Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: Why Florida's Jordan Reed Is the NFL's Next Aaron Hernandez

E-Dog Night

And lmao at the post about the "OL being ignored for years". Good god man, did you just come out of a coma?

I keep seeing people say this, and every time I wonder if the Snyderatto years gave some people permanent brain damage, where they can't process things beyond a certain point.

Bills fans are liking EJ as well.... i was like WTF on that pick and this one... how many here thought they'd go TE in the 3rd rd? be honest....

Yeah, but the Bills could have gotten Manuel in the 2nd or at least traded down in the 1st for *anything else*. Would Reed be there in the 4th? Probably not.

i felt that fs P thomas from fresno state would have been the better pick. and is the cb from NC st. better than the cb fromBoise state that went later to the Dolphins. Not from what i have been seeing and hearing for months.questionable picks so far.wouldn't Searinger been better (rated higher) and fill a higher need than the cb from Nc st. ?

Redskins have 2 - 5th round picks, which can be either bundled with this year or with a pick next year to move up in the 4th or grab an extra 4th pick to go after impact players.

Obviously I've seen him play a lot and while I think the comparisons to Hernandez are somewhat legit, it does concern me that we had to go TE with this pick.

My guess is that we now have our 2nd string TE and our 3rd string QB. At some point we aren't going to keep Rex around as an extra coach and you know at some point Cousins is getting shipped off for picks.

You can't have too many weapons especially with Davis coming off the injury and his weed issue, but I sure hope the FO's plan for the secondary is a good one.

Go GatorNation!

Jordan Reed could definitely be a great red zone target for RG3 with his size.

He doesn't really have much size. Not sure the RZ is his forte necessarily, he'll be scoring from outside of it. Then again, he's so smooth and athletic that I could see him getting open in the compressed space down there and being viable. People are usually shocked to hear that Hernandez has almost as many RZ targets as Gronk the last couple years.

---------- Post added April-26th-2013 at 11:50 PM ----------

Obviously I've seen him play a lot and while I think the comparisons to Hernandez are somewhat legit, it does concern me that we had to go TE with this pick.

My guess is that we now have our 2nd string TE and our 3rd string QB. At some point we aren't going to keep Rex around as an extra coach and you know at some point Cousins is getting shipped off for picks.

You can't have too many weapons especially with Davis coming off the injury and his weed issue, but I sure hope the FO's plan for the secondary is a good one.

Go GatorNation!

We didn't "have" to go TE there, Shanahan basically said we just couldn't pass the opportunity up, he was our highest rated WR/TE left and he fell into our laps when we weren't expecting it.

Cut + paste of some things I wrote on twitter.

Reed can be used as a move TE, can use him as Split End, can line him up with @RGIII and run option/pistol. Mike and Kyle will have fun.

Watching the FL v. A&M highlights for TE Reed and 2 things stand out. 1: Not a good blocker. Gets hands on you but bad tech and leverage.

Second is that this guy was a mismatch nightmare for college level LBs and Safeties. Whipped them like a rented mule one on one.

What I would love is for Shanny to have him spend half his time in the gym to fill out and the other half in the blocking dungeon, training. He could easily put on 5-10lbs of muscle and still improve on his crappy Combine 40 time.

last year at this time, we were all screaming OL OL OL... (not that a bunch of us haven't said that since the hogs but....) now..... this year, we all wanted defensive backs.... so ok... pick 51 comes... we get a good cb..... 2nd round..... ummmmm...... TE in the 3rd? this guy better be the next coming or..........

so look..... we all want our team to succeed..... i'm just really curious how anyone is gonna gome up with a reasonable explanation for picking a TE in the 3rd rd when we have needs elsewhere.......

There's no need to justify it in our minds, we aren't the scouts or coaches who have proven themselves here time and time again. We also are not DRAFTING BASED ON NEEDS. I'm pulling my hair out everytime someone says "but, but, but we needed this or that". Has the idea of BPA in the draft just flew right over your heads all of a sudden?

Cut + paste of some things I wrote on twitter.

Reed can be used as a move TE, can use him as Split End, can line him up with @RGIII and run option/pistol. Mike and Kyle will have fun.

Watching the FL v. A&M highlights for TE Reed and 2 things stand out. 1: Not a good blocker. Gets hands on you but bad tech and leverage.

Second is that this guy was a mismatch nightmare for college level LBs and Safeties. Whipped them like a rented mule one on one.

What I would love is for Shanny to have him spend half his time in the gym to fill out and the other half in the blocking dungeon, training. He could easily put on 5-10lbs of muscle and still improve on his crappy Combine 40 time.

Been a while since I've seen you post. And ya, I feel you hit the nail on the head. This dude is going to be in the backfield some plays the way banks was used and Robinson. He doesn't have a to be a TE like every other TE. He just has to make plays...

He's already said he's a faster Aaron Hernandez.

