Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I hate him.

Always wanted to check out that book though. Only negative I've heard is how much he's on the Celtics sack in it.

DUDE....

He blows the Celtics really hard. It can be very grating but the rest is great.

He murders Kareem and Wilt in it to prove his point of Russell's superiority. It's obnoxious but convincing 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

L-O-L

Has anyone seen the Raptors playoff vid with Drake?? Cheesy **** ever

Also, I was thinking the other day. The NBA is really in a great period right now. I've always been a fan of the league but it was my fourth favorite sport for years after I turned 10 or 11 (cuz I sucked at it in real life despite being black and I barely even followed anything NBA related a few years ago outside of catching the Wizards play because my uncles had season tickets and I didn't know how to stream Bulls games lol)...in the last few years I've really gotten back into the league as whole.

So many great talents despite the dominance by one or two squads recently.

I really wonder what the sports landscape is going to look like in 20 years. Saw something recently about the popularity of the four leagues and age groups. The NFL dominates all obviously but the NBA dominates the youngsters. I really think the NFL is gonna fall off. So where are the fans (and more importantly the talent) going to go? Personally I'd love to see baseball make a comeback.

I really wonder what the sports landscape is going to look like in 20 years. Saw something recently about the popularity of the four leagues and age groups. The NFL dominates all obviously but the NBA dominates the youngsters. I really think the NFL is gonna fall off. So where are the fans (and more importantly the talent) going to go? Personally I'd love to see baseball make a comeback.

Honestly NBA may be headed to the top. I read something that said basketball is now number 2 behind soccer in overall popularity. With all the head trauma stuff in football and cost of baseball (my 16th birthday present was a 260 dollar bat, which was one of the least expensive ones used on my team), basketball is gonna keep bringing in the best young stars

Excellent point about the cost of baseball. That's a huge issue.

And another thing that no one wants to talk about is the fact that baseball and the MLB really do not appeal to the young black youth like in the 60s and 70s. Baseball players aren't the ones in the clubs with Drake and the like. NBA'ers are. NFL'ers are.

I'm black. Baseball is my favorite sport. I have not met anyone like me in all of my 21 years lol

Was JUST reading about that very thing.

Are Fewer Black Baseball Players A Sign Of Progress?

APR 18 2014 @ 7:02PM

Marking Jackie Robinson Day earlier this week, Matt Welch attributes the declining percentage of black baseball players in recent years to the expansion of opportunities for black men elsewhere:

Baseball, ahead of other professions, and ahead of other sports, allowed people with black skin to compete. Combined with the deep bench of talent that had been nurtured in the Negro Leagues, this opening led to black participation rates that quickly zoomed north of U.S. Census figures (which these days put the African-American population at 12.6 percent). But as other professional sports opened up and—importantly—became popular, black Americans started picking up the shoulder pads and lacing up the high-tops. Happiest of all, black kids in school nowadays know they are not doomed to max out as porters or bellhops. That doesn’t mean racism is behind us in the workplace, but it does mean that fields of competition in all walks of life have opened up in ways that even optimists would have found difficult to believe in 1964.

Meanwhile, actual “diversity” in baseball has never been higher. More than 26 percent of big-league baseball players were born outside of the United States, across 16 different countries.

Kavitha Davidson pushes back a bit:

He’s not necessarily wrong: Professional football and basketball, both in their infancy in 1947, have supplanted baseball as the primary destination for elite black athletes. But the percentage of black players in the National Football League and the National Basketball Association has been relatively stable over the past 25 years, while representation in MLB has steadily declined.

The problems baseball faces mirror many of the problems hockey encounters in fostering diversity: The equipment and travel are relatively expensive (especially when compared with basketball), and most big cities that have concentrated black populations don’t have the space or resources for sufficient public baseball fields.

There’s also the economics of higher education and the invisible hand of the NCAA: As on the professional level, college football and basketball are now booming businesses, while college baseball is a nonrevenue sport in the vast majority of schools.

Links to the various articles at the link...

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/04/18/are-fewer-black-baseball-players-a-sign-of-progress/

Simmons doesn't murder Kareem. And he respects Magic and puts him over Bird.

He truth tells about Wilt. Wilt was a loser. Simmons didn't make up all those quotes where Wilt's contemporaries trashed him. The people that knew Wilt and actually watched him knew he was a loser and that Russell owned him.

Simmons doesn't murder Kareem. And he respects Magic and puts him over Bird.

He truth tells about Wilt. Wilt was a loser. Simmons didn't make up all those quotes where Wilt's contemporaries trashed him. The people that knew Wilt and actually watched him knew he was a loser and that Russell owned him.

I met the jokes he made about Kareem throughout lol

But yeah Wilt was just like that guy that wanted to have fun. Russell was the crazy dude that took everything as life and death. In pro sports, I want the crazy dude lol

Before the season started, a poll suggested that the Miami Heat were the overwhelming favorite to win the NBA title, collecting a whopping 76 percent of ballots cast.

The voters weren't some know-nothings, either.

No, this was a polling of NBA general managers.

