Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: Why Florida's Jordan Reed Is the NFL's Next Aaron Hernandez

E-Dog Night

I read a lot of blah blah blah. What makes your point of view or opinion the gospel? I loved the trade to grab RGIII, we needed a franchise, once in a lifetime QB and we did what we had to do to get him. TE was not the weakest position on our team last year. The defense was. Surely you know that. And with all the gaping holes in our secondary and need to have a replacement for Fletcher (eventually) along with some o-line depth. You cannot deny that we didn't need to address those other positions of need before the TE position.

Don't put words into my mouth trying to justify your views/opinions, trying to judge me (based on my logic for wanting to wait til next year to address TE) as one that didn't like the move up to grab RGIII when you really have no ****ing clue on what moves I liked or disliked. I did not like picking up a TE in this draft. Everyone, including you has their arguments on if a pick was a good pick or not. Bashing me because I dont like a pick is stupid.

And for the record, I've never said I wanted to be a GM and if you read my other posts I do acknowledge that there is a reason we are fans and they are the professionals. That doesn't mean I have to like their every move and kiss their collective asses and rave about how god like they are on a public forum board. I've gone on record numerous times that I'm happy with the draft this year, I just don't like the TE pick.

And I said I would have drafted ONE offensive lineman, ONE. Surely, drafting some youth in ONE pick isnt a bad idea. I don't care if we have 13 on the roster right now, my guess is drafting ONE OL position in the 4th round would put a player on the roster thats better than what we have as far as depth. And sorry if I don't acknowledge what two other Redskins forum boards rate a player, Nixon 4th round talent signed as UDFA. They aren't professionals at projecting **** for the NFL, yet you bash me saying thats why fans shouldn't be GMs, but trust the draft rankings from other fans on other forum boards..........hypocrite much?

You mad, bro?

So you draft positions just to draft them? That's a brilliant NOT idea.

We drafted Gattis, LeRibreus and Compton last year. It doesn't matter what round they went, because ZBS type of OL go later in the draft anyway.

We revamped our secondary in a matter of a draft. MS realized that he could work the current group for 13 while infusing young talent and having them fully ready by 14

Little over the top man, you can make your point with out the insults, I know, I've seen you do it elsewhere.

Good point. You had a rocky start from my POV, Hunna, but I'm coming to respect your opinions. Don't ruin that flying off the handle.

:ols:

Sometimes you just have to remind yourself that a lot of fans only exist to blow air

It's a case of them not being able to see past the end of their own noses. I see a lot of people acting like we had two picks that mattered and that anybody we got after the third would be garbage. Not true. This was an odd draft in that there was not a roughly linear drop-off in talent round after round but rather a class full of second and third rounders nearly top to bottom. The result being that scooping that TE in the third didn't preclude us from filling "needs" at safety in later rounds. I think a lot of the people criticizing the pick at 85 don't appreciate that.

To those people: we still got the guy you wanted (or the equivalent) on defense and a potentially dynamic weapon on offense. How is that not a win-win?

You mad, bro?

No, but you're acting like a jerk to me for posting my opinions on a public forum board. God forbid one fan doesn't like one draft pick from the almighty Shanny/Bruce regime. I think its just sad that you attack people's opinions/views on a public forum board. It's just football talk broski, maybe you should get out of the basement a little bit and discover vagina. You act like an angry teenager.

No, but you're acting like a dick to me for posting my opinions on a public forum board. God forbid one fan doesn't like one draft pick from the almighty Shanny/Bruce regime. I think its just sad that you attack people's opinions/views on a public forum board. It's just football talk broski, maybe you should get out of the basement a little bit and discover vagina. You act like an angry teenager.

I like that too! I also like money. We should all hang out sometime.

You could both grow up a bit. Don't make me get sad at you. :mad:

Greg Cosell wrote about the value of a move TE.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cosell-modern-tight-ends-present-opportunities-challenges-213435405--nfl.html;_ylt=AufqK20NjZoeeX.xGORZw1tYYsp_;_ylu=X3oDMTE4NWRia245BG1pdANCbG9ncyBJbmRleARwb3MDMQRzZWMDTWVkaWFCbG9nSW5kZXg-;_ylg=X3oDMTFpMm9iMzh1BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANibG9nBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

The question, then, becomes, what is the value of a versatile, movement pass receiving tight end in today’s NFL? It is now fashionable to speak of the devaluation of the running back position in both the league, and by extension, the draft. Is the athletic, pass catching tight end trending the other way? Is he now increasing in value? Doesn’t it make sense to draft those players higher than might have been the case years ago? The reasoning is really unassailable when you logically think about the direction in which the NFL is moving. The reality is, it is more difficult conceptually to defend “12” personnel – one back, two tight ends, two wide receivers – than it is “11” personnel – one back, one tight end, and three wide receivers.

