Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 FA Thread (Updates on OP) New: Merling, Brace, Pashos, Trueblood, EJBig, Tapp, White, Williams, MATTHEWS; Re-up: Rex, Hall, Davis, Paulsen, DY, RJax, Lich, Sundberg, Baker, Sav, Golston, Kehl, Polumbus; Paycuts: Carriker, Moss, BMeri, J. Wilson

DC9

According to TMM75 courtesy of Twitter:

The 'Skins have signed Phillip Merling if anyone is familiar with him.

Nice. I was hoping we would draft him in the 08' draft, but he went at #32, two picks before our 1st 2nd rounder. He's a big DE, 6'5" 315. Ideal size as a 3-4 end. FYI, he's from VA...hometown Portsmouth. Went to Fork Union.

Insurance in case Carriker doesn't fully recover from his ACL injury?

Tyrann Mathieu in rd. 4.QUOTE]

No way in hell do I want that kid in Washington next year. He's going to be the next Pac-man in regards to off field issues but without the talent. No thanks.

Safety has to be the #1 concern going into FA. Ive never been more embarassed of our safety play, especially after the @NY Giants game. How do you let that happen? I would love spending money on any of the safeties..

-Dashon Goldson, Free Safety, San Francisico (28)

-William Moore, Free Safety, Atlanta (27)

-Jairus Byrd, Free Safety, Buffalo (26)

-Glover Quin, Free Safety, Houston (26)

-Kenny Phillips, Free Safety, New York Giants (26)

These two sound like the types who could drop to us in the 2nd and could be good fits:

Tennessee’s Dallas Thomas continues the trend of athletic blockers that are a bit light in the pants. He has the athleticism and quickness to play on the edge in the NFL, but must get stronger and add more bulk to his frame. The ability is there to slide from side to side in pass protection, but also get out and block on the move. Thomas has extensive experience at both tackle and guard, and could play either spot in the NFL. He struggles at the point of attack and powerful defenders can push him around in both run blocking and in pass protection. Whether at guard or tackle, Thomas will have to get stronger maximize his athletic gifts. Brennan Williams of North Carolina projects as a very solid right tackle prospect. He is a decent athlete, but not at the left of protecting a quarterbacks blind side. He has great size, has the strength to move defenders off the line, and can play with a mean streak making him a quality run blocker. Williams’ senior season ended prematurely due to labrum surgery on his shoulder, and it’s something to watch in the post season.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 03:23 PM ----------

Sounds like more speed and beef for the middle.

No. He is a classic 3-4 DE and this is what he played in Miami.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 03:25 PM ----------

Yea, the 9ers have a lot of studs on that D. They cant afford to keep them all. But like you said depending on the Cap idk if we would be able to make it work. But he would bring that nasty attitude we haven't really had on D for a while.

I've heard Dashon Goldson is to the 49ers as Roy Williams was to the Cowboys...overrated...pass

Tyrann Mathieu in rd. 4.QUOTE]

No way in hell do I want that kid in Washington next year. He's going to be the next Pac-man in regards to off field issues but without the talent. No thanks.

Without the talent??? Tyrann Mathieu is extremely dynamic. The only thing he lacks is size but he makes up for it with his playmaking ability...

These are the estimated tag numbers for 2013 per nfl.com. Seems to me like it will be difficult to pick up a top safety in FA given there relatively 'low' tag number. They look like an easy option to tag for teams if they can be. I believe Goldson's number would be over $7m given it would be his second tag.

CB: Franchise: $10.668 Transition: $8.939

DE: Franchise: $10.984 Transition: $8.994

DT: Franchise: $8.306 Transition: $6.919

K/P: Franchise: $2.926 Transition: $2.654

LB: Franchise: $9.455 Transition: $8.216

OL: Franchise: $9.660 Transition: $8.560

QB: Franchise: $14.642 Transition: $12.845

RB: Franchise: $8.079 Transition: $6.851

S: Franchise: $6.798 Transition: $5.899

TE: Franchise: $5.962 Transition: $5.105

WR: Franchise: $10.357 Transition: $8.716

Without the talent??? Tyrann Mathieu is extremely dynamic. The only thing he lacks is size but he makes up for it with his playmaking ability...

