Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 FA Thread (Updates on OP) New: Merling, Brace, Pashos, Trueblood, EJBig, Tapp, White, Williams, MATTHEWS; Re-up: Rex, Hall, Davis, Paulsen, DY, RJax, Lich, Sundberg, Baker, Sav, Golston, Kehl, Polumbus; Paycuts: Carriker, Moss, BMeri, J. Wilson

DC9

Nice. I was hoping we would draft him in the 08' draft, but he went at #32, two picks before our 1st 2nd rounder. He's a big DE, 6'5" 315. Ideal size as a 3-4 end. FYI, he's from VA...hometown Portsmouth. Went to Fork Union.

Insurance in case Carriker doesn't fully recover from his ACL injury?

He actually reminds me of the Kentwan Balmer pickup a couple years ago. Minimal risk on a high talent relatively young player.

Yeah but that is taking a huge bite out of the look a like thread, lol.

More importantly, Ryan didn't seem to have a good answer for us, we balled out in game one, and in game two he just sort of stuck two safeties deep and threw his hands up when we ran it down his throat all night. I'd hate to think someone competent might take his place.

What are people's thoughts on Ryan Harris. He's currently with Houston, playing in their zone blocking scheme. He was seemingly rescued off the scrap heap. I don't know if he'd be an upgrade over Polumbus, but if Houston doesn't retain him for backup purposes he probably comes cheap and will know the system reasonably well.

Yeah but that is taking a huge bite out of the look a like thread, lol.

I'm just glad we don't have to play the Seahawks again. That McQuistan guy on their offensive line still gives me nightmares. The only scary Look-a-Like thread I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure he is not human.

He actually reminds me of the Kentwan Balmer pickup a couple years ago. Minimal risk on a high talent relatively young player.

Read my mind. Weren't both those guys drafted in the same year? And also the name Glenn Dorsey sort of pops into my mind whenever Merling or Balmer are mentioned. :whoknows:

Alright...been rethinking my earlier post given what some have said in this thread.

We're going to have a massively small cap number, likely making the ability to land a top tier FA amazingly difficult if we want to fill our other holes. Without a first round pick, I think we need to fill our holes for 2013 starters with FA rather than banking on draft picks starting next year. I think taking lessons from 2011 (When we took someone like Bowen over Cullen Jenkins) and 2012 (going for the younger/cheaper Garcon than Jackson) is important. As such, this is going to be my criteria.

1) Youth - The player must be under 30, and the younger the better

2) Cost - The player should be in the range of the #3 to #6 FA at his position, unless home grown

3) Scheme - Players that fit our schemes on O and D are rated higher

4) Skill : Risk - Going lower price means taking more risk, but the risk should be offset by legitimate skill or potential

Based on those criteria, here's my view

Safeties: Kenny Phillips and Tanard Jackson

I now think Phillips is THE Guy we need to go for this position. Young, talented, but injury risk makes him in our price range. Signing Tanard gives us the backup plan for if/when Phillips gets injured.

Cornerback: Sean Smith, Keenan Lewis, Leodis McKelvin, or Tracey Porter. Renegotiate Hall OR resign Griffin

Smith would give us a big, physical corner which we currently lack. Lewis was pretty stout in pass defense all year. Porter and McKelvin both have an injury problem, but good talent. Add Sam Shields to this list if the tender isn't too high OR Aqib Talib to it if his off field stuff drives people away despite him being a good boy in NE

Tight End: Fred Davis OR Dustin Keller; tender or extend Logan Paulsen

Try to lock Fred up now while he's coming off two negative seasons. If not, franchise him if it's doable under the cap. If that's too big of a hit, look at Keller.

Right Tackle: Andre Smith OR Ryan Harris OR Branden Albert; if none, Tyler Polumbus

All three of the above tackles come from teams that typically, or at times, run a ZBS. If you can't get any of them, roll with Polumbus for continuity and let the youth compete

Wide Receiver: (IF we lose Santana) Austin Collie OR Johnny Knox

I think either of these guys could be a reasonably priced pickup to work the slot if Moss is not retained.

