Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins agree to terms with cornerback E.J. Biggers

RedskinsFanInTX

You had mentioned him as well right before it and I do recall you all offseason talking about him. Don't sell yourself short, it was a good call. ;)

Hey I think I had some positive reports from one of my Training Camp thread reports.

Can I get an "Atta-boy!" too?

:)

Okay. You've succeeded. I'm confused.

Why are you confused? :-) My statement only meant that I don't have to see him play to consider him an upgrade over Josh Wilson. So with that bro, I think D. Hall is a better CB than Josh Wilson which was the reason why I said I don't know if he's an upgrade over Hall. I would've made that same statement if it was ANY CB over Josh Wilson.

That's one way of looking at it. Another is that we found a decent slot guy (a specific area of need) at a good price. He is a very different player from Hall and will serve a different purpose on the field, if he sees it at all. We did not trade down.

I agree that getting Hall back on the cheap would be ideal, of course.

I just have a problem with cutting our #1 CB and signing a #3. Im fine with it, if we plan to get hall back. Which, I have wondered all along if that was the master plan. Maybe they told him they were going to cut him, stay on the low down, we are going to resign/restructure your contract to a cap friendly one for this year, but you will get paid, kinda behind the scenes thing. I hope that is the case. It just seemed odd that he wanted to play here, wanted to restructure his contract to do so, but we never heard a word about anyone doing anything. Then we cut him, and magically, his name has not come up at all on any mainstream media outlets about being targeted by other teams.

Hall is a very good CB and could contribute to other teams, I think there is a gentlemans agreement between him and the Skins and he will be back in the burgundy/gold next year.

Fact check, http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=2012&seasonType=REG&Submit=Go

Redskins D was the fifth rated Defense against the run,

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 82.5

2. Pittsburgh Steelers 90.6

3. Denver Broncos 91.1

4. San Francisco 49ers 94.2

5. Washington Redskins 95.8

-thankfully the secondary really helped the D at the LOS and layed off the deep pass (SM)

I prefer YPC when rating run defense. Believe they finished middle of the pack (17th?) in this categoey. I'm guessing teams ran less against the 'Skins because of a lack of pass rush and a porous secondary. Perhaps teams also considered us a run-first team that would struggle to play catchup (and put more pressure on our rookie QB).

Good news is that Haz raved about Carriker's run-stopping. Coupled with Nield returning and Jenkins likely improving, the run D should improve further.

Hall is a very good CB and could contribute to other teams, I think there is a gentlemans agreement between him and the Skins and he will be back in the burgundy/gold next year.

In the words of Randy Moss. Straight Cash Homie.

There is no gentlemans agreement. It's all about SCH.

I just have a problem with cutting our #1 CB and signing a #3. Im fine with it, if we plan to get hall back. Which, I have wondered all along if that was the master plan. Maybe they told him they were going to cut him, stay on the low down, we are going to resign/restructure your contract to a cap friendly one for this year, but you will get paid, kinda behind the scenes thing. I hope that is the case. It just seemed odd that he wanted to play here, wanted to restructure his contract to do so, but we never heard a word about anyone doing anything. Then we cut him, and magically, his name has not come up at all on any mainstream media outlets about being targeted by other teams.

What on earth is your basis for this assumption?

You best hope to God that Hall and the Redskins don't have an under the table contract in the works that pays him outside the salary cap. That's completely illegal and if you think for one ****ing second that when they find out (because there's no way in hell you can pay someone millions and for it to be off the books...See TAX RETURNS...BANK STATEMENTS...) Does Snyder have $4,000,000 laying around in cash for Hall for this very occasion? I'm sorry dude, this is completely illogical. Hall is not WORTH risking the entire organizations health. All the NFL would do is REATTACH that same ****ing cap hit which we're paying for right now OFF OF HALL'S CONTRACT.

So what the ****!?

Secondly, what kind of thinking is "I just have a problem with cutting our #1 CB and signing a #3" ....

So if I dumped my girlfriend for Tom Brady's #3 best girlfriend am I losing out? Probably not. DeAngelo Hall cost a lot of money, in fact he's costing DOUBLE including his contracts penalty against us. He's played well for us and he's also played like a piece of **** at times. I like Hall, but he's not a #1 in every defense. We needed Biggers, because we needed a proper CB depth. Guess what? We have 3 of our 4 CB positions accounted for. With 7 draft picks coming up, and a very inexpensive and deep DB market, I think you need to really calm down. We also have a recovering

Of course Hall wanted to stay here, play here, and restructure - he KNEW he was on the outs. Professionally, why would you burn a bridge? There was NO option for Hall to restructure an $8,000,000 cap figure, it's just not possible with our situation.

Besides which, for the last two years Hall has not been a very good corner. Best proof of that is that he hasn't been scooped up. Very good corners don't last long in the market. Even if the Redskins had a handshake deal that they would try to bring him back after clearing some cash at some point... Someone would have tempted him with a lot of green and unless Hall is the most loyal guy in the world the fact the fact that he's not making tours right now indicates what the NFL thinks of him.

Right now, his name is bigger than his value. I'm happy if he comes back, but he's not elite, not great, and may not even be very good. It is hard to tell because of the horrific safety play and poor pass rush, but even when we had a good pass rush two years ago, he wasn't that great.

