Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: Why Florida's Jordan Reed Is the NFL's Next Aaron Hernandez

E-Dog Night

last year at this time, we were all screaming OL OL OL... (not that a bunch of us haven't said that since the hogs but....) now..... this year, we all wanted defensive backs.... so ok... pick 51 comes... we get a good cb..... 2nd round..... ummmmm...... TE in the 3rd? this guy better be the next coming or..........

so look..... we all want our team to succeed..... i'm just really curious how anyone is gonna gome up with a reasonable explanation for picking a TE in the 3rd rd when we have needs elsewhere.......

Because drafting for need beyond the first round is a fool's game. It assumes that there are good players to be had that meet all of your needs--- and that isn't always the case. Offensive weaponry is a "need" IMO. I am sure they feel Reed can make an impact there and not necessarily at the expense of Davis.

Not sure how many times the name Alfred Morris needs to be brought up before people start getting the idea.....

Yep. If things fall into place the right way, safety might take care of itself even without a draftee. Of course, I'd feel better taking one in the 4th but it could turn out to be less of a need than we really think it is. Keep in mind how tight-lipped our guys up front are; they know stuff we don't.

If they were high enough on Rambo for him to be the top safety on their board by much of a margin (if any), they'd have taken him. Adding someone with this much upside is worth it, even if he ends up flopping. There isn't much risk involved in flubbing a 3rd rounder. You have to acknowledge the draft is a crapshoot and gamble accordingly.

NE used 2 tight ends to great success. Why can't we? Paulsen and Paul aren't going to cut it, and the sun set on Cooley years ago. I wouldn't bet on it, but I would't be shocked if Reed became the starting TE.

I've never been completely sold on Davis but all of our other TEs I would guess someone is getting moved.

omg, how many times do i have to see people with rose colored glasses here...... we're not bills fans..... they love the EJ pick...... some of us can, and hopefully better than bills fans i've seen, can actually disagree with a pick and not get roasted for not liking the pick..... seriously... we had other needs..... RT, LB, and FS and LG come to mind.... we only have 4 picks left.... anyone think we're going to get a starting FS or RT there?

Reed's position is PC. Which is a "Pass Catcher". He's gonna catch passes out of every skill position on offense. Yes at TE, but also at WR, in the slot, out of the backfield.

I love that we've added two athletic difference makers so far. Yes we need a safety, but there are some good ones still out there to be had.

omg, how many times do i have to see people with rose colored glasses here...... we're not bills fans..... they love the EJ pick...... some of us can, and hopefully better than bills fans i've seen, can actually disagree with a pick and not get roasted for not liking the pick..... seriously... we had other needs..... RT, LB, and FS and LG come to mind.... we only have 4 picks left.... anyone think we're going to get a starting FS or RT there?

Drafting based on needs isn't a great idea. You take the best value on the board. If it meshes with your needs, then its a bonus. That's how we got Fred Davis when Cooley was still big time.

I honestly didn't think there was a really good starting caliber FS in the draft to begin with, as I never really loved Elam, Cyprien, or Reid as much as a lot of other people. I wouldn't be surprised if Shanny may have felt that most of the Safeties in the draft weren't really worthy of a high pick.

As for LG and LB, I really don't see them doing anything at those positions. They drafted a couple Guards last year that I imagine they'll want to keep trying out and I don't see any LBs really needed, unless they want to give Keenan Robinson some competition as the 3rd guy and eventually #2 when Fletch retires.

As for RT, there are still pretty good ones available, IMO, but I wouldn't sleep on Shanny liking Compton and wanting to give him a shot this coming season.

And an offensive threat was a need and Reed fit it, so I don't see how its such a bad pick.

But the logic behind your disagreement is pretty much nonexistent. You ask, "anyone think we're going to get a starting FS or RT there?" First of all, sure, why not? Second, I think the numbers would show that the difference between the chances of finding one with one of our next three picks and the chances of finding one with the Reed pick is close to insignificant.