Top Priorities In House (not already listed): Extend Darrel Young, Resign Rob Jackson, Resign Kory Lichtenstieger, Resign Lorenzo Alexander

These are our free agents that, restricted or otherwise, that I think we pay reasonable contracts to and attempt to lock up for a few more years. None are regarded CURRENTLY as a top guy at their position in the league, but have played very well for us and are starter quality, so now is the time to lock them up.

Secondary Priorities in House (not already listed): Tender or extent Chris Baker, extend Nick Sundberg, Resign Sav Rocca

Baker's shown promise as a Nose Tackle to pair with Neild for the future. Nick Sundberg seems to be a very solid long snapper. Rocca's been on point punting. All should be had for reasonable cash.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Summary

I think this gives us our best shot at filling all our needs with starter quality people in FA at reasonable prices and thus staying under cap. This allows the pressure to be off our draft picks backs, and if they end up starting quality this year then it's just bonus.

Best case here would have us picking up a starting FS, Cornerback, and Right Tackle while resigning Fred Davis, replacing Moss with a solid slot guy if we can't renegotiate, and resigning our promising in-house role players. All in a way that SHOULD be able to keep us under the cap thanks to these players likely lower price tags.

I think we pick up one safety in FA (either Phillips or Goldson). Meriweather comes back, and even if Jackson doesn't get reinstated, we'll have Meriweather, new guy, Doughty, Gomes, and Pugh back there. That's not a bad bunch.

As for corner, I don't think we sign anyone new. Hall restructures, and we'll have him, Wilson, Griffin (who was playing fairly well), Crawford, and Minnifield coming off of IR. Wouldn't object though if we did bring someone in.

At tight end, we'll re-sign Davis and roll with Davis, Paulsen, and Paul

WR will be driven by if Moss comes back. If he does, I don't think we'll bring anyone in. We have a strong group. If he doesn't, look for a similar type player.

OL we'll resign Lichensteiger and probably go after a RT.

RB we'll resign Young and roll with what we have.

LB we should bring back Jackson, and depending on if Fletcher retires, we'll stay with what we have at MLB.

Consolidating that list, I think we go after OL, S, possibly CB, and possible LB

As a note, if we got Phillips I imagine people will want him to switch numbers

Definitely.

However, he did pick 21 as a tribute to Sean:

Entering mini-camp, Phillips chose to wear the number 21 as a tribute to the late Sean Taylor, who, like Phillips, played safety at the University of Miami and wore the number 21 when he played for the Washington Redskins.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-first-rounder-kenny-phillips-embraces-sean-taylor-number-spirit-article-1.329984

The 21-year-old Phillips said he's wearing it "out of respect" to him.

"He was a guy who my whole career, even in high school, I had pictures of him in my locker," Phillips said. "I wanted to get a chance to meet him, and I never did. I watch him on film and he was just an exceptional athlete. The plays he made were crazy. I just wanted to pay my respects by having his number and trying to live up to that."

I don't see how Andre Smith would be a good signing for us at all. I'm sure he's matured but he just didn't seem to have his head in the game a few years ago and he was quite a bit out of shape. Not exactly what we want him in a ZBS for. I know he does some in Cincy, but from watching some highlights he seems to not move very well for our stretch plays.

Who knows I suppose, and its up to the staff and they may see something in him I can't obviously.

If you want to play we in the Redskins' East Coast Pistol Whip Offense you HAVE to be a good blocker. Per PFF Greg Jennings is only the 66th best blocking WR in the NFL and Mike Wallace is the 83rd effectively eliminating themselves from contention. (By comparison Garçon is 7th and Morgan is 14th.)

The only major free agent I'm into is Jairus Byrd. I would spend whatever on him but I feel confident that Bufallo will franchise tag him if they can't get a deal done. Kenny Phillips Is an injury nightmare that will not be as cheap as people think. I'd much rather use our limited money in resigning our own free agents anyways if we can't get Byrd.

In terms of trading for Percy Harvin I'd be all in on that only if it costs only the third round pick.

Glover Quin is an in-the-box SS.

But his specialty is pass coverage. Most would assume that an "in-the-box SS" would be there for primary run support, with negating abilities in coverage. Quin however can run support as well, but he stands out in pass coverage.

