Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

Watched the last Ascension episode. Pretty good science fiction that challenged without using the same tired dystopian future trope. Tons of imagery and symbolism too, maybe even a terminator reference at the end. They should make it a series, The world they built was more interesting than some other stuff on TV at the moment.

Really digging Sherlock right now. :)

Watched Acention but figured out their twist before the first hour was over. Still though, I wouldn't mind seeing it continue as a series.

Wait til you get to the end of "Season" 2. And then Season 3 was my favorite, especially episodes 3.1 & 3.2. 

If anyone is looking for a trippy scifi/cop Brit series, I would recommend Life on Mars (the BBC one). It's a total of 16 episodes over 2 years, but it's worth the journey.

Wait til you get to the end of "Season" 2. And then Season 3 was my favorite, especially episodes 3.1 & 3.2. 

If anyone is looking for a trippy scifi/cop Brit series, I would recommend Life on Mars (the BBC one). It's a total of 16 episodes over 2 years, but it's worth the journey.

Just finished Sherlock & I'm wishing there were more episodes already. Fantastic show. :)

I remember ABC did a US version of Life On Mars which I was into & then they cancelled it. ****ers :P

• Like 2

Concur with everyone that likes Marco Polo. Feels like Netflix's version of Vikings. Nice lyrical presentation of an expansionist, semi-legendary middle age culture with exotic settings and themes. Comparing the two, I'd say Marco Polo is livelier than Vikings, more ambitious, a little better written, and the performances are less wooden. But the staging and productions aren't quite as stunning and artful and it's probably not quite as tight.

The show does a good job keeping the plot moving and keeping tension high without getting cheap or tropey. Some of the cliffhanger montages they do at the end of episodes are fantastic. The settings (place and time) are so exotic that there is a lot of narrative leeway to be had--the show can depict some pretty extreme things without stretching credulity. And it doesn't feel like there are too many obvious plot holes over the course of an episode, and when they do pop up, it's not really that bothersome.

The show is not perfect, but it's very well done and it's pulled me in and got me binge-watching. It's comfortable depicting some pretty sensational elements of East Asian cultures from that period in history in a naturalistic way. Admittedly, there are times when the show engages in some Orientalism, but it's so well-styled and intelligently presented that it doesn't actually feel racist or clumsy.

The actor who plays the "cricket minister" Jidao is incredible. And I really liked the actor who played Kublai's brother Ariq. That is an authentic Mongolian accent, it sounds awesome. I also like that Marco's actor is an actual Italian. Getting properly ethnic actors to cast the show is really important to getting the look and feel right for an American audience. I dislike when shows and movies just have every foreign person speak with a British accent. It dumbs the presentation down so much. This show certainly isn't dumb.

• Like 1

So I just finished up BBC/STARZ 8 episode miniseries "The Missing"

Absolutely fantastic. No wonder it was nominated for best miniseries and best actor in a series.

8 year old child is kidnapped in France, and the dad and retired investigator follow clues all over the country to find the boy. It gets REALLY dark. Amazing show!!!

Been watching The Librarians in TNT. Not bad. Kind of a Warehouse 13 feel to it.

Actually, WH13 kind of had a  "The Librarians" feel to it since the first "Librarian" movie came out in 2004; long before WH13.

I like that it has become a series and you will get an occasional appearance by the movies' Librarian Noah Wylie.

Actually, WH13 kind of had a "The Librarians" feel to it since the first "Librarian" movie came out in 2004; long before WH13.

I like that it has become a series and you will get an occasional appearance by the movies' Librarian Noah Wylie.

True. And I watched all those movies when they came out. I wish Wylie was a main character every week.

..and both were heavily influenced by the X-Files and the Friday the 13th tv series.

I'm willing to give the Librarians a full season..but if it doesn't progress beyond the total cheese, I'm not sure if I will watch. 

Not convinced that Rebecca Romijn can pull off a bodyguard role..but she did kick ass as Mystique. And she still looks fine

okay, i'm done.  But man, at least one of you people have to watch this show so we can discuss.  I have questions, damn it!  The entire series is only 8 episodes, you can knock it out in a few days!!

0.jpg

This is one of the year’s very best TV programs, hard as it sometimes is to endure.

Reviewed by: Alessandra Stanley
Nov 13, 2014
The Missing is imaginatively written, well cast, chillingly believable and quite addictive.

