Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cicadas coming to land on you soon??!???

HtownRocks111

WTF, I am terrified by these things. Lived in Houston for a few years and had problems because the tree that overhung my doorstep was like a free buffet for them. I've heard of the 17 year cicada but I didn't think much of it since I literally SEE THEM every year. How bad are the 17 year ones? I'm so scared I may take a 2 month vacation out of state.

http://www.weather.com/news/science/nature/billions-of-cicadas-return-20130506 (Don't know how to imbed this video)

WTF, I am terrified by these things. Lived in Houston for a few years and had problems because the tree that overhung my doorstep was like a free buffet for them. I've heard of the 17 year cicada but I didn't think much of it since I literally SEE THEM every year. How bad are the 17 year ones? I'm so scared I may take a 2 month vacation out of state.

http://www.weather.com/news/science/nature/billions-of-cicadas-return-20130506 (Don't know how to imbed this video)

I don't think these are as bad as some others. The ones that I remember being the worst were about 25 years ago, so i assume we've had them again. I think these are going to be only moderately annoying.

I remember back in what was it 2004 when they hit Washington, the amount is staggering. Insane. This is Brood II though which is nowhere near as big as Brood X which hit in 2004.

Oh man, yeah, I remember the 2004 cicadas landing in people's hair and everything. They were literally everywhere.

I never minded the live ones growing up, I was terrified of the brown shells they left behind for some reason. So creepy. Now of course, I hate the live ones, not so much for the buzzing, but for the splatter they leave on my windshield. When is D-Day for this anyway?

I never minded the live ones growing up, I was terrified of the brown shells they left behind for some reason. So creepy. Now of course, I hate the live ones, not so much for the buzzing, but for the splatter they leave on my windshield. When is D-Day for this anyway?

Whenever the ground temperature gets above 62 degrees (?) they will come out.

From what I've read, this won't be as bad as the ones in 2004. That was quite memorable.

I've heard of the 17 year cicada but I didn't think much of it since I literally SEE THEM every year. How bad are the 17 year ones? I'm so scared I may take a 2 month vacation out of state.

1979 was Brood II and I remember it being bad, but then again I was an 11 yr old kid and thought it was cool.

2013 is also Brood II so we should be in for a bumper crop. :yikes:

In 1987 when Brood X hit in DC, I thought it was kinda cool... then it just got annoying.

In 2004, here in Cincy - they werent too bad where I lived but I went to a Reds game and there were millions of their bodies everywhere in the walkways. It was terrible.

Guess they will be back in 2021.

it's amazing that bugs that big, juicy, and helpless can possibly survive in the world

That's exactly why they breed the way they do. When ten zillion of them appear at once every 17 years, it doesn't matter how helpless they are. Every predator in the area can eat as many as it wants and 7 zillion of them will still breed successfully.

ps - don't let your cat roam around outside. Our cat would eat them like chicken mcnuggets, then throw up in the house. Over and over. :ols:

Archived