Besides which, for the last two years Hall has not been a very good corner. Best proof of that is that he hasn't been scooped up. Very good corners don't last long in the market. Even if the Redskins had a handshake deal that they would try to bring him back after clearing some cash at some point... Someone would have tempted him with a lot of green and unless Hall is the most loyal guy in the world the fact the fact that he's not making tours right now indicates what the NFL thinks of him.

Right now, his name is bigger than his value. I'm happy if he comes back, but he's not elite, not great, and may not even be very good. It is hard to tell because of the horrific safety play and poor pass rush, but even when we had a good pass rush two years ago, he wasn't that great.

What do you think about bringing in Winfield vs. Hall?

Not sure. I haven't really studied Winfield the way I do our own guys and in full disclosure generally, my studying of our guys consists of watching each game most on tv and a few from the stands and reading what is written here.

I like Hall's fire, I even like his big play desire, but as I said earlier... right now, he's a gambler on a big losing streak who keeps doubling down trying to get back to even. Too often, it seems he doesn't play smart (or he's being let down by teammates a lot), but even then, if they constantly let you down wouldn't that force you to adjust and maybe make a few different choices in being conservative vs. aggressive?

I think Hall can be a good corner, but too often plays with emotion over intelligence.

Why are you confused? :-) My statement only meant that I don't have to see him play to consider him an upgrade over Josh Wilson. So with that bro, I think D. Hall is a better CB than Josh Wilson which was the reason why I said I don't know if he's an upgrade over Hall. I would've made that same statement if it was ANY CB over Josh Wilson.

You're kind of stretching it a bit, huh?

You're kind of stretching it a bit, huh?

Why would that statement be stretching it? That's my opinion, just like you have yours. I've seen Josh Wilson play enough to have my own personal opinion. Just like it's your opinion and right to feel otherwise. I respect that. But look at Josh Wilson stats next to EJ Biggers and tell me what you think. Look where Josh Wilson ranks among ALL CB's around the league. Just saying.

---------- Post added March-22nd-2013 at 09:04 AM ----------

And this is why your statement is not to be taken seriously. Any?

Whether you take my statement seriously or not, is your choice. That's my opinion of Josh Wilson. If you like him, cool. That's your right. I don't . He's a great person and a high character guy, but not a good CB in my own opinion.

Whether you take my statement seriously or not, is your choice. That's my opinion of Josh Wilson. If you like him, cool. That's your right. I don't . He's a great person and a high character guy, but not a good CB in my own opinion.

Your entitled to your opinion - but it would carry more weight if backed by some analysis and not just a blanket statement especially one as silly as ANY other CB. That might have just been hyperbole but still .....

Why would that statement be stretching it? That's my opinion, just like you have yours. I've seen Josh Wilson play enough to have my own personal opinion. Just like it's your opinion and right to feel otherwise. I respect that. But look at Josh Wilson stats next to EJ Biggers and tell me what you think. Look where Josh Wilson ranks among ALL CB's around the league. Just saying.

Because despite the allowance of opinions, which I do respect, I can't even fathom how you'd believe that ANYONE is an upgrade over Josh Wilson. It's an absurd statement. You're essentially saying he's the worst cornerback in the world with the term anyone. It's non sense.

I admit that I cursed at Josh Wilson a few times last year when he appears to have gotten burned but such is the life of a CB.

I do not nor do I have the time to go to sites and or analyze all the plays from last year to see his grade but I will mention that Dan Graziano, NFC East Blogger for the 4 letter, had him on his weekly all NFC East team a lot last year, which would seem to suggest he was one of the better cornerbacks in the NFC East.

People may not respect Dan G's opinion but I figure it is his job to look closer at performance than I do.

Because despite the allowance of opinions, which I do respect, I can't even fathom how you'd believe that ANYONE is an upgrade over Josh Wilson. It's an absurd statement. You're essentially saying he's the worst cornerback in the world with the term anyone. It's non sense.

Seriously.

The fact that Hall hasnt signed anywhere doesn't mean much. Take a look at this free agent market, it's happening everywhere. Teams are strapped for cap room and the trend is shifting away from guys like DHall to developing younger talent....that also isnt a proven headcase :P

For those reasons, if we can keep Dhall at a reasonable $, it'll be a huge win for us.

Why would that statement be stretching it? That's my opinion, just like you have yours. I've seen Josh Wilson play enough to have my own personal opinion. Just like it's your opinion and right to feel otherwise. I respect that. But look at Josh Wilson stats next to EJ Biggers and tell me what you think. Look where Josh Wilson ranks among ALL CB's around the league. Just saying.but not a good CB in my own opinion.

red, what are you using with regards to ranks? what stats are you talking about? INT's? passes defensed? catches and yards given up?

Hopefully this guy can be to us what Carlos Rogers was for the 49ers.. Someone who can shed the stigmas from their former team and just play to his potential!

That would be nice, but there isn't much evidence to support that notion. Los was a Jim Thorpe award winner, back to back All-American, a finalist for the Bronco Nagursky award, a semi finalist for the Bednarick award, and a 1st round draft pick in the NFL. The guy is a talented, top tier corner no matter what people think about his hands.

Biggers wasn't even all-Mac. I'm not saying there's no hope for the guy, or that college accolades are the only way to judge NFL talent, but EJ certainly does not have the pedigree or apparently the same level of talent as that of Carlos Rogers.

Rogers was also an NFL All-Pro.

Archived