Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Receivers dominated in Seattle game...

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I agree about Morgan. I also feel like some forget he's coming off a broken leg. And he's a heck of a downfield blocker.

Hankerson has focus issues for sure, though I was surprised to learn that FO has him ranked 24th in DVOA and 41st in DYAR - pretty good for a number 2/4 receiver.

Couple of things about Hank....one, I think he needs his eyes checked ala Carlos, seems to me like he loses the ball an awful lot in close. Two....the speed of the game. This is his first real year in the NFL and it is different. And remember, in college he had Jacory Harris throwing him the ball and last year trying to learn the NFL, he had Grossmen and Beck throwing him the ball. Think RGIII brings a bit more zip on his passes then those guys....oh yeah. Just something to think about.

Couple of things about Hank....one, I think he needs his eyes checked ala Carlos, seems to me like he loses the ball an awful lot in close. Two....the speed of the game. This is his first real year in the NFL and it is different. And remember, in college he had Jacory Harris throwing him the ball and last year trying to learn the NFL, he had Grossmen and Beck throwing him the ball. Think RGIII brings a bit more zip on his passes then those guys....oh yeah. Just something to think about.

Yeah, I think people are being a bit too quick to judge Hankerson. Give him a full year healthy and let's see how he does, same with Morgan. I think Garçon, Moss and Morgan are great role models for Hank and he'll grow into the role.

Yeah, I think people are being a bit too quick to judge Hankerson. Give him a full year healthy and let's see how he does, same with Morgan. I think Garçon, Moss and Morgan are great role models for Hank and he'll grow into the role.

I was never down on Morgan, he started catching more as the year went on, and a lot of people didn't notice that on a lot of long runs, he made some great downfield blocks. That's important to the offense too.

Offseason is a zero sum game. Every personnel decision made reduces the ability to address another position. In year 1 of the Griffin/Kyle offense it was 4th in scoring and 5th in yards despite Garcon and Fred Davis missing most of the season. The offense will be fine with Davis and Garcon healthy plus Tana and the expanding contribution and growth from Morgan, Hankerson and Aldrick.

Also, I completely disagree the receivers got dominated. You don't get dominated when you jump out to a 14-0 lead. You're not getting dominated when receivers are getting open and the QB is too injured to get them ball. The receivers weren't the part of the offense that failed last week; it was injury to the QB.

I opened this thread and expected to see something completely different than what it was.

I have heard multiple accounts of people who said recievers were running open throughout the game. Seattle's secondary is physical but Redskins recievers were getting open...Griffin just wasnt able to get them the ball consistently. On the interception, it was a severe underthrow. Earl Thomas maybe makes it over there still on a good throw but Browner was smoked by Garcon.

You know what, I wish had made this poll earlier. I'll give this board more credit then that and still believe most fans here feel we can do better then Hankerson and Josh Morgan. We've been hearing rumblings about that way prior to the 7 game winning streak, during, and even in this thread right now.

I believe the polls more when there's more votes, like in the hundreds in polls I've made before.

Our hands were (ARE) tied with the BS cap penalty. We can/need to do better than Hank & Morgan, although I like Morgans physical play. I voted yes because we need Davis AND a big/blazing receiver. I'm sorry, but Hank has not impressed me this year. There is just something missing there, and I hope I am proven wrong. We need a big, 6'3" or taller receiver that has hands. It would help us immensely in the long run. The new trend is to go big/tall with DB's and the only way to combat that is to go tall OR get extreme speed. A good example is Miike Wallace from the Steelers. I know Aldrick is fast, but Wallace is on another level; speed to burn AND hands. We won't get Wallace, but someone with that speed, or size like Demaryius Thomas who is tall and big. Our WR group, hell, every group, has to be constantly upgraded. We have to realize trends and find solutions. We will be fine & love our future. HTTR

We shouldn't assess the value of the Skins receiving corps based on the Seattle game alone. The second half of the season convinced me that this team was getting better and deeper at WR and there are some young players waiting in the wings who show potential.