He's a hybrid player that is used like an old-school Rover, yet in a modern design for the Houston 3-4. He single covers TEs the vast majority of time in passing situations. He'll also press the Slot. He is "90%" of the time, in-the-box on any given snap, and it's been that way throughout the year. I say "90%" not as a specific calculation but to reiteration that after you've watched a good amount of tape on him, you understand his role. Use game rewind for any Houston game and you'll see the distinction needed to be made between his role at HOU and what folks are casually calling "FS."

His role is something that the Skins really don't apply currently, or have, to their scheme. People casually titling him a FS ... I guess haven't watched him play.

I'm not making a broad-based statement that he can't play FS, because he's very athletic and probably could, but his role currently is hybrid, "Nickel LB," or "Rover SS." And folks should know the distinction.

He's also a bigger name than people are making him out to be. He's not in the same conversation, level, as Kenny Phillips - :ols: - as some have made it to be (implication being he's middling or "on the cheap"). Nothing against Phillips.

Quin is a known name. He is very good at what he does and will command a pretty penny.

He's tops in terms of passes defended. At least for a safety he is. And I haven't looked at nor am I using any stats for reference ...

Actually just did a quick search ... Quin has 17 PDs on the year, regular and post-season combined. He's 2nd behind Ed Reed (18) for all of the Safeties league wide and rivals some of the top CBs too. There's not another SS who is near him in PDs, only the other Free Safeties seem to be able to rival him in PDs ... and that's just representative of the FS at large getting more action in the pass game as opposed to the SS. The safeties that are behind Reed and Quin, don't have near the same numbers (around 9 to 11 PDs). In fact league wide when you look at the stats, the next in line is Michael Huff at 13, who has been playing CB, not his usual FS, in Oakland.

So you see, he's doing something that few other safeties are doing, but it's especially poignant since he's single covering larger TEs and quick Slot receivers on SINGLE MAN.

When you watch him (Quin), you'll see just how tight his coverage can be. how physical he gets with guys who are much larger than he and you'll see the ball skills to disrupt the completion of a pass.

Quin is a known name.

__

I don't want Tracy Porter. He is constantly letting guys overtop, always giving steps. It's was like that in New Orleans and it's like that in Denver. Aside from a handful of highlight plays (actually I can only think of the Super Bowl INT), his average play to play is not that inspiring. Gives up more than he takes away. He's not all that.

__

Sam Shields is a Restricted Free Agent. RFAs don't change teams. It's cost effective for the Parent team to tender the player and even if a qualifying tender sheet is offered by a suitor team, the exchange of draft picks (compensation based on tender) really hinders any transactions in RFA - league wide.

Not a single RFA changed teams in 2011. To my knowledge, it was the same in 2012. In fact, I don't think any offer sheets were even handed out to any of the 42 RFAs, of 2012.

__

To my knowledge, no one has mentioned Cary Williams in here. He has already been covered in the comprehensive, Talib as well.

Cary Williams: like his ball skills, especially on deflections (tip-drill). In fact, a couple of his INTs this year were from deflected passes that he just corralled in. His length and anticipation also stand out. Part of the success has to be credited to the Baltimore D at large, but that's part and parcel with free agent acquisitions, incorporation or assimilating players from successful programs. FYI Williams has 19 PDs on the year, (5 INTs).

He's a hybrid player that is used like an old-school Rover, yet in a modern design for the Houston 3-4. He single covers TEs the vast majority of time in passing situations. He'll also press the Slot. He is "90%" of the time, in-the-box on any given snap, and it's been that way throughout the year. I say "90%" not as a specific calculation but to reiteration that after you've watched a good amount of tape on him, you understand his role. Use game rewind for any Houston game and you'll see the distinction needed to be made between his role at HOU and what folks are casually calling "FS."

His role is something that the Skins really don't apply currently, or have, to their scheme. People casually titling him a FS ... I guess haven't watched him play.

I'm not making a broad-based statement that he can't play FS, because he's very athletic and probably could, but his role currently is hybrid, "Nickel LB," or "Rover SS." And folks should know the distinction.

