Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 FA Thread (Updates on OP) New: Merling, Brace, Pashos, Trueblood, EJBig, Tapp, White, Williams, MATTHEWS; Re-up: Rex, Hall, Davis, Paulsen, DY, RJax, Lich, Sundberg, Baker, Sav, Golston, Kehl, Polumbus; Paycuts: Carriker, Moss, BMeri, J. Wilson

DC9

Would like skins to look at Jared Cook.

Both Fred Davis and Jared Cook ended the year on IR, so price wise should not be too expensive.

Cook is athletic 6'5" 250 4.5 40 i think. - Titans will most likely try to sign him, but not franchise, so I think we have a chance at him.

What about Kenny Phillips at safety? The Giants might be willing to let him walk with Stevie Brown's emergence. I want no part of DRC. To soft to play on the defense. He wants no part of tackling.

Should probably wait until he's an outright FA before we put him on the list. Is he up this year?

That just seems ridiculous to me when Seattle can win appeals to get players back in time to play games, and he won't even be able to back for the offseason workouts.

Well, he got a year off for repeated substance violations. They were first timers.

But I agree, **** Mara!

Should probably wait until he's an outright FA before we put him on the list. Is he up this year?

From my list on page 3:

Safety

Jairus Byrd

Dashon Goldson

Ed Reed

Ronde Barber

William Moore

Louis Delmas

Pat Chung

Chris Clemons

Glover Quin

Kenny Phillips

LaRon Landry

Yeremiah Bell

Jamarca Sanford

Nate Clements

Jim Leonhard

Abram Elam

Sherrod Martin

Corey Lynch

Craig Dahl

Madieu Williams

Chris Crocker

Ryan Mundy

Rashad Johnson

O.J. Atogwe

Matt Giordano

Tanard Jackson

Brodney Pool

Michael Mitchell

Gibril Wilson

Deon Grant

Melvin Bullitt

Erik Coleman

A few guys we need to resign:

Baker

Guys worth considering as backup to resign:

Golston

To me, this is where one of the most interesting battles of this next offseason will be.

Chris Neild is coming back from IR... and he was a bulldog last season (2011). Baker emerged and shined in spot duty this year. Do you bring back Golston and let one of your "true" NT's go in Baker/Neild?

We talk about it all the time, and Cofield has played much better at NT this season, but I still think he is more effective if you move him to DE and you'll essentially have 2 starting caliber lines:

Line 1:

DE Cofield

NT Neild

DE Carriker

Line 1(a):

DE Jenkins

NT Baker

DE Bowen

That's just plain scary with Orakpo, Jackson, Kerrigan, and the rest of the LBs coming back healthy.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 01:57 PM ----------

That just seems ridiculous to me when Seattle can win appeals to get players back in time to play games, and he won't even be able to back for the offseason workouts.

Unfortunately that was a chain of custody issue. Basically, the League's specimen collecter botched the sample so it was legally insufficient. If the NFL suspended the Sherminator then he would've sewed and won big time. It's a shame.

Don't worry though, our breaks are coming.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 01:59 PM ----------

Tanard can play, but the biggest issue, besides waiting for him to slip up, is he will miss the whole offseason.

This has to be a top priority. Getting him eligible to play. I'm sure PD93 has done well with him this season. He's done well with Trent and Freddy D, no reason to think that Tanard couldn't turn it around with Daniels' helping if Tanard wanted to.

But then, Shanahan seldom looks for big name/high talent linemen. Most are high round rookies or UDFA.

Sad reflection on our RT position, but 4 of the 8 worse rated free agent OT by Pro Football Focus, play for or played for the Redskins recently.

I agree with this. I'd look for Compton to be the main competition at starting RT going into camp. Well probably him and a late round draft pick.

Tanard? He was signed to a 1 year deal with nothing guaranteed because he has a substance problem. This was his chance to earn a paycheck and play well. He failed himself and his team by getting suspended. I don't want him back.

We signed him knowing that he had an appeal pending. He's not done.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 02:06 PM ----------

Anyway we can add a "Coaches" section to this thread or is that too much? Would be nice to keep track of the coaches who leave, are promoted, or are brought in.

I thought about that and thought it was overkill. But since you mentioned it, yes, I'll add that to the OP!

