Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

3 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Have you watched the games?

Brown's done a good job.  He made the adjustment to have Simmons guard Leonard and not Butler.  He's made the adjustment to not switch everything so that people can't isolate on Reddick.  He's made the adjustment to have Simmons not initiate the offense (going mostly to Butler).

He's made multiple strategic changes in the playoffs and most of them have worked.

Harris had a pretty good game last night, but mostly he's been bad and missing open 3's.  Simmons is a non-factor offensively, which isn't surprising, but I've not heard anybody suggest some way to make him more of a factor.  And whether is injury (knee tendinitis), illness, or something else, Embiid has been bad.

What do you want Brown to do?  Is there any correction that you see that Brown can make that he hasn't made?  It isn't like he can turn Ben Simmons into a shooter, have Harris start making shots he normally makes, or make Embiid healthy.

i hope the raps win #WeTheNorth 

57 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But things could quickly go off the rails if Embiid can't get and stay healthier and/or the culture of me and the all-to common fixation with bull**** NBA celebrity/branding/hierarchy sets into their locker room.

Embiid's got to focus on winning a championship (not MVP, not DPOY) and over all mature and do so relatively quickly.

They have to figure out what they are going to do with Butler and Harris.  Before the playoffs, I would have said keep Harris and let Butler leave and use the money to bring in more help.  But I'm not at all sure about that now.  Butler's game seems more playoff ready than Harris', and I think Butler has the attitude and personality to actually work on his game so that he'll age reasonably well.

It would also help them if Zhaire Smith (16th pick in the draft) or some of the other young guys they have the team develop into good players.

The issue with their bench actually appears to be over rated.  Until last game, their bench actually was better than Toronto's bench.

9 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

i hope the raps win #WeTheNorth 

The Raptors might win, but that's not a statement about Brown's coaching.  It isn't uncommon for teams with the best player to win in the NBA.  And Leonard right now and clearly is the best player on the floor.  With the advantage they have in Leonard, the Raptors should win.  There's nobody on the Sixers that is nearly as good, and in the NBA playoffs where you tighten rotations and run so much through your best player, it won't be surprising if the team with the best player wins.

The only way you fire Brown is if you think you need to do that to get the attention of the players.  WIth Embiid's supposed diet and injury issues and Simmons seemingly inability to become even a reasonable ft shooter (not even 3 points, just making free throws), it isn't unreasonable to ask if the players aren't too comfortable and that firing Brown might send a message.  Though, I don't think that's really the coach in today's NBA.  I think that's on the upper management and the organizational structure.  If the Sixers haven't had Embiid talking to a nutritionist and exercise people about his weight and stamina and how that affect his body, that's on them as an organization.

The story on Simmons now is that he good shoot in High School, and his shooting issues are mental.  If the Sixers haven't watched tape on him in High School and seen if he's gone backwards and considered a component of his issues are mental, I'm don't think that's on the coach vs. the whole organizational structure.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

I mean... We the North would sound tough, if it was somewhere like Calgary and not Toronto...

Fear the deer does sound lame though. Deer are stupid, yet cute, cuddly creatures, like Bambi and Rudolph. If I fear anything it's that I might have to put my car in the shop after hitting one of their gump asses.

I don't get why anyone would give Kyrie a max contract. I guess maybe LA if Lebron wants to sign him but Boston is better without him and pre-Lebron he never made Cleveland any better. 

8 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Brown making Simmons stop playing pg is a terrible move. Simmons has no idea how to play without being the ball handler. You want him to post up and shoot? 

I'm sorry, but you're wrong.  You are only looking at one person. 

For example, in the playoffs with Butler as the pick and roll ball handler, they score 0.87 points per a possession.  When Simmons is the ball handler, it is 0.79.  And as part of that Butler has a much lower turnover frequency (11.3% vs. 26.3%), which of course have a tendency to lead to easy points the other way).  (Think about that.  In the playoffs, over 1/4 of the time the Sixers have tried to run pick and roll with Simmons as the ball handler it has turned into a TO.)

Realistically, if you put Simmons in the pick and roll and the defense is at all decent, everybody knows there is a very small chance he's going to shoot the ball.  Even if he has space and starts towards the rim everybody knows he's looking to pass. And it is very difficult to run an offense in the modern NBA where you can't run pick and roll (well). 

The stats backup they do better with Butler with the ball, and then reasonably, especially early in the series, when Simmons was being guard primarily by Leonard, they would have done even worse.

Though, I will say now that the Raptors have made the adjustment and mostly switched and put Leonard on Butler, it might make sense to put the ball back in Simmon's hands.  Even defenders, I think they are better off with it in Butler's hands, but I'm not sure that's the case with the superior defender on Butler.  The other thing I might try is to have Simmons pick for Butler, and see if you can force a switch to get Butler away from Leonard.  We'll see if Brown can make that adjustment.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Fear the deer does sound lame though. Deer are stupid, yet cute, cuddly creatures, like Bambi and Rudolph. If I fear anything it's that I might have to put my car in the shop after hitting one of their gump asses.

I feel like ya'll talking about Does.  I wouldn't run up on anything full-grown with antlers and open-hand smack it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I feel like ya'll talking about Does.  I wouldn't run up on anything full-grown with antlers and open-hand smack it.

Maybe not in the country, and during mating season, possibly. They get a little screwy around here.

I'll still **** one up with my air rifle though...

Ouch

9 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'll still **** one up with my air rifle though...

Don't come round here trippin while I'm just trying to get some tail, Sin.  Force you to put some respeck on my name and house.

Related image

Charles is right, I don't feel like watching this game if the Celtics don't feel like playing it.

• Like 1

Is anyone elses TNT feed ****ed up?  I'm on FIOS in Rockville and it's been crappy since the game started.  It keeps stuttering, freezing, getting all blocky.  I thought after Survivor was over it would be fine but nope, still all ****ed up.  Basically unwatchable.

Non HD channel is the same.