Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Receivers dominated in Seattle game...

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Re-watched the Seattle playoff game and realized what my dad was talking about concerning upgrading the receiving core. Not only was our offense practically handicapped with Garcon being out during the regular season, our receivers were getting manhandled the entire playoff game. Even Garcon was getting bullied out there, guys weren't getting open, and there were also several dropped balls as well.

As much as been talked about Griffin not being 100% in this game, I don't feel enough credit has been given to Seattle and their 4th ranked defense and their physically corners. And as young as that team is, we're going to see them again in the playoffs. Even when Cousins came in, its was the same thing with receivers dropping balls and not getting open. Even at 100%, I feel this would've been a game Griffin wouldn't of gone over 200 yards passing, and would've needed to combine with Morris for another one of our 200, damn near 300 yard rushing games in order to win (which we were well on our way to doing in the first quarter until the adjustments and poor receiver play started to take its tll).

So as much as some people don't want to resign Davis, I feelit has to be an absolute priority to help Griffin from a receiving, playmaking standpoint. Having a big, fast receiver doing his thing over the middle coulda been enough for Griffin to pull that game out for us (because it was close all the way until he got hurt and turned the ball over in the redzone). The question I'm bringing up though is that with Griffin's TD passes going to players like Paulsen and Royster, is resigning Fred Davis enough? Do we need to do more then that in terms of upgrading the skill positions on offense to compete against teams we're going to see in the later rounds of the playoffs???

Well, we are getting Hankerson and Robinson back for the 3rd year -- that's generally the expected time for a receiver to "get it" in a system and at the NFL level.

I was hoping that Robinson could develop into an Eddie Royal type of guy, and then Hank could be a solid possession receiver type but they still have some work to do.

We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if we went after another receiver in FA or drafted another one. But I think what we have in our system developing another year could be good.

We definitely need a solid TE catching threat though because our run game opens up the middle so much. If we could have a great TE down the middle like Davis if he wasn't injured our offense would be perennial top 5. In fact, we were top 4 for both yards and points this year so it's not like we were horrible.

Morris + RG3 is a good combo.

Seattle had no answer for our offense before Griffin got injured, and that was way before that bad snap, that was just the final tare. They were getting their asses handed to them! Plus their secondary was pushing our receivers down and holding onto others because they couldn't keep up with them. The bomb they intercepted was blatant interference and wasn't called. Add a healthy Fred Davis and RG3, and Seattle's ass was polished!

We had 2 receivers break free at 2 different times in that game and were wide open down field, but RG3 couldn't buy time to see them because he could barely walk, much less than run. A half injured Redskins team gave Seattle a hell of a fight, imagine if the Redskins were healthy and had all their players they started the season with. Seattle would have gotten throttled!!!

Shanahan will add more talent this offseason of course, I say bring in fast receivers to challenge Hankerson and Morgan, as well as another good TE since I doubt Cooley returns. This team has room to add better and faster weapons on both sides of the ball.

Well, we are getting Hankerson and Robinson back for the 3rd year -- that's generally the expected time for a receiver to "get it" in a system and at the NFL level.

I was hoping that Robinson could develop into an Eddie Royal type of guy, and then Hank could be a solid possession receiver type but they still have some work to do.

We'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if we went after another receiver in FA or drafted another one. But I think what we have in our system developing another year could be good.

We definitely need a solid TE catching threat though because our run game opens up the middle so much. If we could have a great TE down the middle like Davis if he wasn't injured our offense would be perennial top 5. In fact, we were top 4 for both yards and points this year so it's not like we were horrible.

Morris + RG3 is a good combo.

I feel that we could getting away with this plan, but its really predicated on Hankerson reaching his potential. I'm not ready to give up on him any more then I want to depend on him to be that dominant receiver opposite Garcon, which is what this thread is really about. I also want us to either take a hard look at Helu Jr, or give up and find a complementary back to Morris who has the speed to break away on screen passes or wide pitches (basically someone who can catch and make a play out the backfield).

Moss is getting older, and I don't believe Morgan was brought in to be that guy opposite Garcon. I can see Robinson eventually taking the Santana role, but that isn't going to save us if that's our plan going up against physically defenses like Seattle again. I'd encourage us to get a legit complement to Garcon and Morris as well as resigning Davis. Even as productive as our offense has shown capable of, a lot of that is from a dominant running game that when slowed exposes our passing game. Saw it happen a couple times in loses against solid teams and defenses like Pittsburg and Atlanta.

