Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rosenthal: Mayor wants to discuss changing Redskins nickname

Tom [Giants fan]

Jacksonville Jaguars offends me because of no jaguars

New England patriots offends me because we're all patriotic

Kansas City Chiefs offends me because theres no CHEFs

San Deigo Charger offends me because there no batteries

Miami Dolphins offends me because I see Dophins everywhere but not in downtown Miami.

Tennessee Titans offends me because I think of the HS team.

Atlanta Falcons offends me because I never saw a Falcon in Atlanta minus the jet

NY Jets offends me for various reasons

NY Giants offends me because I'm sure theres short people in NJ.

Giants is a very offensive name because there are people with gigantism. It's so stereotypical and ignores their struggles. I can't believe they still use it in 2013 for goodness sakes!

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 04:23 PM ----------

A new stadium is needed, or at minimum they need to continue to work on Fed Ex Field....I love the nickname, but don't understand the fanatical resistance to changing the name.

You don't understand the FANatical resistance? Did you see what they did to the Bullets?

I know most Redskins fans don't agree with me on this, but I am a lifelong fan who would support the name change.

If we were to change the name, we would have to find a way to do so that would allow us to keep the logo and colors and tradition.

One idea is to change the name back to the original "Braves," but my personal favorite is to change the name to "Nation." Washington Nation has a nice ring to it and would allow us to keep the same mascot, logo, and fit the tune of the fight song.

I know most of you guys disagree, so blame my liberal sensibilities if you must. I will continue to love this team as I always have either way.

really...i think if you have an issue with the Redskins moniker, then you have to take umbrage with the Vikings, the Fighting Irish, the Indians (especially this one...perhaps the MOST offensive Native American slang term), the Chiefs, the Buccaneers, the Raiders, the fact that the Lions are blue (this is clearly disrespectful to the Lions who have golden fur....), the Saints (why would Saints take part in a violent sport???).....i mean, seriously folks. what are we talking about here?

This guy presents the opposite view pretty well, I think.

I could handle any of those names honestly. I mentioned in another thread that I wouldn't even mind the Washington Natives, as to keep our logo, colors, fight song, etc. in tact.

Instead of Washington "Natives," how about Washington "Nation"?

My reasoning is in my above post, but mostly I just like the way that sounds.

I always thought that if we had to change the name, the best option was to just call them "skins." I also don't think "pigskins" (which the City Paper uses) is all that bad. You could easily keep the fight song, signage, and the name has a an obvious link to the Hogs and football, itself.

Agree on the Pigskins. It's a great way to make a change, but also embrace team history. A name like Warriors is just so bland and generic. It's the FedEx field of team names.

Sure, after they change the Indians, the Seminoles, the Braves, the Chiefs, the Blackhawks, etc.

After all that is done, then come see us.

Lets not forget the Minnesota Vikings, Edmonton Eskimos (CFL), Boston Celtics (NBA), Fighting Irish (NCAA), San Diego State Aztecs (NCAA) among many more.

;9391611']I looked to see if this was posted already and didn't see it. This sounds more serious than I have ever seen it when it comes to the Redskins and a name change.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000124151/article/mayor-wants-to-discuss-changing-redskins-nickname

Vincent Gray is a corrupt d bag, he is giving Maybor Berry a run for his money, he needs to shut up. :)

If we have to suffer through a couple more miserable decades of bad teams...then you can change it,provided that the change is backdated to 1993.. that way I can wax nostalgic about the goold old days of Redskins football and lament its departure when the team folded and the expansion Warriors came to town.

Sort of like when we had that great basketball team the Bullets before they went broke and disappeared.

That offends me, too. I'm offended by any team that uses a reference to any group of people in any way.

I have been saying this for years, whenever this topic comes up. The term "Fighting Irish" is clearly meant to refer to drunk Irish people ( I am 50% of Irish descent) fighting in bars and what not.

The problem our team's name presents is this one. No other team name, whether based on a racial stereo-type or some other relic of long ago specifically refer to a person's skin tone. This is why people refuse to see it the same. Skin tone is the flash point.

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 04:52 PM ----------

Do you think people would stop bothering us if we changed the team name to the "Skins", instead of the "Redskins"?

I don't, and that is mainly why I would like the issue put to rest. I just don't see how a name change can be averted over the long-term. I'm not saying I'm happy about it, but I'm resigned to accept it as a reality.

Pretty much sums up what's wrong with todays society. The group its about doesn't really seem to care. People that have no real ties to Native Americans seem to be offended. Love when this happens. It's just a word that holds no significance to todays world other than making people think about a football team. I'd like to see a gallup poll of what people think immeadiately upon hearing the word "Redskins". Such a joke.

Do you think people would stop bothering us if we changed the team name to the "Skins", instead of the "Redskins"?

