Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rosenthal: Mayor wants to discuss changing Redskins nickname

Tom [Giants fan]

I doubt it. Probably gonna deal with it forever but we will hold strong. God knows Snyder will never allow anyone to tell him what to do about the name

I guess my concern is that this will become such a large issue, that it will overshadow the results on the field. I don't want that. I want our Redskin teams to be recognized for their accomplishments. I know that may sound like I'm giving in, but I just don't see how we continue to use the name Redskins indefinately. Public opinion is going to force the issue sooner or later. If we kept everything exactly the same, and just changed the name back to Braves....honestly I could live with that.

First, the indigenous people of America are not called "Indians". They are called Native Americans. I find it ironic that people get offended by the name Redskins but then proceed to use an "offensive" name themselves.

Secondly, as previous posters have stated we are not moving back to D.C anytime soon no matter how much some want to. What Mayor Gray thinks about our "nickname" is irrelevant.

Wait people are offended by the name Indians now too?> Oh my, lol.

Lets change the name to The Washington Dorky White Guys, would that be offensive?

Oh wait, I know, even better, how bout the Washington Cornball Brothers. lol :)

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 04:07 PM ----------

They started out as the Braves and played in Braves Field in Boston. When they moved to Fenway Park, they changed their named to the Redskins. Who knows the real reason, but part of it was probably inspired by the Red Sox name.

That said, anyone who claims that they would stop supporting the Skins if they changed their name isn't really a fan that I would want to "share" a team with.

Id still root for them, but theres a lot of people that are fans of this team that never been to DC.

I think Ive told my story before but when I was 5 years old I was playing hte "claw" machine at a Pizza Hut and won a Redskins doll. My dad told me who it was and that night we went home and the Redskins were on tv beating the Lions 45-0 (I think that was the final score). I KNEW that from then on that was my team, and I barely ever miss game ever since (on TV of course, never had enough $$ for a trip to go to the game).

Anyways, my point is, its not Washington that made me a fan, its the Redskins name/doll/symbol etc;

If they change that, it honestly does make me feel like I lost a part of me. Also, again as I stated before, I have a tattoo of the helmet emblem on my forearm for everyone to see, and if this is changed, I can honestly say Ill be heart broken, and I dont know how bad Id feel, Id still be a fan, but Id be very upset about it, this is a subject that I defend to the death because Im not a "homer" Im a random fan from a different city and I love this team just as much, if not more, than all of you and I love my Skins. I loved being different then every stupid Steeler fan. I was so proud that after all the bad years I stick with them, and to change the name, it really would hurt me.

I thought DC was trying to persuade the Redskins to move back rather than the other way around? I'm very leery of name changes - Bullets to Wizards was a disaster. We'd probably wind up with another loser name. I guess the Washington Patomacks isn't in the cards since Indian tribes are not allowed. Do we have to stick with animals or European tribes (Saxons, Highlanders, etc)? All boring and not really applicable to DC history.

I thought DC was trying to persuade the Redskins to move back rather than the other way around? I'm very leery of name changes - Bullets to Wizards was a disaster. We'd probably wind up with another loser name. I guess the Washington Patomacks isn't in the cards since Indian tribes are not allowed. Do we have to stick with animals or European tribes (Saxons, Highlanders, etc)? All boring and not really applicable to DC history.

I shudder to even lend legitimacy to this by contributing, but I would have to imagine we'd become the Warriors. The rumor when Snyder bought the team was that he also bought the rights to that name too. The reasoning was for a potential arena league team, but it would keep the same theme of Redskins and probably allow us to maintain the colors, logo, etc.

I guess my concern is that this will become such a large issue, that it will overshadow the results on the field. I don't want that. I want our Redskin teams to be recognized for their accomplishments. I know that may sound like I'm giving in, but I just don't see how we continue to use the name Redskins indefinately. Public opinion is going to force the issue sooner or later. If we kept everything exactly the same, and just changed the name back to Braves....honestly I could live with that.

I agree w/ you on all points except the Braves part. The Native theme needs to be abandoned if we're ever going to reverse growing resentment. Pigskins would work for me, until PETA gets involved.