Seriously. If Vontaze Burfict can overcome his litany of issues, why can't this kid overcome a light addiction to marijuana?

I'd rather go for Kenny Phillips and Tracy Porter. Phillips is going to be cheaper per the reasons mentioned in this thread. Porter is going to be cheap as well. No one offered him a multi-year contract last offseason to his liking. This season he had a seizure and missed half the season and lost his job in the process to Chris Harris.

With all the injuries on defense this year, I'd wonder if they'd sign two guys with durability issues. Porter had that rap last year when he was a FA and am gathering he wasn't at least it seemed a hot FA target for teams I'd gather for that reason thereby had to do a 1 year contract. Phillips it seems is out 4 games or so or more every year for the Giants.

This is huge. This is one guy we need to bring back on a multi-year deal. One year is not an option. On the defensive side of the ball, you can't have enough quality depth in this league.

but how much money you think Rob Jackson is going to ask for?

If we can get him for "cheap" for 3-4 year contract it would be great ala L. Alexander but who knows maybe Rob Jackson think he can start somewhere if he just signs the 1 year contract next year and hit the FA.

With all the injuries on defense this year, I'd wonder if they'd sign two guys with durability issues. Porter had that rap last year when he was a FA and am gathering he wasn't at least it seemed a hot FA target for teams I'd gather for that reason thereby had to do a 1 year contract. Phillips it seems is out 4 games or so or more every year for the Giants.

Good point but in my proposed lineups we have enough quality depth to overcome potential injuries to these 2 guys. One thing I've learned about the NFL is that even if you have the cap space to spend, don't do it. It pays to get these hungry highly talented "scrap heap" guys instead and focus on building quality depth, which is why I love what Shanny has done by consistently trading down in the draft to stack up picks.

The NFL these days is a game of attrition. Every team complains about their injury bug and how they are the hardest hit team in the league but you have to plan on losing at least 4-6 key players for the season or significant stretches in today's NFL. The Rob Jacksons, Josh LeRibeus's, Jarvis Jenkins and heck the Morris's of the world (he did get his shot due to the injuries in camp!) are essential for getting to the playoffs and winning Super Bowls.

Furthermore, if you build the depth in camp and have to let some of these guys go during cuts, you can bring many back about ready to go during the season as injuries pile up.

I saw on John Clayton's article

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy

that the skins are $4.1m over after accounting for carryover cap?

Though I'm no cap expert I feel we may not have enough cap to sign more than 1 marquee FA this year. If that is the case, I would go for a great Safety, that would be Jarius Byrd or Dashon Goldson or Kenny Phillips. Together with Tanard Jackson, Gomes, Doughty we could shore up the secondary, which IMO is the weakest link we have.

I know RT is another concern but watching the running games during the winning streak, Tyler Polumbus was getting it done on the running game though his pass blocking needs improvement.

It seems like we are always in this position. Im sure contracts will be worked out and we will be able to sign some guys. Not too worried about it yet.

but how much money you think Rob Jackson is going to ask for?

If we can get him for "cheap" for 3-4 year contract it would be great ala L. Alexander but who knows maybe Rob Jackson think he can start somewhere if he just signs the 1 year contract next year and hit the FA.

Rob Jackson is a man who has made less than $1.2M over his 5 year NFL career. I think if you give him a 7 figure signing bonus, he is back here.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 02:06 PM ----------

[/color]

I thought about that and thought it was overkill. But since you mentioned it, yes, I'll add that to the OP!

Thanks, it will be interesting what coaches (if any) are rplaced or move on to other positions.

Safety has to be the #1 concern going into FA. Ive never been more embarassed of our safety play, especially after the @NY Giants game. How do you let that happen? I would love spending money on any of the safeties..

-Dashon Goldson, Free Safety, San Francisico (28)

-William Moore, Free Safety, Atlanta (27)

-Jairus Byrd, Free Safety, Buffalo (26)

-Glover Quin, Free Safety, Houston (26)

-Kenny Phillips, Free Safety, New York Giants (26)

Phillips -- durability concerns -- so we likely got to deal with M. Williams or another backup playing at least 1/4 of the season. He IMO is a good but far from great player so I do weigh durability with him.

