Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Receivers dominated in Seattle game...

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Such an unfair thread in many ways.

What was true and what was false... were the wide open receivers and the offense that practically led the league in yardage until Griffin's injury in Baltimore a mirage? Was it also a mirage against Cleveland?

Or did we finally see our wide receivers true worth with a one legged quarterback against one of the stoutest secondaries in the league? Couple that with the fact that Garcon still had the foot injury, Morgan was obviously playing hurt, Hankerson is one year off major surgery, and both he and Robinson were getting their first field time.

Frankly, the sky seems pretty blue when you looked at this group and what they accomplished up until Griffin just couldn't go. Is it the best corp in the NFL? Nah, but it's plenty good enough as we saw most of the year.

I'm going to say this one last time and its the same thing I said in my last post in this thread; we can say it's not a priority to fix all we want,but its not something we should ignore. That would be a mistake.

Actually, I agree and I'm sure the FO is well aware of this. You always want to get better. While the receivers showed some promise, we still have a ways to go and anytime you can improve your team, you do it. I would not be surprised to see Briscoe, Banks or even Moss gone and Shanahan bring in another set of WR whether its through free agency or the draft. He wants youth, speed and yards after catch.

---------- Post added January-23rd-2013 at 08:37 AM ----------

I love 'Tana but we need someone to push him in the slot. He's reliable,but didnt do much in the open field after catches. A upgrade there and an upgrade at TE is necessary. Fred is solid, but coming off an injury, why take a chance? I think RG3 would benefit from a bigger target, which was evidenced by how he got Paulson involved in the gameplan. He seems to look or him over the middle, and I'm sure him being a ginger target had something to do with it. Martellus Bennett, Ed Dickson, and Jared Cook could fit the mold. Delanie Walker is also interesting, but he's more of a speed threat....in the slot I'd love for us to go after Amendola, but i am concerned about his injury troubles....

Martellus Bennett will either sign with the Giants or he might follow his brother to Tampa.

Dickson is garbage. Pitta caught more balls than he did.

Cook doesn't block. A staple of Shanahan is, you gotta be able to block.

If Walker has speed, that's what we're always looking for, but I'm not sure he's the prototype TE we need. I tell you what? I'd like to give Fred a chance. He tweeted or something that he's already started running and will be ready by OTAs. He said his injury was similar to Suggs tear and Suggs will be starting in the SB less than a year removed from his injury. One guy that I think could fill Davis' role if we don't re-sign him is Dustin Keller for the Jets. He reminds me of a poor man's Tony Gonzalez.

Actually, I agree and I'm sure the FO is well aware of this. You always want to get better. While the receivers showed some promise, we still have a ways to go and anytime you can improve your team, you do it. I would not be surprised to see Briscoe, Banks or even Moss gone and Shanahan bring in another set of WR whether its through free agency or the draft. He wants youth, speed and yards after catch.

You always look to get better everywhere, but with the cap stuff, reciever upgrade will probably have to wait. We HAVE to fix the secondary first imo.

You always look to get better everywhere, but with the cap stuff, reciever upgrade will probably have to wait. We HAVE to fix the secondary first imo.

In the free agency thread someone posted something from Grant Paulson who said the FO is still going to be aggressive (not Vinny agressive) like they were last year sans the cap. He said the FO has ways around it and will be looking for whatever means necessary to improve the team. I wasn't trying to insinuate that the secondary take a back seat to the WRs. I realize we still have alot of areas we need to improve on.

In the free agency thread someone posted something from Grant Paulson who said the FO is still going to be aggressive (not Vinny agressive) like they were last year sans the cap. He said the FO has ways around it and will be looking for whatever means necessary to improve the team. I wasn't trying to insinuate that the secondary take a back seat to the WRs. I realize we still have alot of areas we need to improve on.

I got that, just imo, if $ is limited the secondary should come first. I saw that in that thread too, and I am interested to see exactly how they pull it off.

