Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: Why Florida's Jordan Reed Is the NFL's Next Aaron Hernandez

E-Dog Night

This offense is going to be nasty and versatile this year. Davis and Reed. Garcon, Moss, Hankerson, and Morgan. Morris, and whichever 3rd down back survives camp. And leading them all, RGIII.

Our 3rd down percentage should really improve this year with the offensive players we've added, and we were already one of the deadliest teams on 1st and 2nd down.

omg, how many times do i have to see people with rose colored glasses here...... we're not bills fans..... they love the EJ pick...... some of us can, and hopefully better than bills fans i've seen, can actually disagree with a pick and not get roasted for not liking the pick..... seriously... we had other needs..... RT, LB, and FS and LG come to mind.... we only have 4 picks left.... anyone think we're going to get a starting FS or RT there?

The draft doesn't guarantee you any starting players at any round. Lucky for you the draft didn't end in the 3rd round. Taking the best player available player possible in each round will be the best way to land the starters you want. Lets be serious, TE is a position that is also of need.

I was confused at first by this pick, but he seems good, but his size is small 6'2" 237, but the SKINS have him listed at 6'3" 245, so which is it?

He's 6'2" Aaron Hernandez is 6'1" he's EXACTLY like Aaron hernandez he's going to be lined up all over the field (put in motion) and he's going to play Hback when we run the pistol zone read option. The guy is too big for DB's and too fast for Linebackers and has VERY good hands unlike Niles "Hands of stones" Paul

He's 6'2" Aaron Hernandez is 6'1" he's EXACTLY like Aaron hernandez he's going to be lined up all over the field (put in motion) and he's going to play Hback when we run the pistol zone read option. The guy is too big for DB's and too fast for Linebackers and has VERY good hands unlike Niles "Hands of stones" Paul

Paul's hand size: 8 7/8 in.

Reed's hand size: 10 in.

omg, how many times do i have to see people with rose colored glasses here...... we're not bills fans..... they love the EJ pick...... some of us can, and hopefully better than bills fans i've seen, can actually disagree with a pick and not get roasted for not liking the pick..... seriously... we had other needs..... RT, LB, and FS and LG come to mind.... we only have 4 picks left.... anyone think we're going to get a starting FS or RT there?

ANOTHER moronic post, when will you guys learn to stop doubting shanahan? He knows what he is doing you "FAKE" experts don't know a thing. For example everyone wanted "Rambo" in round 2 we were able to get him in round 6, we would have been idiots to draft him round 2.

---------- Post added April-28th-2013 at 11:36 AM ----------

True thats probably why however I'm sure Santana Moss's hands aren't too big yet he can actually catch the football lol. I honestly don't think Niles Paul makes the roster unless it's special teams only, Not sure we keep 4 TE's.

---------- Post added April-28th-2013 at 11:36 AM ----------

True thats probably why however I'm sure Santana Moss's hands aren't too big yet he can actually catch the football lol. I honestly don't think Niles Paul makes the roster unless it's special teams only, Not sure we keep 4 TE's.

ANOTHER moronic post, when will you guys learn to stop doubting shanahan? He knows what he is doing you "FAKE" experts don't know a thing. For example everyone wanted "Rambo" in round 2 we were able to get him in round 6, we would have been idiots to draft him round 2.

Little over the top man, you can make your point with out the insults, I know, I've seen you do it elsewhere.

i'm satisfied with the pick. i knew that we were looking at TE somewhere in the draft & it was smart to do so. we have a middling Logan Paulsen, a non-existent Niles Paul (unless he can develop...though i'm not buying it at this point), & a Fred Davis that...while very good, is returning from perhaps the most difficult injury an athlete can return from in a ruptured achilles. combine that with the fact that he's on a 1year, & the TE pick makes even more sense. we develop him, hope he has the desire & work ethic to improve his game....sees that like AlMo, he has an opportunity to come into an advantageous situation where he can possibly blossom, & if he outperforms Davis, you feel better about letting him go or at least you have leverage against him in contract negotiations next year.

when it comes to talent evaluating....there may have been players i liked more, or thought might be better fits. guys like D.J. Swearinger, or Blidi Wreh-Wilson, or even taking a flyer on Terrance Williams & waiting for a Safety at 3.