It looks like the Skins WR corps has a young and promising nucleus. There are the starters --Garcon, Morgan, Moss and the next starting TE (likely Davis, if he's healed and re-signed) will should continue to be decent for the 2013 season -- with Hankerson, Robinson, Paul, and Paulsen getting reasonable playing time to help coaches decide who will replace Morgan and Moss when their contracts expire. Briscoe may hang on, but I suspect he may lose out if Shanahan finds a 'Harvin/Welker' type who is good enough to keep as preparation for Moss' eventual departure.

Therefore, I think the Skins only big FA move with the receving corps should be to re-sign Davis (assuming he's healthy enough) or someone like Davis (if Fred's contract gets too costly).

The Skins may decide to pursue a few free agents for much needed defensive secondary help, or upgrading the NT, or finding a decent RT, but I don't see them spending a lot of money on some high profile WR. Besides they need to save salary space to re-sign folks like L Alexander, C. Baker, C. Griffin, T. Jackson, R. Jackson, K. Lichensteirger, L. Paulsen, S. Rocca, N. Sundberg, and D. Young, Since the Skins made the playoffs, a many of these formerly 'unknown' Skins players may now cost more to re-sign.

We shouldn't assess the value of the Skins receiving corps based on the Seattle game alone. The second half of the season convinced me that this team was getting better and deeper at WR and there are some young players waiting in the wings who show potential.

It looks like the Skins WR corps has a young and promising nucleus. There are the starters --Garcon, Morgan, Moss and the next starting TE (likely Davis, if he's healed and re-signed) will should continue to be decent for the 2013 season -- with Hankerson, Robinson, Paul, and Paulsen getting reasonable playing time to help coaches decide who will replace Morgan and Moss when their contracts expire. Briscoe may hang on, but I suspect he may lose out if Shanahan finds a 'Harvin/Welker' type who is good enough to keep as preparation for Moss' eventual departure.

Therefore, I think the Skins only big FA move with the receving corps should be to re-sign Davis (assuming he's healthy enough) or someone like Davis (if Fred's contract gets too costly).

The Skins may decide to pursue a few free agents for much needed defensive secondary help, or upgrading the NT, or finding a decent RT, but I don't see them spending a lot of money on some high profile WR. Besides they need to save salary space to re-sign folks like L Alexander, C. Baker, C. Griffin, T. Jackson, R. Jackson, K. Lichensteirger, L. Paulsen, S. Rocca, N. Sundberg, and D. Young, Since the Skins made the playoffs, a many of these formerly 'unknown' Skins players may now cost more to re-sign.

I'm hoping since a lot of these guys have been on board for a while, that they understand the situation and will take a little less to stay here. Looking ahead, would you take a little more to play in Jacksonville, or a little less to stay here and finish what you started?

I opened this thread and expected to see something completely different than what it was.

I have heard multiple accounts of people who said recievers were running open throughout the game. Seattle's secondary is physical but Redskins recievers were getting open...Griffin just wasnt able to get them the ball consistently. On the interception, it was a severe underthrow. Earl Thomas maybe makes it over there still on a good throw but Browner was smoked by Garcon.

This was exactly the case. There was the int that I believe would have gone for 6 if RG3 could plant off that leg. That was the first underthrow that I saw on such a play all year. There was another play, I believe in the 4th, Garcon was wide open down the field...Griffin got set to throw but pulled it down and got sacked. Looked to me like he knew he couldn't make the throw.

There were so many things that attributed to the loss but those two plays really stood out.

Imo I really like our receiving core as long as Garcon is healthy. All of the rest of them have roles to play and ways to contribute, Garcon is the complete receiver who opens up the field for the rest of them to flourish. Would I like to add another big possession WR or a blazer? Sure, why not, but it's very, very low down on my priority list. The real is question is Davis and the tight end position. If he's back and healthy this team has plenty of weapons at its disposal. The safety position, pass rushers and RT are all much higher up there. Another WR would be a luxury. The problem in Seattle was a QB too injured to move or throw.

I'm hoping since a lot of these guys have been on board for a while, that they understand the situation and will take a little less to stay here. Looking ahead, would you take a little more to play in Jacksonville, or a little less to stay here and finish what you started?

