Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gameday Thread: NFC/AFC Conference Championship Games

HogNose

Agreed Jumbo. I left DC in 2000, and haven't had much interaction with Ravens fans at all. Still not a fan, something about Ray just annoys me. I respect the hell out of him though.

Oh, I'm with you---I can't stand Ray from what I can tell of his persona, but I completely acknowledge his football skills. I also am perfectly fine with seeing him severely disappointed and am hoping for it. :)

They certainly deserve credit for what they've accomplished (though they also are not above criticism). And anyone who wants to talk about how great they've been, that's all well and good.

But coaches make enormous amounts of money/ Why? Because the NFL has built a brand and fans support the league so much. One of the things the league does to engage fans is these press conferences, and it's hardly a hardship that coaches should be pitied for that they should take part in those. Yet BB stands up there, gives one-word terse answers, looks at reporters like they're idiots and just generallly acts so annoyed that he is being forced to lower himself to the level of actually providing answers to his fans. I can't watch those kinds of performances and feel anything but disgusted.

To be fair, Bill does this after wins, too. I actually find it funny. You know you're never gonna get a straight forward answer out of him, but they keep asking. And I don't really blame him too much either. I know I wouldn't want to answer a bunch of stupid questions after every game.

(though they also are not above criticism). <edit> One of the things the league does to engage fans is these press conferences, and it's hardly a hardship that coaches should be pitied for that they should take part in those. Yet BB stands up there, gives one-word terse answers, looks at reporters like they're idiots and just generallly acts so annoyed that he is being forced to lower himself to the level of actually providing answers to his fans. I can't watch those kinds of performances and feel anything but disgusted.

I would never suggest (or think) otherwise re: the first comment (though compared to the praise they merit it's a pretty one-sided matter). Per the rest, I see nothing there that isn't on the money. Being great at what you do doesn't mean you should be a dick. On the other hand, I stand by what I said that even in the "being a dick" subject, many here (not saying "you" at all) who freely note this about Belichick would likely defend the very same actions if he had won those Lombardi's here---that's my main point. ;)

But who cares. **** him anyway. :ols:

To be fair, Bill does this after wins, too. I actually find it funny. You know you're never gonna get a straight forward answer out of him, but they keep asking. And I don't really blame him too much either. I know I wouldn't want to answer a bunch of stupid questions after every game.

Yes, he does it after wins too. My point (if you read what I just wrote) is that BB makes a buttload of money becuase he's part of a league that makes such an effort to reach out to fans and generate the interest that provides his salary, yet it's obviously beneath him to accept his part in that deal. Oh, but he'll take the money, and btw, be the only coach who's salary is secret. And then tell everyone else in the organization that they have to take less money to be part of it because that's 'the Patriot way'.

---------- Post added January-20th-2013 at 10:47 PM ----------

I would never suggest (or think) otherwise re: the first comment (though compared to the praise they merit it's a pretty one-sided matter). Per the rest, I see nothing there that isn't on the money. Being great at what you do doesn't mean you should be a dick. On the other hand, I stand by what I said that even in the "being a dick" subject, many here (not saying "you" at all) who freely note this about Belichick would likely defend the very same actions if he had won those Lombardi's here---that's my main point. ;)

No, I totally agree with everything you said here.

Yes, he does it after wins too. My point (if you read what I just wrote) is that BB makes a buttload of money becuase he's part of a league that makes such an effort to reach out to fans and generate the interest that provides his salary, yet it's obviously beneath him to accept his part in that deal. Oh, but he'll take the money, and btw, be the only coach who's salary is secret. And then tell everyone else in the organization that they have to take less money to be part of it because that's 'the Patriot way'.

I've never had much of a problem with BB's personality. I'm the "leave me alone" type too, but you have made some good points.

This is a particularly dubious point. So you're saying that homerish feelings are prevalent amongst fans of sports teams? This isn't news. Of course people would defend him if he were here, just as Ratbird fans defend Lewis, Steelers fans defend Big Ben, etc. Homerism on the part of 1/32 fan bases in the NFL doesn't somehow negate the criticisms. But as objective observers who aren't Patriots fans, we are able to sit here and wonder why Belichick seems to be incapable of being gracious in defeat.

He is a dick. And everyone who isn't a Patriots fan is able to see so. This is further supported by his behavior tonight. The fact that people who are his fans may not see things equally is to be expected and does not minimize this point at all.

This is a particularly dubious point. So you're saying that homerish feelings are prevalent amongst fans of sports teams? This isn't news. Of course people would defend him if he were here, just as Ratbird fans defend Lewis, Steelers fans defend Big Ben, etc. Homerism on the part of 1/32 fan bases in the NFL doesn't somehow negate the criticisms. But as objective observers who aren't Patriots fans, we are able to sit here and wonder why Belichick seems to be incapable of being gracious in defeat.

