Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins agree to terms with cornerback E.J. Biggers

RedskinsFanInTX

http://www.nfl.com/player/e.j.biggers/238489/draft

Selected By: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Round: 7

Pick (Overall): 8 (217)

Pick Analysis: There's no question Biggers is a good athlete. The Miami native was named Dade County Player of the Year in high school, which is awarded to the best player in the talent-rich region.

However, defensive back/quarterback wasn't heavily recruited in-state, and considered Kansas, Iowa, Ohio State and Penn State before final choosing Western Michigan over Kansas.

Biggers intercepted seven passes in 46 games for Western Michigan, adding 136 tackles and 19 passes defensed overall.

After finishing his Broncos career, Biggers returned to South Florida to train in Davie, Fla. with Western Michigan teammate Louis Delmas.

"Finishing up the season I knew I was going to have to work out and work hard to get ready for these drills," Biggers told the Kalamazoo Gazette after his March pro day. "The film shows a lot, but you also want to work out in the eye of the coaches. You want to look good in front of them because a lot of coaches haven't been to games this year and sometimes they probably weren't even paying attention to who you were. You come out here, people know who you are because you are singled out more."

The problem he faces making an NFL roster is excelling at one position. He's very fast and a willing tackler at 6-feet, but lacks the technique right now to hang with NFL receivers. And a switch to safety would be difficult on his lanky build.

Biggers will need to make an early impression on special teams until it's determined if he can make it as an NFL corner or safety.

Will be only 26, with 4 years of NFL experience (though no stats for 2009, not sure if injury or just no playing time because he was a 7th round pick). Plus the Raheem/Tampa connection is there.

At worst, competition/camp fodder. At best, a cheap upgrade to our DB corps.

This is bad. Morris seems to want to bring all of his former players to DC. Talib had an altercation with in London and they tried to bring him in. Biggers was on a team with a pass defense worse than the Skins. This signing is a step backwards.

This is bad. Morris seems to want to bring all of his former players to DC. Talib had an altercation with in London and they tried to bring him in. Biggers was on a team with a pass defense worse than the Skins. This signing is a step backwards.

Biggers had an altercation with Talib in London? Or Morris?

He'll compete for a spot on the roster... he may(not) be the starter. Maybe a nickel if they don't have Cedric ??? back

From Rotoworld - (don't be too quick to judge negatively!)

It's an underrated get for the cap-strapped Redskins. The 6'0/185 Biggers was the lone bright spot in Tampa's rancid secondary last season, grading out as a top-20 coverage corner according to ProFootballFocus. There's also a familiarity in the scheme as former Bucs head coach and current Redskins secondary coach Raheem Morris was with Biggers for his first two NFL seasons. Still just 25 years old, the 2009 seventh-round pick has 24 career starts under his belt. If the Redskins don't re-sign free agent DeAngelo Hall, Biggers could be penciled in at left corner

We dont really have any other choice but to sign a guy like this, who will possibly start week 1. It seems unrealistic to start our 2nd round corner day 1 so this guy will likely be the starter and let our 2nd rounder come in on nickel or dime packages and just learn, and possibly start later in teh season

We dont really have any other choice but to sign a guy like this, who will possibly start week 1. It seems unrealistic to start our 2nd round corner day 1 so this guy will likely be the starter and let our 2nd rounder come in on nickel or dime packages and just learn, and possibly start later in teh season

Signing Biggers means we'll probably go with a safety in round 2.

Signing Biggers means we'll probably go with a safety in round 2.

I don't think that necessarily follows. Sure there is still a good chance we select DB in round 2. But there is also a good chance we go BPA and get lucky that man fills a need somewhere on the roster. I dont see CB or Safety as a lock in round 2.

Well, just turned on my Madden 13 just to see how Biggers was rated in the game. ( Objectivity?) The things I liked about him were the speed/acceleration however the things I didn't like were his catching ability and tackling. So I don't expect alot of ints for this guy or making those tackles that DeAngelo used to make. But hopefully, he can have alot of passes defended to help expedite the offense getting off the field on 3rd down.

Well, just turned on my Madden 13 just to see how Biggers was rated in the game. ( Objectivity?) The things I liked about him were the speed/acceleration however the things I didn't like were his catching ability and tackling. So I don't expect alot of ints for this guy or making those tackles that DeAngelo used to make. But hopefully, he can have alot of passes defended to help expedite the offense getting off the field on 3rd down.

The sad thing is, I don't know if this is a serious post because it has become a normal type posting around here

The sad thing is, I don't know if this is a serious post because it has become a normal type posting around here

I was just trying to get a feel for this guy because besides from the 1 highlight link someone put up, what else do we have to go on? Its not like anyone has ever paid attention to this guy before we cut DeAngelo. You probably guessed I play Madden alot but I know a downgrade when I see one.

Considering our cap situation and needs, this is a *great* signing. Decent size, good experience, great speed - cheap.

As for our second round pick, our three biggest needs are corner, safety, and OL. I would expect our pick to be the best available talent at one of these positions with OL being the lowest priority of the three considering just how bad our pass defense was last year.

Archived