Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Advantage Campbell? Weeden reportedly outplayed at OTAs

I feel bad for Browns fans.

Jason Campbell reportedly outplays Weeden at OTAs

[*] By Marc Sessler

[*]Around the League Writer

[*] Published: May 17, 2013 at 01:34 p.m.

[*] Updated: May 17, 2013 at 02:10 p.m.

The quarterback battle in Cleveland is far from the NFL's sexiest signal-caller derby, but Brandon Weeden might want to keep an eye on Jason Campbell.

Longtime Browns writer Steve Doerschuk of The Canton Repository reported this week that Campbell showed up to organized team activities with "(Ben) Roethlisberger-like size."

"Campbell's clearly bigger than Brandon Weeden. He made (third-string passer) Thaddeus Lewis look like a shrimp," wrote Doerschuk, who added that the seven-year veteran passer "definitely had better sessions than Weeden" on Thursday. Campbell displayed a strong, deep ball on long strikes to receivers Travis Benjamin and Jordan Norwood.

Weeden -- at 6-foot-3, 220 pounds -- opened OTAs with the first team, but Campbell -- listed at 6-foot-5, 230 -- was signed as insurance with an opportunity to fight for the job. The Browns also inked Brian Hoyer on Thursday, which means Lewis (aka "shrimp") is on thin ice.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000203104/article/jason-campbell-reportedly-outplays-weeden-at-otas

They just signed Hoyer, who their new GM loves.

Campbell has always looked in practice.

It's games when he becomes the checkdown king.

Is what he is at this point.

Also, the video linked to the article is all about Weeden playing well.

I was happy for Campbell when he got to step in for Cutler. I was hoping that he was going to show something, but he had an awful game. Held on to the ball too long, as usual, and took a few sacks. He definitely didnt have help, but Im just not sure if he has it in him to make things happen. I would love to see him succeed though.

This reminds me of all those pieces about Campbell during the offseason that made us so hopeful. Why is it so hard for some guys to translate their practices to game day? Amazing how much nerves and pressure can have an affect on one's performance.

This might be the perfect situation for JC. As horrible as he is as a HC, Norv Turner is probably one of the best OC's in my lifetime. He's also great at getting the best from his quarterbacks.

Norv likes his QB to throw the ball down the field - he likes to run it and then use a vertical passing game. Neither Weedon or Campbell seem willing to pull the trigger on those kind of down field throws. Could be a long year in Cleveland with either guy at QB and until they get a QB who fits what Norv does - because we know he believes what he does works, right!

---------- Post added May-18th-2013 at 01:09 PM ----------

This reminds me of all those pieces about Campbell during the offseason that made us so hopeful. Why is it so hard for some guys to translate their practices to game day? Amazing how much nerves and pressure can have an affect on one's performance.

It's one thing anticipating the coverage and humming it in on a dig route in 7 on 7 quite another doing it when the lights are on and they are keeping score. Such a lot of sports is played between the ears.

Norv likes his QB to throw the ball down the field - he likes to run it and then use a vertical passing game. Neither Weedon or Campbell seem willing to pull the trigger on those kind of down field throws. Could be a long year in Cleveland with either guy at QB and until they get a QB who fits what Norv does - because we know he believes what he does works, right!

See Alex Smith the season Norv was the OC for the 49ers. He had his only good season until Harbough became the HC. Smith has one of the worst arms in the NFL. Norv can make a QB look good. He just isn't a good Head Coach.

It's one thing anticipating the coverage and humming it in on a dig route in 7 on 7 quite another doing it when the lights are on and they are keeping score. Such a lot of sports is played between the ears.

Oh, believe me, I know... but if you get to the pros and you have the talent, don't you think that at some point the nerves and pressure should be diminished from the amount of practice and repetitions one goes through? I guess it's just super hard for some guys to block all of that out and just focus on what they've practiced a million times over. I find the science of it very interesting.

The saddest part about all this for Cleveland is that while they fret over dealing with QBs like Campbell and Weeden, they have to be thinking in the back of their minds that they could've had RG3.

However, their front office at the time were no gamblers, and too stingy (lucky for us :) ).

He's going into a perfect situation for him: strong running game, strong defense. He won't set the world on fire (obvious stuff here), but he should keep the browns in contention...

Strong running game? They were one of the worst last year. Also, aren't they switching back to the 3-4 or is that still up in the air?

maybe because the receiver is actually playing against someone who wants to stop them from catching the ball

Maybe, just maybe translating from practice to the game is effected by the quality of the team?

It quite a lot of roster purging to get from that team to our current team.

You know having Levi Jones and Stephon Heyer as booked OTs, having Quinton Ganther as the RB and having Santana Moss as the only viable receiving option being coached by Jim Zorn and Sherman Lewis makes it a little difficult to QB some hi-flying offense and rack up a bunch on wins.

Maybe, just maybe translating from practice to the game is effected by the quality of the team?

It quite a lot of roster purging to get from that team to our current team.

You know having Levi Jones and Stephon Heyer as booked OTs, having Quinton Ganther as the RB and having Santana Moss as the only viable receiving option being coached by Jim Zorn and Sherman Lewis makes it a little difficult to QB some hi-flying offense and rack up a bunch on wins.

K. So what about a team that can win 10 games with Jay Cutler, has Matt Forte at RB, and a real HC in Lovie Smith?

I really don't care about Campbell, mostly because outside of a good 1/2 season in Oakland while Bush was tearing it up JC hasn't done anything in the NFL, so he registers almost nothing on my radar. But he's not a good QB. Decent? Maybe. But please let's not go back down the road of "If only every player on offense was a future HOFer then Campbell could've led us to the playoffs every year!"

See Alex Smith the season Norv was the OC for the 49ers. He had his only good season until Harbough became the HC. Smith has one of the worst arms in the NFL. Norv can make a QB look good. He just isn't a good Head Coach.

It's not really a question of arm strength - though that helps - its the willingness to make the downfield throw when that's what the coverage gives you rather than constantly go to the short read or check down.

Archived