Haha, I wouldn't be too quick to really place worth in polls here. For every 2 people who wanted rg3 last year, there was 1 who wanted Matt Barkley. There wasn't a poll in the read option thread but I think most people wanted it scrapped due to a possible rg3 injury (rg3 was not injured on read option plays). Heck, most people wanted Haslett fired and we all griped about drafting kirk, leribeus, and morris and quite a few were outraged on us passing on Gabbert because our starter last year was going to be Rex. Basically what I'm saying is nobody on here is at all qualified to evaluate a football team, though obviously we're all free to discuss it. We'll get a chance to revisit this after the offseason, and we'll see how actual football minds view this possible problem.

Smh, I've been here nearly 10 years on extremeskins, and the last thing I would do we be to underestimate the football knowledge of some of the posters here. If you've ever seen an EA thread on a certain football philosophy or Art back in the day, you'd better understand why I even bother giving the benefit of the doubt to polls over a 100 votes, even now with a lot more newbs coming in.

A lot of what you're talking about is hindsight. Not a single NFL expert picked us to have a winning record, let alone get a home playoff game.

---------- Post added January-23rd-2013 at 09:29 AM ----------

I got that, just imo, if $ is limited the secondary should come first. I saw that in that thread too, and I am interested to see exactly how they pull it off.

They're going to restructure contracts like Hall and Moss and cut bad contracts that aren't performing like Jamal Brown. I expect them to again not go about the all-pro free agents, but young players that are on the cusp with a decent signing bonus and backloaded contract. Just because we sign someone doesn't mean we have to give them more money then we can afford in the cap penalty year. Our cap is going to jump when it comes off next offseason because of all the bad contracts we got rid of when Shanny got here, and they know that.

I've already seen reports we talked to honey badger at the senior bowl, so where going to draft him, imo. I can also see them drafting a fast back in the later rounds to complement Morris (good chance that will hit with Shanny's RB luck). If we do sign a FS (or DB that allows us to move someone like Hall to FS), I wouldn't be against or shocked if the 2nd or 3rd pick was on a receiver that could develop into an actual deep threat an play opposite Garcon, someone you can throw that ball up and there's a better chance then the guys we have of him coming down with it (sorta like what we need from Robinson, but a bigger player to matchup with bigger corners)

They may not be able to do this idea this offseason, but I whole-heartedly believe our first first round pick when we start having them again will be a Huli Jones type just like what the Falcons did for Matt Ryan even though he already had Rody White. Outside of FS and RT, are priorities are really on resigning people. We actually do have flexibility to address other positions because of the number of players we're going to have coming back from injury to fill holes we had this season.

Smh, I've been here nearly 10 years on extremeskins, and the last thing I would do we be to underestimate the football knowledge of some of the posters here. If you've ever seen an EA thread on a certain football philosophy or Art back in the day, you'd better understand why I even bother giving the benefit of the doubt to polls over a 100 votes, even now with a lot more newbs coming in.

A lot of what you're talking about is hindsight. Not a single NFL expert picked us to have a winning record, let alone get a home playoff game.

Media aren't exactly experts either, otherwise they would be running teams. I remember Kyle Shanahan saying we were going to win the nfc east this year, and he would be an expert. Oh, I'm definitely impressed by the knowledge of a few people on here, but I would not at all listen to the masses, especially after a loss.

Our draft picks will help in this area however, we should still sign T.O. to a one year vet contract. He would be a big help in the Red Zone. Don't

think he would be a locker room problem any more. He just want's a chance to play again. Look how well Moss worked out for the 49ers.

Our draft picks will help in this area however, we should still sign T.O. to a one year vet contract. He would be a big help in the Red Zone. Don't

think he would be a locker room problem any more. He just want's a chance to play again. Look how well Moss worked out for the 49ers.

Moss this season: REC YDS TD AVG LONG

28 434 3 15.5 55

You would chance T.O.'s notable personality for that production?

You've got to be kidding. TO isn't coming anywhere near this team. He's the last prospect I'd consider.

Archived