I shudder to even lend legitimacy to this by contributing, but I would have to imagine we'd become the Warriors. The rumor when Snyder bought the team was that he also bought the rights to that name too. The reasoning was for a potential arena league team, but it would keep the same theme of Redskins and probably allow us to maintain the colors, logo, etc.

if we had to change. Warriors or Braves...both fine with me. Keep all other traditions and history. ....but then you know there will be ****ing that Washington D.C. (the capitol of the free world) has a sports team named the "Warriors"

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Which is maybe in and of itself a compelling case to just say **** it...force us to change it. I don't know.

if we had to change. Warriors or Braves...both fine with me. Keep all other traditions and history. ....but then you know there will be ****ing that Washington D.C. (the capitol of the free world) has a sports team named the "Warriors"

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Which is maybe in and of itself a compelling case to just say **** it...force us to change it. I don't know.

Braves would be good too (if FORCED to change it to something). Could we keep Hail to the Redskins?

The Seminole Tribe are on the FSU payroll and have given their full support of the name FYI

I've mentioned this in a thread before, but a school district on the Indian Reservation near me is the Wellpinit Redskins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Dietz

You would think if everyone had some context they would stop arguing every year to change the name.

Plus, Snyder will never change the name.

I read the Wiki Page. I live in Spokane, WA and Dietz got into some trouble around here and was in our county jail. I'm curious now if the Indian school mascot of the Redskins I mentioned above is related in any way, interesting

I could handle any of those names honestly. I mentioned in another thread that I wouldn't even mind the Washington Natives, as to keep our logo, colors, fight song, etc. in tact.

I just don't know how I would feel about our team changing names and logos. It would be a sad, sad day for me and my family. We look at the name as a symbol of tradition and pride... if you hated someone why would you name yourself after them? Think about it....

i've been saying for a while now that i loathe this issue in all of its forms...but i can see the writing on the wall.

my favorite option would be to change the name to the Warriors & go with an Oregon Ducks-esque uniform situation where we change the uniform from game to game to represent various "Warriors" throughout human history or keep it specifically throughout American History. you could go Desert Camo, Digital Camo, Jungle Camo, Apachee, Seminole, Aztec, Revolutionary, Union, Black-Ops....that's just the American versions i can think of off the top of my head. i think this would be a great Marketing opportunity & a revolutionary uniform idea that could make us just as unique as our rich history. it goes with defending D.C., & by covering varying bases of Warrior Culture it severely dilutes any potential for offending. of course, you can't please everyone...but i'm sure the only complaints you would get at that point would be similar to those made by people who whined about the Bullets & the like.

ultimately i don't want the name to change, but realistically i don't think we'll be able to stem the tide on this one unfortunately.

really...i think if you have an issue with the Redskins moniker, then you have to take umbrage with the Vikings, the Fighting Irish, the Indians (especially this one...perhaps the MOST offensive Native American slang term), the Chiefs, the Buccaneers, the Raiders, the fact that the Lions are blue (this is clearly disrespectful to the Lions who have golden fur....), the Saints (why would Saints take part in a violent sport???).....i mean, seriously folks. what are we talking about here?

Jacksonville Jaguars offends me because of no jaguars

New England patriots offends me because we're all patriotic

Kansas City Chiefs offends me because theres no CHEFs

San Deigo Charger offends me because there no batteries

Miami Dolphins offends me because I see Dophins everywhere but not in downtown Miami.

Tennessee Titans offends me because I think of the HS team.

Atlanta Falcons offends me because I never saw a Falcon in Atlanta minus the jet

NY Jets offends me for various reasons

NY Giants offends me because I'm sure theres short people in NJ.

I just don't know how I would feel about our team changing names and logos. It would be a sad, sad day for me and my family. We look at the name as a symbol of tradition and pride... if you hated someone why would you name yourself after them? Think about it....

The specific current logo could change (I've been wanting a retro look for the past few years anyway), but the theme would need to stay the same. We'd need burgundy and gold and have to have some logo that captured the Redskins theme (spear, feathers, etc.).

Archived