Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cicadas coming to land on you soon??!???

HtownRocks111

Brood II is especially bad for us in Southern MD. I can't wait to fish with these things though, I caught some HUGE bass back in 1996 with these things.

Well I was in Waldorf back in '04 when they came, and it was crazy. The sound they made was the weirdest thing I'd ever heard. Sounded like a cheesy 1950's flying saucer.

Brood II is especially bad for us in Southern MD. I can't wait to fish with these things though, I caught some HUGE bass back in 1996 with these things.

That surprises me. I would think that every bass in Maryland would be totally stuffed with cicadas before you even got to the dock.

http://www.greencastonline.com/tools/soiltempmaps.aspx

According to that website we're between 50-55 degrees ground temperature right now (zoom in for specifics). Anywhere from 7-12 degrees away from the swarm.

---------- Post added May-9th-2013 at 10:49 AM ----------

Well I was in Waldorf back in '04 when they came, and it was crazy. The sound they made was the weirdest thing I'd ever heard. Sounded like a cheesy 1950's flying saucer.

While this is true, I've always liked the hum. The one thing about them I've liked. Not sure why.

in spite of some not too pleasnt experiences, i like everything about them :)

my oldes daughter was 2.5 in 2004, and she LOVED them. SHe would pick up every single one she found, and put them on her dress like a broach. On walks it was pure joy watching her wander up to the nice old ladies in our neighborhood... they would have big beaming smiles when she was 20 feet away-- these would eventually change to puzzled half smiles as she got closer--- and then immediately shift to utter contortions if absolute disgust as they realized that the little blond cherub in the sun dress had 15 pounds of insect crawling all over her body. Pure delight :) (she ALSO loved putting the creepy crawlies on her 6 month old sister)

also... back in 87 i had the pleasure of riding a motorcycle through them with no face mask. free lunch!

(really that was pretty gross... as they were constantly crushed and exploding against my face)

Cicadas: "The Shrimp of the Land"

The cicada invasion gives you the opportunity to feast on what scientists call a phenomenon

By Vince Lattanzio

Monday, May 13, 2013

Fried cicada are for sale at Xian International Exhibition Center in Xian of Shaanxi Province, China.

Billions of bite-sized snacks are about to appear in your backyard.

After nearly two decades living under the earth, cicadas are about to shake off the dirt and invade our great outdoors. And they’ll be ripe for your feasting says Isa Betancourt, an entomologist from the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University.

“It’s a delicacy that’s rare,” says Betancourt, who’s known to dine on a few bugs from time to time. She calls cicadas "the shrimp of the land.”

“They are arthropods, which means they have an exoskeleton,” she said. “We regularly eat the arthropods of the sea and those are the shrimp, lobsters and crabs. And so cicadas are arthropods too.”

There are a couple dozen recipes for how to specifically prepare cicadas. Betancourt is planning on taking an old shrimp skewer dish, her grandmother has made for ages, and substitute in the insect. She also suggests boiling your insects first to quickly kill and clean them.

Online you can learn how to make Cicada-Portobello Quiche or a German Chocolate Cicada Cake – complete with a coconut-pecan frosting.

Cicada-Licious, a cicada cookbook (yes, this exists), has a number of other interesting ideas.

Click on the link for the full article

I was under the impression that this was going to be an "all at once" kind of thing. I've seen precisely one shell so far, and heard nothing. My wife, who travels around the county to visit clients, said that one house she was at (not more than 15-20 miles away from where we live) was absolutely covered with live cicadas. I thought once the soil reached a certain temperature, that was it, they would be everywhere. I can't imagine the temperature varies much over that short of a distance.

During the last invasion, a kid at my high school fried a bunch and covered em with chocolate. They were tasty!

I keep looking at this recipe and thinking, hmm that sounds pretty tasty......

5 cicadas, wings and legs removed if shells are hard

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

1 egg, lightly beaten

1/4 cup flour

1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs or 1/2 cup panko

1/4 cup seafood ****tail sauce

Directions:

Marinate cicadas in Worcestershire sauce at least 1 hours.

Dip into flour, egg then into breadcrumbs.

Deep fry and serve with ****tail sauce if you dare.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/2013/04/the-best-way-to-handle-the-coming-cicada-invasion-heat-up-the-deep-fryer/

http://deep-fried.food.com/recipe/a-tasty-treat-of-cicadas-90758

I keep looking at this recipe and thinking, hmm that sounds pretty tasty......

5 cicadas, wings and legs removed if shells are hard

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

1 egg, lightly beaten

1/4 cup flour

1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs or 1/2 cup panko

1/4 cup seafood ****tail sauce

Directions:

Marinate cicadas in Worcestershire sauce at least 1 hours.

Dip into flour, egg then into breadcrumbs.

Deep fry and serve with ****tail sauce if you dare.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/2013/04/the-best-way-to-handle-the-coming-cicada-invasion-heat-up-the-deep-fryer/

http://deep-fried.food.com/recipe/a-tasty-treat-of-cicadas-90758

the shrimp of the land!!

---------- Post added May-15th-2013 at 03:49 PM ----------

And then he tricked the dumb kid in class to eat cicadas?

;)

tumblr_lvurcyaZlM1qf04yf.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Archived