This brings us to the 2013 tight end draft class. As we consider the players, don’t get caught up in traditional definitions and attributes of the tight end position. That’s particularly true when you evaluate Jordan Reed of Florida. Reed is this year’s version of Hernandez; he’s not quite as flexible and dynamic with the ball in his hands, but Reed has similar traits. He was smooth and fluid as a route runner, deceptively quick and fast, and he showed excellent run-after-catch ability. He ran wide receiver routes from plus split alignments. Many will say that he’s not a great in-line blocker, and that’s true, but is that ultimately relevant. When you study the impact that athletic receiving tight ends have had in the NFL in recent years, predominantly in two-tight end sets, you conclude that it’s a player that has tremendous value.

...Yeah, you mad, bro.

Nobody is mad. Getting mad at someone on the internet is stupid lol. You have your opinion of the draft pick, I have mine. We don't agree. At the end of the day, you don't need to act like a jerk.

Its ok though, Im not gonna take your bait anymore. I don't want a vacation. You don't agree with me, so be it.

Taze, please take this as the friendly suggestion it's meant as, when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

Nice find Armchair, a lot of people are still stuck on the old definitions of what a TE does or can do, now let's extrapolate that articles ideas into our offense with the Pistol being run by Griffin, along with a healthy Davis............ ooooo, yummy

Taze, please take this as the friendly suggestion it's meant as, when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

First, thank you for trying to encourage cooler heads. But I don't consider myself "in a hole" because I don't agree with a draft pick. I'm sorry. The guy is acting like I'm the anti-christ for posting an opinion that doesn't agree with the masses on this forum board. He's acting like a self-centered prick and I called him out on it. I just like to debate/talk football while maintaining a composure that respects others views without attacking them/calling them out.

I don't agree with a lot of posts on here, but I don't go putting words in others mouths and acting like an jerk because I don't agree with their opinion or stance on a certain transaction, etc. I guarantee he doesn't talk down to people he interacts with on a daily basis like he does on here, cause he wouldn't have many friends or much of a life.

I guarantee he doesn't talk down to people he interacts with on a daily basis like he does on here, cause he wouldn't have many friends or much of a life.

Guessing you don't tell people to their face to find out about the opposite sex's genitalia because they are basement dwellers to their face, either. So take your own advice.

Guessing you don't tell people to their face to find out about the opposite sex's genitalia because they are basement dwellers to their face, either. So take your own advice.

Well, depending on how much I had to drink, who knows :)

Oh yeah, just read this from ESPN insider from Mel Kiper's evaluation of our draft.........so I guess one of the experts is in agreement with me on my feelings about drafting a TE over an offensive lineman.

Summary: The Redskins get a bump here because RG III is technically part of the value component when we grade what they got from this draft. But he is also coming back from an injury and we'll see how they utilize him differently in 2013. He's still a fabulous player, but there's at least a little we don't know. In terms of hitting needs, this was just OK. They need help all over the secondary, and David Amerson was a slight reach for me in Round 2, but at least offers depth. He was exceptional in 2011, but had some ugly games in 2012, so if he cleans up his play they get a good player. Phillip Thomas and Bacarri Rambo offer depth at safety, with Thomas close to being ready to start. I wouldn't be surprised if he does. Jordan Reed gives them a potential matchup threat at tight end, though I might have targeted an offensive lineman first. Brandon Jenkins is an interesting guy because if he's 100 percent he's a really good pass-rusher. Chris Thompson could be yet another good late-round RB story for Mike Shanahan, but he'll need to stay on the field. I think Washington should have taken an inside linebacker, but didn't. Not a bad draft, because the Redskins added depth at need spots.

Here is a link for the entire article, but you have to be an ESPN insider to view: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9200335/2013-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-gives-grades-every-nfl-team-draft?refresh=true

I have to be honest, I was really disappointed with this pick. First of all, I thought it was a reach.

