Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

I love me some Shameless but man has it fallen into the "we need to keep getting more ridiculous with these storylines every season" pitfalls of a long running series.  

I knew the whole Debbie teen-mom storyline was a disaster from the start, it was handled so poorly in it's execution and now it seems like the baby is never even around out of convenience to the show.  Not to mention her character overall has become pretty self-righteous and unbelievable.

That is just the beginning, not looking to do a run down of every character just yet at the risk of ending up just ranting to myself. Haha.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I love me some Shameless but man has it fallen into the "we need to keep getting more ridiculous with these storylines every season" pitfalls of a long running series.  

I knew the whole Debbie teen-mom storyline was a disaster from the start, it was handled so poorly in it's execution and now it seems like the baby is never even around out of convenience to the show.  Not to mention her character overall has become pretty self-righteous and unbelievable.

That is just the beginning, not looking to do a run down of every character just yet at the risk of ending up just ranting to myself. Haha.

Yeah, man.  Debbs was annoying as hell last night.  The last few seasons have felt forced and the story lines are just too whacky at this point.  It could've ended after Season 7 when they saved Fiona from marrying the hair-on addict and threw Frank in the river. 

Like many shows that go too long, especially dramas, each of the main characters have so many of their own side stories splintered off that you rarely see the core group of main characters together on screen anymore. Carl's storyline is pointless, Debbs brings very little at this point.  At least they sent Ian off to jail (he's done with the show).  My favorite characters Kev and V don't contribute much anymore either.  V and Fiona don't even get nekkid anymore these days :( 

Seasons 3 & 4 were the best when Joan Cusack was screwing around with Frank and all the kids were still living in the house. 

5 minutes ago, Chew said:

Yeah, man.  Debbs was annoying as hell last night.  The last few seasons have felt forced and the story lines are just too whacky at this point.  It could've ended after Season 7 when they saved Fiona from marrying the hair-on addict and threw Frank in the river. 

Like many shows that go too long, especially dramas, each of the main characters have so many of their own side stories splintered off that you rarely see the core group of main characters together on screen anymore. Carl's storyline is pointless, Debbs brings very little at this point.  At least they sent Ian off to jail (he's done with the show).  My favorite characters Kev and V don't contribute much anymore either.  V and Fiona don't even get nekkid anymore these days :( 

Seasons 3 & 4 were the best when Joan Cusack was screwing around with Frank and all the kids were still living in the house. 

Yeah it's interesting to me that Debbs just unilaterally decided she was the new head of the household out of nowhere and everyone just kind of back downed and following it.  Changing the locks?  Demanding people give her money, even the minors?  What exactly was she contributing to help Fiona was forced into being the "Mom" of the family?  It just makes zero sense or Debbs has no self awareness. 

I know Shameless has always had a touch of the absurd, and that is what made it so fun for a handful of seasons, but it is getting so out of hand. 

• Thanks 1

Anyone else watching the new True detective? Finally just watched last nights episode and it was AWESOME. The best episode so far 

On 1/28/2019 at 4:23 PM, Chachie said:

I started "Kingdom" on Netflix yesterday. Basic plot line (so far): Zombies in ancient China. I'm digging it!

Sounds pretty good, might have to check it out 

• Like 4

Just now, max21 said:

Anyone else watching the new True detective? Finally just watched last nights episode and it was AWESOME. The best episode so far 

Couldn't really get past like the first episode of season 2. Definitely feeling this season. I'm really liking everything outside of the show too. Discussions and fan theories. People on the internet make me realize that I'm not a good detective.

• Like 1

Having a really hard time watching the Ted Bundy documentary on Netflix.  As hateful as Ted Bundy was, the thing that is really pissing me off is how god damn stupid the police investigating his crimes were.  He should have never been able to leave Washington.  Their incompetence got a lot of people killed.

Still can't get over how angry the Ted Bundy Tapes documentary makes me.  The footage of sycophantic, cloying softball media interviews of Ted Bundy make me want to puke.  It's like **** he cut the heads off of countless women and ****ed their corpses for months until they were too eaten up and rotted away to violate any more and you're asking him how he feels and letting him whine on camera about being cooped up in jail?  They gladly coddled him and fed his narcissism.  He needed to have that **** eating face punched hard until he stopped moving.

