Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Receivers dominated in Seattle game...

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I listened to Cossell as well on the Sports Reporters and heard the same thing.

He pretty much said "Redskins WR's were WIDE OPEN the entire game"

I think we could add 1 more WR but I don't think its a serious area of need. Kyle has proven he can get guys open.

I concur with this, Kyle deserves a lot of credit. Even in games where the offense didn't do much, the WRs generally are still open. The Pittsburgh game was a perfect example. They were open all day against the top ranked defense, they just kept dropping it.

I heard Greg Cosell on ESPN radio a couple of days ago. He's one of the best at breaking down film, imo. He was talking about our game and the decision to leave Griffin in, in the context of having spent time breaking the film down.

He was talking about how leaving RG3 in the game was something he really questioned as the game was happening, but how much worse it looked after watching the tape. His statement was that there were "recievers wide open all over the field", but Griffin was unable to do anything about it.

Thats what I saw and I posted that the night of the game (or the day after), our receivers weren't man handled we had wide open guys ALL game long.

I heard Greg Cosell on ESPN radio a couple of days ago. He's one of the best at breaking down film, imo. He was talking about our game and the decision to leave Griffin in, in the context of having spent time breaking the film down.

He was talking about how leaving RG3 in the game was something he really questioned as the game was happening, but how much worse it looked after watching the tape. His statement was that there were "recievers wide open all over the field", but Griffin was unable to do anything about it.

Exactly,if someone wants to say the team needs an upgrade at reciver I can see where there is room for improvement but it isn't because they were man-handled by Seattle.With a semi-healthy Griffin the Seahawks were in trouble.When they knew RG couldn't throw or run they were able to play a totally different style of defense.Put the shoe on the other foot,how effective would Seattle have been with a severely hobbled Wilson?Take it a step further and imagine Zach Miller was on IR.

Seattle's corners are big and physical but they often get burned if the WRs can get a good clean break off the line of scrimmage.

The problem is that once RGIII got hurt and could no longer plant on his throws, it removed any threat of a vertical passing game.

Seattle's defense adjusted to RGIII's injury, it is as plain and simple as that. Their corners were no longer afraid of the deep ball, so they were able to get physical at the line of scrimmage because without the ability of the QB to make accurate deep throws, they had no concern about being beaten.

The best example is on a playaction pass play after RGIII's injury, he fakes the handoff to Morris, drops back, Garcon is deep down the sideline, waiting for an easy run and catch for a TD, and RGIII looks like he is about to throw it, but pulls it down and 6 points are left on the board. If RGIII is healthy and makes that throw, it is 21-0.

RGIII's injury didn't only effect his play, it affected the entire offense. This is why I was so annoyed with Seattle's cornerbacks gloating after the game was over, because it was clear they weren't able to stop anything at all, until an injury to the 'Skins best player bailed them out on national TV,

Could we improve our WR Corp? Sure. Do we need to improve it? No, of course not. Should we expend precious resources to improve it? God no. We have too many other areas we need to focus on.

Seattle did not stop our receivers, not being able to make the throws did. Blaming our wrs would be like blaming our defense for the loss.

Our receiving corp is based on speed/playaction. We still dont have a true possession receiver. To evolve this offense we need to find a dominant TE or #1 WR

Agreed. Hankerson rightfully got crap for his alligator arms. I would be happy with someone who fights for the ball the way Boldin is doing in this game... and WHAT a game!

---------- Post added January-12th-2013 at 08:14 PM ----------

Could we improve our WR Corp? Sure. Do we need to improve it? No, of course not. Should we expend precious resources to improve it? God no. We have too many other areas we need to focus on.

Seattle did not stop our receivers, not being able to make the throws did. Blaming our wrs would be like blaming our defense for the loss.

I don't know... Hankerson kind of played like a *****.

I heard at one time that Garcon needed to have his shoulder popped back into place.

Not sure exactly when it happened but I do recall him being yanked by the arm by a CB, no call of course.

I'm surprised he didn't break his neck on the play where the guy threw him down by his facemask.

How many throws did we see that were way off target like 2-4 ft too high. RGIII couldn't step into any of his throws. Much less plant or move inside the pocket. Garçon came out and was handling his coverage. RGIII couldn As good as Paulsen was he simply wasn't Fred in the passing game. Davis went down before the team started clicking on offense and w/out Garçon. Garçon opens up the passing game for everyone. I believe Hank needs to make monumental improvements this offseason. I seen mire than enough medicore play from him. He's so passive when he clearly has the size and respectable speed to make plays in the passing game. Santana might be 34 but until you can upgrade skill wise he stays on this squad.

This is why I was so annoyed with Seattle's cornerbacks gloating after the game was over, because it was clear they weren't able to stop anything at all, until an injury to the 'Skins best player bailed them out on national TV,

Man, I hate it when I see defensive players, regardless of team, posturing after a ball in the dirt like they had anything to do with defensing said pass. Sort of like when posters don't know the difference between your/you're. And before anyone gets sad about it, let me point out that I couldn't care less about your hurt feelings.

