Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: Why Florida's Jordan Reed Is the NFL's Next Aaron Hernandez

E-Dog Night

Is Vinny Cerrato back in the building?

The problem with that braintrust is you had a disconnect with Jim Zorn coaching the team and eventually some dude from the 80's coaching the offense while Vinny and Snyder was just picking players they want for fun.

Here we know they drafted Jordan Reed because they will use him. Shanny is the captain and he's had Bruce Allen and the scouts do the legwork as far as picking which weapons he wants. Much more cohesion in the direction of the team and leadership of the organization.

---------- Post added April-26th-2013 at 10:21 PM ----------

Probably more of last nail for me personally so I can let go. I knew he was not coming back but this drove it home for me.

Does he still have his pottery store in Leesburg?

Jordan Reed scouting profile

He's also got big hands. They harped on Escobars hands, which are like 9.75 inches, while Reed's are 10 inches. And you know what they say about guys with big hands.

They catch the ball very well.

Big hands, big gloves?

Saw every college game he ever played, including the handful at QB, where he was actually the only competent Gator at the position that season.

Been saying the past two years that he was the most NFL-ready player on our offense, definitely similar to Hernandez. I'm so, so, so stoked about this pick. Worth passing on Rambo. **** just went to the next level.

umm....... george allen is dead.. might be bruce you're thinking of... still don't get a te with a 3rd rd pick.. what about the secondary or perhaps the OL..... OL has been neglected for years....

"OL has been neglected for years" :ols: :ols:

I haven't heard that one in a long time. :ols:

umm....... george allen is dead.. might be bruce you're thinking of... still don't get a te with a 3rd rd pick.. what about the secondary or perhaps the OL..... OL has been neglected for years....

lol good call on the George Allen thing. I think they didn't address OL because of how strong the run game was. Yeah they could have gotten need again with the secondary but I'm looking forward to seeing this pick pan out.

What? Our TE situation is shaky at best. Paulson is a backup, nothing more. Niles Paul can't catch. And Fred Davis is not guaranteed to be at the level he once was.

The Redskins could definitely use more offensive weapons. Outside of Garcon and Davis, we don't have much in the passing game. Davis is coming off a serious injury, is one strike away from a year suspension and is a free agent next year. I'm still concerned about Garcon's foot injury. Niles Paul could be in trouble. Amerson has been a gunner on special teams and Reed could take his position on offense.

hope you're right.. then again, so are the bills fans with ej... not for nothing, would rather have seen a safety or rt being picked...

I see where you're coming from but the bills pick with EJ is on another level. Like a couple levels down from this.

---------- Post added April-26th-2013 at 10:37 PM ----------

The Redskins could definitely use more offensive weapons. Outside of Garcon and Davis, we don't have much in the passing game. Davis is coming off a serious injury, is one strike away from a year suspension and is a free agent next year. I'm still concerned about Garcon's foot injury. Niles Paul could be in trouble. Amerson has been a gunner on special teams and Reed could take his position on offense.

They still have Moss and Josh Morgan.

Plus I wouldn't write off Hankerson or Aldrick Robinson.

You do bring up great points on Fred Davis though.

OL has been neglected for years....

What? We drafted three, last year! That's two years after taking our franchise LT. We just re-signed Lich, and Polumbus (and about every other journeyman RT fill in possible). I'm all for O-line depth too, but I'm not sure how much more we could address it at this point.

All the doubters are really missing the dimension he adds. Yes, we need safety, but Rambo could definitely still happen, or someone else. Reed is a potential elite talent. The only big difference between Reed and Hernandez in college was the skill surrounding them. Reed moves the chains, he gets downfield, he can produce YAC, good in the screen game, can work at any receiver spot, from hand in the dirt to slot to outside the hashes. Hell, he'll even be good for a few gadget plays to RG3 downfield if we want to get crazy, because the guy can throw too.

Reed is a game changer with the right team around him. He totally amps up this offense's dynamic. We can get a safety tomorrow.

last year at this time, we were all screaming OL OL OL... (not that a bunch of us haven't said that since the hogs but....) now..... this year, we all wanted defensive backs.... so ok... pick 51 comes... we get a good cb..... 2nd round..... ummmmm...... TE in the 3rd? this guy better be the next coming or..........

so look..... we all want our team to succeed..... i'm just really curious how anyone is gonna gome up with a reasonable explanation for picking a TE in the 3rd rd when we have needs elsewhere.......

This is a good pick for them. Athletic receiving TE that can either compliment Fred with a 2 TE set, or become his eventual replacement. Either way, he'll likely be the starting TE in a few seasons, and thats all you would want from a 3rd round pick is an eventual starter.

People need to stop panicking every year about the team not immediately gunning for need first. If the team doesn't like any of the safeties at the top of the draft, why would they waste a roster spot on someone they don't care for and would look to replace whenever they can? Its always best to stick with drafting guys that can make a difference and who you want to invest in. Whos to say they didn't like Swearinger or any of the other safeties that got taken after Cyprien?

People should probably ease up on the panic lol. I like the draft so far.

What I find funny is that if we had taken a WR, people would be nodding along saying "we need secondary help, but I can see that." Because we talked about it and prepared ourselves for a playmaker at WR. But because the guy we drafted technically has "TE" next to his name, people freak out.

Reed is barely even a TE. He's almost a WR, and it's likely he plays the slot for us the majority of the time he's on the field. Think of him as a WR.

We can get a safety tomorrow.

Yep. If things fall into place the right way, safety might take care of itself even without a draftee. Of course, I'd feel better taking one in the 4th but it could turn out to be less of a need than we really think it is. Keep in mind how tight-lipped our guys up front are; they know stuff we don't.

Exactly. He's a difference maker. We don't need any one position necessarily, though sure, secondary would help. We need difference makers. Shanahan and Allen are giving RG3 as much ammo as they can. I have no issues with that. And it's not like the marginal value added between the safety we would've gotten with the Reed pick and the one we end up with tomorrow would outweigh Reed's potential.

It's a calculated risk. The whole draft is a series of calculated risks. pcumberl, as much as you can't see a justification for this pick, I can't see how you the potential reward isn't worth the relatively small risk.

. i'm just really curious how anyone is gonna gome up with a reasonable explanation for picking a TE in the 3rd rd when we have needs elsewhere.......

May I remind you that free agency is still open? I'd guess we take a safety in the 4th but if they don't, there are guys on the market and the possibility of the guys on the roster now who might have better luck actually seeing the field this year.

I trust ShanAllen. Do you?

Archived