Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rosenthal: Mayor wants to discuss changing Redskins nickname

Tom [Giants fan]

Exactly. If the city gives us that ultimatum I say we just never move back. This ultra-PC crap is getting ridiculous. People don't take the time to understand CONTEXT any more... they just jump all over a single word or name. It's ****ing annoying.

Exactly, just look at the Brent Musberger thing. Blown way out of proportion.

So, you think a racist owner would willingly change his team's name to a racist term? Who would purposely name their professional sports team a derogatory name? Makes no sense at all.

It makes perfect sense. He didn't give a damn, he just wanted to sell tickets. I don't think he thought about it at all. From what I know about him, he would have named the team the Ni***ers if it would make him money.

When the team started, it was in Boston, the home of the Red Sox. I suspect that the name Redskins was chosen to try to get some association with them, but I can't prove it and frankly, it doesn't matter. What matters is whether the name is insensitive enough today to consider changing it to something less offensive.

Analogy: I loved my grandfather, but he was a product of his times (born in 1892) and he was racist as hell. I don't use the same terms for groups of people that he did in his day, and I am not disrespecting him or his memory by not doing so.

Exactly, just look at the Brent Musberger thing. Blown way out of proportion.

I saw a video of her (so hot) where she says she was very flattered by it. If the girl liked the comments why the hell is anyone else pissed about it? Maybe because they are an insecure idiot who has been trained to be offended by proxy for others. Pisses me off.

It makes perfect sense. He didn't give a damn, he just wanted to sell tickets. I don't think he thought about it at all. From what I know about him, he would have named the team the Ni***ers if it would make him money.

When the team started, it was in Boston, the home of the Red Sox. I suspect that the name Redskins was chosen to try to get some association with them, but I can't prove it and frankly, it doesn't matter. What matters is whether the name is insensitive enough today to consider changing it to something less offensive.

Analogy: I loved my grandfather, but he was a product of his times (born in 1892) and he was racist as hell. I don't use the same terms for groups of people that he did in his day, and I am not disrespecting him or his memory by not doing so.

They started out as the Braves and played in Braves Field in Boston. When they moved to Fenway Park, they changed their named to the Redskins. Who knows the real reason, but part of it was probably inspired by the Red Sox name.

That said, anyone who claims that they would stop supporting the Skins if they changed their name isn't really a fan that I would want to "share" a team with.

It's largely true (myself excluded of course), but it's still hurtful.

I don't think of them as midgets necessarily.

<<< Irish heritage here

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 02:52 PM ----------

But the issue is that would NEVER happen.

Of course not.

In fact, I suspect that the very same guys who say that everyone is too politically correct and should stop whining would be up in arms if someone tried that. :ols:

I know this was a joke, but I wonder if this is an approach that could be looked at. Is there a way to not change the name, and still appease those that are continually bringing it up.

I doubt it. Probably gonna deal with it forever but we will hold strong. God knows Snyder will never allow anyone to tell him what to do about the name

None of those are really the same, are they? The name isn't "Native Americans" or "Powhatans" or something. Its Redskins. :whoknows:

I was responding to the question in the article, which, word-for-word, was:

Can you imagine any other ethnic group being a nickname/mascot for a team?

My point was, regardless of your feelings on the name, the article itself was problematic on a few fronts.

There is 0% chance that this joker will be re-elected. His numbers are in the toilet after all of his scandals.

and when the good people of the district think youre too corrupt to stay be in office, it must be really bad.

Archived