Gotcha.

I don't believe that. It wasn't like Griffin couldn't read coverage, what I saw was him not being able to make the tight passes between airtight coverage. A big reason why is because our guys weren't getting open enough. Our guys were getting hit and well covered because oddly enough they really don't blitz that much. Our offense is good at getting people open, but wasn't enough to match up against the way they play Defense. Griffin would've had to run the ball more to get first downs and sustain drives then he was able to, and that's why we lost.

Spoken like someone who knows football! :cheers:

I saw the same thing.. We need a possession receiver.. one who will catch a 3rd down pass across the middle when the game is on the line and the QB can hardly stand!

Also I'm not sure why we didn't put Aldrick in the game to take the top off the defense. Garcon and Moss could've run underneath all day!!

Davis will be a difference maker, but after watching Flacco this weekend, I think we need a receiver that can get downfield and take advantage of Griffin's awesome arm. Robinson might be able to step up, but he just isn't physical enough.

How many throws did we see that were way off target like 2-4 ft too high. RGIII couldn't step into any of his throws. Much less plant or move inside the pocket. Garçon came out and was handling his coverage. RGIII couldn As good as Paulsen was he simply wasn't Fred in the passing game. Davis went down before the team started clicking on offense and w/out Garçon. Garçon opens up the passing game for everyone. I believe Hank needs to make monumental improvements this offseason. I seen mire than enough medicore play from him. He's so passive when he clearly has the size and respectable speed to make plays in the passing game. Santana might be 34 but until you can upgrade skill wise he stays on this squad.

This. When seattle saw Griffin couldn't run they completely changed how they pass rushed. Because of this RG3 didn't have the time, nor could he comfortably step into his throws, so they were off. We saw receivers get open all through the first, but suddenly after the RG3 injury they are suffocated in coverage? C'mon, that's just cause-and-effect. Our receivers are fine. As much as I'd like to see a Mike Wallace, I'm weary about him and I think our offense is more than fine without any change at wr. What we could really use is an RT.

Man, I hate it when I see defensive players, regardless of team, posturing after a ball in the dirt like they had anything to do with defensing said pass. Sort of like when posters don't know the difference between your/you're. And before anyone gets sad about it, let me point out that I couldn't care less about your hurt feelings.

Your right.

Ya know, i'm not looking tio get in front of a firing squad, but there were quite a few instances where RGIII got some of Grossman's bad habits; staring down 1 particular receiver. I can't pinpoint the exact times, but its something I've noticed the last few games, and not sure if its due to his knee and wanting to get rid of the ball quicker or not, but he did do it.

Receiver-wise, if they don't get a FA somewhere, then its put up or shut up time for Hankerson, Daivs, and Morgan. Davis started out good, then all but disappeared, and now the injury bug is chasing him down; the other 2 guys, well, IMO Morgan was/is another Haynesworth, signing the big money deal then not living up to the hype, and Hankerson just doesn't have good hands, and turns to run before he actually catches the ball; I forgot what game it was, but he caught a bomb but almiost dropped it whern it was right in his hands, and it wasn't the first one either.

So, a fire needs to be lit under their butts this offseason, trainuing camp, and early part of the season; no improvement= bye bye...

Morgan won't get open regularly on his own, but with help from the scheme, he's a nice guy to have considering how physical he is, I agree.

Hankerson... The guy hasn't shown me he'll get open regularly on his own, but the scheme can take care of that... But his hands man.... He's gotta work on them.

We've got good receivers in Garcon and Moss, who knows how long Moss will hold up though. Garcon is good, but I still don't see him as a true #1 which is OK because we have a good scheme and we have a good QB a la the Eagles during the McNabb era and the Patriots of the last 15 years... Those teams had formidable passing attacks that were only put over the top when they got TO and Randy Moss

When our defense is shored up and we are confident in all 5 starters of our offensive line... I think we can splurge on a #1 receiver and be unstoppable

Our defense is not as bad as many think... We have a lot of good depth... Just need starting safeties and our defense will be good. Add an unstoppable DE or NT and our defense wlil be elite. Only problem is we might need someone behind Fletcher in case age finally catches up to him. Importance of Cornerback is overrated and what we have are decent enough.

Morgan wasn't that bad. I think, if he applies himself, he has the tools to be an integral part of the offense. He's surprisingly physical and aggressive when we wants to be.

Hankerson's hands are hopelessly awful.

I agree about Morgan. I also feel like some forget he's coming off a broken leg. And he's a heck of a downfield blocker.

Hankerson has focus issues for sure, though I was surprised to learn that FO has him ranked 24th in DVOA and 41st in DYAR - pretty good for a number 2/4 receiver.

Archived