I'm hoping for the same, but there are plenty of other good team's out there. Realistically, most of our guys have more value to us than other teams. I think most team's wouldn't 'overpay' much for what most of these are - decent role players. However, these guys are pretty integral to our team and it's depth.

On the bright side, we can pay these guys a contract with a lower 1st year salary as long as we don't backload like Vinny and Co. did.

Back to the wrs, I'll be very curious to see the All-22 tape. I think some are overvaluing the Seattle dbs and undervaluing our wrs (not just in this game). It's not a great group of wrs, but it's solid, should improve with experience, and the scheme seems to get guys open pretty consistently (though a good portion of that should be credited to the wrs).

This was exactly the case. There was the int that I believe would have gone for 6 if RG3 could plant off that leg. That was the first underthrow that I saw on such a play all year. There was another play, I believe in the 4th, Garcon was wide open down the field...Griffin got set to throw but pulled it down and got sacked. Looked to me like he knew he couldn't make the throw.

There were so many things that attributed to the loss but those two plays really stood out.

Yeah, you aren't kidding. Considering Griffin is about a 50% thrower deep (1st or 2nd in the league, I believe?), you gotta figure a healthy Griffin hits at least one of those. Take away the bad snap, which a healthy Griffin probably would have recovered easily, and that's a huge swing in the game.

Imo I really like our receiving core as long as Garcon is healthy. All of the rest of them have roles to play and ways to contribute, Garcon is the complete receiver who opens up the field for the rest of them to flourish. Would I like to add another big possession WR or a blazer? Sure, why not, but it's very, very low down on my priority list. The real is question is Davis and the tight end position. If he's back and healthy this team has plenty of weapons at its disposal. The safety position, pass rushers and RT are all much higher up there. Another WR would be a luxury. The problem in Seattle was a QB too injured to move or throw.

Yep. Not to mention re-signing our own on the 'high priority' list.

I think just as the offensive line played better this year from playing together for a couple of years (except for Polumbus in pass protection), I think the receiving group will get better next year having a year with RGIII under there belt. I think if Garcon can stay healthy he will be a big play #1 wr and I think Morgan will show alot more in his second season here. I hope Moss comes back in the slot and Hankerson & Robinson progress and put in ALOT of work this offseason. I think that is the key. I am all for and I hope Davis resigns and comes back healthy and I think Davis, Paulsen & Paul are a good trio of Tight ends. If there is any money left after upgrades at S, CB & RT I would check out some wide receivers but it would not be a priority at this point.

Offseason is a zero sum game. Every personnel decision made reduces the ability to address another position. In year 1 of the Griffin/Kyle offense it was 4th in scoring and 5th in yards despite Garcon and Fred Davis missing most of the season. The offense will be fine with Davis and Garcon healthy plus Tana and the expanding contribution and growth from Morgan, Hankerson and Aldrick.

Also, I completely disagree the receivers got dominated. You don't get dominated when you jump out to a 14-0 lead. You're not getting dominated when receivers are getting open and the QB is too injured to get them ball. The receivers weren't the part of the offense that failed last week; it was injury to the QB.

That's the fact, Seattle was getting their asses handed to them before the injury to Griffin. This game would have been out of reach by the 4th quarter if the injury never happened.

The Seahawks have nothing on this Redskins team, imagine a healthy RG3, Garcon, Davis, RAK, AK and Meriweather all starting this playoff game. Seattle would have been throttled!!! This Redskins team will be healthy next season, with better additions added this offseason. I pray Seattle has to come back and face them.

That's the fact, Seattle was getting their asses handed to them before the injury to Griffin. This game would have been out of reach by the 4th quarter if the injury never happened.

The Seahawks have nothing on this Redskins team, imagine a healthy RG3, Davis, RAK, AK and Meriweather all starting this playoff game. Seattle would have been throttled!!!

We'll never know, obviously, but I tend to agree. This loss was more about what we didn't do than it was about what Seattle did. The fact that we did basically nothing on offense for 2.5 quarters and were still up by 1 says it all. Seattle had the ball within our 5 twice and only came away with 3 points. Gosh, I hope Atlanta crushes them today. I know Seattle had a good season, and I don't have anything against the team in general, but I think that people are getting a little too carried away with the praise. They're good, but not that good.