Davis owned the same secondary last year. With rex throwing him the ball.

I dont know if that means we have to re-sign freddy, but i do know that the skins need a big fast receiving target for rg3.

If davis can fill that role moving forward im not sure the team will need to bring in anyone else, but i also think its time for hankerson to go in which case he can be replaced with Bowe, or a draft pick.

Our recievers didnt get bullied on the first 2 drives.

RG3 got hurt or we would have dropped 40+ on them

Ya they were, most of those first two drives were us running the ball down their throat. Outside of Garcon's 30 yard catch, every other catch was 11 yards or less.

Our recievers didnt get bullied on the first 2 drives.

RG3 got hurt or we would have dropped 40+ on them

That's what I explained to my Seahawk buddy that claimed that after the first quarter, when Seattle's D established themselves, the Redskins simply had no answer.

I heard Greg Cosell on ESPN radio a couple of days ago. He's one of the best at breaking down film, imo. He was talking about our game and the decision to leave Griffin in, in the context of having spent time breaking the film down.

He was talking about how leaving RG3 in the game was something he really questioned as the game was happening, but how much worse it looked after watching the tape. His statement was that there were "recievers wide open all over the field", but Griffin was unable to do anything about it.

I heard Greg Cosell on ESPN radio a couple of days ago. He's one of the best at breaking down film, imo. He was talking about our game and the decision to leave Griffin in, in the context of having spent time breaking the film down.

He was talking about how leaving RG3 in the game was something he really questioned as the game was happening, but how much worse it looked after watching the tape. His statement was that there were "recievers wide open all over the field", but Griffin was unable to do anything about it.

I don't believe that. It wasn't like Griffin couldn't read coverage, what I saw was him not being able to make the tight passes between airtight coverage. A big reason why is because our guys weren't getting open enough. Our guys were getting hit and well covered because oddly enough they really don't blitz that much. Our offense is good at getting people open, but wasn't enough to match up against the way they play Defense. Griffin would've had to run the ball more to get first downs and sustain drives then he was able to, and that's why we lost.

Davis owned the same secondary last year. With rex throwing him the ball.

I dont know if that means we have to re-sign freddy, but i do know that the skins need a big fast receiving target for rg3.

If davis can fill that role moving forward im not sure the team will need to bring in anyone else, but i also think its time for hankerson to go in which case he can be replaced with Bowe, or a draft pick.

I agree, we can definitely upgrade Hankerson's position.

Their secondary got away with a lot of ****. So much for secondaries being handicapped by contact rules...

I expected as much when we had the same crew as the Steelers game and they got away with similar stuff, including the PI in the endzone on Robinson and Sanders suplexing Hall right in front of a ref, both which were non-calls.

These teams, coaches, and players know the strengths and weaknesses of ref crews, what they can and can't get away with, and they take advantage when they can, happens at every level in pretty much every sport. You would think there would be little or no leeway at the professional level, but referee accountability isn't a staple of today's NFL.

That being said, I have noticed throughout the season that Hankerson and Morgan disappear for large chunks of games and frankly I would not be disappointed to see either released. They were getting open at times, but were dropping passes. Garcon has had occasional dropsies, but his overall play makes up for that.

I don't believe that. It wasn't like Griffin couldn't read coverage, what I saw was him not being able to make the tight passes between airtight coverage. A big reason why is because our guys weren't getting open enough. Our guys were getting hit and well covered because oddly enough they really don't blitz that much. Our offense is good at getting people open, but wasn't enough to match up against the way they play Defense. Griffin would've had to run the ball more to get first downs and sustain drives then he was able to, and that's why we lost.

It's not about his ability to read coverage, it's about his ability to throw the ball to open recievers. Just watching the replay on NFLN you can see him missing open players badly on many post 1st quarter throws.

No one seems to remember, but Garcon got hurt as well early on and wasn't himself after. That had an affect. But, really, it was Robert's inability to throw accurately after he got hurt that killed us more than anything. We simply couldn't keep drives going and the Seahawks were able to crowd the line and stop Morris. That's why Kyle kept calling play action passes to try to get them to back off, but every poor throw Robert made only gave the Seattle D more confidence they can get away with what they were doing. Whenever Robert threw accurately, it was a completion. We forget he hit Moss for a couple of first downs on third down and he did hit Hankerson (though it was a little off target and Hank dropped it) in the 4th quarter, so plays were there to be made. Robert just couldn't get it done and Seattle benefited. That's all there is to it.