I also don't see the Hernandez comparison. Reed is more of a possession type TE at the NFL level, than an open field playmaker. He is not quick or fast enough to get yac like Hernandez in the NFL.

I do think he has very reliable hands and is very savvy with where to stop his routes and how to use his body....sort of the way Tony Gonzalez does more of now late in his career. I think he can definitely contribute, but not in the way Hernandez does for New England. For this pick, I would have rather had a more explosive weapon at WR. I'll just hope the staff was right on this one because I will not be silent if they blew this.

Oh yeah, just read this from ESPN insider from Mel Kiper's evaluation of our draft.........so I guess one of the experts is in agreement with me on my feelings about drafting a TE over an offensive lineman.

Here is a link for the entire article, but you have to be an ESPN insider to view: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9200335/2013-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-gives-grades-every-nfl-team-draft?refresh=true

Saying he could be a matchup problem for defenses, but he MIGHT have taken an offensive lineman is hardly a ringing endorsement of your feelings.

Saying he could be a matchup problem for defenses, but he MIGHT have taken an offensive lineman is hardly a ringing endorsement of your feelings.

Arrgh, stupid service unavailable, getting rid of my well phrased post!!

What I had typed, before the website derped, was that there weren't many offensive linemen worth taking. The only offensive linemen with a possible 3rd round grade left when we picked in the 3rd was David Bakhtiari. Now, I'm reasonably high on this kid, but I doubt he could come in and start this year at a level better than Polumbus did last year, or better than one of Compton, Polumbus, Trueblood, or Pashos could this year.

Shanahan said he wasn't taking players just for the sake of taking players, and that's what a Bakhtiari pick would have been, a player who couldn't add anything this year, but was taken because we have a "hole" at RT.

Reed, meanwhile, is likely to be #2 on our TE depth chart to open the year, and line up opposite Davis in 2 TE sets, and will probably be used to spell Davis on longer drives. He'll immediately improve the offense by adding another weapon for RGIII or alternatively replacing Davis if his achilles leaves him less than 100%. And Reed was apparently rated higher overall than Bakhtiari, in addition to his impact being greater.

The simple fact is, what Kiper is advocating for is for us to have taken an OT for the sake of taking an OT, despite the fact that no OT past Watson, who was gone at pick 42, was likely to improve the RT position, and certainly no one available at pick 85 or later was going to upgrade the position this year. Compton is developing, Nixon was rated a 4th and 5th rounder by Scout Inc. (ESPN) and NFLDraftScout (CBS) respectively, so he might be developing, and yes, we've also thrown a lot of other crap at the wall. If problems persist, we have lots of money to do it with next year, and will have a draft as well (possibly bolstered by a Cousins trade). The thing we don't want to have done, is panic and draft someone who provides us no benefit that we couldn't gain in a later year, and miss a potentially beneficial for this year prospect.

I stand behind my opinion, I don't think drafting an undersized TE

Dude - stop thinking in black/white ac/dc. Collegiate TE means what? R.Kerrigan was a DE in college. The draft can be about molding ballers.

'Undersized TE'. J.Reed was a QB, lined up in the backfield as RB, can play the slot or X, and played as a TE. I think of him as a potential Lorenzo Alexander of the offense.

Walter football: He is fast and consistently beats man coverage. His route-running is very good, and he has no problem getting separation. Reed is deadly running down the middle seam. He gets downfield quickly and presents mismatch problems for linebackers and safeties.

I also don't see the Hernandez comparison.

First sentence of NFL.com's write up on Aaron Hernandez...

Hernandez is a slightly undersized tight end that will best fit schemes that use an H-back as well as the traditional tight end.

As far as measurables...

Both are 6'2"

Hernandez has 32 1/4 inch arms, Reed has 33 inch arms

Hernandez has 9 3/4" hands, Reed has 10" hands

Neither is/was considered a good blocker coming out

Hernandez ran a 4.64 on his Pro Day with a 1.65 10-yard split, Reed ran a 4.70 40 with a 1.61 10-yard split

They grew up in the same friggin' neighborhood and went to the same college

Here's video of Hernandez in college...

and here's Reed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-frWs5UGg0

I'm not saying that I don't want the kid to succeed and I hope he becomes the #1 TE/WR threat in all of football. I just disagreed with picking up a TE instead of o-line depth and people are blasting me for it. Other experts that know a lot more about football agree with my stance too. Doesn't mean I'm less of a fan or pull against our players.

Archived