Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins agree to terms with cornerback E.J. Biggers

RedskinsFanInTX

I think you make some great points in the para above and it points to why it's very very hard to grade corners and indeed safeties without knowing exactly what coverage was called and what the coverage rules are in that situation which can vary from team to team to some extent. Even sites which spend a lot of time doing break downs and rankings like PFF suffer from this. Add in the variability of pass rush and play calling and it why I take grades and rankings given by these sites with a big pinch of salt.

Watching yourself is the best grade and even then you have to accept you might not know what your looking at given as Red points out well without knowing what the coverage call actually was.

martin,

what do you think of football outsiders? do you think they are better or worse or about the same as PFF? also, do you think there is a decent, non biased source that rates DB's and other players?

martin,

what do you think of football outsiders? do you think they are better or worse or about the same as PFF? also, do you think there is a decent, non biased source that rates DB's and other players?

I like Football Outsiders and I prefer them to PFF. I think there DVOA stats are very useful in looking at teams performance but less useful when ranking individual players - even they admit they are far from being able to rate or rank players independently from their teammates because of the dependancy of an individual players performance on how successfully his team mates carry out their assignments.

I think its really really hard for any site to rate individual players because as we have been batting around for a few posts now without REALLY knowing what was supposed to happen on a given play it almost impossible. The teams can do a really good job ranking and rating their own players because they do know what was supposed to happen but even they struggle ranking free agents and draft picks because they dont have all the information and its hard to separate a players performance from his teammates and project how he will perform in a new situation and even scheme.

I think sites like Football Outsiders and PFF are useful in helping to confirm or question what you see with your own eyes but they should not be taken as in any way definitive.

---------- Post added March-25th-2013 at 11:02 AM ----------

Had to be why... I was 5'8" 165 my senior year of high school and I played on the OL and started most of the year until opposing defenses lined up a 320 lb nose on me and blitzed the opposite A-Gap :ols: ****s.

I'm 5'11'' 165 right now which is almost exactly the same weight I played QB into my mid 20's here in the UK. Mind you the weight is in different places now....

I have seen a few comments like this in various threads about Josh Wilson and I just dont get it. I thought he played well last year - not All Pro my God thats the next Champ Bailey well - but certainly good starting NFL corner well. I've re watched some of the all 22 coverage I still have access to as well and my view has not changed - Wilson had a solid year.

That's message boards for you....tons of wanna be GMs talking about how XXXX player is the worst at his position in the entire NFL. It's like Skip Bayless on steroids....

I like Football Outsiders and I prefer them to PFF. I think there DVOA stats are very useful in looking at teams performance but less useful when ranking individual players - even they admit they are far from being able to rate or rank players independently from their teammates because of the dependancy of an individual players performance on how successfully his team mates carry out their assignments.

I think its really really hard for any site to rate individual players because as we have been batting around for a few posts now without REALLY knowing what was supposed to happen on a given play it almost impossible. The teams can do a really good job ranking and rating their own players because they do know what was supposed to happen but even they struggle ranking free agents and draft picks because they dont have all the information and its hard to separate a players performance from his teammates and project how he will perform in a new situation and even scheme.

I think sites like Football Outsiders and PFF are useful in helping to confirm or question what you see with your own eyes but they should not be taken as in any way definitive.

good stuff.

i think i feel the same way, but i hardly have the football IQ to be able to break down a game or player. i like to refer to them for general info, but wouldnt take their word as gospel.

they did have some good things to say about wilson a year ago. he does tend to grade out better by these sites than most fans would grade him, but i think part of that may be that you just dont hear much about a DB if hes not getting thrown at, which may be cuz hes doing a good job covering the WR. at least thats one possiblity.

pretty interesting stuff, even if its not gospel.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/four-downs/2012/four-downs-nfc-east-0

Well, being the football expert that I am, I have ascertained that despite the title of this thread having something to do with the signing of E.J. BIGGERS, I would like to predict that this thread has degenerated into nonsensical ramblings at this point because I have scanned the last few posts and haven't seen anything at all commented on about our new defensive back....except of course UNTIL NOW. So I will now attempt to throw in my 2 cents: I like this signing very much, and here is why: The guy did not play his first year so experience was a wash. His 2nd year he played some. Year 3 he played som. And last year he began as a part time player again but got lucky and assumed a starting role due to injury. He runs a 4:3 .