I'm happy with our WRs. We have the best group of guys here since forever. We just need a Harvin-type player who can line up in the backfield with Morris in the pistol and this offense will be ridiculous.

There were receivers wide open, and Cousins would have found them because he wasn't in pain like RG3. But when RG3 tells his coach he's ok and can finish the game, you can't expect Shanahan to take him out. The Pats would not have pulled Brady if he said he could play, nor Denver with Manning, you trust your QB's decision and RG3 should have taken a seat and let Cousins finish them off, and he definitely could have.

A half injured Redskins team gave Seattle a hell of a fight, imagine if the Redskins were healthy and had all their players they started the season with. Seattle would have gotten throttled!!!

It's not about his ability to read coverage, it's about his ability to throw the ball to open recievers. Just watching the replay on NFLN you can see him missing open players badly on many post 1st quarter throws.

There were overthrows, but not as many as are being made out to be. A lot of open passes were on point and dropped, and a couple you could tell were intentionally overthrown to be in the direction of receiver so he wouldn't get intentional grounding (thorwn over double coverage at least twice that I could count). Keep in mind, we really didn't have too many chances to throw the ball because we were losing time of possession and trying to stay run first as long as we could.

Each pass is going to be magnified, but from what I've seen all year from Griffin he wasn't that much worse from a passing stand point. This did remind me of the Pittsburg game, and its not like he's been Petyon Manning all year. Shanny has done a great job with his son making an offense to maximise his strengths and hid his development as a pocket passer.

There were receivers wide open, and Cousins would have found them because he wasn't in pain like RG3. But when RG3 tells his coach he's ok and can finish the game, you can't expect Shanahan to take him out. The Pats would not have pulled Brady if he said he could play, nor Denver with Manning, you trust your QB's decision and RG3 should have taken a seat and let Cousins finish them off, and he definitely could have.

A half injured Redskins team gave Seattle a hell of a fight, imagine if the Redskins were healthy and had all their players they started the season with. Seattle would have gotten throttled!!!

I'm pretty much in agreement here with you on that. I don't want this thread to turn into another blame-a-thon... I could careless about who is to blame in an unfortunate playoff loss when we just won the friggin NFC East. Let me repeat that: WE WON THE NFC EAST. And with a bunch of young players to boot.

That being said, Robert is more at fault in my mind. I actually am impressed though of how willing he was to sacrifice his body for the team. He's Sean Taylor at QB, PERIOD. That, to me, doesn't make him stupid. But Mike trusted him and shouldn't have, that's all. I'm 100% sure Mike will never take his word on it again if he shows any sign of regression during a game now. Robert broke that trust, unfortunately, but it's ok. You want that in a player. I think it's sad that the media is influencing such a large contingent of our fan base to absolutely bash Mike on this.

I might buy that argument if we were talking about a series or two. But the whole 2nd quarter, the whole 3rd quarter, half the 4th quarter..... all of Griffin completely uncapable of moving the offense. At what point do we expectt the coach to do more than "trusting the QB's decision"?

There were overthrows, but not as many as are being made out to be. A lot of open passes were on point and dropped, and a couple you could tell were intentionally overthrown to be in the direction of receiver so he wouldn't get intentional grounding (thorwn over double coverage at least twice that I could count). Keep in mind, we really didn't have too many chances to throw the ball because we were losing time of possession and trying to stay run first as long as we could.

Each pass is going to be magnified, but from what I've seen all year from Griffin he wasn't that much worse from a passing stand point. This did remind me of the Pittsburg game, and its not like he's been Petyon Manning all year. Shanny has done a great job with his son making an offense to maximise his strengths and hid his development as a pocket passer.

The "dropped passes" excuse peope keep going to is nonsense. The only pass that could even remotely be considered a drop was the Hankerson play over the middle and that was a bad pass, too.

We scored 14 quick and I mean quick points on Seattle. RG3 gets injured right after the second series. The guy could not even plant his back leg to make a throw. What was Seattle in that game? Lucky. We would have beat the crap out of them. And our D finally wore down. It took Seattle until the 4th quarter to finally get ahead. And one of their scores was after a crumpled RG3 fumbled....

It sickens me to listen to the pundits talk about how great Seattle is. They are not. Also the officials allowed Seattle players to slap, push, etc. during and after plays.

Ask some honest Seattle players what would have happened to their sorry asses if RG3 had not been hurt, and clearly severely after that 2nd series.

I am happy with our receiving corps the way it is with a healthy RG3 or Cousins back there.

Archived