He's also a bigger name than people are making him out to be. He's not in the same conversation, level, as Kenny Phillips - :ols: - as some have made it to be. Nothing against Phillips.

Quin is a known name. He is very good at what he does and will command a pretty penny.

He's tops in terms of passes defended. At least for a safety he is. And I haven't looked at nor am I using any stats for reference ...

Actually just did a quick search ... Quin has 17 PDs on the year, regular and post-season combined. He's 2nd behind Ed Reed (18) for all of the Safeties league wide and rivals some of the top CBs too. When you watch him, you'll see just how tight his coverage can be. how physical he gets with guys who are much larger than he and you'll see the ball skills to disrupt the completion of a pass.

Quin is a known name.

__

I don't want Tracy Porter. He is constantly letting guys overtop, always giving steps. It's was like that in New Orleans and it's like that in Denver. Aside from a handful of highlight plays (actually I can only think of the Super Bowl INT), his average play to play is not that inspiring. Gives up more than he takes away. He's not all that.

__

Sam Shields is a Restricted Free Agent. RFAs don't change teams. It's cost effective for the Parent to tender the player and even if a qualifying tender sheet is offered by a suitor, the exchange of draft picks really hinders any transactions in RFA - league wide.

Not a single RFA changed teams in 2011. To my knowledge, it was the same in 2012, in fact I don't think any offer sheets were even handed out to the 42 RFAs of 2012.

__

To my knowledge, no one has mentioned Cary Williams in here. He has already been covered in the comprehensive, Talib as well.

Cary Williams: like his ball skills, especially on deflections (tip-drill). In fact, a couple of his INTs this year were from deflected passes that he just corralled in. His length and anticipation also stand out. Part of the success has to be credited to the Baltimore D at large, but that's part and parcel with free agent acquisitions, incorporation or assimilating players from successful programs. FYI Williams has 19 PDs on the year, (5 INTs).

Very informative write up and I agree with you 100% about Carey Williams. I would rather have him than DRC & Sean Smith.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/07/2013-pff-free-agency-tracker/

Might want to add this link to the OP, List of all FA with their rankings....maybe try some money ball and sign guys that fit our needs with high rankings and low price.

FS/SS (only listing players with + ranking)

