great team.

Edited by Kosher Ham

Dirk arguably won a title with no real second star. He had Marion, Terry, and some old guy claiming to be Jason Kidd. Sometimes the stars align just right. Sadly the Mavs decided that one year was enough of that model and blew that team up. Looking to get a second star. Now that they signed Howard and are favorites to win a title the wisdom of that plan is evident.

Without Wade and Bosh I don't think the Heat are even seen as likely to make it to the finals.

Dirk got a ring that way, but it doesn't happen very often.  Everything fell their way, they won every close game (and you forgot about Tyson Chandler, who was an absolute beast).  The last guy to carry a team to a ring like that was Hakeem, and that was almost 20 years ago.

Bosh is so much better than he's been able to show in Miami in terms of stats and people have forgotten. Wade hasn't been able to get healthy but we said the same thing last year and he did enough when needed to help win a title.

Also, as good as Lebron is he is not good enough to carry them to a title by himself.

Yep.  I agree with everything you said, and disagree with everything that quote said.

The Lakers deserved this for giving up so much for Howard. I hated the deal to begin with and this is the end result. I hope they don't get too anxious and snag one of these over-hyped 20 year old guys in this draft. They are a mess right now, I have now real idea how to fix it all.

You need a couple of bad seasons and some lottery picks. Unfortunately, when they traded for Nash, they don't have one next season.

Also, my opinion, they need to come out and tell kids that they need to be removed 2 years from H.S. If you want to make the jump into the league, then develop the D-League into a true minor league like it's supposed to be and make them stay for 3 years. For every Derrick Rose, there will be a Lenny Cooke and Sebastain Telfair. For every Lebron James and Kobe Bryant, you will have a Shawn Livingston and Erik Barkley. It's time to develop your product better, and I think Silver is the guy to do it.

That was before D'Antoni, remember Brown was there and he was fired and that's when they hired D'Antoni. But it will all be moot, hence Mitch Kupchak receiving the extension. Should have seen some of his reactions when they gave up over 400 points(that stretch when they lost to the Clips by almost 50). I bet he wanted to fire him right then and there. it's all a mess, and they should have done a sign and trade with Houston last offseason. Its a mess right now, and to be honest, I don't see them winning anytime soon.

Dirk got a ring that way, but it doesn't happen very often.  Everything fell their way, they won every close game (and you forgot about Tyson Chandler, who was an absolute beast).  The last guy to carry a team to a ring like that was Hakeem, and that was almost 20 years ago.

Dirk carried that Mavs team to a ring on his back.  It wasn't about everything falling their way, they had to go through a gauntlet to win the ring and they did.  Beat a tough Portland team that a lot of people actually favored.  Ended the Lakers dynasty.  Beat a heavily favored dynasty Heat team, and beat a loaded OKC team that breezed to the finals the next year.  And they won the close games because Dirk was unbelievably clutch, got to the line an incredible amount and shot like 99%.  His was one of the greatest individual postseason performances in NBA history.

That Mavs team was even less talented and more washed up than Hakeem's teams.  It was a 2003 All Star team in 2011.  An Island of Misfit Toys.  Nobody else wanted Marion or Carter or Kidd.  Jason Terry and JJ Barea both fell of the face of the Earth the moment he left.  They got Tyson Chandler for a song from Charlotte.  He's not a beast, and nobody thought he was special until he ended up in Dallas and got a ring.  He's a journeyman and a role player.  Everyone around Dirk was a role player, almost all of them well past their primes.  The Mavs won the title that year because Dirk was the best player in the NBA that postseason and nobody could stop him and a masterfully coached team of low cost role players did their jobs well enough for Dirk to carry them.

Hakeem certainly carried his teams to those two rings, he suddenly became the best player in the NBA for the two years Jordan was gone.  But he had more quality teammates--Otis Thorpe, Vernon Maxwell, Kenny Smith, Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, and a Clyde Drexler who was still a great player for the second one.  I'd take them over what Dirk played with.

• Like 1

Dirk had plenty of help. No other superstar at that point (besides Kidd), but plenty of good players. They dropped 3's and played minimal defense, but you couldn't stop the inside presence of Chandler and Haywood if you wanted to stop the three-ball.

But even if considered debatable...that is one team in the last...how many years ?

I would debate the recent Pistons had no player that was really a superstar. They were simply a great team.

Brendan Haywood wasn't anything but a six hard fouls guy that season and Chandler wasn't an inside scoring threat.  He's never been that.  The most he does is catch the ball at the rim and finish.  He was athletic, but he needed others to create his looks.

That team didn't really scare anyone and nobody expected them to win the title.  They weren't a popular favorite in any series that postseason.  Not even against a lower seeded Blazers team.

They went on that run because Dirk played at a transcendent level and they'd get just enough night to night from guys who weren't terribly good.  Dirk was the one who was unstoppable.

Transcendent 7 footer remains the only player that can carry a team of role players to a ring.