Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rosenthal: Mayor wants to discuss changing Redskins nickname

Tom [Giants fan]

I always wonder why it is never a problem to have teams called Devils, Saints, on top of all the others mentioned ?

Paint with a broad brush on something like this if you want change. Can't pick just one team. Giants are offensive to big people, Cowboys are offensive to real cowboys, Animal mascots are offensive to animal rights activists, etc. Take it to the next level on that type of topic...Why would the Tennessee female basketball players have to be called Lady Vols ? Wouldn't all of them be volunteers ? Sexist.

This **** is always so stupid to me.

If a name change were to occur...I want Dan to do everything to get the rights to the name and colors, I am sure fans would pay 20-40 bucks for a 3 dollar T-shirt in support to protect it.

I agree with some other posters. DC wants the Redskins as much as the Redskins want DC. Truth of the matter is...start buying up that property around Raljon/Landover, get NoVA and SoVa involved in some talks and let the games begin. Richmond Redskins sounds good to me. The market is the same television market really and would be unless DC just decided to become Ravens fans...pfft.

And PSL's are part of the reason less people are going to games and instead watching at homes. It's not an investment, it's a purchase with nearly zero real investment potential. How many of you want to sign up for that crap.

Maybe an option, is to press someone in the media who is interested in the real truth of the issue...not what a hater or a reactionary type thinks....to interview a respected scholar who understands the historical significance of the term "Redskin." At least this would clear up a lot of the misinformation...at least I hope it would.

I think this is where Dan Snyder needs to bring in a historical scholar and do PR to clear up misinformation and educate people on the term Redskin along with other Native American culture. Profits (if for some reason there were any) from doing so can go to Native American charities.

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 08:02 AM ----------

When you have national columnists like Peter King talking about this issue from a racial standpoint, Dan should arrange for a respected scholar to debate with Peter on the issue and put the term into historical context. Also the scholar could talk to him about team names like Devils, Blackhawks, etc.

---------- Post added January-10th-2013 at 08:02 AM ----------

When you have national columnists like Peter King talking about this issue from a racial standpoint, Dan should arrange for a respected scholar to debate with Peter on the issue and put the term into historical context. Also the scholar could talk to him about team names like Devils, Blackhawks, etc.

[quote name=Kosher Ham;9392918

' date=' Animal mascots are offensive to animal rights activists, etc. .[/quote]

Don't use us as an example. I have yet to see any animal rights advocates seek the change of animal based names. Now we do have issues with using animals as "mascots" during the game (ie running a buffalo onto a football field etc) but to call Colorado the "Buffalos" is not an issue at all.

As for the subject of the thread, the leverage for now is still with the Redskins. They can stay where they are or open up the bidding when the Landover site lease is up and there will be no shortage of suitors for the team and there will be no request of them changing the name.

I will say though that once upon a time, I felt that the Redskin name will never nor should ever be changed. The team has done alot to change stereotyping that took place on game days (the band no longer wears headdresses or "indian" themed gear and the cheerleaders no longer wear "squaw" like outfits. But now I am open to changing the logo because I do understand that you are using the stereotyped image of a people as your logo and that eventually this will likely lead to the change of the name.

As long as we keep our history (and color scheme), that is all that really matters.

I have no dog in this fight. If the team changed the name I'd still support them. If they don't change the name ill continue to support them. I've always thought change to the name warriors and using the spear logo was a simple enough change. Either way, I don't care.

I have no dog in this fight. If the team changed the name I'd still support them. If they don't change the name ill continue to support them. I've always thought change to the name warriors and using the spear logo was a simple enough change. Either way, I don't care.

I agree with this. I don't find it offensive, but I'm hardly Indian. People constantly have a problem with the name, but it's hard to tell if it's for attention or not.

I agree with this.. i'd still support the team.

My main problem with this particular situation is that it's a prime example of PC gone amok..

CFor one, the people it supposedly offends have said over and over and over and overwhlmingly that it does NOT offend them.

And yet we have a contingency in this land who still thinks that they must be too stupid, or savage, or whatever, to know why they should be offended, and so they will take it upon themselves to be offended for them.

that just drives me insane.

In the effort to be respectful and non-offensive, these people have ignored the most basic reason why we should be good to one another, and that is to mind your own business and let people live in peace... and respect,, in my mind the first way you can ever give anyone respect is to listen to them when they talk.

When the "offended" say they're not offended, that should answer the question, and should tell anyone LISTENING that the book should then be closed.

Going beyond that is just as disrespectful as the injustice they perceive t be fighting.

I don't rightly care if it offends some white woman living in her Georgetown townhouse. It's not her business.

If it personally offends her because her sensibilities are so delicate, then she has a choice,, she can fight for those who can't fight for themselves, which is not the case, or she could root for another team.

Like the Buffalo Bills, who have the single most offensive name in all of sports when it comes to Native Americans.

But no one ever ****es about them.

~Bang

I agree with this.. i'd still support the team.

My main problem with this particular situation is that it's a prime example of PC gone amok..

CFor one, the people it supposedly offends have said over and over and over and overwhlmingly that it does NOT offend them.

And yet we have a contingency in this land who still thinks that they must be too stupid, or savage, or whatever, to know why they should be offended, and so they will take it upon themselves to be offended for them.

that just drives me insane.

i'm glad you said that. because i feel the exact same way. honestly, few things have made me want to pull my hair out like this issue.

their not offended, they use the name for their own teams, yet every damn week some columnist or politician or talk show host is screaming it has to be changed.

i dont get it. wtf am i missing?

its absolutely maddening.

Call'em the Hogs, put the snout on the helmet.

Combine this with the Americans are Fat and dying faster than 16 other countries thread and i think we can have a Stadium of Mascots (Chief Zee way too skinny)

Five Guys Stadium with a bag of Fries on home games with each club seat!!! that would also cause a constant recirculation of season tickets

win/win

i dont know if this has already been said but i say if somehow were forced, we dont change the name and make our mascot be a potato.. unless that will offend farmers

Peanut mascot would be better. It only makes sense because redskin peanut farmers have mad love for George Washington Carver. They won't take offense.

I'd be pretty upset if they changed the name. I've already had to endure that with the Bullets. I hate the name Wizards. Absolutely hate it. Maybe because the "name the team" contest was a complete farce when everyone and their brother knew Pollin loved the name Wizards. Redskins is all I have known and from a personal standpoint, I've never conotated it with anything negative, but that's just my opinion. I'd be devastated if the name gets changed while I'm still alive. After I die, go ahead.

As a Cowboys fan living in DC I'm pretty much an outside observer. It's interesting to me how how this keeps cropping up though, and when I was walking around downtown today I noticed that the American Indian Museum will be having a free seminar about these kinds of things in February.

Maybe some die-hard skins fans could go there and share their point of view?

http://nmai.si.edu/sites/1/files/pdf/seminars-symposia/RacistStereotypes_Guide.pdf (pdf)

Join commentators, scholars, authors, and representatives from sports organizations for a series of panel discussions on racist stereotypes and cultural appropriation in American sports. Explore the mythology and psychology of sports stereotypes and mascots, examine the retirement of “Native American” sports references and collegiate efforts to revive them despite the NCAA’s policy against “hostile and abusive” nicknames and symbols, and engage in a lively community conversation about the name and logo of the Washington, DC, professional football organization. Reception follows.

Archived