at the end of the day...given the short-term track record provided under the Shanallan era.....i think i feel extremely confident when i say that i trust their evaluating talents waaaaaaay more than my amateurish obsession. when it comes down to it...if they felt like Phillip Thomas & David Amerson were "there guys," & they were the ones they got....AND IN GREAT POSITIONS to boot...............then i feel every bit of confidence that these guys will contribute to our team.

finally....i really think the need for OL is overstated & since all of the ones that would have potentially been improvements over our current roster were gone by early RD 2, i am more than satisfied with adding competition for a more needed position than for reaching for an OL that might not even beat out Polumbus or any of our draft picks from last season.

my only wish is that we would have grabbed an ILB...but there wasn't a ton of talent there. now...if Te'o had fallen all the way down to us, i believe we may have jumped.......but otherwise i feel that Amerson provides a much more required improvement over what any of the ILB or OL could have offered at that spot.

I really don't see the depth chart being any kind of indication of anything as far as our TE's go this year, with the exception of Davis as #1 if he's healthy. Paulsen will likely go back to being almost purely a blocker at the LOS. Davis will be the traditional TE, again, if healthy. Paul is kind of the H-back or motion blocker for the run game. Reed will almost exclusively work as a pass catcher in the slot or from the line.

Shanahan seemed to hint at some interesting formations in one of his pressers talking about 3-4 TE sets and how it can really take advantage of a defense. Paulsen has reliable hands and if Paul can get over his case of the drops, we can line up with all four of these guys and still effectively run or pass the ball.

We certainly have the ability to get creative with 3-4 TE formations but to suggest that Reed will see the field more than Paulsen, to me, is incredibly premature. We were the #1 rushing team for a reason and it can't be boiled down to just #10 and #46. Logan Paulsen is an incredible in-line blocker and I believe the Shanahans would value that more than some of match-up advantages that Reed presents, which are essentially the same match-up problems that Fred Davis presents.

Edit: Not to mention Paulsen's receiving skills are extensively overlooked.

Who the heck are you to come in here calling people morons because they disagree with a draft pick? Of course reality says that NFL head coaches/GMs know more about football and what they are doing than the fan does. That's why we are fans and they are coaches, but you don't need to act like an ass calling people out because of their opinions. I had someone ask me if I was trying to be a moron yesterday because I posted my disagreement with picking a TE with our 3rd rd pick.

I stand behind my opinion, I don't think drafting an undersized TE when other positions of need that are more important are still out there. Yes he is undersized, 6'2, 230lbs is not a big body (at the TE spot). My reasoning is quite simple. We had the #5 overall offense in the NFL last season without Fred. We have the #1 rushing attack in the NFL, which calls for a good blocking TE, which we have already on the roster in Paulson. Tight End is an area of need, but not one that would cripple the team or set us back if we waited and addressed it in FA or the draft NEXT year.

Will Reed help the passing game which ranked 20th overall, one would hope. But we are a run first team, period. With already having a top 5 offense, I'd have liked to see us go all defense on all the picks with exception of one o-line depth and RB. Meaning, I loved the draft this year with the exception of this one pick. Should have taken the best offensive lineman available at the time. We are going to be so far under the cap next season its gonna be crazy and I'd have liked to address TE and WR in FA next year.

That 4.72 seems like a slow time. I bet he plays faster than that. At least he looks like it on tape.

He probably does play faster. Although its still running 40 yards in under 5 seconds. I played running back in college and ran a 4.6.

I didn't have problems with "faster" guys that took bad angles or took my stiff arm to the mug. It's all relative on the field. If you're in position to make plays, you make 'em. If not, it doesn't matter how 3 tenths of a second faster you are (I run a 4.6 they run a 4.3).

---------- Post added April-28th-2013 at 02:26 PM ----------

We do need debt at TE. Not sure if last year's film indicated it or if its injury driven. It could be that Reed's size as it relates to his speed could be for special teams. He could be there to replace Paul. Maybe Paul playing special teams affected his ability on offense. That's a lot to have to play kickoff, return, extra point, punt team and be expected to block elite DEs on offense every week. Maybe this year Paul focuses solely on offense. With one year under his belt, he excels.

BTW, Reed and Paul are about the same size with Paul running at about a 4.5 clip.

Who the heck are you to come in here calling people morons because they disagree with a draft pick? Of course reality says that NFL head coaches/GMs know more about football and what they are doing than the fan does. That's why we are fans and they are coaches, but you don't need to act like an ass calling people out because of their opinions. I had someone ask me if I was trying to be a moron yesterday because I posted my disagreement with picking a TE with our 3rd rd pick.