They're not rose colored glasses. In my case they might be a tad orange and blue, but it's not homerism. We recognize the other needs; we also recognize that the upside of eschewing them for a potential game changing talent is worth it when the stakes are so relatively low. This isn't a first rounder, or a second, or even an early third. Missing isn't gonna kill us, and even if we did, we have no way of predicting it beforehand. Go for upside when risk is low.

how is guard a need? We have Lictensteiger, Chester, Lebrieus, Hurt and Gettis at G

Not roasting you for not liking the pick, it's for the reasoning behind not liking it: you don't trust the front office. They took Trent instead of Okung and it worked. They sold the farm for RGIII and boy, did it work. Ditto Capt. Kirk and Almo last year. I questioned those moves when they happened; I don't question their judgement anymore.

Plus, after the first or maybe second you're not looking for immediate starters, you're looking at guys to develop long-term. That's what this pick is.

Drafting based on needs isn't a great idea. You take the best value on the board. If it meshes with your needs, then its a bonus. That's how we got Fred Davis when Cooley was still big time.

Exactly. Constantly drafting for "Need" is normally what gets teams in trouble, because they start to overvalue players. Case in point:

I remembeer Cerrato doing a radio show right before the '08 draft where just about every sentence he uttered had the word need in it, when discussing potential draft plans, and everyone knows what happened there.

They still have Moss and Josh Morgan.

Plus I wouldn't write off Hankerson or Aldrick Robinson.

You do bring up great points on Fred Davis though.

Morgan wasn't that impressive and Moss is a part time player who is going into his 13th season. I'm not writing off the other guys but if you are Shanahan, you can't bet your life on them at this point. They still have a lot to prove.

I'm not calling Reed a great pick. I've never seen the guy play in a game. I'll make that determination down the line. I just understand the pick since our TE situation is shaky. It seems like Shanahan is drafting more like a GM than he is as a coach.

Is Vinny Cerrato back in the building?

Yes, Mike is teaching him how to draft correctly.

I have to say, based on that video, if you'd asked me what position he played, I'd probably say WR. Good hands, good speed, and good after the catch running ability, a lot of college tight ends look sort of clumsy out there, he looks very natural as a pass catcher. They even had him lined up out wide a couple times in the video the most obvious at 1:02.

interesting pick....not sure what to make of taking a tight end though.

Because Logan Paulsen is a knucklehead! And Davis is a question mark.

---------- Post added April-26th-2013 at 11:12 PM ----------

I'm not calling Reed a great pick. I've never seen the guy play in a game. I'll make that determination down the line. I just understand the pick since our TE situation is shaky. It seems like Shanahan is drafting more like a GM than he is as a coach.

I watched him every week from the stands. He's an awesome pick. BPA!

Jordan Reed*, TE, Florida

Height: 6-3. Weight: 236. Arm: 33.08. Hand: 10.08.

40 Time: 4.72.

Projected Round (2012): 2-4.

4/23/13: Scouts have told WalterFootball.com that Reed would be better off in a zone-blocking system and a West Coast offense.

The Combine was a mixed outing for Reed. He was a little slower and smaller than expected. Reed also put up one of the lowest totals in the bench press with 16 reps. However, he did well in the field work. WalterFootball.com's sources believe Reed is an underrated talent who will be a good second-day pick.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013TE.php

last year at this time, we were all screaming OL OL OL... (not that a bunch of us haven't said that since the hogs but....) now..... this year, we all wanted defensive backs.... so ok... pick 51 comes... we get a good cb..... 2nd round..... ummmmm...... TE in the 3rd? this guy better be the next coming or..........

so look..... we all want our team to succeed..... i'm just really curious how anyone is gonna gome up with a reasonable explanation for picking a TE in the 3rd rd when we have needs elsewhere.......

If you read the thread you'll get your "reasonable explanations".

We revolutionized the game with the pistol offense last year. Another recent revolution, started by New England, is running two deadly TE's at the same time. Why not take advantage of that too? I'm excited to see what we do with Reed. At what point do we start trusting the Shanahans?

And lmao at the post about the "OL being ignored for years". Good god man, did you just come out of a coma?

i felt that fs P thomas from fresno state would have been the better pick. and is the cb from NC st. better than the cb fromBoise state that went later to the Dolphins. Not from what i have been seeing and hearing for months.questionable picks so far.wouldn't Searinger been better (rated higher) and fill a higher need than the cb from Nc st. ?

Archived