Things seem quite a bit different now. The Heat don't seem like locks for a third straight title anymore. San Antonio and Indiana are top seeds. Brooklyn, Chicago, the Los Angeles Clippers, Oklahoma City, Golden State, Houston, Portland and the Heat all figure to have a legitimate chance at being the club to hoist the Larry O'Brien Trophy in a couple of months.

Usually, the NBA playoffs aren't so wide open. Things might change over the next couple of months.

"There are 16 teams that have a chance to win it," said Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks, whose team is seeded No. 2 in the West. "If you're in the playoffs, you have a chance. There are some good teams. Any team can beat each other. The West is deep. There are two teams that are really good that didn't make it and had great years. It's definitely open. There's a lot of good basketball teams that are fighting for the championship." 

----------------------------------------------------------------

Startling to see this notion of it being a wide open playoff this year

We all know the Heat will win the East again so don't tease with this 
Edited by ixcuincle

I never understood why the D-league isn't used like a hockey or MLB minor league team. Keep the prospects there for more training. 

The biggest problem with the NBA is agents and yes men telling kids they are good enough to go pro after a year. It's hard to excel in your first year in the NBA as a rookie, especially when you're 18 or 19 years old, and fresh after a year of college. MCW can do it, but he's rare. 

For me, it should be two and done, but Silver's alleged plan to implement the D-League more in player development is also good too. You should just be able to call up a player from D-League, send a player down, just like a MLB and NHL team.

Honestly NBA may be headed to the top. I read something that said basketball is now number 2 behind soccer in overall popularity. With all the head trauma stuff in football and cost of baseball (my 16th birthday present was a 260 dollar bat, which was one of the least expensive ones used on my team), basketball is gonna keep bringing in the best young stars

The NBA will never supplant the NFL, imo. Not with gambling and fantasy FB such a huge part of the NFL's popularity. Plus the NBA is mainly marketed to a specific segment of society (hip-hop generation).

John Wall is a streak shooter at best Predicto. Destino covered it pretty well. He had no confidence in his jumper before the last year and a half or so. Didn't even shoot threes.

Wall was told not to take 3 pointers. I know I read that somewhere. He took a lot his rookie year and then stopped.

https://twitter.com/ESPNCBB/status/457257190576099329

NBA commissioner Adam Silver's top priority, pushing back the league's age minimum to 20: http://t.co/Msd2mGMsDm

absolute horse crap. The quality of the league is not going down because of 18 and 19 year olds. Its going down because the game is not being taught right to 8-14 year olds. Thats real talk.

DUDE....

He blows the Celtics really hard. It can be very grating but the rest is great.

He murders Kareem and Wilt in it to prove his point of Russell's superiority. It's obnoxious but convincing

I hate him.

Always wanted to check out that book though. Only negative I've heard is how much he's on the Celtics sack in it.

He's an obnoxious Celtics homer. You cannot take his views serious.

In that Bad Boys Remix special they had after the Bad Boys 30 for 30, he said the 1986 Celtics were the best team of all time, followed by the 87 Lakers, 96 Bulls, and 89 Pistons. Thats fair. His reasoning for putting the Pistons on the list was because they repeated the next season, and he uses that as a heavy factor. He specifically used that to dismiss the 83 Sixers who were probably the best team in the 80s. Guess who did not repeat in his list? The 1986 Celtics. He is full of it, lol

Simmons is just a super fan who got lucky to be in the right circles. I do not take his views on basketball serious at all, and it grates me when people look at his word as the basketball gospel.

I never understood why the D-league isn't used like a hockey or MLB minor league team. Keep the prospects there for more training. 

The biggest problem with the NBA is agents and yes men telling kids they are good enough to go pro after a year. It's hard to excel in your first year in the NBA as a rookie, especially when you're 18 or 19 years old, and fresh after a year of college. MCW can do it, but he's rare. 

For me, it should be two and done, but Silver's alleged plan to implement the D-League more in player development is also good too. You should just be able to call up a player from D-League, send a player down, just like a MLB and NHL team.

2 and done is a stupid rule. It should be if you are 18 you can go if you are good enough. Just like everything else in the world. Its un-American to force people to work for free. There is no data that suggests that age precludes a player from being great. The closest we had was that article by David Aldrige a few years ago where he showed that there was great success among the HS players and one and done players.

http://www.nba.sg/2012/news/features/david_aldridge/04/09/morning-tip-nba-draft-age-limit-debate/index.html

Its a money grab by the NBA owners, and nothing else. There was a great article in Grantland by Bill Simmons (he is good at stuff like this and interviews, not so much bball analysis) about how being an NBA owner is the most exclusive club in the world and the depressed salaries and age limits help make it a great gig.

http://grantland.com/features/the-worlds-most-exclusive-club/

And no one watches the D-League or goes to the games so that is a nonstarter.

No one goes to the D-League but it doesn't matter because the lads can get experience there like a minor league system. Call a kid up and if he's struggling take him down. Just like baseball and hockey. I fail to see why this isn't used.