Player, POS, Year, Team, Status, Ranking, Snaps

Jairus Byrd, S 4 BUF UFA +23.7 1046

Ronde Barber, S 16 TB UFA +8.9 1101

Kenny Phillips, S 5 NYG UFA +7.4 304

William Moore, S 4 ATL UFA +6.7 774

Dashon Goldson, S 6 SF UFA +6.5 1049

Jim Leonhard, S 8 DEN UFA +4.6 271

Chris Clemons, S 4 MIA UFA +4.5 1120

Jamarca Sanford, S 4 MIN UFA +4.5 811

Stevie Brown, S 3 NYG RFA +4.1 846

Abram Elam, S 7 KC UFA +2.6 457

Corey Lynch, S 5 SD UFA +2.3 505

Amari Spievey, S 3 DET RFA +2.0 201

Chris Crocker, S 10 CIN UFA +1.5 612

Patrick Chung, S 4 NE UFA +1.4 539

James Sanders, S 8 ARI UFA +1.3 122

Glover Quin, S 4 HOU UFA +1.1 1046

Eric Frampton, S 6 DAL UFA +0.8 200

Troy Nolan, S 3 CHI RFA +0.8 106

Rashad Johnson, S 4 ARI UFA +0.4 166

Chris Maragos, S 3 SEA RFA +0.3 33

Darcel McBath, S 3 SF RFA +0.3 36

Sean Considine, S 8 BAL UFA +0.2 55

James Ihedigbo, S 6 BAL UFA +0.2 294

Ray Ventrone, S 6 CLE UFA +0.2 16

Darian Stewart, S 3 STL RFA +0.1 82

CB

Adam Jones, CB 5 CIN UFA +11.1 608

Sam Shields, CB 3 GB RFA +10.9 606

Terence Newman, CB 10 CIN UFA +8.6 878

Sheldon Brown, CB 11 CLE UFA +7.5 903

Chris Houston, CB 6 DET UFA +7.4 931

Greg Toler, CB 4 ARI UFA +6.8 308

Tony Carter, CB 4 DEN UFA +6.5 511

Darius Butler, CB 4 IND UFA +5.5 380

Chris Owens, CB 4 ATL UFA +4.9 176

Phillip Adams, CB 3 OAK RFA +4.8 178

Joselio Hanson, CB 8 OAK UFA +4.2 571

EJ Biggers, CB 4 TB UFA +3.8 816

Bradley Fletcher, CB 4 STL UFA +3.8 374

Leodis McKelvin, CB 5 BUF UFA +3.8 354

Michael Adams, CB 5 ARI UFA +3.6 77

Keenan Lewis, CB 4 PIT UFA +3.2 943

DJ Moore, CB 4 CHI UFA +3.1 368

Kyle Arrington, CB 4 NE UFA +2.6 844

Zackary Bowman, CB 5 CHI UFA +1.7 21

Bryan McCann, CB 3 MIA RFA +1.3 143

Marcus Trufant, CB 10 SEA UFA +1.1 365

Elbert Mack, CB 5 NO UFA +0.9 259

Marquice Cole, CB 4 NE UFA +0.5 199

Captain Munnerlyn, CB 4 CAR UFA +0.2 935

Josh Gordy, CB 3 IND RFA +0.1 216

DI

Desmond Bryant, DI 4 OAK UFA +16.5 645

Henry Melton, DI 4 CHI UFA +15.7 616

Mike Devito, DI 6 NYJ UFA +11.5 635

Richard Seymour, DI 12 OAK UFA* +9.5 361

Vance Walker, DI 4 ATL UFA +7.6 539

Steve McLendon, DI 3 PIT RFA +7.0 139

Justin Bannan, DI 11 DEN UFA +6.2 542

Sammie Hill, DI 4 DET UFA +5.6 419

Jason Jones, DI 5 SEA UFA +5.6 332

Aubrayo Franklin, DI 10 SD UFA +5.4 285

Nate Collins, DI 3 CHI RFA +4.9 247

Kenyon Coleman, DI 11 DAL UFA +4.7 167

Chris Baker, DI 3 WAS RFA +4.5 206

Terrance Knighton, DI 4 JAC UFA +4.2 666

Kevin Vickerson, DI 7 DEN UFA +4.0 501

Corvey Irvin, DI 3 TB RFA +3.7 85

Randy Starks, DI 9 MIA UFA +3.5 826

Spencer Johnson, DI 9 BUF UFA +2.7 268

Arthur Jones, DI 3 BAL RFA +2.4 536

Ricky Jean-Francois, DI 4 SF UFA +2.2 292

Glenn Dorsey, DI 5 KC UFA* +1.8 115

Clinton McDonald, DI 3 SEA RFA +1.8 298

Brian Schaefering, DI 4 DAL UFA +1.7 45

Andre Fluellen, DI 5 DET UFA +0.6 108

I don't just scout need. I scout upgrade. So I look at all positions.

Offensively, some guys I'm intrigued by and will most likely watch a bit more of film wise (In no order, and I'm not necessarily claiming they'd be upgrades. Just guys I want to see more of/intrigued by. And of course, there are others I'm not listing who are interesting):

*NOTE: Bolded guys are guys I'm currently VERY interested in

QB: Josh Johnson

RB: Javon Ringer, Kregg Lumpkin

WR: Brandon Gibson (I think, if we could get him for a modest contract, he'd be a TREMENDOUS upgrade), Ramses Barden

TE: Jared Cook, Delanie Walker, Martellus Bennett

OL: Phil Loadholt, Andre Smith, Jermon Bushrod, Jeremy Trueblood

Defensively:

DL: Terrance Knighton (not in love with him, and I think his cost will be more than his worth), Israel Idonije, Arthur Jones (could be a very good signing)

Rush LB: Paul Kruger, Victor Butler

ILB: Moise Fokou, Tavares Gooden, Jasper Brinkley, Channing Crowder

CB: Derek Cox, Cary Williams, Leodis McKelvin (return man as well, although Crawford seems good there), Kyle Arrington

S: Patrick Chung, Jarius Byrd (will be very costly and will likely be kept by BUF), William Moore, Corey Lynch, Kenny Phillips, Ryan Mundy, Stevie Brown

But his specialty is pass coverage. Most would assume that an "in-the-box SS" would be there for primary run support, with negating abilities in coverage. Quin however can run support as well, but he stands out in pass coverage.