Byrd and Goldson -- I think the team franchises them or if not they will be too expensive

Quinn is young and durable, played great last week against Cincy.

W. Moore has had hamstring issues this year and has missed games in his career.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 04:17 PM ----------

Wow interesting. Byrd by a mile is ranked tops statistically. It would seem a no brainer to me though for the Bills to franchise him or he gets a big time contract so I doubt he's in play.

I had a huge write up and it got messed up. I was saying it is much easier to maneuver around the cap situation now because we can just backload after the 1st year insetad of 2. I really don't see it affecting us that much this year.

I predict one big signing and a couple of under the radar/underrated signings of young, very solid guys

so my FA signings would be:

WR: Mike Wallace

CB: Derek Cox

FS: Glover Quin

RT: Ryan Harris

**If we cut ties with both T-Jax and Merriweather** Sign William Moore for SS

Resign: Davis, Jackson, Alexander

He isn't a free agent, but it appears that Percy Harvin may be on the market this offseason as well. Here's a recent PFT article implying as much:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/08/christian-ponder-isnt-sure-whether-percy-harvin-will-be-back/

There is no denying that he is an amazing talent, if not a bit of a malcontent, although to his credit he seems to always air his grievances in private, and doesn't create any media circuses. However, the prospect of being on a young, up and coming team with a Super Bowl winning coach and one of the most exciting QBs in the league throwing him the ball and hey, maybe that attitude goes out the window. It's amazing what winning does to a person's outlook.

That being said, I don't know what the price or process would be to get him. Given his status, picking him up may require draft picks, something we don't exactly have a surplus of right now. I don't know how it works quite frankly, but wanted to bring his name into the discussion. The Vikings are shooting themselves in the foot in terms of value that they're going to get for him if everyone knows that they'd like to gt rid of him.

Hey guys I just got done playing Madden and traded Orakpo for Harvin straight up! He was a BEAST with RG3!!!

In all seriousness though, I would love Harvin on this team. I have no clue what it would cost to get him, but if it wasn’t TOO much I think we’d have to consider it. The dynamic play making ability of him, Garcon, and RG3, combined with the consistency of AlMo running the ball would just be brutal for defenses.

I predict one big signing and a couple of under the radar/underrated signings of young, very solid guys

so my FA signings would be:

WR: Mike Wallace

CB: Derek Cox

FS: Glover Quin

RT: Ryan Harris

I'd rather our huge signing (that we don't have money for) be someone other than Mike Wallace. No complaints about the next two, but why Ryan Harris? I'd rather we just play Maurice Hurt/Tom Compton instead. Harris has been injury plagued and has been on a lot of different teams lately, including two in the past season. I think it's telling if Houston doesn't want him back since they have RT issues of their own, and run the same scheme.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 04:39 PM ----------

No way would Mike Wallace help this team. He runs one route and is junk everywhere else. No thanks If you want a big receiver go Greg Jennings.

Greg Jennings has had nagging injuries the past two seasons. The Packers are letting him walk because they can't rely on him. We should just let someone else overpay for someone with injury issues.

Mathieu is not a great prospect to start with. Doesn't have the size needed.

How can people still say something so ignorant. I know a certain Redskins CB that was 5-9 and did alright with us while he played.

People thinking like that and letting him slip is exactly what created value for the other teams not blinded by such ignorant thoughts

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 04:53 PM ----------

I'd rather our huge signing (that we don't have money for) be someone other than Mike Wallace. No complaints about the next two, but why Ryan Harris? I'd rather we just play Maurice Hurt/Tom Compton instead. Harris has been injury plagued and has been on a lot of different teams lately, including two in the past season. I think it's telling if Houston doesn't want him back since they have RT issues of their own, and run the same scheme.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 04:39 PM ----------

Greg Jennings has had nagging injuries the past two seasons. The Packers are letting him walk because they can't rely on him. We should just let someone else overpay for someone with injury issues.

Wallace would be an upgrade times 100 over anyone on the roster to line up next to Garcon. Harris will come cheap, and is much more talented than any of those guys when he plays. If he stays healthy its so worth it

Archived