I don't, and that is mainly why I would like the issue put to rest. I just don't see how a name change can be averted over the long-term. I'm not saying I'm happy about it, but I'm resigned to accept it as a reality.

I have been saying this for years, whenever this topic comes up. The term "Fighting Irish" is clearly meant to refer to drunk Irish people ( I am 50% of Irish descent) fighting in bars and what not.

The problem our team's name presents is this one. No other team name, whether based on a racial stereo-type or some other relic of long ago specifically refer to a person's skin tone. This is why people refuse to see it the same. Skin tone is the flash point..

I completely understand you... but why does it matter? So... people call me white. My skin actually looks white. Native American skin has traditionally been referred to as red. It is in no way judgmental... it's simply the color. Native Americans seem to think it's okay to use for their high schools, so why can't we use the same name as a symbol of pride... especially when it is (apparently) named for one of our coaches who was Native American?

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 04:59 PM ----------

If our name changes ...ever... I will still call this team the Redskins, sing HTTR, and wear my Redskins gear. People are too damned sensitive to **** that doesn't even affect them.

I love this team, but I can't believe that people really don't think there is anything potentially insensitive about the word "Redskin."

Do any of you young'uns know the original words to Hail to the Redskins?

Hail to the Redskins!

Hail Victory!

Braves on the Warpath!

Fight for old Dixie!

Scalp 'um, swamp 'um -- We will getum big score

Read 'um, weep 'um, touchdown - we want heap more

Fight on, Fight on -- 'Till you have won

Sons of Washington. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!

Red man want to scalpum and getum heap more touchdowns? Come on. That is cliche stereotype city.

You know, when Walt Disney made his classic movie Peter Pan, I'm sure that he wasn't trying to offend anyone. But the fact remains that his "What makes the Red man red?" song is pretty damn bad, and if you were Native American it would bug you.

dammit why can't I embed video anymore?

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 04:07 PM ----------

I completely understand you... but why does it matter? So... people call me white. My skin actually looks white. Native American skin has traditionally been referred to as red. It is in no way judgmental... it's simply the color.

It's kind of easy to feel that it doesn't matter when you are not the one from the marginalized minority group that is affected by this.

Heck, who cares if you sit in the front or the back of the bus? I like sitting in the back. :whoknows:

(yes I know the situations are not exactly the same.... just making a point)

I would rather this franchise be stuck in the muck and mire of another 30 years of mediocrity and bad football than change the name. I'm not passionate about much, but this is one thing I'll fight to the death on.

Wow,..just wow.

So, you're passionate about the name "Redskins". Not a potential winning football team that represents the city of Washington D.C.?

Good ****ing god,...

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 04:07 PM ----------

[/color]

It's kind of easy to feel that it doesn't matter when you are not the one from the marginalized minority group that is affected by this.

Heck, who cares if you sit in the front or the back of the bus? I like sitting in the back. :whoknows:

(yes I know the situations are not exactly the same.... just making a point)

So I think you are pointing out that Gray needs to shut his trap. He isn't part of the affected minority. Very few of us are... and studies have shown over and over that the name isn't offensive to Native Americans AND they use it themselves.

Conclusion: people need to stop being offended by proxy b/c it makes them look like fools.

I completely understand you... but why does it matter? So... people call me white. My skin actually looks white. Native American skin has traditionally been referred to as red. It is in no way judgmental... it's simply the color. Native Americans seem to think it's okay to use for their high schools, so why can't we use the same name as a symbol of pride... especially when it is (apparently) named for one of our coaches who was Native American?

---------- Post added January-9th-2013 at 04:59 PM ----------

If our name changes ...ever... I will still call this team the Redskins, sing HTTR, and wear my Redskins gear. People are too damned sensitive to **** that doesn't even affect them.

Agree, people need to sack up. The people that are easily offended by this crap have their own personal problems and confidence issues. Words don't harm or bother people of confidence, because they know better. I have never seen a word physically or mentally harm someone unless they themselves let it harm them.

Red man want to scalpum and getum heap more touchdowns? Come on. That is cliche stereotype city.

You know, when Walt Disney made his classic movie Peter Pan, I'm sure that he wasn't trying to offend anyone. But the fact remains that his "What makes the Red man red?" song is pretty damn bad, and if you were Native American it would bug you.

It's kind of easy to think it would be offensive when you aren't in the minority group it's about. This is total crap... you said you aren't Native American so it's offensive to put words in their mouth. Disgusting.

It's kind of easy to think it would be offensive when you aren't in the minority group it's about. This is total crap... you said you aren't Native American so it's offensive to put words in their mouth. Disgusting.

Yeah, ok then.

I linked to a video by a native american who opposes the name, and he explains why in detail. Did you listen to it?

Here's another link if you missed it.

Archived