The sheer ****ing stupidity of the police in Washington, Utah, and especially Colorado fills me with rage.  They do not come off looking well, even with 50 years to reflect on the mistakes they made.  Their incompetence got lots of girls killed.  Also where the Hell was the FBI in this debacle of law enforcement?  Too busy spying on liberals and civil rights leaders I guess.  I come away from watching this with the impression that 80% of the work force of the 1970's were morons who were absolutely unqualified for their jobs by today's standard.

The documentary series coddles and romanticizes Bundy too.  They go way too far in trying to humanize him and are too sympathetic to him.  Way too much candid photography of him, way too little focus on his victims and the details of his utterly heinous crimes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For those that watch Big Mouth, they are doing a Valentines episode Friday, February 8 on Netflix.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The documentary series coddles and romanticizes Bundy too.  They go way too far in trying to humanize him and are too sympathetic to him.  Way too much candid photography of him, way too little focus on his victims and the details of his utterly heinous crimes.

I was thinking of watching this, maybe not.

13 hours ago, max21 said:

Sounds pretty good, might have to check it out 

Im a few episodes behind season 3, but it's awesome.  I havent watched the other two yet but need to soon.

23 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I was thinking of watching this, maybe not. 

I don't think it's worth it.  I don't like the romanticization of monsters who exploited the incompetence of law enforcement and preyed on the weak to commit acts of unspeakable atrocity like Bundy.  It's a gross documentary.  I've already heard a thousand times over how handsome and clever he was, continuing to fixate on that seems vile.  For me the only new light it shed on the subject was getting to hear what booger eating morons most of the cops who were investigating him were in their own words.  Every time I saw one nervously chuckle off their failure or proffer some lame ass excuse about the technology of the day or make light of the situation or euphemistically downplay what was happening, I wanted to reach through time and space and my TV screen and strangle them.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

Since there are only 8 episodes, we've decided wait until True Detective is over and then binge the entire thing over a weekend.  Like one long ass movie. 

I'm one of those people that has to watch every episode of a show a soon as it airs and the week to week cliffhangers gut me.  This is our first time ever waiting for a season to end and just watching the whole thing at once. Surprisingly, it's been a lot easier than I thought. 

Walking Dead is back this Sunday.  :wacko:

BET is rebooting the Eddie Murphy classic "Boomerang" into a series about young black professionals in the early 90s. 

• Like 2

@stevemcqueen1 good post. 

It did stand out to me how often we heard "it was the 70s and we didn't have..."

It's almost like they felt like their job was to collect the evidence and keep records, but they had no chance to find this guy. That isn't to minimize how difficult I'm sure it is. It just would have been nice to see some of them a little more remorseful about failing...even if succeeding would have been extraordinarily difficult. 

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It's almost like they felt like their job was to collect the evidence and keep records, but they had no chance to find this guy. That isn't to minimize how difficult I'm sure it is. It just would have been nice to see some of them a little more remorseful about failing...even if succeeding would have been extraordinarily difficult.  

At more than one point they openly admitted that their mindset was to wait until he killed again and hope for some evidence the next time.

They had him in custody and he escaped twice.  And killed at least three more people after doing so.  The deaths of those girls in Florida are on the hands of the police in Colorado and they showed zero recognition of this fact, or remorse about it.

But I don't even think it was that hard to investigate him before he left Washington.  The police had his name.  They had his car.  They had knowledge that he was scoping out Lake Sammamish the weekend before he kidnapped and murdered those two girls from there.  They knew he had no alibi for the time of the crime.  They even had his girlfriend come forward and tell them that he scared her and that he liked to follow strange young girls to their homes and oh yeah he keeps this weird bag full of women's underwear and a bowl full of strange housekeys in his home.  But because a bunch of idiot witnesses didn't think the weird old picture of him that the police had looked like the guy they saw talking to the victims, they just stopped investigating him?  They never interviewed him.  They never tried to search his property, including the car?  They never properly surveilled him?  He was their prime suspect and they let him abruptly leave the state and they never thought to inform the FBI or law enforcement in Utah what they knew about him?

The Florida police who finally dealt with him are just about the only ones who come out looking good in the documentary.  The highway patrol from the panhandle who stopped him and arrested him is a hero.

