Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Advantage Campbell? Weeden reportedly outplayed at OTAs

More dismissing debate by claiming everything said is a strawman by Campbell supporters. Yawn.

No one claimed that Campbell had turned the corner. No one here exhibited any "blind support" of him. None of the posts from Campbell critics attempted to "debate" anything (well Ghost of Nibbs did, but that wasn't about the Cincy game. This post isn't directed at him). As poor as his performance was last week, his team still put up 20 points, which is more than Weeden EVER put up this year. So much for "making Weeden blush."

No one claimed that Campbell had turned the corner. No one here exhibited any "blind support" of him. None of the posts from Campbell critics attempted to "debate" anything (well Ghost of Nibbs did, but that wasn't about the Cincy game. This post isn't directed at him). As poor as his performance was last week, his team still put up 20 points, which is more than Weeden EVER put up this year. So much for "making Weeden blush."

Nobody denies Campbell is better than Weeden.

I look at Campbell like this. Take an 8 game sample. He'll have 1 spectacular game, 3 above average to average games and then 4 below average games. That's what he does. That's what he did here, in Oakland and now Cleveland. He's not terrible. But he'll never be a guy you want to give the keys to the franchise to. And that's Ok, because many guys have made good, long careers like that.

• 3 months later...

Nobody denies Campbell is better than Weeden.

I look at Campbell like this. Take an 8 game sample. He'll have 1 spectacular game, 3 above average to average games and then 4 below average games. That's what he does. That's what he did here, in Oakland and now Cleveland. He's not terrible. But he'll never be a guy you want to give the keys to the franchise to. And that's Ok, because many guys have made good, long careers like that.

Yep, I'm good with that, I'm at peace with that.  I was a staunch "JC is more than a back up" guy, but I'm done with that. He's a decent, admirable quarterback, but not a starter.  

i still think we screwed the kid up, I think with decent development he could have had a Hassleback or even Mark Brunell type of career. 

The Browns, with Kyle Shanahan in place as OC, makes a ton of sense as a landing spot for Rex Grossman. I would not be at all surprised to see that happen. And Rex might get some real playing time there.

Rex has zero chance at starting anywhere.

Yep, I'm good with that, I'm at peace with that. I was a staunch "JC is more than a back up" guy, but I'm done with that. He's a decent, admirable quarterback, but not a starter.

i still think we screwed the kid up, I think with decent development he could have had a Hassleback or even Mark Brunell type of career.

No way. Campbell is garbage.

In the last 5 years, no less than 11 guys have started at QB for the Browns.  They're not exactly set at the position.  They won't sign Schaub AND Grossman.  Hoyer is on the mend.  They may not want to start their top draft pick right away.  Rex's buddy Kyle is OC.

Put it this way.  If Rex wants to go someplace where he has a chance for real playing time, what better situation is there for him than Cleveland right now?

I'm starting to feel sorry for the Campbell Defense Squad. Maybe he'll prove the Agenda Boyz wrong at his next destination. You just have to believe! Don't stop believing, CDS!

maybe there'd be less defenders if people would stop sounding so damn happy that he failed.  Plus I find the way fans talk about players on the net to be very annoying.  It's like there's Hall of Famers and there's people who are an insult to the game of football.  

Journeyman. That's his label now and those that supported him cannot argue that at this point.

and I won't.  I just don't see a journeyman as a bad thing.  Doug Williams was one and won us a Super Bowl.  Jay Schroeder turned out to be one but before that he got us to an NFC championship game.  Hell, Mark Rypien was probably one.  He stuck around for few different teams after he left the Skins

Archived