I stand behind my opinion, I don't think drafting an undersized TE when other positions of need that are more important are still out there. Yes he is undersized, 6'2, 230lbs is not a big body (at the TE spot). My reasoning is quite simple. We had the #5 overall offense in the NFL last season without Fred. We have the #1 rushing attack in the NFL, which calls for a good blocking TE, which we have already on the roster in Paulson. Tight End is an area of need, but not one that would cripple the team or set us back if we waited and addressed it in FA or the draft NEXT year.

Will Reed help the passing game which ranked 20th overall, one would hope. But we are a run first team, period. With already having a top 5 offense, I'd have liked to see us go all defense on all the picks with exception of one o-line depth and RB. Meaning, I loved the draft this year with the exception of this one pick. Should have taken the best offensive lineman available at the time. We are going to be so far under the cap next season its gonna be crazy and I'd have liked to address TE and WR in FA next year.

Yet another example of why fans shouldn't be GM's...

1.) Stop this "we're a run-first team" stuff. We ran the football and we ran the football well, but that was more the product of having a rookie quarterback with a certain skillset under center. Kyle likes to throw the ball, and Robert was asking for more complex route combinations last season, and he'll likely get them in year two.

2.) This offense doesn't call for a good blocking tight end. Shannon Sharpe did almost all his blocking on the move. A move tight end has always been a crucial element of Mike Shanahan's offense, amd its always been a crucial element of Gary Kubiak's offense, and it's always been a crucial part of Kyle Shanahan's offense. There is a reason that Fred Davis was targeted so much in 2011 and was leading the team in receptions before he got hurt. Move tight ends matter.

3.) You don't go into a draft thinking "well maybe we can go get a tight end next year". How many people on this board said the same thing before we drafted Robert? "We don't need to move up to draft him! The class of quarterbacks next year is really good and we can get a quarterback then!".

And what happened? Matt Barkley's USC team went in the dumps, Geno started off hot and then cooled off, Tyler Wilson and Landry Jones had disappointing seasons. Nearly all the guys who were going to make up the "great" 2013 NFL Draft class fell off a cliff, and that had people deeming this one of the worst quarterback classes in recent history.

You are guaranteed nothing in the NFL draft and free agency. Last year the class of tight ends was shallow. This year it was deep. Next year it could be shallow again.

People need to understand; we draft BEST. PLAYER. AVAILABLE. Which means we take the prospects we really like or love and value over the prospects we merely like to address a "need". Mike Shanahan said we weren't looking for a tight end, but the value for Reed was so great and he was so high on their board that they couldn't just pass him by.

When you pass prospects by and draft for need, you end up drafting a center you could get in the 3rd round instead of Shariff Floyd or Matt Elam.

3.) How many frakking linemen is this team going to have to draft before people stop insisting we need to draft offensive linemen in every damn draft? Most teams only carry 7-8 linemen. We have at least 13 on the roster if you include the undrafted free agents. Including Xavier Nixon, who we at HTTR24-7.com and Hogs Haven rated as a 4th round pick.

4.) We look like we're going to have a lot of money under the cap now. But we're going to have a lot of one or two year contracts. We're probably going to extend Orakpo, plus give Fred a new deal, if Meriweather plays well he's going to need a new deal, Josh WIlson and DeAngelo Hall could need deals, we're probably going to end up extending Trent Williams soon, Josh Morgan plays well and he'll get a new deal, E.J could get a new deal. Not to mention the tight ends in free agency look dead right now with Jermichael Finley receiving a new deal and the Lions likely to extend Tony Scheffler.

At the end of the day, you can't satisfy every fan. A bunch of fans wanted us to go defense with the Reed pick, and criticized the FO for not doing so, while in another thread people are criticizing the FO for not bolstering the WR corp enough. And then even others wanted an OT.

I suppose Shanahan made the pick in the third calculated to annoy the maximum possible number of fans. It wasn't a DB, so all the people hoping for that raged, it wasn't a WR, so people hoping for that raged (though Reed is a hybrid TE/WR "joker"), and it wasn't an OT, so those guys raged.

At the end of the day, you can't satisfy every fan. A bunch of fans wanted us to go defense with the Reed pick, and criticized the FO for not doing so, while in another thread people are criticizing the FO for not bolstering the WR corp enough. And then even others wanted an OT.