He is a dick. And everyone who isn't a Patriots fan is able to see so. This is further supported by his behavior tonight. The fact that people who are his fans may not see things equally is to be expected and does not minimize this point at all.

This seems like an interesting combination of pointless reactivity and poor reading comprehension, amigo. Perhaps it was exacerbated by you maybe not following the content of the whole conversation. None of my observations were implied to be "news." The point of making them was contained in my posts, and another unstated one (because it's obvious) would be that it's a very common practice in human communication to mention any number of things which are quite well-known, in this case in a reminding fashion, as part of making or supporting a point. Pretending otherwise, as you do here, is itself pretty much a solely argumentative move. For me to think my (or anyone's) comments on "homerism" were actually "news" would be stupid. Implying I would is quite stupid on your end. So there. :)

If you carefully re-read what I actually wrote in those posts, you'd hopefully note that I never suggested anything like all criticism was negated (particularly on Bill's public persona), and actually agreed with the obvious---that valid criticism certainly exists (a rather "durrr" thing to type, but apparently needed in this case).

After re-reading my posts, you should also be able to see that every word of your reply here is either misplaced or superfluous at best. I can only imagine what prompted your desire to "rebut" when you post so rarely. You were piqued by my comments and your accompanying Belichick disdain enough to invite yourself in just to try to be a dick?

You don't have to answer. In fact, I have a good sense from what you went with already that you'd be wisest not to. :)

This years SB is a win-win for me. I hate the Ravens more than the 49ers (hate from the '80's), but if the Ravens win, it'll at least give SF their first loss. Every team that has had at least 2 SB appearances, and have won at least 1 of them, have also lost at least 1 of them... except the 49ers. I wouldn't mind their streak being broken, but a Ravens win would be more :( to me.

:pfft: Wikipedia already has the 49ers winning the SB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_champions

edit: n/m... someone changed it. Looks like Baltimore is the home team.

I understood your point the first time and I still don't agree with you. Yes, it's part of his job to answers questions of the media after games. But the point you're missing is it's not his job to answer those questions how you, or the media, sees fit. Like I said, I love his pressers. They're hilarious. I don't blame him at all for how he approaches them. That's his personality.

funny how the patriots still haven't won a superbowl since the whole spygate scandal

Funny how Bill is still considered a great coach, but no one ever calls him a defensive genius anymore. In fact, the last several years, the defense has been a liability. Seems if you don't get to spy it makes it harder to play D.

Funny how Bill is still considered a great coach, but no one ever calls him a defensive genius anymore. In fact, the last several years, the defense has been a liability. Seems if you don't get to spy it makes it harder to play D.

I find two things fascinating with the Patriots.

1. Belichick's defense has been kind of awful for years. Yet, he will be inducted into the Hall of Fame as a "defensive genius."

2. Brady has been kind of terrible in the playoffs for almost a decade. Yet, he will retire and be known as one of the great "clutch" QBs ever.

1. Belichick's defense has been kind of awful for years. Yet' date=' he will be inducted into the Hall of Fame as a "defensive genius."

2. Brady has been kind of terrible in the playoffs for almost a decade. Yet, he will retire and be known as one of the great "clutch" QBs ever.[/quote']

Brady is all of a sudden the QB who can't win the big one.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8865138/tony-gonzalez-atlanta-falcons-career-probably-done

Tony Gonzalez 'probably' will retire

Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez said Sunday's loss to the 49ers in the NFC Championship Game was "probably" his last NFL game, echoing his thoughts throughout the season that he was 95 percent sure he would retire after this season.

Too bad he didn't get a chance to win the big one.

1. Belichick's defense has been kind of awful for years. Yet' date=' he will be inducted into the Hall of Fame as a "defensive genius."

2. Brady has been kind of terrible in the playoffs for almost a decade. Yet, he will retire and be known as one of the great "clutch" QBs ever.[/quote']I think both of your points aren't accurate.

1. Belichick will go into the HOF because he coached the Patriots to 3 Super Bowl titles.

2. Brady hasn't been terrible in the playoffs for almost a decade. And he was clutch enough to help them win 3 rings. And he has gaudy numbers, that will only get better if he plays a few more years.

I say it all the time: I don't get the hate towards Brady. He's always handled himself with class. And he is pretty much the definition of a leader. I love how he strives for perfection and expects a lot out of his teammates.

Now Belichick. I get the dislike there. But you still have to respect what the guy has accomplished. Some of you act like he's John Fox or something. And the spygate thing is seriously overblown. If Moss and Welker don't drop passes late in their last two Super Bowls, they could easily have 5 rings.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2013 at 01:44 AM ----------

Def had trouble matching up with boldin. Wonder how much talib's injury left them vulnerable on that matchup?
That hurt them a LOT. He had been playing great since they acquired him. And he was locking down Boldin pretty well before he was hurt on Sunday. And don't forget the injury to Gronk, both this year, and last. Also didn't help that Ridley went down. That fumble was a game-changer.

Archived