Reviewed by: Matt Roush
Nov 14, 2014

Definitely one of the best shows of the year!! Compelling, well-acted and exceptionally well conceived plot!
The characters are always evolving in every episodes and you can never know what is gonna happen!! Amazing

The Missing, an eight-hour thriller coming to Starz on Saturday, is so tantalizing and haunting that it qualifies as a must-see, even for viewers who might be suffering from serial crime fatigue.

ErikTheRed

Dec 21, 2014
Exceptional drama. It hits on all levels, dealing with response to tragedy and loss, interpersonal dynamics, intricate plot sequences, andExceptional drama. It hits on all levels, dealing with response to tragedy and loss, interpersonal dynamics, intricate plot sequences, and character development. I cannot imaging a more deeply involving experience than provided by this series.

Edited by Chew

I'm willing to give the Librarians a full season..but if it doesn't progress beyond the total cheese, I'm not sure if I will watch.

Not convinced that Rebecca Romijn can pull off a bodyguard role..but she did kick ass as Mystique. And she still looks fine.

Yeah they are over doing the cheesy stuff and Romijn is gorgeous but not convincing as a bad ass at all. I'm all for women being given non traditional roles but if they are supposed to be warriors they shouldn't be thin models that obviously aren't threatening. There are some tough hard working women out there that would probably appreciate the work.

Also they need to ditch the CGI thought process graphics with the redhead. It's a waste of budget dollars that adds nothing.

Edited by Destino

Finally got around to watching Ascension, but I'm not sure what to make of it.
It was pretty and entertaining, but the plot was mostly nonsense, the acting was inconsistent, and they went with the overused Sci Fi

Starchild

gimmick. UGH!  Still it was kind of fun at times and the characters were interesting. It did feel kind of like a waste of time by the end though.

Edited by visionary

Finally got around to watching Ascension, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

It was pretty and entertaining, but the plot was mostly nonsense, the acting was inconsistent, and they went with the overused Sci Fi

Starchild

gimmick. UGH!  Still it was kind of fun at times and the characters were interesting. It did feel kind of like a waste of time by the end though.

I liked it.  I power watched it this past Saturday.  I thought the ending was good, sets up a possible regular series, or multiple additional mini-series/TV movie opportunities.  

I liked it.  I power watched it this past Saturday.  I thought the ending was good, sets up a possible regular series, or multiple additional mini-series/TV movie opportunities.  

I read somewhere that Sy Fy meant to make it into a series, but bailed on it and decided to use it as a stop gap for their other programming.

Not sure if that's true, but maybe they might change their minds if enough people liked it.  

I think the response has probably been somewhat mixed so far (from looking through the IMDB message board and talking to others who watched it)

At lot of people complained about the ending and the girl's acting, and the unbelievability of the show.  

But it definitely created a lot of hype and interest in it and the channel, and a lot of folks watched it.

Edited by visionary

I read somewhere that Sy Fy meant to make it into a series, but bailed on it and decided to use it as a stop gap for their other programming.

Not sure if that's true, but maybe they might change their minds if enough people liked it.  

I think the response has probably been somewhat mixed so far (from looking through the IMDB message board and talking to others who watched it)

At lot of people complained about the ending and the girl's acting, and the unbelievability of the show.  

But it definitely created a lot of hype and interest in it and the channel, and a lot of folks watched it.

I haven't read any forums on it yet.  Curious, what were they complaining about the unbelievability?  It's called ascension and it involves a girl that has risen to a higher level of ability than your every day human being.

Plus it's Sci-fi lol.  The acting, well, it is what it is.  I'd like to see it continue.

I haven't read any forums on it yet.  Curious, what were they complaining about the unbelievability?  It's called ascension and it involves a girl that has risen to a higher level of ability than your every day human being.

Plus it's Sci-fi lol.  The acting, well, it is what it is.  I'd like to see it continue.

I saw a lot of people complaining about the science and how it doesn't make sense and stuff like that (I don't know enough about that to find too much fault myself), but also the more obvious issue that this thing has gone on for 50 years and no one noticed that they aren't in space or on a ship.  Pretty silly and somewhat grating to have to be constantly reminded of considering that's one of the main story-lines (if not the main one) in the show.

If it does come back on as a real series or another mini, I do kind of want to see what they do next though, lol.

And there were a lot of hot girls...which does tend to smooth over some of the other wrinkles.  

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1