He's also a bigger name than people are making him out to be. He's not in the same conversation, level, as Kenny Phillips - :ols: - as some have made it to be (implication being he's middling or "on the cheap"). Nothing against Phillips.

Actually just did a quick search ... Quin has 17 PDs on the year, regular and post-season combined. He's 2nd behind Ed Reed (18) for all of the Safeties league wide and rivals some of the top CBs too. There's not another SS who is near him in PDs, only the other Free Safeties seem to be able to rival him in PDs ... and that's just representative of the FS at large getting more action in the pass game as opposed to the SS. The safeties that are behind Reed and Quin, don't have near the same numbers (around 9 to 11 PDs). In fact league wide when you look at the stats, the next in line is Michael Huff at 13, who has been playing CB, not his usual FS, in Oakland.

So you see, he's doing something that few other safeties are doing, but it's especially poignant since he's single covering larger TEs and quick Slot receivers on SINGLE MAN.

When you watch him (Quin), you'll see just how tight his coverage can be. how physical he gets with guys who are much larger than he and you'll see the ball skills to disrupt the completion of a pass.

Quin is a known name.

__

__

Sam Shields is a Restricted Free Agent. RFAs don't change teams. It's cost effective for the Parent team to tender the player and even if a qualifying tender sheet is offered by a suitor team, the exchange of draft picks (compensation based on tender) really hinders any transactions in RFA - league wide.

Not a single RFA changed teams in 2011. To my knowledge, it was the same in 2012. In fact, I don't think any offer sheets were even handed out to any of the 42 RFAs, of 2012.

__

I question Cary Williams's ball skills. Sure he has 5 picks this year but he had a grand total of 0 in his first 4 seasons. Perhaps, he has improved but I definitely don't want Carlos Rogers in DC 2.0. If he is SF Carlos Rogers 2.0, I'd give him another look. Keenan Lewis's lack of ball skills are why I don't want him.

Before looking at others teams players... I'd like to comment on ours.

Offense:

-Rex Grossman, Quarterback (32) - Let go if he wants too, sign someone else.

-Darrell Young, Fullback (25) - Hopefully Rsign

-Fred Davis, Tightend (26) - Think we should resign

-Chris Cooley, Tightend (30) - Doubt we resign

-Jordan Black, Offensive Tackle (32) (suspended for PED/2 games left on his 4 game suspension) - Let go

-Tyler Polumbus, Offensive Tackle (27) - Maybe resign

-Kory Lichtensteiger, Left Guard/Center (27) - Maybe resign

Defense:

-Lorenzo Alexander, Outside/Inside Linebacker (29) - Resign

-Rob Jackson, Outside LInebacker/Playmaker (27) (RFA)* - - Resign/extend

-Chris Wilson, Outside Linebacker (30) - Let go.

-Bryan Kehl, Outside Linebacker/Inside Linebacker (28) - no idea

-Chris Baker, Nose Tackle (25) - no idea

-Kedric Golston, Defensive End (29) - thinking, let go.

-Cedric Griffin, Cornerback (30) - no way

-David Jones, Cornerback (27) - no idea

-Madieu Williams, Free Safety (31) - maybe

-Sav Rocca, Punter (39) - maybe

signing our OL talent depends greatly on what we think we can replace it with.

Read my mind. Weren't both those guys drafted in the same year? And also the name Glenn Dorsey sort of pops into my mind whenever Merling or Balmer are mentioned. :whoknows:

Yeah, they were both drafted in 08'. Balmer was drafted #29 and Merling went #32.

We've got the makings of a grade A d-line if Carriker and Neild come back healthy...

Coefield, Neild, Carriker.

Jenkins, Baker, Bowen.

Merling and Worthington as reserves/camp competition.

And Golston is in the mix, too.

Archived