Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

And if the team ever starts winning on the field (I think it'll happen in a couple years) Snyder will make back all that money plus extra. 

Which is irrelevant to the fact that it'll still cost money.

If he wasn't forced to change he wouldn't have to "make back" anything, let alone be left with "plus extra"

"STATEMENT FROM BRUCE ALLEN

I am surprised by the judge's decision to prevent us from presenting our evidence in an open trial. We look forward to winning on appeal after a fair and impartial review of the case. We are convinced that we will win because the facts and the law are on the side of our franchise that has proudly used the name Redskins for more than 80 years."

Why mention anything about this? No response would be better than yet another defense platform. I guess Luntz and the other big name PR heads aren't in Ashburn today. 

Why mention anything about this? No response would be better than yet another defense platform. I guess Luntz and the other big name PR heads aren't in Ashburn today. 

I'm just surprised Tony Wyllie isn't have a full meltdown right now on live radio. He's probably in the basement at redskins park tied up with a gag in his mouth so he doesn't go spouting some stupid **** like he usually does. He seriously might be the worst PR man in the business.

If the Redskins name is gone, I would just rather have a total franchise re-boot

Non native American based name (something like the Monuments, whatever) and new colors matching the rest of the city.

Make it a clean break.

The Walking Deadskins.

Kinda fits with our on-field persona. And our FO, come to think of it.

I like to imagine the team as the "Washington Monuments." 

Logo would be a big long Washington Monument flanked on either side by smaller pictures of the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorial.  All DC icons.  As I picture it in my mind, it could also look just like a big extended middle finger to the league or like a.... gentleman's accouterments.  

Really? Here's a couple off the top of my head...

Bell Atlantic > Verizon

Esso > Exxon

A couple from the world of sports

Houston Oilers > Tennessee Oilers > Tennessee Titans

Washington Bullets > Washington Wizards

New Orleans Hornets > New Orleans Pelicans

Were the Oilers, Bullets, and Hornets billion dollars corps?

The Exxon merger was the year I was born and yes I remember the Verizon merger, I would consider a merger a bit different than a re-branding.

If there was a name change it would create an interesting question for some. Are fan of the team or the town. 

I became a Washington Redskins fan because it was the home team and my ten year old mind said you are supposed to root for the home team. Luckily for me, that was when Gibbs came to the team and started winning Super Bowls. That cemented my love for the team. Plus, the few games I saw at RFK were awesome. Such a fun experience. At Fed Ex all too often the good time is at the tailgate only.

Regardless, I root for the Redskins, the Bullets/Wizards, the Caps, the Terps, Georgetown, the Nats and the Orioles (hey, they were Washington's only baseball team for a long, long time).

A name change probably wouldn't impact me much even though it would be sad. For out of towners though, I wonder if their connection would be different? Their loyalty to the team is more ephemeral. Is it based on loyalty, memories, something else? And is that something else tied to the "team" or the "Redskins"

A name change probably wouldn't impact me much even though it would be sad. For out of towners though, I wonder if their connection would be different? Their loyalty to the team is more ephemeral. Is it based on loyalty, memories, something else? And is that something else tied to the "team" or the "Redskins"

I'm from NC.  Been a Redskins fan my whole life, like many on here.  

I'll pull for the Skins no matter what they are called.  Personally, I don't care if we change the name.  I've never understood why there's so much animosity surrounding the issue.   

I'm from NC.  Been a Redskins fan my whole life, like many on here.  

I'll pull for the Skins no matter what they are called.  Personally, I don't care if we change the name.  I've never understood why there's so much animosity surrounding the issue.   

I can't speak for others, but for me, I have "so much animosity" towards the name change due to the fact that it is 100% complete bull**** to change the name, period.  If Snyder wanted to change the name because he was moving the team to Virginia, or because he really wanted to name the team after his favorite childhood pet, I would scratch my head, probably not like it, but I could deal with it.  Being forced to change the name because of some twisted, fascist PC agenda, which, by the way is currently breaking the law and constitution, not the name, has me ****ing pissed.  People getting raped should hold a lot of animosity towards raped and the rapists.  And, yes, this franchise is proverbially being raped by the PC crowd and overzealous liberal judges in this situation.

I think I go the other direction. If Snyder changed the name on a whim or after some soul searching like Polin did when he went from the Bullets to the Wiz I'd probably be grumpier about the decision than if Snyder fought tooth and nail to keep the name and tradition that goes with it, but lost.

I think I go the other direction. If Snyder changed the name on a whim or after some soul searching like Polin did when he went from the Bullets to the Wiz I'd probably be grumpier about the decision than if Snyder fought tooth and nail to keep the name and tradition that goes with it, but lost.

i'd be pissed either way.

it's who i'm pissed at that would change.

sorry but randomly deciding now that the name is racist (now being the last 20 years, when the franchise has been around for 80) is complete and utter bull****. it's political correctness and revisionist history. it's playing to the social justice warriors agenda.

which makes me even more mad. there's nothing actionable out of any of this. its purely for chest thumping purposes; for internet bragging.

not a single one of the people that constantly try to convince me how racist the redskins name is is going to do a god damned thing to help native americans when this is finally over.

not. one. single. person.

sorry but randomly deciding now that the name is racist (now being the last 20 years, when the franchise has been around for 80) is complete and utter bull****. it's political correctness and revisionist history. it's playing to the social justice warriors agenda.

which makes me even more mad. there's nothing actionable out of any of this. its purely for chest thumping purposes; for internet bragging.

not a single one of the people that constantly try to convince me how racist the redskins name is is going to do a god damned thing to help native americans when this is finally over.

yup, yup, and

YUP.

~Yup

How dare they be offended without my permission? 

If there was a name change it would create an interesting question for some. Are fan of the team or the town. 

I became a Washington Redskins fan because it was the home team and my ten year old mind said you are supposed to root for the home team. Luckily for me, that was when Gibbs came to the team and started winning Super Bowls. That cemented my love for the team. Plus, the few games I saw at RFK were awesome. Such a fun experience. At Fed Ex all too often the good time is at the tailgate only.

Regardless, I root for the Redskins, the Bullets/Wizards, the Caps, the Terps, Georgetown, the Nats and the Orioles (hey, they were Washington's only baseball team for a long, long time).

I'm not from DC and as you can probably tell am vehement about the name.

If it changed under these circumstances, I'm pretty much out.

Question my fanhood if you will. I attended 2 NFC Championship games at RFK. My father and I attended camps in Carlisle PA under Gibbs. I took my father and his wife along with my wife and 4 kids to Richmond in 2013. Every single one of us in Skins gear head to toe. Go to the Philly game every year at Linc. 

Skins are a part of my history. The word is not a racist term and I will not waver on that. If this world forces a change based on the reasons laid out by pro name changers- I'D BE SICKENED.

Yes, sickened to the point of burying the team out of spite. But, anyone here gonna refute my fandom, just save that post. I'm not from DC, but you won't find a fan more dedicted. In fact, I would wager to argue if you continue to support the team you need to question your own.

Hey, where's larry to call out larry for making up stuff other people didn't say?

True.  He did not imply that they were allowed to be offended, even if he gave them permission. 

My mistake.

sorry but randomly deciding now that the name is racist (now being the last 20 years, when the franchise has been around for 80) is complete and utter bull****.

Archived