This has to be a top priority. Getting him eligible to play. I'm sure PD93 has done well with him this season. He's done well with Trent and Freddy D, no reason to think that Tanard couldn't turn it around with Daniels' helping if Tanard wanted to.

Yep, and that is the crux of it. He has the talent, needs the will. I am not pessimistic, but not really optimistic either.

Santana Moss' base salary jumps from $2.65 million in 2012 to $4.15 million in 2013.

Moss held up well in the slot, leading the team with eight touchdowns.

He turns 34 in June, however, and his salary is prohibitive for a declining receiver who no longer makes plays after the catch. Moss will likely be asked to take a pay cut.

Source: Rich Campbell on Twitter

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/01/08/redskins-sign-five-players-to-futures-contracts/

Redskins sign five players to futures contracts

Posted by Mike Jones on January 8, 2013 at 12:11 pm

The Redskins have signed five of their practice squad players to futures contracts, according to the NFL’s transaction report.

By doing so, Washington controls their rights through the offseason, and the players will be able to take part in OTAs.

Signing those futures contracts were nose tackle Chigbo Anunoby, defensive lineman Dominique Hamilton, fullback Eric Kettani, cornerback Korey Lindsey and tight end DeAngelo Peterson.

Last week the Redskins signed linebacker Ricky Elmore and safety Devin Holland to futures contracts.

I agree with this. I'd look for Compton to be the main competition at starting RT going into camp. Well probably him and a late round draft pick.

Thinking about this and RGIII. I know our secondary sucks, but giving up a TD pass is not going to cripple Griffin. Giving up sacks will. If there's an OL who's better than any of our starters, except maybe Lichtensteiger, in round 2, esp. RT, take him. Yeah, i know we have last year's class to compete. If there's a 2nd rounder worth drafting because he's an immediate upgrade from our current starting line, then he's most like better than LeRibs, Gettis, or Compton. Let them compete.

My sleeper pick as potential slightly lower priced option would be Kenny Phillips. I understand the guy has had some injury issues, but I think he makes a difference on that Giant's defense when he's been healthy and playing. He's still rather young and brings some good skill and big hitting to the secondary, though seems to have a better head on his shoulders for the latter part than Landry did. I also know he was a big Sean Taylor fan, so it'd be interesting to see if the thought of playing in the Redskins backfield would be attractive to him.

Does anyone with access to PFF's advanced statistics know where he ranked while healthy?

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/2/3825328/the-new-york-giants-defense-with-kenny-phillips

Not PFF, but some interesting analysis in here.

Outside of the first round O-lineman rarely come in and start, they need time to develop. We have drafted a few projects over the last few years. Is there no feeling that we could potentially have a starting RT already on the team? Hurt, Willie Smith, Compton? If there is a starter in FA that we can sign, absolutely, I just dont want to overlook some potential "homegrown" talent.

Thinking about this and RGIII. I know our secondary sucks, but giving up a TD pass is not going to cripple Griffin. Giving up sacks will. If there's an OL who's better than any of our starters, except maybe Lichtensteiger, in round 2, esp. RT, take him. Yeah, i know we have last year's class to compete. If there's a 2nd rounder worth drafting because he's an immediate upgrade from our current starting line, then he's most like better than LeRibs, Gettis, or Compton. Let them compete.

I definitely agree - especially at T where you're dealing more with the speed rushers. Ideally, I'd want somebody who can play RT or LT and come in for Trent if he goes down. That can be valuable. But I don't really see Shanny doing it. That being said, he did spend a second on LeRibus last year, so its possible. Maybe it depends on the draft class and the free agent class. One thing I don't want to see is another guy like Mike Williams coming in for a workout.

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 02:31 PM ----------

Also, with regard to the CB spots, I'd say that we've got some potential talent with Richard Crawford and Chase Minnifield. I know Chase was hurt last year and there's a question as to how he'll be when he gets back, but Richard showed some of his talents against Dallas and I was pulling for him to get more PT outside. Not saying we should ignore CBs but I think that it should be less of a priority than say DLine / pass rush help. I think that's how we're going to win games in 2012. I was saying this in the game day thread against seattle and most of our winning streak that we were improving on defense by blitzing and bringing pressure. If we can get more guys who can bring pressure without blitzing then it only improves our defense. What was killing us this year was when QBs had 5-10 seconds to find a WR and make a play.