Seems like someone in your location should know exactly what Reed brings.

I know exactly what Reed brings.. I said I was "ok"with the pick. I was poking fun at Shanny who compared Niles Paul to Shannon Sharpe. Seems like someone in your location should know what Shanahan says about his tight Ends.. ;)

umm....... george allen is dead.. might be bruce you're thinking of... still don't get a te with a 3rd rd pick.. what about the secondary or perhaps the OL..... OL has been neglected for years....

Trent Williams & Josh Leribius would like to say #*^% you :) Tom Compton as well :) Maybe Adam Gettis but ill get back to you on that :)

I'm warming up to it, as to the faster Aaron Hernandez comment, it seems possible from the little looking I've done but I mean he ran somewhere .02 seconds slower than Hernandez at the combine. He plays fast but I have to wonder why his 40 time wasn't exceptional or up to par with the expectations? Injury or just bad luck? I wouldn't call him a matchup nightmare when looking at his speed and height, along with subpar blocking but I think he looks explosive and like a good pass cathing TE so I can see the Hernandez comparison. Kinda dissapointed we didn't take my man crush Stedman Bailey or a safety though :)

I like it better than the Amerson pick I have to admit, I will come around to it in time but I am still kinda sour about that one.

Skins nation does not want UF fans. I hate UF, **** em. Go FSU! :P

You, Poman, and Chopper Dave might need to have a talk.

And I know very well what other college Floridians think of UF. I've been told by alumni of other Florida schools that they think UF puts something in the water, haha.

All the doubters are really missing the dimension he adds. Yes, we need safety, but Rambo could definitely still happen, or someone else. Reed is a potential elite talent. The only big difference between Reed and Hernandez in college was the skill surrounding them. Reed moves the chains, he gets downfield, he can produce YAC, good in the screen game, can work at any receiver spot, from hand in the dirt to slot to outside the hashes. Hell, he'll even be good for a few gadget plays to RG3 downfield if we want to get crazy, because the guy can throw too.

Reed is a game changer with the right team around him. He totally amps up this offense's dynamic. We can get a safety tomorrow.

Nailed it.

The new era athletic hybrid-tight end has become the queen of the NFL offensive chessboard. He's a playmaker and a gamechanger schematically. I'm in love with this pick. Given how much of our offense is predicated around attacking the middle of the field, an elite tight end receiving threat is more important than a #2 wide out. We're building an offense that should be a top-5 offense year in and year out, and in today's NFL, offense is more important than defense.

And for everyone assuming Niles Paul is on the outs, I'd say there's a better chance that we keep 4 tight ends, with our 4th TE replacing our 6th WR (Dez Briscoe) on the roster.

Like the Jets drafting a bunch of players on D, I guess we're loading up our strengths with this pick and hoping the rest falls into place. That's OK. We won a lot of games that way and I'm guessing we will again.

God I hope Minnifield and Amerson pan out.

You, Poman, and Chopper Dave might need to have a talk.

And I know very well what other college Floridians think of UF. I've been told by alumni of other Florida schools that they think UF puts something in the water, haha.

UF only puts awesomeness in the water :silly: Seriously though, Reed made a lot of mistakes and definitely needs to mature a bit, but he's got a lot of upside. Redskins could do worse.

last year at this time, we were all screaming OL OL OL... (not that a bunch of us haven't said that since the hogs but....) now..... this year, we all wanted defensive backs.... so ok... pick 51 comes... we get a good cb..... 2nd round..... ummmmm...... TE in the 3rd? this guy better be the next coming or..........

so look..... we all want our team to succeed..... i'm just really curious how anyone is gonna gome up with a reasonable explanation for picking a TE in the 3rd rd when we have needs elsewhere.......

Reed was going to be gone by the next time we were on the clock bro, he's only been playing Tight End for 2 years and his potential is off the charts this guy could be the next Aaron Hernandez and with RG3 being the QB teams are going to have to worry about RG3 taking over and Jordan Reed being pesky and running TE screens or hiding in zone coverage.

Definitely read up on Reed it was a great pick!

First Breaking down Jordan Reed

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/4/26/4273100/breaking-down-redskins-draft-pick-tight-end-jordan-reed

Then Read Breaking Down The "Joker" Tight End position.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/4/4181952/nfl-draft-2013-scouting-reports-tight-ends-zach-ertz-tyler-eifert-jordan-reed

When I read this it really opened my eyes, it's going to allow Kyle to make so many mismatches where we can bring out two tight ends in the huddle and a D-coordinator has to decide do I play base (because they are running the ball) and put linebackers out there? Or Do I substitute linebackers for Corners "because they are going to pass it? And once they put out linebackers we can audible and have Fred and Reed motion and play wide (mismatch on slow LB's). And if they put out Corners we can bring Fred and Reed to the line to run block (Mismatch for tiny weak corners) and POUND it down their throat with Alfred Morris.

Archived