It's depressing to think about how easy it is for clever and careful monsters to get away with murder in America.

It's sickening to see how many people are so worshipful of Ted Bundy.  And I think this includes the director of that documentary series.  I think he is low key the same as one of those ****ing loons who sent love letters to Bundy in prison and is trying not to show it too hard.  This series feels like his love letter to him.  There isn't a chance in Hell I'll watch the Zac Efron movie he made about him.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Im a few episodes behind season 3, but it's awesome.  I havent watched the other two yet but need to soon.

Season one is incredible and season 3 has referenced that case a couple times so they might be tied together.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

At more than one point they openly admitted that their mindset was to wait until he killed again and hope for some evidence the next time.

They had him in custody and he escaped twice.  And killed at least three more people after doing so.  The deaths of those girls in Florida are on the hands of the police in Colorado and they showed zero recognition of this fact, or remorse about it.

But I don't even think it was that hard to investigate him before he left Washington.  The police had his name.  They had his car.  They had knowledge that he was scoping out Lake Sammamish the weekend before he kidnapped and murdered those two girls from there.  They knew he had no alibi for the time of the crime.  They even had his girlfriend come forward and tell them that he scared her and that he liked to follow strange young girls to their homes and oh yeah he keeps this weird bag full of women's underwear and a bowl full of strange housekeys in his home.  But because a bunch of idiot witnesses didn't think the weird old picture of him that the police had looked like the guy they saw talking to the victims, they just stopped investigating him?  They never interviewed him.  They never tried to search his property, including the car?  They never properly surveilled him?  He was their prime suspect and they let him abruptly leave the state and they never thought to inform the FBI or law enforcement in Utah what they knew about him?

The Florida police who finally dealt with him are just about the only ones who come out looking good in the documentary.  The highway patrol from the panhandle who stopped him and arrested him is a hero.

It's depressing to think about how easy it is for clever and careful monsters to get away with murder in America.

It's sickening to see how many people are so worshipful of Ted Bundy.  And I think this includes the director of that documentary series.  I think he is low key the same as one of those ****ing loons who sent love letters to Bundy in prison and is trying not to show it too hard.  This series feels like his love letter to him.  There isn't a chance in Hell I'll watch the Zac Efron movie he made about him.

There was a scene where they interview someone when he jumped out the window and escaped...the guys was openly smiling and making light of him getting away. Laughing as he answered questions. I couldn't believe it...they seemed to treat it almost like a cartoon bad guy where he could get away and nothing really all that bad would happen as a result! "Curses...that pesky Ted got away again, the little sneak!"

• Like 1

I thought the Ted Bundy documentary was pretty good, minus the romanticizing, but not anything special.  Way too much hype around it and the second I was reading articles about how terrifying it was and the "don't watch it alone" BS I knew it was just going to be good and nothing more.  Having just general knowledge about him (knowing he was a serial killer and sick twisted **** that was executed in 89), I did find it interesting enough to watch the entire documentary.

The complete total **** up by the Colorado police was disturbing, no shackles or cuffs, no officers paying strict attention to him at all times, shadowing him, etc.  Allowing him to escape by jumping out of 2nd story window.  I thought the 2nd escape was just crazy, had no idea that the jail furloughed non-violent criminals during holidays so they could see their families, resulting in less staff.  

I have no desire to watch the movie coming out.  Did just read that Netflix is trying to buy the movie and release it in the fall of 2019.  It is supposed to be from the perspective of his former girlfriend, but I don't see it not overly romanticizing him, which would turn me off.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chew said:

Since there are only 8 episodes, we've decided wait until True Detective is over and then binge the entire thing over a weekend.  Like one long ass movie. 

I'm one of those people that has to watch every episode of a show a soon as it airs and the week to week cliffhangers gut me.  This is our first time ever waiting for a season to end and just watching the whole thing at once. Surprisingly, it's been a lot easier than I thought. 

Walking Dead is back this Sunday.  :wacko:

BET is rebooting the Eddie Murphy classic "Boomerang" into a series about young black professionals in the early 90s. 

Do you watch Game of thrones? I don’t think it would be possible to wait for an entire season to be able to binge it at the end. But I agree it’s awesome if you’re able to watch it all in a marathon.