I suppose Shanahan made the pick in the third calculated to annoy the maximum possible number of fans. It wasn't a DB, so all the people hoping for that raged, it wasn't a WR, so people hoping for that raged (though Reed is a hybrid TE/WR "joker"), and it wasn't an OT, so those guys raged.

:ols:

Sometimes you just have to remind yourself that a lot of fans only exist to blow air

My working theory is that Terrance Williams was the pick there. Every indication was that if Terrence was there in the third we'd take him, you had RG3 and Williams even hinting at it on Twitter (for all that's worth.) But Dallas snagged Williams, and I think that was mostly to keep us from drafting him. (Jerruh's not completely stupid after all. Maybe.) Once that happened, Reed probably was sticking out on our draft board like a sore thumb. Wound up get Phillip Thomas (who every one wanted in third) in the fourth and Rambo in the sixth, so all the DB people were satisfied.

I have become mystified at the "We need to stop ignoring offensive lineman in the draft." It's crazy. I remember seeing people post about a year ago that after Robert we should exclusively go O-line in the rest of the draft. To be that clueless, yet get so frustrated/angry as some people get on here, is quite a sight to behold.

Blah blah blah

I read a lot of blah blah blah. What makes your point of view or opinion the gospel? I loved the trade to grab RGIII, we needed a franchise, once in a lifetime QB and we did what we had to do to get him. TE was not the weakest position on our team last year. The defense was. Surely you know that. And with all the gaping holes in our secondary and need to have a replacement for Fletcher (eventually) along with some o-line depth. You cannot deny that we didn't need to address those other positions of need before the TE position.

Don't put words into my mouth trying to justify your views/opinions, trying to judge me (based on my logic for wanting to wait til next year to address TE) as one that didn't like the move up to grab RGIII when you really have no ****ing clue on what moves I liked or disliked. I did not like picking up a TE in this draft. Everyone, including you has their arguments on if a pick was a good pick or not. Bashing me because I dont like a pick is stupid.

And for the record, I've never said I wanted to be a GM and if you read my other posts I do acknowledge that there is a reason we are fans and they are the professionals. That doesn't mean I have to like their every move and kiss their collective asses and rave about how god like they are on a public forum board. I've gone on record numerous times that I'm happy with the draft this year, I just don't like the TE pick.

And I said I would have drafted ONE offensive lineman, ONE. Surely, drafting some youth in ONE pick isnt a bad idea. I don't care if we have 13 on the roster right now, my guess is drafting ONE OL position in the 4th round would put a player on the roster thats better than what we have as far as depth. And sorry if I don't acknowledge what two other Redskins forum boards rate a player, Nixon 4th round talent signed as UDFA. They aren't professionals at projecting **** for the NFL, yet you bash me saying thats why fans shouldn't be GMs, but trust the draft rankings from other fans on other forum boards..........hypocrite much?

My working theory is that Terrance Williams was the pick there. Every indication was that if Terrence was there in the third we'd take him, you had RG3 and Williams even hinting at it on Twitter (for all that's worth.) But Dallas snagged Williams, and I think that was mostly to keep us from drafting him. (Jerruh's not completely stupid after all. Maybe.) Once that happened, Reed probably was sticking out on our draft board like a sore thumb. Wound up get Phillip Thomas (who every one wanted in third) in the fourth and Rambo in the sixth, so all the DB people were satisfied.

I wonder if the draft board for our pick in the 3rd was Williams, Wheaton, Reed. Both of the WRs went right before we picked, and I could see them both being nice pickups.

But yeah, Reed probably stuck out, considering Shanahan said he was their top pass catching TE.

Talking about football was a lot more fun before mock drafts and fantasy football when we all knew we didn't know as much as the pros....it's crazy how people think they know more about a game that professionals have been doing their whole lives compared to the average fan who never even played in high school.

Like I said before, I like the pick given our current TE standing. I'm just not sure how to feel about anybody being the next Aaron Hernandez... like, what does that have to do with anything? What exactly has AH done that we should be excited to compare players to him? I'm sorry, but, though I like AH, I don't think we need to compare names to get excited about a player. I don't mind saying they have similar play styles and builds, and even played in the same program, but AH personally hasn't done MUCH to be compared to

/offtopic post

Archived