Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: Why Florida's Jordan Reed Is the NFL's Next Aaron Hernandez

E-Dog Night

With the uncertainty of Davis's level of play (coming off of injury) coupled with the play of Paul and Paulsen, this makes sense.

It also wasn't a good sign that Davis couldn't get hired by another team. This just makes me think they are wondering about Davis' health or Paul/Paulsen's skills.

Or heck he could just be an awesome TE.

I'm afraid this pick has major reach written all over it. After watching the video highlights I don't see that special RAC potential. The stuff that worked against college defenses will get stuffed in the NFL. I'm just saying...........

When I watched the highlights, all I saw was YAC, YAC everywhere.

This pick does one of two things. It either...

1. Gives us insurance in case Davis isn't quite back from injury, or relapses and smokes up again. Paul and Paulsen aren't real legit receiving threats.

2. If Davis is back to form, it gives us two legitimate playmaking TEs. RG3 would have his version of Gronk and Hernandez(probably not quite as good but still pretty nice).

Also, if Davis does blow up, but because he's a FA ends up being too expensive, we'll at least have another young talented TE in the pipeline ready to take his place. That's what good organizations do. Don't wait until there's a hole in the roster before drafting a replacement.

That's the problem with highlights.........you see only the good plays. Nobody makes highlight tapes of their bad plays/mistakes :ols:

Oh, I understand that. I also get that he was making college guys miss and bowling over non-NFL players. But dude specifically mentioned highlights so I was addressing that particular comment.

I'm afraid this pick has major reach written all over it. After watching the video highlights I don't see that special RAC potential. The stuff that worked against college defenses will get stuffed in the NFL. I'm just saying...........

Is there anyone out there calling in a "major reach"? serious question.

With the uncertainty of Davis's level of play (coming off of injury) coupled with the play of Paul and Paulsen, this makes sense.

I think Paulsen was fine, Davis is unknown and is on a one year contract, Paul is a question mark. I had said in a thread before that TE would not surprise me, and it doesn't. I think you supplement the WR core with a good TE and he has the potential. If Davis falters or gets hurt do you really trust the TE position with what else is there.

It also wasn't a good sign that Davis couldn't get hired by another team. This just makes me think they are wondering about Davis' health or Paul/Paulsen's skills.

Or heck he could just be an awesome TE.

I tend to agree, Shanahan is not happy with Davis condition or Paul's potential, this is evident now it is one of the two or both.

What I find funny is that if we had taken a WR, people would be nodding along saying "we need secondary help, but I can see that." Because we talked about it and prepared ourselves for a playmaker at WR. But because the guy we drafted technically has "TE" next to his name, people freak out.

Reed is barely even a TE. He's almost a WR, and it's likely he plays the slot for us the majority of the time he's on the field. Think of him as a WR.

was going to type the same thing...people need to relax. Especially those who are saying things like - Fred must not be getting better OR I guess the front office doesn't like Davis....

Reed is a move around the field Joker type of player....he's a TE, WR, RB, H-Back....in other words a versatile weapon....which is a very good thing for a young QB....

The Redskins are hoping that this guy can pick up some of the slack if Davis goes down again. Paul and Paulsen each played 16 games and could barely produce (combined) what Davis did in about 6 games.

This doesn't have to have any connection to #83 at all. The coach said they didn't expect to pick a TE. Clearly his talent was too good to pass up. We never really got to see #83 and #88 on the field together last year and we clearly needed another playmaker to create some space. This guy is good with the ball in his hands and has the added bonus of being an option QB in HS. I'm sure we can find a way to utilize him in the backfield.

edit: I should add, we did not have a solid third option. It doesn't matter that he is a TE if he provides that. There is such a thing as 2 TE sets.

Sleepy is coming off a serious injury. It's tough to fully recover from an Achilles tear. Dan Marino had this injury, and it affected his play.

Logan is more a blocking TE. And, Niles Paul is just a flop at TE.

Drafting a TE makes sense as both Sleepy and Logan are signed to a 1 year contract. And, we need someone who can be here for a period of time, and can play.

I didn't mean that it was a bad pick... I said it was an interesting pick, not something that I would have thought of that high, but from what I read this guy could not be passed up he was that much of a value. Which is great. We never got to really see much of cooley and davis healthy at the same time, so maybe this will be good. I'm excited.

Archived