Well, being the football expert that I am, I have ascertained that despite the title of this thread having something to do with the signing of E.J. BIGGERS, I would like to predict that this thread has degenerated into nonsensical ramblings at this point

Brilliant prediction.

Welcome to Extremeskins, where every thread gets derailed... :ols:

I like this signing very much, and here is why: The guy did not play his first year so experience was a wash. His 2nd year he played some. Year 3 he played som. And last year he began as a part time player again but got lucky and assumed a starting role due to injury. He runs a 4:3 .

The only positive thing you seemed to add was that he runs a 4.3 forty... Those are hardly reasons why you should like a signing or not...

I did a search for "million" to see if his contract numbers had already been posted and nothing came up. So based on spotrac, these are them.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/e.j.-biggers/

1 year deal worth 1.5 million.

635k salary, 365k signing bonus, 500k roster bonus

No options, no voidable years. Just a straight forward 1 year deal.

I've looked on Rotoworld at contract details and it says undisclosed. No one seems to know at this point how many years and how much money. I want to know too.

Not sure if you saw yet or if it's been posted but I found it on Rotoworld today -

E.J. Biggers Defensive Back 3/20/2013: Signed a one-year, $1.5 million contract. The deal included a $365,000 signing bonus. 2013: $635,000 (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2014: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/was/redskins

^^AZ beat me to it - guess i should have checked here first haha

Not sure if you saw yet or if it's been posted but I found it on Rotoworld today -

E.J. Biggers Defensive Back 3/20/2013: Signed a one-year, $1.5 million contract. The deal included a $365,000 signing bonus. 2013: $635,000 (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2014: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/was/redskins

^^AZ beat me to it - guess i should have checked here first haha

Wow, I was hoping we landed him for at least 2 years. I hope he has a great year. Good luck, Biggers.:)

Of course, any typical forum on a message board is fertile ground (a veritable Petri dish, in fact) for these matters. The widespread lack of even trace evidence of humility at times notably dovetails with the proliferation of ignorance + arrogance (my patented term) and ego issues, especially prominent among so many males in our culture. It's a big part of what makes this place (particularly tailgate threads) one of my primary sources for grad level developmental psych or personality theory course material when doing the adjunct teaching role...:evilg: :D

Honestly though, this place is much better than any of the sports message boards I have been too. Alot more of the members here at least TRY to sound intelligent and that makes it readable to me. I literally cannot stand other Redskins boards because i have grown accustomed to this place. So, Kudos, I guess, because its not as bad as it could be.

And I like the Biggers signing. The man has his chance to play his very best. After four years of experience and being picked in the 7th round he may just have the tools and the mindset to take advantage of the situation and prove more useful than many of you think. Obviously I dont know what he will do. But i know he will be given the chance to excel by our staff and, if he takes advantage, you never know what he could become.

Honestly though, this place is much better than any of the sports message boards I have been too. Alot more of the members here at least TRY to sound intelligent and that makes it readable to me. I literally cannot stand other Redskins boards because i have grown accustomed to this place. So, Kudos, I guess, because its not as bad as it could be.

I agree, this is the best place for more well thought out discussion about the Redskins than elsewhere I've been to.

Honestly though, this place is much better than any of the sports message boards I have been too. Alot more of the members here at least TRY to sound intelligent and that makes it readable to me.

I agree, and if I didn't I would never have made ES my only message board/football/"social site" home. Nor would I have remained here all these years if I felt it had become less along the way. Nor have I ever found a good reason to go anywhere else instead. Nor would I even begin to have donated so much valuable time for both the fun and heeding the sense of giving back/responsibility of being associated with this board's management if I did not hold such an evaluation.

I feel safe saying the rest of the staff (not just the mods, but Hap & the breaking news gang, and murph and his crew) feels the same. This place simply kicks ass and takes names (sometimes literally :evilg:) all the way across the board (pun intended).

I think other boards are just fine for whoever likes them for whatever reasons. I like to think there's a place for everyone to enjoy posting about their team, and if it's not to be so on one site for any given person and any given reason, another site should satisfy the desire.

For most of us I think, just by being happy ES'ers, we simply have it whipped. :helmet:

:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky

Archived