Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Toronto?  They're no better than Indy or Chicago assuming Rose comes back 80% of what he was even.

I feel for Rose but I don't like his odds.  He didn't look like himself last season before he blew out his second knee.  

LOL

Dude...come on.

If you take away Jordan and Unseld (since you want to take away stars), the Bulls are a better franchise.

That post was asinine as hell. Bullets' two best year occurred in the poorest era in the NBA.

We would have loved the merger era. It was the last time the NBA had real parity and was highly competitive with a bunch of great teams and interesting stars. It's what NBA fans today hope for moving forward. You have titles from Golden State, Portland, Seattle, Washington, Milwaukee, LA, Boston, and New York.

Watching the same three to four teams win all of the championships in a 15 to 20 year span is BORING.

For me the worst era of the NBA outside the early 50's was the ISO ball era of the late 90's and early 2000's. The NBA expanded too much and a whole bunch of draft busts and injuries to a generation of stars wiped out too much of the talent level of the league team by team. The result was crappy basketball until the talent level was sufficiently buttressed by the establishment of international pipelines and rule changes that caused the floor to open up.

• Like 2

I agree with steve.

What was the stat like something like only 6 teams or something had won the title in the last 20 years at some point or something like that. Thats pretty lopsided. Dynastys are special and all but we need teams to go up and down more often imo. Makes the NFL so great.

I agree that parity is cool but that era was filled with coked out players (SI ran a feature during that time that said insiders thought that 80% of the league was using back then) and ****ty teams overall. Finals games were actually aired on tape delays. The on court product wasn't good. Sure a lot of teams won but it was because no team was good enough (sober enough?) to put it all together.

The 50s and 60s had better ball going on than that era.

I agree with Steve as well.  That super team ball was great for "fans of great basketball" or whatever front runners like to call themselves.  For the fans of NBA teams, the long suffering types that follow teams that know it's a lost cause before the tip of game one, parity is better.  These are the fans the league needs if they want arenas filled and ratings higher during the regular season.  The front runners will show up to watch Lebron and KD in the playoffs.  People can call it watered down, but that's the same garbage we heard about the NFL with caps and expansion teams, but it's now the king of American sports.  Every year most fans feel like they might be that surprise team that comes out of nowhere, because every year there is one.    

The more parity the NBA can force on players and owners the more the league will grow.    

I agree with steve.

What was the stat like something like only 6 teams or something had won the title in the last 20 years at some point or something like that. Thats pretty lopsided. Dynastys are special and all but we need teams to go up and down more often imo. Makes the NFL so great.

Just for a parity comparison.

Since 1984, 8 teams have won an NBA Finals

Since 1999, 11 teams have won a Stanley Cup

Since 1999, 11 teams have won a Super Bowl

Since 2000, 9 teams have won a World Series

The NBA needs to catch up in parity. 

I feel for Rose but I don't like his odds.  He didn't look like himself last season before he blew out his second knee.  

He won't be close to as good as he was, but he'll still be a good player.  But his days as a star are done indeed.

A league is best off when almost every team has multiple legit good players and the really really good teams actually have to work to make playoff runs. It makes championships more meaningful.

And the league is definitely better off when every team has a real chance to keep their great players. Hope the league keeps going the direction of more parity and more star player stability.

• Like 1

I appreciate you looking out for your friend like that. Hopefully he appreciates you for it as well. Everyone should have a friend like that. :)

He's not been banned. He has simply been put on Read Only. For how long, well as I said to him in his warning when I had to yank him out of the pool, it's simply up to him. He's been here about 8 years now. I'd like to see that continue. :)

This is good to hear. I like Mr. SInister, and all that nonsense aside, I've enjoyed his posts immensely and I feel The Tailgate is diminished without him. Hope he works out his issues and can continue posting soon. 

Edited by Gamebreaker

In the last 30 seasons, 8 teams have won the title:

Celtics - 2

Lakers - 8

Pistons - 3

Bulls - 6

Rockets* - 2

Spurs - 5

Heat - 3

Mavericks - 1

And that's it.

Throw an * on Houston cause of MJ' s retirement

I always start at 1980. That seems about the time when parity went out the window. 9, including the 1983 76ers. Nine in 35 years. I'll have some stats at a later time to piggy back off this. I was holding on to them until the offseason.

The Nats and Wizards matter more to me now than the Skins too.

All three sports are great. If anything, football might be my favorite to watch. The difference is my disgust with the NFL and my total lack of faith in Dan Snyder.

Suprising.  I would have pegged basketball as your #1 sport as you post in here the most and in the Wizards thread.

If you are disguested with the NFL, I don't know how you can't be twice as digusted with the way the NBA has been scripted...er run in the last 35 years.

Snyder? WTH has Leonsis done?  I couldn't wait until Pollin was gone, now I almost want to resurrect him from the dead.

I have infinitely more confidence in Leonsis than Snyder. They aren't even comparable in my mind. And Ernie Grunfeld isn't even one of the worst GMs in the NBA, much less in sports.

Right now, the edge goes to Snyder IMO. He cares about the team, but didn't (doesn't) know how to run it properly.  Leonsis only cares about himself, his popularity and his blog. Grunfeld isn't the worst.  He should be named the new 50/50. 

I've been off-line since Thursday. Did I miss anything?

What is going on with the Hornets?

We would have loved the merger era. It was the last time the NBA had real parity and was highly competitive with a bunch of great teams and interesting stars. It's what NBA fans today hope for moving forward. You have titles from Golden State, Portland, Seattle, Washington, Milwaukee, LA, Boston, and New York.

And the league was showing its Finals on tape delay.

I honestly don't know how you have parity in basketball. Lebron on any team is going to win 55+ games and will probably make the conference finals. Same with Durant. How do you counteract that?

You really can't.

My earlier point was simple. That era had so much parity because all the players were sneezing cocaine and the product wasn't good at all.

Yeah a title is title but that era was extremely weak.

The mid to late 70s were interesting but nothing anyone wants to repeat.

To repeat that, you would need to form a new league that immediately steals about 11 current all-stars and another 40 really good players. If that happens and the Wizards keep Wall and Beal, they are suddenly a real contender, right?

Right now, the edge goes to Snyder IMO. He cares about the team, but didn't (doesn't) know how to run it properly.

I need to learn this trick of making incompetence and repeated failure look like caring and a willingness to try hard. The only thing Snyder has ever done for the Redskins is fail them. His plans seem to last 3 years on average before they collapse beneath the weight of their own stupidity.

• Like 1

And you made a good point. How do you stop a LBJ or a KD driven team from winning nearly 60 games a year and at least making the conference finals?

You really can't.

The reason that we have (which is an assumption btw) parity now is because of LBJ making the decision to load up with Heat then disperse a few years later

And you made a good point. How do you stop a LBJ or a KD driven team from winning nearly 60 games a year and at least making the conference finals?

You really can't.

The reason that we have (which is an assumption btw) parity now is because of LBJ making the decision to load up with Heat then disperse a few years later

KD has made the finals once. How many times did Lebron make the finals before convincing two stars to take paycuts? Parity isn't determined by one teams presence in the conference finals.

A strong salary cap/tax and spreads out talent. Houston is only relevant because OKC couldn't afford to keep Harden. Dallas added Parsons because Houston couldn't afford to keep him. Talented players still in their primes move because of the current CBA. They wouldn't otherwise and the league would have less good teams.