The Seahawks have nothing on this Redskins team, imagine a healthy RG3, Davis, RAK, AK and Meriweather all starting this playoff game. Seattle would have been throttled!!!

It will be interesting to see Garcon and Davis on the field at the same time if it works out next year. I think that would be a big difference. We were very solid this year with two rookies, lots of injuries and lots of new guys in the system. We have lots of room to grow. Could we use another WR, yes, but with the cap being what it is, I still think the D will get the bigger share of the attention.

We'll never know, obviously, but I tend to agree. This loss was more about what we didn't do than it was about what Seattle did. The fact that we did basically nothing on offense for 2.5 quarters and were still up by 1 says it all. Seattle had the ball within our 5 twice and only came away with 3 points. Gosh, I hope Atlanta crushes them today. I know Seattle had a good season, and I don't have anything against the team in general, but I think that people are getting a little too carried away with the praise. They're good, but not that good.
I totally agree, the Redskins missed so many opportunities to put that game away, even with a 1 legged QB. Seattle isn't the beast everyone is making them out to be, and if Atlanta brings their A-game, they will mop the floor with Seattle. It just depends which Falcons team shows up.

I totally agree, the Redskins missed so many opportunities to put that game away, even with a 1 legged QB. Seattle isn't the beast everyone is making them out to be, and if Atlanta brings their A-game, they will mop the floor with Seattle. It just depends which Falcons team shows up.

I think Atlanta shrugs their playoff woes today. Seattle would have been 10-6 if it weren't for the officials gifting them that TD against GB.

---------- Post added January-13th-2013 at 01:02 PM ----------

It will be interesting to see Garcon and Davis on the field at the same time if it works out next year. I think that would be a big difference. We were very solid this year with two rookies, lots of injuries and lots of new guys in the system. We have lots of room to grow. Could we use another WR, yes, but with the cap being what it is, I still think the D will get the bigger share of the attention.

Agreed. We also have to remember Helu will be back and hopefully healthy. The biggest need on O is on the right side of the line.

That's my point 2cents, this team won the division with many back ups and injuries to present players all year. How far would this team have gone if healthy? This offense is going to be damn near unstoppable with a healthy RG3, Garcon and Davis. The best part is they were just learning the system this year, wait till they get it down. Add our defensive starters returning and better depth in that area and the 2013 Redskins could be a Super Bowl contender for real.

We need to groom our own talent for once, I'm sick of having to look toward free agency for a receiver or skill guy, I know it's easier said than done, but I think we should give these guys more time in the same system, the more time to perfect it the better. Repetition = success. Just like in coaching.

How well did our constant HC and OC changes work out for us in the past decade or two? Not very well... Now we finally have some stability in those spots, we need some with our players and personnel as well.. We're going into year three with these young guys if they show no signs of any improvement next offseason then we should look for upgrades.

As for this year we still have way too many holes to be looking to upgrade a position we poked heavily at last year

Watching the first quarter of the Seattle-Atlanta game reminded me of how classless Seattle was. Hope Atlanta blows them out.

Regarding our game with Seattle, the Redskins for whatever reason got tired early. I saw it repeatedly...the Redskins sucking wind, hands on hips. Momentum shifted and we were on our heels for the entire final three quarters. We really did need one of our receivers to make a great play to help turn it around, but none was forthcoming.

Getting great joy out of the Falcons dominating Seattle right now. I think Seattle is a classless team. As for our game with em, its really as simple as RG3 healthy we are in Atlanta right now.

Yup, we love to over-analyze things but it has nothing to do with anything other than that.

RG3 healthy = 14-0

RG3 hobbled and playing through pain = 0-24 (of which all their points were scored on shortened fields due to a totally ineffective offense)

I'm most proud of the way our defense played, though. Not enough was said about that. My God, that was the best game of the year for them. It was especially amazing how they held that team to no points for a quarter and a half when it was 14-13 while our offense went 3 and out after 3 and out. That was special.

Archived