My sleeper pick as potential slightly lower priced option would be Kenny Phillips. I understand the guy has had some injury issues, but I think he makes a difference on that Giant's defense when he's been healthy and playing. He's still rather young and brings some good skill and big hitting to the secondary, though seems to have a better head on his shoulders for the latter part than Landry did. I also know he was a big Sean Taylor fan, so it'd be interesting to see if the thought of playing in the Redskins backfield would be attractive to him.

I think the big thing for us is that he can come cheap with a (prove it) contract. He's an injury risk, but due to the Mara penalty, we don't have many options with our limited money. If he can stay healthy, our D gets a ton better. He directly fixes a huge portion of what our defense sucks at. Preventing big plays. He's not a big turnover guy, but he makes the defense far more consistent.

Because of the Mara penalty, I'm actually fine rolling the dice with Kenny Phillips, Brandon Meriweather, and Tanard Jackson. That's a lot of upside for very cheap. Even if Phillips only plays half the season, that's still a monstrous upgrade for 8 games. I'd still like to draft a safety but the rewards far outweigh the risks here.

Kenny Phillips

Yup, that name stuck out like a sore thumb.

That's still really good, they expand on a lot of issues that PFF can have. It helps puts things in perspective and goes over several variables. Thanks for the link.

http://cpnd.us/pcinoz/Salary_Cap_2013_Post_Capgate.htm

Possible 2013 salary cap situation with cap gate penalty applied

49 players currently under contract for 2013 105.452

Current Dead Cap 1.978

Current Cap Number 107.430

PROJECTED NFL SALARY CAP IN 2013 120.000

Add: Carryover from 2012 0.000

Less: Cap Penalty (18.000)

REDSKINS ADJUSTED CAP POSITION 102.000 *****

I saw on John Clayton's article

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy

that the skins are $4.1m over after accounting for carryover cap?

Though I'm no cap expert I feel we may not have enough cap to sign more than 1 marquee FA this year. If that is the case, I would go for a great Safety, that would be Jarius Byrd or Dashon Goldson or Kenny Phillips. Together with Tanard Jackson, Gomes, Doughty we could shore up the secondary, which IMO is the weakest link we have.

I know RT is another concern but watching the running games during the winning streak, Tyler Polumbus was getting it done on the running game though his pass blocking needs improvement.

....My sleeper pick as potential slightly lower priced option would be Kenny Phillips. I understand the guy has had some injury issues, but I think he makes a difference on that Giant's defense when he's been healthy and playing. He's still rather young and brings some good skill and big hitting to the secondary, though seems to have a better head on his shoulders for the latter part than Landry did. I also know he was a big Sean Taylor fan, so it'd be interesting to see if the thought of playing in the Redskins backfield would be attractive to him.

Does anyone with access to PFF's advanced statistics know where he ranked while healthy?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-safeties/

Secondary:

I love the Jairus Byrds and Brent Grimes of the world but I would not spend the big bucks there. I'd rather go for Kenny Phillips and Tracy Porter. Phillips is going to be cheaper per the reasons mentioned in this thread. Porter is going to be cheap as well. No one offered him a multi-year contract last offseason to his liking. This season he had a seizure and missed half the season and lost his job in the process to Chris Harris.

However, he is 26 and has proven that he is at the minimum an average starting corner. I'd let Griffin go, restructure Hall and give Porter a 1-2 year deal. We can then start Hall and Porter and move Wilson to the slot where he was most effective in Seattle and then Baltimore.

The key at CB and S is to supplement the depth here with mid-round picks. Thus, I'd think about taking a guy like a Baccari Rambo in rd. 3 and Tyrann Mathieu in rd. 4.

I'd bring Tanard back as well on the minimum so that we can go with Phillips, Merriweather, Tanard, Rambo and Doughty/Gomes at safety and Hall, Porter, Wilson, Mathieu and Crawford at CB (with Minnifield on the PS).

---------- Post added January-8th-2013 at 03:15 PM ----------

According to TMM75 courtesy of Twitter:

The 'Skins have signed Phillip Merling if anyone is familiar with him.

Sneaky pickup! I liked him a lot when he was coming out of the 2008 draft. He had a solid career in Miami that was derailed by the poison death Achilles injury. He could be a guy who potentially replaces Worthington.

Archived